XBL Deals|7/4 Only- Witcher2, OrangeBox, More | 7/5 Only-Hitman:Absolution $10, More | ME3: Omega | BL2 DLC (Gold) | FREE Defense Grid (Gold) | MORE

Status
Not open for further replies.

tylerh1701

CAGiversary!
Feedback
190 (100%)
Here is a list of all the current and upcoming Xbox Live Marketplace Sales for the USA. This includes the Deal of the Week, KINECT Central sale item(s), and any other 3rd-party sales or promotions. We have also included the upcoming Xbox Live Arcade releases in the 2nd post. Most sales are for one week. Feel free to post if you see anything not listed here.

Please note:

• All known sales and information on sales are in the OP. Major Nelson usually updates us with new sales information every other Tuesday. When offers are validated by Moderators, it will be added to the OP as time permits.
  • ALL OFFERS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE! No information within this thread can or should be construed as accurate (or still valid), therefore ...
  • Always verify Xbox Live Marketplace prices before your purchase!
  • Some sales are intended for GOLD MEMBERS ONLY, as noted within each section.
  • Spend wisely, have fun, and enjoy!

7/2 - 7/8 ... Borderlands DLC

7/9 - 7/15 ... Dishonored and Metal Gear Rising DLC and More

• Dishonored Games on Demand - Price Unknown
    DLC - The Knife of Dunwall - 400 MSP (50% off)
  • DLC - Dunwall City Trials - 200 MSP (50% off)
  • DLC - Void Walkers Arsenal - 160 MSP (50% off)

[*]Metal Gear Rising Revengeance DLC
  • Jetstream - 400 MSP (50% off)
  • Raiden Custom Body - 80 MSP (50% off)
  • Bladewolf  - 320 MSP (43% off)

[*]XBLA - Battle: Los Angeles - 400 MSP (50% off)

• Confirmed as future free games: Halo 3

Sales & Specials: Open to Everyone!
NOTE ... if the start & end dates are not well-defined, ACT FAST! since these
"sales" could end anytime. However, they may also be permanent markdowns.

Ultimate Game One Day Sales:

7/2 ... Day One:

7/3 ... Day Two:

7/4 ... Day Three:

7/5 ... Day Four: (will last through 7/7)

7/2 - 7/8 ... Ultimate Games Persistent Sales:

* =  Want to Buy Games On Demand Using Microsoft Points? [customspoiler="GonD with MSP"]
Often overlooked, GoD are by default displayed in dollars both on Xbox.com as well as on the console, but on the very-first confirmation screen of the download process is the option to use Microsoft Points in place of real-world currency.

Through the console, after first selecting to download a GoD you are greeted by a familiar gray confirmation screen that pops up displaying the size of the download as well as confirming the price. At the bottom of this gray pop-up is the instruction to press the "X button" in order to change the payment type to MSP. Pictured below with an arrow:
confirmation.jpg

On Xbox.com they've made it much more obvious, the confirmation "extra step" pop-up after clicking the download link displays a link that simply says "Use Microsoft Points" directly under the price in dollars at the top of the page.

The more you know....[/customspoiler]

Kinect Central sales

7/2 - ??? ... Unannounced Rocksmith DLC Markdowns

7/2 - ??? ... Other Unannounced Markdowns

7/2 - 7/8 ... Robocop and Fast and Furious Avatar Sale

• Please check the avatar store on your Xbox 360 for more information

7/9 - 7/15 ... Just Dance 4

• Price and content unknown

Monthly Marketplace Markdowns
Announced ... as confirmed on the Xbox 360's own dashboard, or corroborated from other sources (PSN, dev/pub, etc).

Unannounced ... from Xbox.com scrapes. *These may or may not be permanent, so judge accordingly.

Unannounced Price Drops for July:

* =  Want to Buy Games On Demand Using Microsoft Points? [customspoiler="GonD with MSP"]
Often overlooked, GoD are by default displayed in dollars both on Xbox.com as well as on the console, but on the very-first confirmation screen of the download process is the option to use Microsoft Points in place of real-world currency.

