XBLA - Braid - 1200pts

[quote name='squid']Bah! Finally got the speed run.. 42 minutes.. :\ I'd love to see the 31 minute run.[/quote]

Yeah, I cannot fathom how that was done. I'd love to see a vid of it. I got my speed run done last night at right around the 42-43 minute mark myself and that's after I totally forgot how to get the third piece on the second to last area of World 6. I'm confident I could get under 40 minutes but anything less than that is pushing it.

I guess the only thing left now is getting all the stars which would require me to completely erase my save I think, as I've obviously put the World 3 puzzle altogether. I'm not really sure if I want to get the stars that badly or not though.

I finished the game a few days ago. I just wanted to mention that my brain hurt from feeling so smart for finishing without aid. I'm not saying I'm a bright star or sharp tool, but kudos to the game for making me feel like a friggin genius.

I caved and picked this game up last night after trying out the demo. I wasn't thrilled to spend 1200 points, even though most of them were free. Still, the demo hooked me and I'm having a lot of fun playing this game.

Just a question for those who have progressed decently far/beaten it: When I can't figure out the way to obtain a certain puzzle piece (or in my case a lot of them) once you complete more of the game is there something that makes them easier to get? Not like items but maybe strategy you've learned along the way? Some of them are frustrating as hell, and I'm just curious if some of you guys went back after completing more of the game and thought "oh, duh! That's how I do it!"

[quote name='ReturnofBoltz']I caved and picked this game up last night after trying out the demo. I wasn't thrilled to spend 1200 points, even though most of them were free. Still, the demo hooked me and I'm having a lot of fun playing this game.

Just a question for those who have progressed decently far/beaten it: When I can't figure out the way to obtain a certain puzzle piece (or in my case a lot of them) once you complete more of the game is there something that makes them easier to get? Not like items but maybe strategy you've learned along the way? Some of them are frustrating as hell, and I'm just curious if some of you guys went back after completing more of the game and thought "oh, duh! That's how I do it!"[/QUOTE]

Yeah, there's some I went back to later with that same thinking. Also, it worked for me to just step away from the game for a little bit and come back and take a fresh look at it. I went home and I wasn't even thinking about the game and one of the puzzles just clicked in my head.

[quote name='ReturnofBoltz']Just a question for those who have progressed decently far/beaten it: When I can't figure out the way to obtain a certain puzzle piece (or in my case a lot of them) once you complete more of the game is there something that makes them easier to get? Not like items but maybe strategy you've learned along the way? Some of them are frustrating as hell, and I'm just curious if some of you guys went back after completing more of the game and thought "oh, duh! That's how I do it!"[/quote]

Yeah maybe because whenever I got stuck on a puzzle piece I would eventually skip it and move forward. When I was done going through each world, I went back and got the harder ones.

[quote name='ReturnofBoltz']I caved and picked this game up last night after trying out the demo. I wasn't thrilled to spend 1200 points, even though most of them were free. Still, the demo hooked me and I'm having a lot of fun playing this game.

Just a question for those who have progressed decently far/beaten it: When I can't figure out the way to obtain a certain puzzle piece (or in my case a lot of them) once you complete more of the game is there something that makes them easier to get? Not like items but maybe strategy you've learned along the way? Some of them are frustrating as hell, and I'm just curious if some of you guys went back after completing more of the game and thought "oh, duh! That's how I do it!"[/quote]

Same for me, decided the 1200 was warranted and just snatched it up. From what I've played so far, the game's been fantastic. I love all the different, I guess I'd call em 'themes?' in each world. Makes it a lot better than if it were nothing but 60 standard puzzles the whole way through.

I'm at 58 pieces now but I haven't played in 4 days or so because I was away. I'm looking forward to getting the last two pieces (one in World 5 and one in World 6). Hopefully stepping away from it will give me some clarity - I tried getting the World 5 piece for at least an hour the other night and couldn't think of a solution. I may or may not try the speed run but that seems like it would take a pretty long time to perfect...

[quote name='ReturnofBoltz'] Some of them are frustrating as hell, and I'm just curious if some of you guys went back after completing more of the game and thought "oh, duh! That's how I do it!"[/QUOTE]

Yeah, there are definitely some puzzles that build off of other concepts. I know I got two or three extra pieces that I was stuck on just by moving on and then later when I came back they were much more obvious as I had to do something similar in a different puzzle.

I just got 45:30 on the speed run, my best time yet. Kind of annoyed I was only 30 seconds away :( Hopefully I'll be able to get it next time I try!

[quote name='whiptcracker']Yeah, there's some I went back to later with that same thinking. Also, it worked for me to just step away from the game for a little bit and come back and take a fresh look at it. I went home and I wasn't even thinking about the game and one of the puzzles just clicked in my head.[/quote]

Yeah, I did find that taking a step back from the game and playing other games allowed me to go back today "fresher" and see things I wasn't seeing before.

