XBL Deals|7/4 Only- Witcher2, OrangeBox, More | 7/5 Only-Hitman:Absolution $10, More | ME3: Omega | BL2 DLC (Gold) | FREE Defense Grid (Gold) | MORE

Status
Not open for further replies.

tylerh1701

CAGiversary!
Feedback
190 (100%)
Here is a list of all the current and upcoming Xbox Live Marketplace Sales for the USA. This includes the Deal of the Week, KINECT Central sale item(s), and any other 3rd-party sales or promotions. We have also included the upcoming Xbox Live Arcade releases in the 2nd post. Most sales are for one week. Feel free to post if you see anything not listed here.

Please note:

• All known sales and information on sales are in the OP. Major Nelson usually updates us with new sales information every other Tuesday. When offers are validated by Moderators, it will be added to the OP as time permits.
  • ALL OFFERS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE! No information within this thread can or should be construed as accurate (or still valid), therefore ...
  • Always verify Xbox Live Marketplace prices before your purchase!
  • Some sales are intended for GOLD MEMBERS ONLY, as noted within each section.
  • Spend wisely, have fun, and enjoy!

7/2 - 7/8 ... Borderlands DLC

7/9 - 7/15 ... Dishonored and Metal Gear Rising DLC and More

• Dishonored Games on Demand - Price Unknown
    DLC - The Knife of Dunwall - 400 MSP (50% off)
  • DLC - Dunwall City Trials - 200 MSP (50% off)
  • DLC - Void Walkers Arsenal - 160 MSP (50% off)

[*]Metal Gear Rising Revengeance DLC
  • Jetstream - 400 MSP (50% off)
  • Raiden Custom Body - 80 MSP (50% off)
  • Bladewolf  - 320 MSP (43% off)

[*]XBLA - Battle: Los Angeles - 400 MSP (50% off)

• Confirmed as future free games: Halo 3

Sales & Specials: Open to Everyone!
NOTE ... if the start & end dates are not well-defined, ACT FAST! since these
"sales" could end anytime. However, they may also be permanent markdowns.

Ultimate Game One Day Sales:

7/2 ... Day One:

7/3 ... Day Two:

7/4 ... Day Three:

7/5 ... Day Four: (will last through 7/7)

7/2 - 7/8 ... Ultimate Games Persistent Sales:

* =  Want to Buy Games On Demand Using Microsoft Points? [customspoiler="GonD with MSP"]
Often overlooked, GoD are by default displayed in dollars both on Xbox.com as well as on the console, but on the very-first confirmation screen of the download process is the option to use Microsoft Points in place of real-world currency.

Through the console, after first selecting to download a GoD you are greeted by a familiar gray confirmation screen that pops up displaying the size of the download as well as confirming the price. At the bottom of this gray pop-up is the instruction to press the "X button" in order to change the payment type to MSP. Pictured below with an arrow:
confirmation.jpg

On Xbox.com they've made it much more obvious, the confirmation "extra step" pop-up after clicking the download link displays a link that simply says "Use Microsoft Points" directly under the price in dollars at the top of the page.

The more you know....[/customspoiler]

Kinect Central sales

7/2 - ??? ... Unannounced Rocksmith DLC Markdowns

7/2 - ??? ... Other Unannounced Markdowns

7/2 - 7/8 ... Robocop and Fast and Furious Avatar Sale

• Please check the avatar store on your Xbox 360 for more information

7/9 - 7/15 ... Just Dance 4

• Price and content unknown

Monthly Marketplace Markdowns
Announced ... as confirmed on the Xbox 360's own dashboard, or corroborated from other sources (PSN, dev/pub, etc).

Unannounced ... from Xbox.com scrapes. *These may or may not be permanent, so judge accordingly.

Unannounced Price Drops for July:

* =  Want to Buy Games On Demand Using Microsoft Points? [customspoiler="GonD with MSP"]
Often overlooked, GoD are by default displayed in dollars both on Xbox.com as well as on the console, but on the very-first confirmation screen of the download process is the option to use Microsoft Points in place of real-world currency.

Through the console, after first selecting to download a GoD you are greeted by a familiar gray confirmation screen that pops up displaying the size of the download as well as confirming the price. At the bottom of this gray pop-up is the instruction to press the "X button" in order to change the payment type to MSP. Pictured below with an arrow:
confirmation.jpg

On Xbox.com they've made it much more obvious, the confirmation "extra step" pop-up after clicking the download link displays a link that simply says "Use Microsoft Points" directly under the price in dollars at the top of the page.