Through the console, after first selecting to download a GoD you are greeted by a familiar gray confirmation screen that pops up displaying the size of the download as well as confirming the price. At the bottom of this gray pop-up is the instruction to press the "X button" in order to change the payment type to MSP. Pictured below with an arrow:
confirmation.jpg

On Xbox.com they've made it much more obvious, the confirmation "extra step" pop-up after clicking the download link displays a link that simply says "Use Microsoft Points" directly under the price in dollars at the top of the page.

The more you know....[/customspoiler]

Last edited by a moderator:
Went ahead and tried the demo for Guardian Heroes. I'm not a fan of the jumping mechanics and the controls could use some improvement.

But for 400 points, it's worth it. The graphics are pretty good and the story is entertaining. It looks like there are times where you choose what your characters do next and it affects the storyline. I don't recall playing a side scrolling fighting game that allowed you to do that before.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Going by my logic only these games worth buying so far this year: Bioshock (only game worth buying near full retail price), Tomb Raider, Battle Block Theater, DMC, Metal Gear and Skulls of the Shogun. Sounds about right for the first few months.[/QUOTE]
I guess I'm glad that I don't fit this generic mold of what a gamer should be buying. I tend to find the sorts of titles that get more of a mixed reaction more enjoyable and worth my time/money.

[quote name='tylerh1701']I enjoyed The Baconing enough, but it's the worst of the 3 Deathspanks. It's just more Deathspank, if you don't enjoy the gameplay of the first 2, I don't think there's anything in The Baconing that will change your mind.[/QUOTE]
That and the Comic Jumper spot on the list bugged me because neither game is anywhere near as bad as the rest of the list.

[quote name='sicsonic']I'm guessing you've never played Hydrophobia, Amy, Daggerdale, Comic Jumper, Deadliest Warrior, The Baconing, The Warriors: Street Brawl, Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime, Ugly Americans: Apolcalypsegeddon, NBA Unrivaled, Nexuiz, Real Steel, Battle: LA, Rush'n Attack: Ex-Patriot, The Expendables 2:the video game, or TMNT Turtles in Time: Re-Shelled, have you?[/QUOTE]

Wow, ok.

I think everyone misunderstood me here. These games for the most part AREN'T BAD (well some are), they were just very disappointing (to me, and others I feel). There's more I didn't list that could be on there, too. I actually really like a couple of these games (like TMNT re-shelled, Nexuiz, The Baconing), but I just can admit they were also huge disappointments because they could have been a WHOLE lot better.

[quote name='StryderOmega']You thought Ghostbusters, Real Steel, and expendables 2 were going to live to expectations?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...[/QUOTE]

Ha, I missed this post. This made me genuinely laugh.

I think everybody had hope for that Ghostbusters game before it came out, I remember that. It was like maybe they could redeem themselves for the retail one, but alas, they couldn't.

the other 2, yeah, i had expectations that'd they would be absolutely terrible, but they still completely went beyond those and just blew my mind with disappointment hahaha.

[quote name='Cage017']Went ahead and tried the demo for Guardian Heroes. I'm not a fan of the jumping mechanics and the controls could use some improvement.

But for 400 points, it's worth it. The graphics are pretty good and the story is entertaining. It looks like there are times where you choose what your characters do next and it affects the storyline. I don't recall playing a side scrolling fighting game that allowed you to do that before.[/QUOTE]
The only other side scrolling brawler I remember that did this was peace keepers on the snes...

[quote name='skonson']Yes every XBLA game does have a trial. But some of us, or many of us, due to stupid backlogs and small Microsoft harddrives don't have the space to download and possibly don't want to waste the bandwidth and time either. I often just buy things rather than trial them as it's such a pain for me to try and free up some space that if I don't end up buying the game I hate myself for wasting my time shuffling things around and making the space available anyhow. For some reason I swear I'm the exact reason why MS has small harddrives.[/QUOTE]

This makes no sense to me. I feel I'm saving my time and money with trials. Spending the 10 minutes to try it out lets me know if it's something I'll like. It's going to take the same amount of HDD space and bandwidth anyway. The only difference is, when I don't like the trial, I delete it and save the $10 for something I'll appreciate.

Buying every game just because it's there never sounds like a CheapAss move to me. But then again, I'm not a backlog harpy.