[quote name='Megaten']Same for me, decided the 1200 was warranted and just snatched it up. From what I've played so far, the game's been fantastic. I love all the different, I guess I'd call em 'themes?' in each world. Makes it a lot better than if it were nothing but 60 standard puzzles the whole way through.[/quote]

I agree. I like how there's different themes with the reversing of time and slowing it, etc. I wouldn't have minded playing through the whole game Chapter 2 style, but I'm glad they up the difficulty and thinking levels so that you have other ways of aquiring the puzzle pieces.

[quote name='xcoax']Yeah, there are definitely some puzzles that build off of other concepts. I know I got two or three extra pieces that I was stuck on just by moving on and then later when I came back they were much more obvious as I had to do something similar in a different puzzle.[/quote]

Exactly. I'm still stuck on a lot of puzzle pieces but it seems each time I go back I see different things than I saw before and it kind of just hits me what to try or how exactly to get the specific piece. I'm really liking this game so far, I enjoy the challenge. I don't know how people can look up stuff on gamefaq's or wherever, it's like ruining the game to me.

[quote name='DJSteel']completed the game without any help..fun game..bad character designs...[/quote]

What?! I think that all of the art is amazing, especially the character designs. To each his own, I guess.

I went through a gamut of emotions with this game. I was so drawn in to the story and emotion of Level 2's story. Then as it went on I started to figure out what was going to happen. But I was so sucked into the gameplay which I thought was great, but just too short for $15. Now, Spoliers abound!
After I finished I figured he was the bad guy, but I was hoping for a little more epilogue. I found some of the hidden text but sought more. I really enjoyed the way it became darker and darker per stage as Tim descended into his fantasy but the story was becoming a bit vague. Some things were good for drawing conclusions and some weren't really connecting for me. Then I read this article which was mentioned here.
http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?showtopic=190136 
Yeah, it's a highly recommended read, because it really doesn't feel like a stretch of meaning and explains some little story things. It's a mindbender for sure.

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']I went through a gamut of emotions with this game. I was so drawn in to the story and emotion of Level 2's story. Then as it went on I started to figure out what was going to happen. But I was so sucked into the gameplay which I thought was great, but just too short for $15. Now, Spoliers abound!
After I finished I figured he was the bad guy, but I was hoping for a little more epilogue. I found some of the hidden text but sought more. I really enjoyed the way it became darker and darker per stage as Tim descended into his fantasy but the story was becoming a bit vague. Some things were good for drawing conclusions and some weren't really connecting for me. Then I read this article which was mentioned here.
http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?showtopic=190136%C2%A0
Yeah, it's a highly recommended read, because it really doesn't feel like a stretch of meaning and explains some little story things. It's a mindbender for sure.
[/quote]

Gah! No, please do not compare the economic value of a game to the length if you already thought the game was awesome. Who cares? The reason the game is as short as it is is because there is zero fluff/filler. Braid is the best it can be. Jonathan Blow has stated that there will not be a sequel or DLC for Braid because he cannot think of anymore unique, compelling worlds/puzzles which can be extrapolated into the reason behind Braid's length.

Now about the story. I have not gone back to the game and reread the text, but from my first read through, I got understanding X. Blow has said that he structured the story of Braid like a book rather than how most games structure their story like a movie. The great thing about literature—cinema can too—is that in some books you can read a book again and come away with a new interpretation. There is depth to Braid's story and it uses ambiguity to allow for multiple interpretations. There probably is one true interpretation as Blow sees it when he created the story, but what is great is that everyone can have their own experience.

Uh, I hope all of that made sense.

A little question for everyone; once you complete the game, get all the pieces, and do the speed run...what's left? I just don't see very much replay value aside from the speed run which could take anywhere from 1 to 10 attempts. That isn't to say the game is bad, i just can't justify spending $15 on this. Please persuade me otherwise.

[quote name='SynGamer']A little question for everyone; once you complete the game, get all the pieces, and do the speed run...what's left? I just don't see very much replay value aside from the speed run which could take anywhere from 1 to 10 attempts. That isn't to say the game is bad, i just can't justify spending $15 on this. Please persuade me otherwise.[/quote]

Stars? That is not enough? Did you at least try the demo?

Alright everyone, I went back to play again today, after taking a two day break, and I still don't get it! I listened to Jonathon Blow on Major Nelson's podcast, and they were talking about your mind working on the puzzles when you aren't even playing, and you can go back and suddenly understand it. Well, that doesn't quite work for me. I am not able to wrap my head around the shadow mechanics in World 5. I just don't get it at all. I believe I'm stuck on the third level, where you have to somehow get the key from the bottom to the top. No clue how. Ah! I feel bad now that everyone is completing the game, with the supposed amazing ending, yet I'm still stuck here.

