XBL Deals|7/4 Only- Witcher2, OrangeBox, More | 7/5 Only-Hitman:Absolution $10, More | ME3: Omega | BL2 DLC (Gold) | FREE Defense Grid (Gold) | MORE

Status
Not open for further replies.

tylerh1701

CAGiversary!
Feedback
190 (100%)
Here is a list of all the current and upcoming Xbox Live Marketplace Sales for the USA. This includes the Deal of the Week, KINECT Central sale item(s), and any other 3rd-party sales or promotions. We have also included the upcoming Xbox Live Arcade releases in the 2nd post. Most sales are for one week. Feel free to post if you see anything not listed here.

Please note:

• All known sales and information on sales are in the OP. Major Nelson usually updates us with new sales information every other Tuesday. When offers are validated by Moderators, it will be added to the OP as time permits.
  • ALL OFFERS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE! No information within this thread can or should be construed as accurate (or still valid), therefore ...
  • Always verify Xbox Live Marketplace prices before your purchase!
  • Some sales are intended for GOLD MEMBERS ONLY, as noted within each section.
  • Spend wisely, have fun, and enjoy!

7/2 - 7/8 ... Borderlands DLC

7/9 - 7/15 ... Dishonored and Metal Gear Rising DLC and More

• Dishonored Games on Demand - Price Unknown
    DLC - The Knife of Dunwall - 400 MSP (50% off)
  • DLC - Dunwall City Trials - 200 MSP (50% off)
  • DLC - Void Walkers Arsenal - 160 MSP (50% off)

[*]Metal Gear Rising Revengeance DLC
  • Jetstream - 400 MSP (50% off)
  • Raiden Custom Body - 80 MSP (50% off)
  • Bladewolf  - 320 MSP (43% off)

[*]XBLA - Battle: Los Angeles - 400 MSP (50% off)

• Confirmed as future free games: Halo 3

Sales & Specials: Open to Everyone!
NOTE ... if the start & end dates are not well-defined, ACT FAST! since these
"sales" could end anytime. However, they may also be permanent markdowns.

Ultimate Game One Day Sales:

7/2 ... Day One:

7/3 ... Day Two:

7/4 ... Day Three:

7/5 ... Day Four: (will last through 7/7)

7/2 - 7/8 ... Ultimate Games Persistent Sales:

* =  Want to Buy Games On Demand Using Microsoft Points? [customspoiler="GonD with MSP"]
Often overlooked, GoD are by default displayed in dollars both on Xbox.com as well as on the console, but on the very-first confirmation screen of the download process is the option to use Microsoft Points in place of real-world currency.

Through the console, after first selecting to download a GoD you are greeted by a familiar gray confirmation screen that pops up displaying the size of the download as well as confirming the price. At the bottom of this gray pop-up is the instruction to press the "X button" in order to change the payment type to MSP. Pictured below with an arrow:
confirmation.jpg

On Xbox.com they've made it much more obvious, the confirmation "extra step" pop-up after clicking the download link displays a link that simply says "Use Microsoft Points" directly under the price in dollars at the top of the page.

The more you know....[/customspoiler]

Kinect Central sales

7/2 - ??? ... Unannounced Rocksmith DLC Markdowns

7/2 - ??? ... Other Unannounced Markdowns

7/2 - 7/8 ... Robocop and Fast and Furious Avatar Sale

• Please check the avatar store on your Xbox 360 for more information

7/9 - 7/15 ... Just Dance 4

• Price and content unknown

Monthly Marketplace Markdowns
Announced ... as confirmed on the Xbox 360's own dashboard, or corroborated from other sources (PSN, dev/pub, etc).

Unannounced ... from Xbox.com scrapes. *These may or may not be permanent, so judge accordingly.

Unannounced Price Drops for July:

* =  Want to Buy Games On Demand Using Microsoft Points? [customspoiler="GonD with MSP"]
Often overlooked, GoD are by default displayed in dollars both on Xbox.com as well as on the console, but on the very-first confirmation screen of the download process is the option to use Microsoft Points in place of real-world currency.