The more you know....[/customspoiler]

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to just pipe in and say that I can't recommend Dark Souls and I actually recommend that people don't buy it. For some reason it has this uncanny ability to get under your skin and you wind up playing it all hours. Even at night you can't sleep, you just have something on your mind about the game. It's basically the video game equivalent of crack. I've put in close to 40 hours into it and barely scratched the surface and I haven't even had it even 5 days yet. Yikes! So unless you're willing to part with your children, your job, your wife/hubby/gf/bf/partner, not to mention eating, sleeping and other sanitary functions: do not buy this game. Recommending it is like recommending someone tries heroin. From Software are drug dealers and I am so absolutely hooked.

Such a fantastic game. Wow. And I love how everything is connected, so you get to a place in let's say The Depths and you look at a wall and you realize that on the other side of the wall is that place in the Undead Parish where the cart is. And you go, wow, the game design is pretty amazing. Anyways, I was supposed to get to my backlog this weekend, but backlog shmaglog, off to get me a hit of the DS.

[quote name='FrankySox']FINALLY got all my points for the MS mess. Decided to go with Fez/BattleBlock Theater/CastleStorm after reading all the positive comments on here. Any other recommendations for some games. I've been fairly inactive on the XBLA games lately as I've tried to catch up on some of my backlog.[/QUOTE]

Shadow Complex
Mark of the Ninja
Dust: An Elysian Tail
DeathSpank
Costume Quest
Renegade Ops
Ilomilo
Stacking
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
Outland
Torchlight

I have about 140 XBLA games and the above are among my favorites. Supposedly the recently released Call of Juarez: Gunslinger is also good, but I haven't tried it yet.

[quote name='illennium']

Ilomilo

I have about 140 XBLA games and the above are among my favorites. Supposedly the recently released Call of Juarez: Gunslinger is also good, but I haven't tried it yet.[/QUOTE]

+1,000,000:bouncy:

[quote name='FrankySox']FINALLY got all my points for the MS mess. Decided to go with Fez/BattleBlock Theater/CastleStorm after reading all the positive comments on here. Any other recommendations for some games. I've been fairly inactive on the XBLA games lately as I've tried to catch up on some of my backlog.[/QUOTE]

I know it isn't out for another few days yet. But I am so psyched for State of Decay. I'd tell you to hold off on buying anything til that comes out and if it is as good as it looks, plunk your points down. One of the few new Xbox exclusives too.

-IloMilo
-Monday Night Combat
-Terraria
-Trials Evolution
-Guardian Heroes
-Sonic Adventure
-YuGiOh 5D (If you like YuGiOh)
-Snoopy Flying Ace
-Retro City Rampage
-Minecraft

Just some of my personal favorites.I am sure that there are some more that I liked but I cant remember them of the top of my head.

Damn, my refund for the Dance Central Marathon Pack was just denied. Very frustrating, I still have a copy of the screen cap of the original price error that I'll send them, but I'm not sure that will do much good. I wish I had screencap'd my checkout screen, but hindsight is 20/20. I wasn't counting on getting charged 1240 more MSP than what my confirmation screen said.

Needless to say, MS is on my shitlist at the moment.

[quote name='tylerh1701']Damn, my refund for the Dance Central Marathon Pack was just denied. Very frustrating, I still have a copy of the screen cap of the original price error that I'll send them, but I'm not sure that will do much good. I wish I had screencap'd my checkout screen, but hindsight is 20/20. I wasn't counting on getting charged 1240 more MSP than what my confirmation screen said.

Needless to say, MS is on my shitlist at the moment.[/QUOTE]

That stinks. Well just don't take no for an answer and keep asking to speak to a supervisor until you reach someone who says that for what is basically $15 it's not worth their time to squabble over it and just hands it over to you.

It's kinda sad no one is talking about Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. The way how this game told the story, put to shame many retail titles. Gameplay is extremely fluid and feel of the guns, satisfying.
Hard to believe it's made by the same guys (Techland). Easily the best in CoJ series.

[quote name='im_dany']Ilomilo is 400MSP now, get it![/QUOTE]

This was deep in the backlog, until yesterday when i played Happy Wars and the game told me to get one achievement in Ilomilo in order to unlock bonus helmet. Man, this game is full of charm. Lost 3 hours after i boot it. Everyone should own it at this price.