So I asked this before, but didn't get a response. How long has it taken you guys to see a punch on your card? I bought the following:

Dust: An Elysian Tail™ Arcade Game 4/5/2013
Mark of the Ninja Arcade Game 4/3/2013
Castle Crashers Arcade Game 4/3/2013

And Still haven't gotten a single punch:cry: any insight would be appreciated

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']So I asked this before, but didn't get a response. How long has it taken you guys to see a punch on your card? I bought the following:

And Still haven't gotten a single punch:cry: any insight would be appreciated[/QUOTE]

It says it takes 3-5 days for the punches to show. For what it's worth, I bought Battleblock Theater on 4/3/2013, and I have 2 punches of 5 hours each on the first card, 3 punches for the second card, and 1 punch for 800 points on the last card. Not really sure how I got 3 punches on the second one.

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']So I asked this before, but didn't get a response. How long has it taken you guys to see a punch on your card? I bought the following:

And Still haven't gotten a single punch:cry: any insight would be appreciated[/QUOTE]
I got an Xbox Live Gold punch two days after I bought Bionic Commando Rearmed for 400 MSP game through the Sales & Specials app. Today will be the fourth day since I bought both Retro City Rampage and Mark of the Ninja for 600 MSP each. I haven't received any additional punches for for Xbox Live Gold, nor have I received any punches for the 800 MSP punchcard. Even though my total is now good for two punches on the 800 MSP card.

I have two punches for the Avatar punchcard, but after the first five hours I stopped keeping track of my time. I've just been trying to add to my special wins in Spelunky.

*edit*

I just looked more closely at your purchase dates. We're pretty much in the same boat. Our earliest pending punches were qualified on April 3, and we haven't received those punches yet.

The only curious thing is I got the Bionic Commando punch after two days, but for Retro City Rampage and Mark of the Ninja I'm now going on four days without a punch. Maybe punch updates have to be done manually, and I got the Bionic Commando punch so quickly because I beat the rush of purchases that were made when so many games went on sale Tuesday.

Well, we're still in the three to five days window, so I'm not worried yet.

[quote name='BFBB Delicious']It says it takes 3-5 days for the punches to show. For what it's worth, I bought Battleblock Theater on 4/3/2013, and I have 2 punches of 5 hours each on the first card, 3 punches for the second card, and 1 punch for 800 points on the last card. Not really sure how I got 3 punches on the second one.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='deadofnight']I got an Xbox Live Gold punch two days after I bought Bionic Commando Rearmed for 400 MSP game through the Sales & Specials app. Today will be the fourth day since I bought both Retro City Rampage and Mark of the Ninja for 600 MSP each. I haven't received any additional punches for for Xbox Live Gold, nor have I received any punches for the 800 MSP punchcard. Even though my total is now good for two punches on the 800 MSP card.

I have two punches for the Avatar punchcard, but after the first five hours I stopped keeping track of my time. I've just been trying to add to my special wins in Spelunky.

*edit*

I just looked more closely at your purchase dates. We're pretty much in the same boat. Our earliest pending punches were qualified on April 3, and we haven't received those punches yet.

The only curious thing is I got the Bionic Commando punch after two days, but for Retro City Rampage and Mark of the Ninja I'm now going on four days without a punch. Maybe punch updates have to be done manually, and I got the Bionic Commando punch so quickly because I beat the rush of purchases that were made when so many games went on sale Tuesday.

Well, we're still in the three to five days window, so I'm not worried yet.[/QUOTE]

tahnks for the updates, i guess i should wait till tuesday before i start getting nervous:whistle2:?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Anyone know if you get punches on your punch card for buying Pinbal FX2 tables? Was thinking of getting the Star Wars set.[/QUOTE]

apparently it is considered DLC, so that'd be a no:cry:

[quote name='BFBB Delicious']It says it takes 3-5 days for the punches to show. For what it's worth, I bought Battleblock Theater on 4/3/2013, and I have 2 punches of 5 hours each on the first card, 3 punches for the second card, and 1 punch for 800 points on the last card. Not really sure how I got 3 punches on the second one.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, same here. I've only bought Battleblock Theater and I have 3 stamps for the 2nd one. It says you have to purchase 4 games at least 400 MSP, so I'm guessing mine glitched and since I spent 1200 on Battleblock, it mistakenly accounted for 3 games instead of one.