Through the console, after first selecting to download a GoD you are greeted by a familiar gray confirmation screen that pops up displaying the size of the download as well as confirming the price. At the bottom of this gray pop-up is the instruction to press the "X button" in order to change the payment type to MSP. Pictured below with an arrow:
confirmation.jpg

On Xbox.com they've made it much more obvious, the confirmation "extra step" pop-up after clicking the download link displays a link that simply says "Use Microsoft Points" directly under the price in dollars at the top of the page.

The more you know....[/customspoiler]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='gundamb0i']Do dlc count towards the Xbox rewards or does it have to be an arcade game?[/QUOTE]

They responded on their forums, that DLC sadly doesn't count, would have bought a lot of DLC *sigh* =/

[quote name='dark_inchworm']

PvZ and Peggle are also on disc, though this is probably obvious to most of you considering you can still find the PvZ disc all over the place. [/QUOTE]

So a quick search on Amazon and Gamestop give prices of $16 and $20 for the PvZ disc with Peggle & Nights. Unless I am missing something getting all 3 on sale this week is actually a better deal. Or unless you just really have to have physical copies. Anything else come on the disc?

Catan, Carcassonne, Plants vs. zombies, and Peggle (plus Peggle Nights) are all excellent games and well worth those prices.

I realize all of them have been on sale before but those are four games that I've completed that I will still actually consider playing again despite having 100% achievements in all of them. For me personally, that says a lot as I have to REALLY enjoy a game to replay it if I've seen all of the story lines, completed all achievements, etc.

The lack of local multiplayer in Catan does kind of stink but it really wouldn't work anyway as everyone in the room (including local opponents) would be able to view each others' cards. Trading and playing cards is an enormous part of the gameplay that simply would not work with local co-op.

[quote name='gundamb0i']Do dlc count towards the Xbox rewards or does it have to be an arcade game?[/QUOTE]

If only someone would ask this question 14 or 15 more times.

Because reading the thread is hard. :p

[quote name='chuckie88']The lack of local multiplayer in Catan and Carcassonne does kind of stink but it really wouldn't work in Catan anyway as everyone in the room (including local opponents) would be able to view each others' cards. Trading and playing cards is an enormous part of the gameplay that simply would not work with local co-op.[/QUOTE]

Carcassonne does have local multiplayer. Only Catan lacks it.

[quote name='Antarael Dulacre']If I buy Quantum Conundrum and From Dust I need another 80 MSP on Arcade Games to get to 3200 points LOL stupid 60% off sales! xp ( I mean better price of course but come one I have to buy another one lol)[/QUOTE]

It might be going all according to their plan then... ;)

Not really sure how close I am on the 3200 MSP punch card... Probably not very close. I'm sure I checked but since I got nothing in the first half of the month maybe I just got distracted and didn't look. (I think I'm leaning towards bad sales...)

Anyhow, I got Bionic Commando 2. I know the review avg isn't all that great and I spent an hour on the demo (some with the normal controller before swapping to a fight stick, and then coming back to the controller) but I think I finally conquered the controls enough to enjoy it. (I still need to finish the original BC remake, sadly as one of my favorite NES games have no excuse for having got it but having forgot about it.)

I also got From Dust. I know its been around for awhile so I would be a bit shocked if this was the first sale but I'm not sure how I could have missed it if it had been on sale previously... It was/is pretty damn amazing and I felt pretty darn bad when I failed the “Breath of the Sea” level (at least I think that's what the name was) the first time by a handful of seconds and could only watch as the inevitable happened.

Though I know its on disc and likely a bit cheaper that way I got Plants vs Zombies too after trying its demo... I've finally came to the conclusion that those compilation disc just sit around as I'm too lazy to want to exchange discs just to play arcade games. Anyhow, its pretty sweet too. :)

Now... I did try I Am Alive, and it still seems to be at last weeks sale price, but I just couldn't get past the combat... I know its suppose to be rough, which is cool, but it just seemed really chunky and cheap in design. Can anyone tell me if the story is good enough to overcome its faults or should I just skip it?