[quote name='Sath666']This was deep in the backlog, until yesterday when i played Happy Wars and the game told me to get one achievement in Ilomilo in order to unlock bonus helmet. Man, this game is full of charm. Lost 3 hours after i boot it. Everyone should own it at this price.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Though it's also surprisingly difficult on some of the later levels. There was one where I literally think I broke the level and made it impossible for Ilo and Milo to meet up. I spent 30 minutes trying and just gave up out of frustration. So be aware that for what looks like a kids game it's actually deceptively difficult later on and requires a heap of spatial thinking that I clearly hadn't used in a good while.

[quote name='Sath666']It's kinda sad no one is talking about Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. The way how this game told the story, put to shame many retail titles. Gameplay is extremely fluid and feel of the guns, satisfying.
Hard to believe it's made by the same guys (Techland). Easily the best in CoJ series.[/QUOTE]
I plan to get Call of Juarez Gunslinger, but I'll wait some months to see if it goes on sale.

[quote name='skonson']I know it isn't out for another few days yet. But I am so psyched for State of Decay. I'd tell you to hold off on buying anything til that comes out and if it is as good as it looks, plunk your points down. One of the few new Xbox exclusives too.[/QUOTE]

It's only an exclusive until the PC version comes out later this year. :p

Terraria
Spelunky
Minecraft
Motocross Madness
Double Dragon: Neon

I've put lots of time into each of these games. Motocross Madness being the most surprising, it really gets to be a lot of fun as you unlock more abilities etc. I picked it up as the last purchase for the punchcard promotion a while back, and really enjoyed it more than I expected I would.

[quote name='PenguinJim']It's only an exclusive until the PC version comes out later this year. :p[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I should have been more specific as I meant console exclusive. Pretty much all XBLA games turn up on PC at some point these days as a rule, with only a few exceptions. But let's be honest, PS3 tends to have better console exclusives, though some of their exclusives do trickle out to PC as well, though far less often sadly. So when there's a decent exclusive for the Xbox my ears do perk up a little - hopefully it's as fun as it looks despite being a bit rough in places.

[quote name='Sath666']It's kinda sad no one is talking about Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. The way how this game told the story, put to shame many retail titles. Gameplay is extremely fluid and feel of the guns, satisfying.
Hard to believe it's made by the same guys (Techland). Easily the best in CoJ series.[/QUOTE]

Picked it up yesterday after some more of my cheap MS points turned up, grabbed Monaco as well.

Why are some things on live points and others on sale as money? If you have points can they substitute for the money? Say like nba 2k13 29.99 TIA

[quote name='gepet0']Why are some things on live points and others on sale as money? If you have points can they substitute for the money? Say like nba 2k13 29.99 TIA[/QUOTE]
You can substitute money for points, but not points for money (as an option). For the first, read the OP (green letters).

[quote name='benjamouth']Picked it up yesterday after some more of my cheap MS points turned up, grabbed Monaco as well.[/QUOTE]

You know with all the madness of it's release date being pushed back I forgot about Monaco. How is it on the Xbox? I heard amazing things other than the level progression unlock requires you to get all these chips or something which makes it a pain. Or something to that effect.

Also I love your avatar btw

Well that's fairly baffling... I got an email overnight saying that the two missing points orders went through. Had a chat with a MS rep and she wouldn't push it through, but ok! Thanks for the recommendations, going to pick up Ilomilo and who knows what else.

I'm only 10 minutes into Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, but so far I really dislike it. Maybe that will change as I play more. So far, it's already glitched once in the very first shootout, where I killed everyone but it wouldn't trigger the event required to progress the story. I had to restart from the last checkpoint. Also, the bullet time effect is mapped to RB while the gun is mapped to RT, which at least for me is a very awkward combination that ensures I'll almost never use bullet time. Finally, the cell shaded environment is so busy and so monotone that enemies blend right into the background, so I keep getting shot and can't see where the guys are that I'm supposed to shoot. They're all hiding behind rocks that are the same color as they are. I never had this problem with Borderlands, where color was used well to differentiate between enemies and environments.

So far, blegh to Gunslinger.