I guess you're really lucky.. if I was sure to get 3 punches with one 1200MSP purchase, I'd get Battleblock Theatre and a random 400MSP game..

I apologize for the longer post and rehashing some old conversation. Unfortunately April's Xbox Live Rewards details aren't on the front page but buried in the comments across dozens of posts on many pages making it hard to figure out. I read Major Nelson's info here: http://majornelson.com/2013/03/28/play-to-earn-from-xbox-live-rewards/

What I understood from his text was for the entire month of April:
- You don't have to sign up for anything special (just be a member of XBL Rewards).
- If you play >= 20 hours of any arcade games, you get an avatar. So, any game you play on your console while logged into your XBL Rewards account (such as Dead Space 3 off disc) counts towards the 20 hours?
- The 3 punchard categories are separate, so you can get 800 points back for 3200 points in purchases without playing for >= 20 hours? I guess if you meet the 3200 points in purchases, by definition you meet the 4 x 400 game purchases unless you bought games > 800 points.
- I assume the free month of Gold gets added onto any free months you already have?

It sounds like the answer regarding the debate of what counts as an arcade game was pretty much anything you buy that contains a game and not DLC. Right?

I was planning on waiting for 400 points each to buy Dust and Deadlight, but if buying each at 600 points counts towards 4 arcade games @ 400 points and towards the 3200 points of arcade games, then it's close enough to 400 each. Even if there are no more good sales during April, I have a few old silly games I want and never picked up such as Aqua or Polar Panic for 400 points (I know Aqua was free but I never could win Scratch & Match). I'd just need 1200 more in purchases to get my 800 points back.

Did I get all of this right?

[quote name='Ubichu']I apologize for the longer post and rehashing some old conversation. Unfortunately April's Xbox Live Rewards details aren't on the front page but buried in the comments across dozens of posts on many pages making it hard to figure out. I read Major Nelson's info here: http://majornelson.com/2013/03/28/play-to-earn-from-xbox-live-rewards/

What I understood from his text was for the entire month of April:
- You don't have to sign up for anything special (just be a member of XBL Rewards).
- If you play >= 20 hours of any arcade games, you get an avatar. So, any game you play on your console while logged into your XBL Rewards account (such as Dead Space 3 off disc) counts towards the 20 hours?
- The 3 punchard categories are separate, so you can get 800 points back for 3200 points in purchases without playing for >= 20 hours? I guess if you meet the 3200 points in purchases, by definition you meet the 4 x 400 game purchases unless you bought games > 800 points.
- I assume the free month of Gold gets added onto any free months you already have?

It sounds like the answer regarding the debate of what counts as an arcade game was pretty much anything you buy that contains a game and not DLC. Right?

I was planning on waiting for 400 points each to buy Dust and Deadlight, but if buying each at 600 points counts towards 4 arcade games @ 400 points and towards the 3200 points of arcade games, then it's close enough to 400 each. Even if there are no more good sales during April, I have a few old silly games I want and never picked up such as Aqua or Polar Panic for 400 points (I know Aqua was free but I never could win Scratch & Match). I'd just need 1200 more in purchases to get my 800 points back.

Did I get all of this right?[/QUOTE]

Ok

1. Dead Space 3 off disc will not count towards the 20 hours since it is a Games On Demand title and not an XBLA title. The 20 hours of playtime only works on game stat can be bought from the Arcade section of the XBLM.

2. The punchcards are separate! You can play for the 20 hours and not spend any MSP and still get the Avatar item.

3. Yes it does! So if you have 5 months of Gold left, this will be added to that so you will have 6 months left.

The second punchcard is if you buy any four different games that cost 400 MSP or more at the time of purchase. The amount of points you spend on these will go towards the 3200 MSP total on the third punchcard. The third card is divided into lunches of 800 MSP just so it has an even amount on each punch, you do not need to buy one game that equals 800 MSP to get a punch, you can buy one that costs 600 and one that costs 200 and it will still count.

Yes, any full arcade game counts towards the second and third punch cards.