I hate that they keep discounting games for 320... I love to get better discounts, but I'm 100% sure that next month they'll go back to 50% discounts instead of 60%.

Rock of Ages and Scott Pilgrim would've been a 100% buy for me if they were 400MSP, since I'm trying to complete the second punchcard, but I think I can wait for another deal for 320 MSP...

[quote name='Zonic505']Coming to Xbox Live Marketplace blog is up[/QUOTE]
Thanks. Wow, nothing for me this week or the next. Guess I'll have to pay full price for a game (I already know which one :D) to get this month reward.

Hmmm, maybe should bite on Pac Man CE DX? I think many people said it was a good game, last time it was on sale through the sale & specials app.

[quote name='E.Nich']Hmmm, maybe should bite on Pac Man CE DX? I think many people said it was a good game, last time it was on sale through the sale & specials app.[/QUOTE]Yes, it's a great twist on a classic that's improved and more varied over the original CE.

Otherwise, I've already got everything that I've want this week (the beat-'em-ups, Castlevania, & Pac-Man). I think I've reached the point where all the old games I've wanted have been on sale. Guess I'm getting Triggerheart Exelica and Omega Five to finish up the Xbox Rewards offer since they've pretty much never gone on sale.

[quote name='eastx']Carcassonne does have local multiplayer. Only Catan lacks it.[/QUOTE]
You're right, I'm not sure what I was thinking there. I edited my post, thanks for the catch.
[quote name='E.Nich']...Hmmm, maybe should bite on Pac Man CE DX?...[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Zonic505']Yes, it's a great twist on a classic that's improved and more varied over the original CE...[/QUOTE]
I agree, Pac-Man CE DX is a great game in my opinion. Although I liked CE, I also agree that CE DX is better.

[quote name='benjamouth']Finally.......Dark Sector on GoD !!!

Thought it was never going to happen.[/QUOTE]

LOL I was about to comment on Dark Sector but you beat me to the punch...

Super Puzzle Fighter is on Xbox? I remember playing a demo of that on the PS1. Definitely picking up that and Simpsons arcade.

When is Plants vs. Zombies 2 coming out?

[quote name='INMATEofARKHAM']It might be going all according to their plan then... ;)[/QUOTE]

Pretty damn sure that was their plan =P lol

Hum nothing for me next week and no special sales....so I guess I will look for a permanent reduced XBLA for 400 MSP or less...any recommendations?

[quote name='kdiddy1989']LOL I was about to comment on Dark Sector but you beat me to the punch...[/QUOTE]

Be interested to see how much it is, should be $9.99 max, but as this is GoD I'll guess $49.99.

[quote name='benjamouth']Be interested to see how much it is, should be $9.99 max, but as this is GoD I'll guess $49.99.[/QUOTE]

I'm seeing 14.99...I'm stunned that this is being released on GoD now and even more at that price :lol: It's a 1.99 (1.79 PUR) game at Gamestop. I'd like to know the numbers on how many GoD copies sell...

Next week might be better. Looking at NBA Jam, Simpsons, NFL Blitz and Angry Birds. If anyone is wondering, Pac Man CE DX is fantastic. And it is a easy 100%.

To everyone always asking why I complain about the poor XBox Deals every week... this is why. Because THIS two weeks is actually quite good, and is what they need to do more often. Peggle, Catan, Carcassone... Tony freaking Hawk, NBA Jam (which I already own but is still a great deal), NFL Blitz, Simpsons Arcade Game, Castlevania...

Freaking A, this is why I basically haven't spent MSP since Christmas. Tony Hawk in particular is THE specific game I've been waiting for a sale on because I missed the 1 day sale over the holidays (having family and a life and all). Only downside is I have a little over 300 MSP still pending from rewards and has been pending for like a month and I wish it'd get deposited already so I could use it too.

With the two weeks mapped out and me having most all of the titles I ended up picking up BattleBlock and Terraria for full price to finish out the punch cards. I really like Behemoth as a developer and Terraria looks like a Minecraft that I'll actually want to play. Thanks for the heads up about the rewards and the upcoming sales.