[quote name='illennium']I'm only 10 minutes into Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, but so far I really dislike it. Maybe that will change as I play more. So far, it's already glitched once in the very first shootout, where I killed everyone but it wouldn't trigger the event required to progress the story. I had to restart from the last checkpoint. Also, the bullet time effect is mapped to RB while the gun is mapped to RT, which at least for me is a very awkward combination that ensures I'll almost never use bullet time. Finally, the cell shaded environment is so busy and so monotone that enemies blend right into the background, so I keep getting shot and can't see where the guys are that I'm supposed to shoot. They're all hiding behind rocks that are the same color as they are. I never had this problem with Borderlands, where color was used well to differentiate between enemies and environments.

So far, blegh to Gunslinger.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't disagree more. Played it on PC but it's probably my favorite game of the year so far.

[quote name='skonson']But let's be honest, PS3 tends to have better console exclusives[/QUOTE]

If you're talking about third party games exclusive to the PS3... um, maybe? I can't speak for or against them because I still have no good idea of what downloadable PS3 exclusives are must-haves, having just purchased a PS3 on Black Friday. If someone could point me in the direction of a handy dandy list without completely derailing this topic, that'd be great.

First-party, disc-based exclusives being better? Not inclined to agree. They are certainly more plentiful, and Microsoft deserves a good knock on the head for their comparatively narrow output, but something about Sony's first-party titles that aren't GoW or Uncharted... they just... feel... wrong.

Sure wouldn't mind that handy dandy list though ;)

[quote name='illennium']I'm only 10 minutes into Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, but so far I really dislike it. Maybe that will change as I play more. So far, it's already glitched once in the very first shootout, where I killed everyone but it wouldn't trigger the event required to progress the story. I had to restart from the last checkpoint. Also, the bullet time effect is mapped to RB while the gun is mapped to RT, which at least for me is a very awkward combination that ensures I'll almost never use bullet time. Finally, the cell shaded environment is so busy and so monotone that enemies blend right into the background, so I keep getting shot and can't see where the guys are that I'm supposed to shoot. They're all hiding behind rocks that are the same color as they are. I never had this problem with Borderlands, where color was used well to differentiate between enemies and environments.

So far, blegh to Gunslinger.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't you have figured that out by playing the demo, for free? I played the demo through a couple of times, and while I like the game I'm distracted by seeing if there are enough 1600pt GoD games to warrant filling out the June punchcard. Need for Speed Hot Pursuit, Alice Madness Returns (to unlock original from online pass freebie), and Kingdoms of Amalur are topping my list currently, which some maybes for Soul Calibur 4 or 5, Rayman Origins, Fight Night Champ, Legend of Spyro, or Enslaved... I was looking at Dungeon Siege 3 but found out that co-op it doesn't save progress for 2p, which means it might as well not have online co-op.

[quote name='skonson']You know with all the madness of it's release date being pushed back I forgot about Monaco. How is it on the Xbox? I heard amazing things other than the level progression unlock requires you to get all these chips or something which makes it a pain. Or something to that effect.

Also I love your avatar btw[/QUOTE]

Monaco is a blast to play co-op. There is a level progression that is unlocked by stealing the main treasure and escaping (finishing a level) and another set of levels unlocked by cleaning out (collecting all moneys) each level. I like that there are more character options than slots available for a game, and it's fun trying levels with different class combinations. Aside from a couple levels where like all the walls can't be dug through rendering the Mole useless, or an early level with limited security systems making the Hacker a poor choice - most of the time you can beat the levels with whatever combinations you fancy.

*EDIT* I suppose I should point out that the PC version of Monaco has a level editor, but I'm hoping a "greatest hits" makes its way onto xbox as DLC.

[quote name='E.Nich']You can substitute money for points, but not points for money (as an option). For the first, read the OP (green letters).[/QUOTE]
Not sure if I read this correctly. But you CAN substitute points for money. I don't remember how to do it on the console but I know you can. On the website its as simple as clicking the "Use Microsoft Points" link.

[quote name='maesto_bungle']Couldn't you have figured that out by playing the demo, for free? I played the demo through a couple of times, and while I like the game I'm distracted by seeing if there are enough 1600pt GoD games to warrant filling out the June punchcard. Alice Madness Returns (to unlock original from online pass freebie).