I would recommend buying them now, because it is very unlikely that they will be on sale again for less than they are now within the next two weeks.

[quote name='Ubichu']It sounds like the answer regarding the debate of what counts as an arcade game was pretty much anything you buy that contains a game and not DLC. Right?[/QUOTE]
Arcade games are XBLA games. The only thing people were confused about is whether games like Pinball FX2, which are free games that require the purchase of DLC for content, count towards for the purchasing goals and I think the answer was that it doesn't. Playing those games should be fine, but not purchasing them.

Retail games, Games on Demand, and Indie Games don't count in the promotion, so don't spend your time or money on any of that thinking it'll count.

So, just finished Alan Wake...and now I want the DLC. From the database, the last time both DLCs went on sale was in July of 2011. There's probably no hope of another sale of those, right? I should just buy them at 560 MSP?

I finished The Maw today, would like the DLC to complete all the achievements. 100MP seems a little steep, so any chance of a sale? Or is the game to old by now?

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']I finished The Maw today, would like the DLC to complete all the achievements. 100MP seems a little steep, so any chance of a sale? Or is the game to old by now?[/QUOTE]
http://xbldb.com/games/000-37f

Says they've never been on sale, so the chances are slim. You might as well buy them if you liked the game.

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']I finished The Maw today, would like the DLC to complete all the achievements. 100MP seems a little steep, so any chance of a sale? Or is the game to old by now?[/QUOTE]

How is $1.25 or 100 MSP steep? That is $3.75 for all three. (if I remember correctly I think there is 3, I bought them like 5 years ago) Also you can factor in the fact that you most likely got it free so that is cheap IMO.

[quote name='Stellar Inertia']How is $1.25 or 100 MSP steep? That is $3.75 for all three. (if I remember correctly I think there is 3, I bought them like 5 years ago) Also you can factor in the fact that you most likely got it free so that is cheap IMO.[/QUOTE]

because of how short the levels are [15-30m], and because im a CAG:rofl:

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']because of how short the levels are [15-30m], and because im a CAG:rofl:[/QUOTE]

That and when you get the game for free anything above $0 is steep.

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']because of how short the levels are [15-30m], and because im a CAG:rofl:[/QUOTE]

Well Im a completionist and I enjoyed the game when I played it so I had no problems buying the DLC and was excited when I saw it even had any. The choice is yours though. Is $3.75 for an hour of extended Maw play worth it to you? :roll:

EDIT: And to think I payed what 1100 MSP for it all years ago. Haha.

In this scenario you might as well take the G out and just be a CA :lol:.

[quote name='gotdott']In this scenario you might as well take the G out and just be a CA :lol:.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Stellar Inertia']Well Im a completionist and I enjoyed the game when I played it so I had no problems buying the DLC and was excited when I saw it even had any. The choice is yours though. Is $3.75 for an hour of extended Maw play worth it to you? :roll:

EDIT: And to think I payed what 1100 MSP for it all years ago. Haha.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Kaltic']That and when you get the game for free anything above $0 is steep.[/QUOTE]

ok guy's, enough with the ridicule:lol: I was just asking a question, I'll probably pick it up when/if I don't already have stuff to play. I rarely ever buy DLC, so even if it's cheap it's not an instant purchase

[quote name='Zolor23']So, just finished Alan Wake...and now I want the DLC. From the database, the last time both DLCs went on sale was in July of 2011. There's probably no hope of another sale of those, right? I should just buy them at 560 MSP?[/QUOTE]

I had the same thought process 3 weeks ago. I didn't own Alan Wake or even consider playing that game when the DLC was on sale for really cheap. I did just say the heck with it and spent the 560 MSP. It was more of the same but I enjoyed that game so much that I was tired of waiting for a sale.

the first DLC pack (The Signal) can be bought/traded for cheaper than 560 MSP from other CAGs here

Can anyone offer me a suggestion. I currently have 600msp and I don't plan on buying more anytime soon. Guardian Heroes has been a minor want of mine for a while, but there's a few games (Bastion, Backbreaker, Dishwasher Vs, Outland, Fez, and any of the SNK fighters) that I'd rather have. Should I hold out for a sale on one of the other games or just buy GH now (keeping in mind I'm a silver user)?