Yes! Have been waiting on a sale for Pac Man CE DX. Was actually about to get it, so glad I waited. That only leaves me needing to spend 200 points....efffffffff.

Guess I'll be trying a lot of demos. Anything particular I should check out that isn't obvious? I'm not really a fan of all the beat em ups, and still have Castle Crashers to get through, though I remember having a lot of fun with the simpsons game on an arcade cabinet in a quiznos. Scott Pilgrim is also one that I like the source material for, but the gameplay didn't grab me the last two or three times I tried the demo.

I know Symphony of the Night is considered one of the greatest games ever, but am I missing something? I tried the demo, and everything just felt super clunky and unfocused, and I really just wasn't enjoying it. I was expecting something like Super Metroid, which grabbed me right away. Maybe I just needed to play longer?

And if anyone is wondering, stay away from D&D Daggerdale. It's really really mediocre, and honestly, even though I got it free I wish I hadn't. Just, don't buy it.

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']

I know Symphony of the Night is considered one of the greatest games ever, but am I missing something? I tried the demo, and everything just felt super clunky and unfocused, and I really just wasn't enjoying it. I was expecting something like Super Metroid, which grabbed me right away. Maybe I just needed to play longer?

[/QUOTE]

Just remember how old this game is. Its was an incredible game for it's time, almost in the same sense that the original pacman is one of the greatest games ever. Subsequent sequels built on that foundation, refined the formula, and did everything better. Don't go into it thinking that it will be as polished as it's GBA or DS sequels.

[quote name='Antarael Dulacre']Pretty damn sure that was their plan =P lol

Hum nothing for me next week and no special sales....so I guess I will look for a permanent reduced XBLA for 400 MSP or less...any recommendations?[/QUOTE]

Same here. I really don't want to settle for the Simpsons or X-men just out of nostalgia. I have everything else.
I've had Polar Panic and Small Arms on standby, so you may find one of those two purchase-worthy.

[quote name='E.Nich']Hmmm, maybe should bite on Pac Man CE DX? I think many people said it was a good game, last time it was on sale through the sale & specials app.[/QUOTE]

It's funny, I think most of us thought that PacMan CE DX would be the one least likely to go on sale in the near future when someone posted a list of games they were interested in.

I'll go ahead and be the voice of dissent on PacMan CE DX. I think I only spent like 2 hours on it, working with achievements. The game never really "grabbed" me and I was never worried about perfecting my play on each level to work my way up the leaderboards. If you're not into replaying a game over and over to beat high scores, which I'm not, I think you may find the game quite overrated. I know I did.

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']I know Symphony of the Night is considered one of the greatest games ever, but am I missing something? I tried the demo, and everything just felt super clunky and unfocused, and I really just wasn't enjoying it. I was expecting something like Super Metroid, which grabbed me right away. Maybe I just needed to play longer?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you're missing everything. Like Ooga said, the game is old, so it's going to be a little clunky (even though I actually don't think it is). Other than that it's an amazing adventure with tons of items, unlockables, leveling, and bosses. I played it for the first time on XBLA about 2 years ago and enjoyed the hell out of it, the gameplay holds up extremely well. It's easily one of the best games on XBLA.

[quote name='tylerh1701']I'll go ahead and be the voice of dissent on PacMan CE DX. I think I only spent like 2 hours on it, working with achievements. The game never really "grabbed" me and I was never worried about perfecting my play on each level to work my way up the leaderboards. If you're not into replaying a game over and over to beat high scores, which I'm not, I think you may find the game quite overrated. I know I did.[/QUOTE]
Wow, I've never heard anyone say they didn't like PacMan CE DX. I had so much fun with this game that I bought it on both 360 and PS3.

Do you think punchcards will update soon enough for games bought on 30th april? I'm interested in Pac-Man but I'm not sure if it will be too late for me...