I was looking at Dungeon Siege 3 but found out that co-op it doesn't save progress for 2p, which means it might as well not have online co-op. [/QUOTE]

The first Alice game is bundled in the download with Madness Returns. You are buying the game new, regardless of it being in digital format, so it gives you the bonus game just like it would at retail. All you're doing by having that pass downloaded without a disc copy is wasting your drive space, as if you download MR you'll be able to play the original without that extra gig pass from the get go.

Also, Dungeon Siege 3 is a fantastic game. One of my biggest suprises this gen. The coop problem sucks, but you just need a dedicated partner IRL or on your friends list who will play only with you. That's what I did, totally worth it.

[quote name='dark_inchworm']If you're talking about third party games exclusive to the PS3... um, maybe? I can't speak for or against them because I still have no good idea of what downloadable PS3 exclusives are must-haves, having just purchased a PS3 on Black Friday. If someone could point me in the direction of a handy dandy list without completely derailing this topic, that'd be great.

First-party, disc-based exclusives being better? Not inclined to agree. They are certainly more plentiful, and Microsoft deserves a good knock on the head for their comparatively narrow output, but something about Sony's first-party titles that aren't GoW or Uncharted... they just... feel... wrong.

Sure wouldn't mind that handy dandy list though ;)[/QUOTE]

From the top of my head:

Journey, Flower, Flow, The Unfinished Swan, Beat Sketcher, Guacamelee!, Echocrome, Everyday Shooter, Fat Princess, Pixeljunk Eden, Pixeljunk Monsters, Pixeljunk Shooter 1 & 2, Shatter, Back to the Future: The Game, Sideway: New York, Soundshapes, Tokyo Jungle, Super Stardust HD, WipeOut HD, Comet Crash, Trash Panic, Gundemonium Collection, Rainbow Moon, Closure, InFamous: Festival of Blood, Okami HD, Arcana Hearts 3, Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty, Papo & Yo, Jetpack Joyride, A Space Shooter for 2 Bucks, Piyotama, Fight Night Champion: Champion Mode, Star Wars Pinball (yes the tables are available for XBLA but that package with it's unique metagame would be cool to have too especially as people who bought the tables for Zen Pinball got it free).

But hopefully this won't turn into a which is better PS3 or Xbox 360 conversation. I just think the PS3 has better exclusives that almost make it worth owning a PS3 just to play something like Journey or Pixeljunk Monsters or The Unfinished Swan or Tokyo Jungle or even Okami HD. Sony tends to fund games that have unique gameplay experiences whereas Microsoft doesn't often take such chances. To me, Sony doesn't mind trying to make "games as art" whereas Microsoft is more about the bottom line when it comes to smaller games. And not being able to properly self-publish on the Xbox platform sucks, though the indie store does have some nice games, just would be nicer if they included achievement support and things like that. To be honest though, once the Mass Effect series went to other consoles it made me appreciate owning an XBOX 360 a lot less. It's a shame that PS3 3rd parties don't do what Bioware did and buy back their exclusive rights to release onto the 360. Or do what Marvelous did with Deadly Premonition. I know they had hoped to do that with MGS 4 but the fact that it really needs a blu-ray was the stumbling block there. But I think in the last 2 years Microsoft has pushed too many of it's first party studios into doing Kinect games (Fable: The Journey, Kinect Sports 1 & 2) and that's a shame as I'd love to see Lionhead and Rare do something different and maybe less safe and middle of the road

Shame on you! You forgot the Little Big Planet series!
This exclusive was enough for me to own "the other console" :D

Anyway, I pretty much feel like skonson, I'm extremely disapointed with Microsoft and their obsession with kinect.
By saying one name, I'm gonna say it all and that is: RARE
Such a talented team, but unfortunately they are wasting their resources on making games like Kinect Sports...
I'm not implying that this is a bad game... but give me a break considering what kind of gems they released previously.

Shame on you! You forgot the Little Big Planet series!
This exclusive was enough for me to own "the other console" :D

Anyway, I pretty much feel like skonson. I'm extremely disapointed with Microsoft and their obsession with kinect. Edit: ...and TV/Television, Sports rofl
By saying one name, I'm gonna say it all and that is: RARE
Such a talented team, but unfortunately they are wasting their resources on making games like Kinect Sports...
I'm not implying that this is a bad game... but give me a break considering what kind of gems they released previously.