I wound up getting Guardian Heroes (I actually HAD this for Saturn eons ago!) and Dust: An Elysian Tail. Guardian Heroes hasn't aged well in spite of the added bells and whistles, and it's STILL got that annoying plot exposition in the middle of the game. However, Dust is a nice alternative to Vanillaware's side-scrolling platformers, with more depth and a combo system that both rewards success and punishes failure. I like that. It's a smart use of risk and reward, and you don't see that often enough in video games.

So my question is this... should I get Hydrophobia as well? At 200MSP, the price is right, and I've heard the game improved a lot after the patch. At the same time, I'm not really big on survival horror, and I'm not sure if it's my bag. Maybe I should just save my points to unlock the real Iori in King of Fighters XIII, or cross my fingers and hope Microsoft does something generous like drop the price of the extra characters in Street Fighter X Tekken.

Is Microsoft offering more price cuts this month? Should I just cross my fingers and hope for something better suited to my tastes?

Jhuntley: Honestly, there are better side-scrolling beat 'em ups on the Xbox 360 than Guardian Heroes. I used to enjoy the game on my Saturn, but it hasn't aged well, and many of the flaws it had on that system are still just as aggravating in 2013. If you only have a Silver account and can't play it online, I'd recommend you give it a pass. Having said that, five dollars is a better price than the twenty it cost me back in 1998, and the hundred plus it costs on the Saturn now.

[quote name='Jhuntley']Can anyone offer me a suggestion. I currently have 600msp and I don't plan on buying more anytime soon. Guardian Heroes has been a minor want of mine for a while, but there's a few games (Bastion, Backbreaker, Dishwasher Vs, Outland, Fez, and any of the SNK fighters) that I'd rather have. Should I hold out for a sale on one of the other games or just buy GH now (keeping in mind I'm a silver user)?[/QUOTE]

as a silver member you won't get the DotW sales, and as such will probably be waiting a while:cry:you could joing Bing and get MP pretty easy, if you can't/don't want to buy any;)

What annoys me is that I've got an awkward number of Microsoft points. I don't know how I came up with that amount, but I've always got 30 points too few for what I want to buy. I really wish there were a way to buy just the amount you need, like what Sony does with PSN...

[quote name='ArugulaZ']

So my question is this... should I get Hydrophobia as well? At 200MSP, the price is right, and I've heard the game improved a lot after the patch. At the same time, I'm not really big on survival horror, and I'm not sure if it's my bag. [/QUOTE]

Hydrophobia is definitely not survival horror. I'd classify it as more action adventure than survival horror. It sort of plays a bit like across between Prince of Persia as there are plenty of climbing sequences, a bit of Tomb Raider with some swimming, and your standard 3rd person shooter. The graphics are dated other than the water effects. So it looks more like a late PS2 or XBOX than a proper 360 game. But for 200 msp you're actually getting a pretty good experience IMHO. It's not deep. But it's got an interesting world. And enough there to make it a steal at $2 in my opinion. I didn't think it was a great game. But I've easily paid $20 for crappier experiences. If you have spare points and if a sort of action adventure game that lasts 4 hours or so is your type of game then I would grab it. Just don't expect a Bioshock experience. It's not garbage but it's not great either.

[quote name='ArugulaZ']
Is Microsoft offering more price cuts this month? Should I just cross my fingers and hope for something better suited to my tastes?[/QUOTE]

Well there will be more sales for Gold Members but the likelihood of more price cuts are a who knows situation. I'm guessing that there won't be any price drops other than some Gold Member sales. But hopefully MS will prove me wrong as there have been some pretty cool sales in the last couple of months.

And yeah. I bought Guardian Heroes after everyone praised it. I'm not sure if it's really for me. I'm not big on fighting games and it sort of has that type of mechanic. I think I was hoping for a more hack and slash experience and just got owned. Also, christ, the jump mechanic and the control layout just seems wrong to me. I guess I'm so used to modern controller design in games that the whole experience went against every intuition my body had when it came to thinking what button did what. Took me ages to sort out how to move between planes as well. I haven't checked if there are different control schemes. But I'm hoping there are, otherwise I've got to retrain myself and will probably just add it to the backlog if that's the case.