So I'm definitely going for the promo but have been waiting to see sales. So far I bought dungeon defenders for 480pts. Which of the following two combos should I do?

Combo 1: night at the inventory 2, runner 2, kingdom for Keflings

Combo 2: night at the inventory 2, kingdom for Keflings, quantum conundrum, ticket to ride (I like board games on xbla already own catan and carcassone)

[quote name='tylerh1701']It's funny, I think most of us thought that PacMan CE DX would be the one least likely to go on sale in the near future when someone posted a list of games they were interested in.[/quote]

was probably me who posted the list you're thinking of. So glad I held off waiting. I'm not typically a high score freak, but I just had so much fun playing the demo, and have really been wanting to pick it up.

Hopefully I will have the same experience as with Geometry Wars 2 and get into the leaderboards feature with it as well:)

[quote name='tylerh1701']
Yeah, you're missing everything. Like Ooga said, the game is old, so it's going to be a little clunky (even though I actually don't think it is). Other than that it's an amazing adventure with tons of items, unlockables, leveling, and bosses. I played it for the first time on XBLA about 2 years ago and enjoyed the hell out of it, the gameplay holds up extremely well. It's easily one of the best games on XBLA.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='ooga']Just remember how old this game is. Its was an incredible game for it's time, almost in the same sense that the original pacman is one of the greatest games ever. Subsequent sequels built on that foundation, refined the formula, and did everything better. Don't go into it thinking that it will be as polished as it's GBA or DS sequels.[/QUOTE]

I haven't played any of the GBA or DS games, or any Castlevanie game other than the very first on NES for that matter, so I don't have anything to compare it to. I'm going to try the demo again and play all the way through.

If it still doesn't grab me, I'll just assume it's not for me. It wouldn't be the first time a highly acclaimed game didn't click with me:whistle2:?

[quote name='mikeja72']So I'm definitely going for the promo but have been waiting to see sales. So far I bought dungeon defenders for 480pts. Which of the following two combos should I do?

Combo 1: night at the inventory 2, runner 2, kingdom for Keflings

Combo 2: night at the inventory 2, kingdom for Keflings, quantum conundrum, ticket to ride (I like board games on xbla already own catan and carcassone)[/QUOTE]

well uou missed the keflings sale, so I'd skip that. Why so many full price games? There are a lot of good titles going on sale.

[quote name='kdiddy1989']I'm seeing 14.99...I'm stunned that this is being released on GoD now and even more at that price :lol: It's a 1.99 (1.79 PUR) game at Gamestop. I'd like to know the numbers on how many GoD copies sell...[/QUOTE]

I actually really liked this one & had a good time with it. Hopefully more people who don't have any cheap GS copies near them will get a chance to play it. Thought that for the time it game out, the graphics really shined. :applause:

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']I haven't played any of the GBA or DS games, or any Castlevanie game other than the very first on NES for that matter, so I don't have anything to compare it to. I'm going to try the demo again and play all the way through.

If it still doesn't grab me, I'll just assume it's not for me. It wouldn't be the first time a highly acclaimed game didn't click with me:whistle2:?[/QUOTE]

SOTN was my first Castlevania game, I had no idea who the characters or anything were. If I recall the, XBLA demo is the start of the game, where you play as Richter for a minute, then all of a sudden you switch to Alucard with no real explanation. Then I believe you play as a super powered up Alucard, and then all your power is drained.

It's really kind of confusing, especially to someone new to the game. I remember I passed on SOTN the first time it was on sale because I thought the demo was weird and didn't know what was going on. Once you start playing as Alucard and have your powers drained, that is where the game basically starts, so kind of just ignore the gameplay that comes before that.

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']well uou missed the keflings sale, so I'd skip that. Why so many full price games? There are a lot of good titles going on sale.[/QUOTE]

Kingdom for Keflings not world of Keflings.