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']^^

I'm pretty sure he was only talking about downloadable PSN games. Otherwise there are a ton missing from that list:whee:[/QUOTE]

Both LBP are downloadable on PSN appart from the retail versions. Also, many games in skonson's list are available on disk.
Anyway, the point is that he made an excellent post that reflects the truth about the exclusive titles.
(Of course I'm not expecting any fanboy to accept this, but never mind....)

[quote name='kinney_bmx']Not sure if I read this correctly. But you CAN substitute points for money. I don't remember how to do it on the console but I know you can. On the website its as simple as clicking the "Use Microsoft Points" link.[/QUOTE]
I think it's as simple as hitting X on the controller on the purchase screen to flip it to MS points.

[quote name='Stepith Bloodia']Hmmm some of the CAGs are giving me the choice of either Gunslinger or wait for State of Decay. Hmhn[/QUOTE]

State of decay hands down... zombies, nouf said... It's pretty much DayZ meets Dead Island.

[quote name='E.Nich']You can substitute money for points, but not points for money (as an option). For the first, read the OP (green letters).[/QUOTE]

[quote name='kinney_bmx']Not sure if I read this correctly. But you CAN substitute points for money. I don't remember how to do it on the console but I know you can. On the website its as simple as clicking the "Use Microsoft Points" link.[/QUOTE]

You can substitute A for B.

Meaning, B can be replaced by A.

You can substitute points for money, as you said.

You cannot substitute money for points, unless you just straight up buy Points in set incremental amounts.

Maybe I've been misunderstood. What I said, is that when you want to buy an arcade game, and the price is set to MSP, you can't pay with money. You have to buy MSP and pay the game with them.

It's different when the price is set with dollars. You press X at the payment screen and the MSP price appears.

edit: Yup, as Indignate says.

I finally got a confirmation for the 1200 MSP I got from Microsoftstore.com, after being lied to by two different live chat msoft employees, saying that I never made an order.... all of a sudden I get a confirmation email today saying thanks for your order on May 25th. The last lady I talked to over the phone tried to insist I was making it all up too.... bunch of assholes.

What is the limit? I got multiple point codes with the code fiasco but only applied 2 so far since I already had 2990msp.

With all these points I can't wait to see what's for sale in the next two weeks.

Is the Dark Souls DLC worth getting? I feel like at this point I might as well wait for DSII if I'm to return to that hellish place any time soon.

[quote name='the Gooseler']What is the limit? I got multiple point codes with the code fiasco but only applied 2 so far since I already had 2990msp.[/QUOTE]

76000 spacebucks. Equivalent to $950

[quote name='dark_inchworm']Sorry in advance to those of you who don't want junior high flashbacks, but I couldn't read this without giggling a little.
[/QUOTE]

I posted it with that intention :cool:

Since I've been debating on Dark Souls GonD I decided to try out Demon Souls and it's a fun game. I played it for over an hour and worked my way through the opening area after the tutorial. There were 3 different directions I could go to.
1) Down a winding staircase with tons of fire weapon guys. I killed 3 guys then looked down and saw the horde and said "eff that noise" and turned right back LOL. I saw other players do the same haha.
2) Go back through the door I entered and continue on the path with more guys waiting.
3) Go back through the door I entered and backtrack in the opposite direction to this bigger shielded guy blocking the path.

First, I entered the fog area just outside the door and it saved so I thought I got a checkpoint, then I headed to see what this big guy was like. He killed me in 1 hit and it took me alllllllllll the way back to the start so I quit. I only died once before that and previously zoomed through that area, but I didn't feel like doing it again. I guess I have to make it to certain hub areas for it to count. I should have known better.

Knowing that's how the game is, I'm passing on Dark Souls just because I know Demons Souls will keep me occupied enough and I would only play it in small spurts like that.

HEADS UP: The Xbox 360 Backlog Support Group is up and running! Check it out for some friendly competition! ;)

[quote name='Cleaner7']I posted it with that intention :cool:

Since I've been debating on Dark Souls GonD I decided to try out Demon Souls and it's a fun game. I played it for over an hour and worked my way through the opening area after the tutorial. There were 3 different directions I could go to.
1) Down a winding staircase with tons of fire weapon guys. I killed 3 guys then looked down and saw the horde and said "eff that noise" and turned right back LOL. I saw other players do the same haha.
2) Go back through the door I entered and continue on the path with more guys waiting.
3) Go back through the door I entered and backtrack in the opposite direction to this bigger shielded guy blocking the path.