[quote name='ArugulaZ']So my question is this... should I get Hydrophobia as well? At 200MSP, the price is right, and I've heard the game improved a lot after the patch. At the same time, I'm not really big on survival horror, and I'm not sure if it's my bag. Maybe I should just save my points to unlock the real Iori in King of Fighters XIII, or cross my fingers and hope Microsoft does something generous like drop the price of the extra characters in Street Fighter X Tekken.[/QUOTE]

I say Hydrophobia is worth twice that - at least that's how much I paid for it and enjoyed it quite a bit. I haven't played the game pre-patch so I couldn't say how much the game actually improved, but keep in mind that all the reviews for the game were obviously before then. That they would go through the trouble of giving the game a massive overhaul even when the game was widely panned should tell you how much effort they put into making it work. When people hesitate to buy the game at its current price, aren't they saying that all that work was for nothing?

[quote name='ArugulaZ']What annoys me is that I've got an awkward number of Microsoft points. I don't know how I came up with that amount, but I've always got 30 points too few for what I want to buy. I really wish there were a way to buy just the amount you need, like what Sony does with PSN...[/QUOTE]

If you are diligent you can earn approx 400 msp every month thru Bing, and even more with promotions.

Join Xbox Live Rewards and answer that short survey every month will net you 20 msp.

In addition, Live Rewards just added Punchcards which give you opportunities to earn just by playing/buying.

When you can get free points to buy games online, who cares if it's an odd number? :bouncy:

[quote name='ArugulaZ']So my question is this... should I get Hydrophobia as well? At 200MSP, the price is right, and I've heard the game improved a lot after the patch. At the same time, I'm not really big on survival horror, and I'm not sure if it's my bag.[/QUOTE]

Man, I really wanted to like Hydrophobia. It wasn't a bad game, but the 360 version doesn't have a proper ending. I think the game was originally planned for more episodes, but the criticism of the initial version shut that idea down and that was that. The PSN version has a proper ending, but it's not worth it for me to spend the money or play the game over.

Hydrophobia is worth the $2.50, but if you've got better games to play (like most of us), it's probably not worth your time. I rushed through it, getting all achievements in an afternoon as part of a challenge. Also it's got the most laughably abrupt "ending" you'll ever find.

I bought Keflings, and I may bite on Guardian Hero's despite not being very impressed with the trial. I guess Microsoft's marketing is working, as I'm actually going to wait til AFTER it goes off sale to buy Quarrel, just to get another punch.

At least this promo got me to start up Bastion, which I bought at release nearly 2 years ago and hadn't touched.

[quote name='Zolor23']So, just finished Alan Wake...and now I want the DLC. From the database, the last time both DLCs went on sale was in July of 2011. There's probably no hope of another sale of those, right? I should just buy them at 560 MSP?[/QUOTE]

Buy it! I got the first one free since it came with the code in the box (I got it a couple months after it came out) and I bought the other one the day it came out. I'd say just buy them bought (especially if you enjoyed the game) since it adds some more to the story. Plus the second DLC is just amazing! If you do buy it, you'll enjoy them both and it'll be 1120 MSP well spent.

[quote name='ArugulaZ']
So my question is this... should I get Hydrophobia as well? At 200MSP, the price is right, and I've heard the game improved a lot after the patch. At the same time, I'm not really big on survival horror, and I'm not sure if it's my bag.
[/QUOTE]
Hydrophobia is an easily skipped game. It's not terrible and I can't think of another game where the majority of the gameplay is based around water, but plotwise I can't remember jack about it and I just beat it a couple of weeks ago. Also you have to take into account you will never see an ending to this game since the studio closed down and it ends on a cliffhanger since it was meant to be episodic (which is also why its only around 4hrs to beat). On the plus side, the graphics hold up great. I personally wouldn't buy it again and save my points for something better.