Because of the games on sale in the next two weeks I either have them or don't want them :). (More in the have than dont want grouping). So I'm making my own sale

[quote name='ooga']Same here. I really don't want to settle for the Simpsons or X-men just out of nostalgia. I have everything else.
I've had Polar Panic and Small Arms on standby, so you may find one of those two purchase-worthy.[/QUOTE]

Already got X-Men but didn't want to buy the simpsons game...and I think I never will...I will try the demo for both of them...also heard The Adventures of Shuggy are fun, maybe try that one too...

[quote name='mikeja72']Kingdom for Keflings not world of Keflings.

Because of the games on sale in the next two weeks I either have them or don't want them :). (More in the have than dont want grouping). So I'm making my own sale[/QUOTE]

ehh, to each their own I guess. The word from this thread is that World of Keflings is far superior to Kingdom, so I still don't know if it's worth it. I guess out of those I would choose Runner 2 and Quantum Conundrum, as I have no experience with the others.

[quote name='Antarael Dulacre']Already got X-Men but didn't want to buy the simpsons game...and I think I never will...I will try the demo for both of them...also heard The Adventures of Shuggy are fun, maybe try that one too...[/QUOTE]

I just saw AoS for the first time today. Never heard of it, but for 400 points I downloaded the trial so I'd remember it exists. A very weird group of best selling arcade titles today, I'm seeing a lot of games I've never heard of really high up on the list.

[quote name='tylerh1701']SOTN was my first Castlevania game, I had no idea who the characters or anything were. If I recall the, XBLA demo is the start of the game, where you play as Richter for a minute, then all of a sudden you switch to Alucard with no real explanation. Then I believe you play as a super powered up Alucard, and then all your power is drained.

It's really kind of confusing, especially to someone new to the game. I remember I passed on SOTN the first time it was on sale because I thought the demo was weird and didn't know what was going on. Once you start playing as Alucard and have your powers drained, that is where the game basically starts, so kind of just ignore the gameplay that comes before that.[/QUOTE]

I'll keep that in mind. One thing that kinda turned me off as well was the graphics. I just don't like the way your character has a sort of ghosting effect when you move. Hurts my eyes and makes it hard for me to tell what's going on. I'll keep that in mind though, as it definitely was pretty hard to understand the first time I tried the demo. I feel devs should try a little harder with making their trials easy to understand, and not just dumping the player in. As far as I remember there wasn't any sort of tutorial to be found the whole time I played. Whether or not this was how the original game was, it really didn't make for a great first impression:whistle2:?

[quote name='tylerh1701']It's funny, I think most of us thought that PacMan CE DX would be the one least likely to go on sale in the near future when someone posted a list of games they were interested in.

I'll go ahead and be the voice of dissent on PacMan CE DX. I think I only spent like 2 hours on it, working with achievements. The game never really "grabbed" me and I was never worried about perfecting my play on each level to work my way up the leaderboards. If you're not into replaying a game over and over to beat high scores, which I'm not, I think you may find the game quite overrated. I know I did.[/QUOTE]
I'll take that into account, thanks. Anyways it seems a lot of people like it, so I'll buy it, after all it's half off (I'd want it to be 200msp, but I'll make an effort :roll:).

SOTN is an amazing game, I have and had beaten it in PSX (multiple times), PSP and Xbla. In fact I have beaten the game so much that I don't enjoy it like before. But it's still the best Castlevania imo (aside of the Rondo of Blood remake from PSP that also has SOTN and original Rondo as extras, which makes it the best Castlevania game ever).

@MrNinjaSquirrel: that's indeed how the original game was, but you are lucky, this version doesn't have any loading time between doors. There's no need for a tutorial, since once the game starts and you begin to get weapons, it's just like any other rpg game (more or less, just equip the items which stats you prefer; more attack, defense, luck, etc.
Crissaegrim FTW
).

[quote name='eastx']

Carcassonne does have local multiplayer. Only Catan lacks it.[/QUOTE]

And it is fantastic. Nothing like being able to feel a friends punches after you jack half his castle or road. The drum sound at the end of a round still brings smiles to my face! If anyone picks it up, add me on xbl. Would love to get a few games in.