First, I entered the fog area just outside the door and it saved so I thought I got a checkpoint, then I headed to see what this big guy was like. He killed me in 1 hit and it took me alllllllllll the way back to the start so I quit. I only died once before that and previously zoomed through that area, but I didn't feel like doing it again. I guess I have to make it to certain hub areas for it to count. I should have known better.

Knowing that's how the game is, I'm passing on Dark Souls just because I know Demons Souls will keep me occupied enough and I would only play it in small spurts like that.

>>>
I picked up Dark Souls. I like it but, like many others, I don't think I have the patience or time to repeat--over and over--the same areas in the hopes of making incremental progress. The game, in my opinion, is seductive in that you "master" an area and think the rest of the game will go smoothly until you are smacked down by an enemy and you then have to spend so much time trying to master this new area. Someone wrote it best when they wrote that they would love Dark Souls if they were 19, had lots of time and only bought a game every couple of months.
I do see the appeal of the game and respect it for what it does.

I wish the game was more accessible for gamers with the much maligned idea of an easy mode. Heck, if I could just keep my souls or not have the enemy respawn then I would really enjoy the game. I recognize this setup would be a different experience than intended but I would actually play through the game if more accessible. To satisfy the sadists--I mean purists--you could even note online that I played on easy. :)

[quote name='skonson']From the top of my head:

Journey, Flower, Flow, The Unfinished Swan, Beat Sketcher, Guacamelee!, Echocrome, Everyday Shooter, Fat Princess, Pixeljunk Eden, Pixeljunk Monsters, Pixeljunk Shooter 1 & 2, Shatter, Back to the Future: The Game, Sideway: New York, Soundshapes, Tokyo Jungle, Super Stardust HD, WipeOut HD, Comet Crash, Trash Panic, Gundemonium Collection, Rainbow Moon, Closure, InFamous: Festival of Blood, Okami HD, Arcana Hearts 3, Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty, Papo & Yo, Jetpack Joyride, A Space Shooter for 2 Bucks, Piyotama, Fight Night Champion: Champion Mode, Star Wars Pinball (yes the tables are available for XBLA but that package with it's unique metagame would be cool to have too especially as people who bought the tables for Zen Pinball got it free).
Only traitorous swine would buy PS3 games! XBOX FOREVERRRRRRR
[/QUOTE]

Thank you for that! A handful of those aren't 100% exclusive, but this gives me a good idea what to keep an eye out for when sales strike. As if I need to spend more money.

[quote name='skonson']It's a shame that PS3 3rd parties don't do what Bioware did and buy back their exclusive rights to release onto the 360.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure that has less to do with Bioware having a change of heart and more to do with EA acquiring Bioware and subsequently lusting for all the money they could milk. But it's all about the dollar - chances are Bioware didn't release Mass Effect exclusively on 360 just because they like the Xbox brand that much. They had their hits on Xbox the First and Microsoft surely begged for more.

And without quoting you yet again, I agree that Microsoft's first-party releases have been playing it much too safe since the Kinect released, and arguably since the 360 debuted. With both control schemes firmly in place from day one of the Xbone, hopefully they'll go for a greater balance, and a wider first-party catalog overall.

[quote name='Cleaner7']I posted it with that intention :cool:[/QUOTE]

Ooh baby :cool:

I still don't get how people are thinking Dark Souls is overly hard. Think of it like a Mega Man game. If you learn from your deaths and adapt new strategies you will succeed. If you keep rushing forward like a bull in a china shop you will die horrible deaths.

Be patient with your progress. Don't rush forward. Keep your shield up. Magic breaks the game. Start as a pyromancer to get a good early boost in offensive capabilities. The master key can let you skip 90% of the most annoying area in the game. Honestly its pretty hard to screw up your stats.

Don't play the game like it's Call of Duty and burst into a room swinging your sword and casting the magics because you will die. Combat in Dark Souls isn't about fast reflexes its about being methodical. If you button mash you will die.

I'm looking at the Ghost Recon: Future Soldier DLC but I only want extra single player content. From the description, Raven Strike is the only one with single player focused content, for those that know, is that correct or am I missing something?

Also, add me to the list of loving Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. I spent my weekend playing this game. I thought the story and the gameplay matched that of some of the retail games I've played. This is definitely the direction Call of Juarez needs to focus on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back