WolfmanASTN and FriskyTanuki, thanks for the help on my questions.
[quote name='WolfmanASTN']The second punchcard is if you buy any four different games that cost 400 MSP or more at the time of purchase. The amount of points you spend on these will go towards the 3200 MSP total on the third punchcard. The third card is divided into lunches of 800 MSP just so it has an even amount on each punch, you do not need to buy one game that equals 800 MSP to get a punch, you can buy one that costs 600 and one that costs 200 and it will still count.[/QUOTE]
I have a question on the 3rd punchcard for spending 3200 points (the one I care most about) when you say it has to be an even amount. Do you have to have 800 points in a transaction (such as 600 + 200) or can you buy 600 + 600 points 1 day, then the next day buy a 400 point game and have that count as 2 punches of 800 points each?

In other words, does the 3rd punchcard remember where your current total is and show the punches every time you cross over the next multiple of 800 or does every transaction during your log-in have to be a multiple of 800?

[quote name='ArugulaZ']

Jhuntley: Honestly, there are better side-scrolling beat 'em ups on the Xbox 360 than Guardian Heroes. I used to enjoy the game on my Saturn, but it hasn't aged well, and many of the flaws it had on that system are still just as aggravating in 2013. If you only have a Silver account and can't play it online, I'd recommend you give it a pass. Having said that, five dollars is a better price than the twenty it cost me back in 1998, and the hundred plus it costs on the Saturn now.

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']as a silver member you won't get the DotW sales, and as such will probably be waiting a while:cry:you could joing Bing and get MP pretty easy, if you can't/don't want to buy any;)[/QUOTE]
I think I'll wait on Guardian Heroes then. Thanks

It's any combination of points spent to get to 3200, as I don't think there's a minimum mentioned for the 3200 point goal. I'd spend over 400 anyway just to be safe. You can only buy one thing per purchase on Xbox Live, so there's no way you buy two items to make it 800 anyway.

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']ok guy's, enough with the ridicule:lol: I was just asking a question, I'll probably pick it up when/if I don't already have stuff to play. I rarely ever buy DLC, so even if it's cheap it's not an instant purchase[/QUOTE]

i was just kidding of course haha. everyone has similar mindsets towards DLC but sometimes the gamer in some of us overrides our decision making, especially if it's a game we really enjoy. perfect example is the bunch over in the mass effect thread, we've been so commited to the series and universe most of us have bought the DLC instead of waiting for sales just because there's never too much mass effect :)

[quote name='gotdott']i was just kidding of course haha. everyone has similar mindsets towards DLC but sometimes the gamer in some of us overrides our decision making, especially if it's a game we really enjoy. perfect example is the bunch over in the mass effect thread, we've been so commited to the series and universe most of us have bought the DLC instead of waiting for sales just because there's never too much mass effect :)[/QUOTE]

Also, it's not a bad thing to support a developer that you like by actually paying a little money for the DLC they offer. That's the best way to show them appreciation, not just thinking happy thoughts. :)

[quote name='Twista48']man there must be some crappy deals this week since nothings been announced yet[/QUOTE]
I don't know if you're new around here or not, but they announce deals in two-week chunks and this past week was the second week of the last announcement. They'll announce the deals for the next two weeks in the next day or two.

[quote name='eastx']Also, it's not a bad thing to support a developer that you like by actually paying a little money for the DLC they offer. That's the best way to show them appreciation, not just thinking happy thoughts. :)[/QUOTE]

yeah, I suppose your right. It's Just tough with so much good stuff to play, I have so many full games to beat that buying DLC isn't very high on my list. I did enjoy the maw though, so I'll probably pick it up when I have some leftover points;)

I generally reserve DLC purchases for games I really enjoy and want to keep playing. The only DLC I can recall purchasing off-hand was for two Bethesda games, Oblivion and Fallout 3, Assassin's Creed 2, and Mass Effect 2. I have no doubt that if I purchased Mass Effect 3, I'd probably buy most (all?) of its DLC as well.

I'd consider buying the extra content for my fighting games as well, but for some reason it feels artificially walled off from the player, rather than an optional bonus that keeps the game fresh months after its release. Hell, the extra characters in Street Fighter X Tekken are on the disc, and appear on the character select screen (albeit grayed out until they're purchased).

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I don't know if you're new around here or not, but they announce deals in two-week chunks and this past week was the second week of the last announcement. They'll announce the deals for the next two weeks in the next day or two.[/QUOTE]

not really new here but only recently active since I now have money to actually buy the items on sale lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back