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']ehh, to each their own I guess. The word from this thread is that World of Keflings is far superior to Kingdom, so I still don't know if it's worth it. I guess out of those I would choose Runner 2 and Quantum Conundrum, as I have no experience with the others.[/QUOTE]

Out of the next two weeks I only don't own:
Quantum conundrum
From dust
Nba jam
D&d Daggerdale
The simpsons
Nfl blitz

and I own kingdom for Keflings already :). That's why I'm dipping into full price games

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']I just saw AoS for the first time today. Never heard of it, but for 400 points I downloaded the trial so I'd remember it exists. A very weird group of best selling arcade titles today, I'm seeing a lot of games I've never heard of really high up on the list.

I'll keep that in mind. One thing that kinda turned me off as well was the graphics. I just don't like the way your character has a sort of ghosting effect when you move. Hurts my eyes and makes it hard for me to tell what's going on. I'll keep that in mind though, as it definitely was pretty hard to understand the first time I tried the demo. I feel devs should try a little harder with making their trials easy to understand, and not just dumping the player in. As far as I remember there wasn't any sort of tutorial to be found the whole time I played. Whether or not this was how the original game was, it really didn't make for a great first impression:whistle2:?[/QUOTE]

It's a PS1 game. They didn't have tutorials back then. In these old-school games, you learn to swim or you die.

I'm contemplating Catan and Carcassonne from this weeks deal (which would leave me a frustrating 280 points short of the promo). I've never played either of them in any form. Carcassone seems to be a good pick since it has local co op, but I am definitely turned off by no couch co op for Catan (I realize it is by necessity). I seriously doubt I will try and play an hour long game on Live with a stranger (if I'm even luck enough to find one). So is Catan still fun if you just play against the AI? I have a suspicion the answer is no..

Hmmm, was gonna' get both Carcassone and Catan, but then realized I'll want the Tony Hawk expansion pack next week too once I get the full game, and only so many points to go around.

So my question: Which is the better version, Carcassone or Catan? I love Catan to death as the actual board game, but my experience with PC (aside from the Solitaire Settlers java freeware), DS, and other platform versions is that they tend to be too slow, clunky, and aren't very good ports of the board game. Is the XBL version of Catan actually good? Otherwise I'll probably just get Carcassone for now, because I have yet to play a poor version of that for anything, and the local multi would certainly get use in our house...

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']
I'll keep that in mind. One thing that kinda turned me off as well was the graphics. I just don't like the way your character has a sort of ghosting effect when you move. Hurts my eyes and makes it hard for me to tell what's going on. I'll keep that in mind though, as it definitely was pretty hard to understand the first time I tried the demo. I feel devs should try a little harder with making their trials easy to understand, and not just dumping the player in. As far as I remember there wasn't any sort of tutorial to be found the whole time I played. Whether or not this was how the original game was, it really didn't make for a great first impression:whistle2:?[/QUOTE]

Just pause and look up the controls and you know everything you need to play. Actually, the game doesn't explain save rooms, but you get to one of those before too long. Also, I wrote this FAQ for the Xbox 360 version a while back that has everything you need to get started.

(I won't call your complaint about Alucard's ghosting effect silly. I won't.)

[quote name='Primis']Hmmm, was gonna' get both Carcassone and Catan, but then realized I'll want the Tony Hawk expansion pack next week too once I get the full game, and only so many points to go around.

So my question: Which is the better version, Carcassone or Catan? I love Catan to death as the actual board game, but my experience with PC (aside from the Solitaire Settlers java freeware), DS, and other platform versions is that they tend to be too slow, clunky, and aren't very good ports of the board game. Is the XBL version of Catan actually good? Otherwise I'll probably just get Carcassone for now, because I have yet to play a poor version of that for anything, and the local multi would certainly get use in our house...[/QUOTE]

Catan is great. Carcassone doesn't have much of an online community last I played.

[quote name='eastx']
(I won't call your complaint about Alucard's ghosting effect silly. I won't.)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know it's silly, but if I'm playing a game for any duration of time I don't want it hurting my eyes. Maybe I'd get used to it, I can't say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back