[quote name='Jagged Toaster']Alright everyone, I went back to play again today, after taking a two day break, and I still don't get it! I listened to Jonathon Blow on Major Nelson's podcast, and they were talking about your mind working on the puzzles when you aren't even playing, and you can go back and suddenly understand it. Well, that doesn't quite work for me. I am not able to wrap my head around the shadow mechanics in World 5. I just don't get it at all. I believe I'm stuck on the third level, where you have to somehow get the key from the bottom to the top. No clue how. Ah! I feel bad now that everyone is completing the game, with the supposed amazing ending, yet I'm still stuck here.[/QUOTE]

That was probably the puzzle that had me stumped the longest as well. It's especially brutal because there's so little in that room... yet you know it must be possible... but how the hell!? If you do manage to figure it out without aid though, you'll feel like the smartest guy in the world.

[quote name='Razzuel']Stars? That is not enough? Did you at least try the demo?[/quote]
I tried the demo, enjoyed it, but not enough to make me drop 1200 points.

[quote name='SynGamer']A little question for everyone; once you complete the game, get all the pieces, and do the speed run...what's left? I just don't see very much replay value aside from the speed run which could take anywhere from 1 to 10 attempts. That isn't to say the game is bad, i just can't justify spending $15 on this. Please persuade me otherwise.[/quote]You don't need persuasion to buy something. If it's not worth $15 to you, don't buy it. I think the game is really fun and I've spent time just reading about the story and the development of Braid that I have enjoyed after I completed Braid, so to me it was worth the $12 (thanks to cheap point cards), and I have a friend, which I'm not sure if you do, that wanted the game also. So I gave it to him for free. I'm also working on the speed run, and that will probably take some time and I might use a video guide for that.

It's only as expensive as you make it seem. If you're interested in the game, it's not a ripoff. But I can see that you like playing devil's advocate since you've posted in this thread several times questioning people that have purchased Braid. I don't blame you, it's fun. ;)

I restarted the game so that I
could get that one star
. It'll give me something to do until Castle Crashers comes out.

[quote name='Razzuel']The reason the game is as short as it is is because there is zero fluff/filler. Braid is the best it can be. Jonathan Blow has stated that there will not be a sequel or DLC for Braid because he cannot think of anymore unique, compelling worlds/puzzles which can be extrapolated into the reason behind Braid's length.
[/QUOTE]

That's just BS. There are a ton of puzzles that I can think of alone that would work great into the gameplay mechanics. You want to see some interesting puzzles using one of the game worlds mechanics? Check out the free flash game Chronotron.

If anything, to me Braid's puzzles felt like an example of what you could do with the time mechanics but didn't tap into the full potential of the variety of puzzles that could be created with it. If this game is released on the PC with a level creator, I believe you'll then see the true potential of what is possible with what Braid has introduce.

I tried for some more pieces in World 5, and I ended up getting three that I couldn't before. It's very frustrating, since I can see what I would need to do, but I don't know how to do it.

[quote name='sj41']You don't need persuasion to buy something. If it's not worth $15 to you, don't buy it. I think the game is really fun and I've spent time just reading about the story and the development of Braid that I have enjoyed after I completed Braid, so to me it was worth the $12 (thanks to cheap point cards), and I have a friend, which I'm not sure if you do, that wanted the game also. So I gave it to him for free. I'm also working on the speed run, and that will probably take some time and I might use a video guide for that.

It's only as expensive as you make it seem. If you're interested in the game, it's not a ripoff. But I can see that you like playing devil's advocate since you've posted in this thread several times questioning people that have purchased Braid. I don't blame you, it's fun. ;)[/quote]
I only ask because i can't try the full game. I want to know if there's more than just getting stars/pieces, and the speed run. I'm in the unfortunate position that i don't have access to discounted point cards, so my purchase is indeed $15 for this game, as opposed to some of you who managed to drop the price to $10 or possibly even less.

[quote name='SynGamer']I only ask because i can't try the full game. I want to know if there's more than just getting stars/pieces, and the speed run. I'm in the unfortunate position that i don't have access to discounted point cards, so my purchase is indeed $15 for this game, as opposed to some of you who managed to drop the price to $10 or possibly even less.[/quote]

I paid $15, as did many others. I thought it was worth it. I guess whether it's worth $15 or not depends on how much expendable cash you've got.

Not a lot? Stick to $15 to $20 retail gems that are priced as such because they've been out a while, are used, or on sale.

Got a little more? Go with retail gems up to $30 or $40 as well as shorter "arcade" or XBLA gems for $10 to $15, which I think would include Braid, though it's pushing it.

Got a lot more? Buy any gem or game that interests that you come across all the way through $60.

Bottom line is if you're paying $60 for any full retail gems, Braid is a no-brainer for $15. If you lean more towards the middle or lower of my off-the-top-of-my-head-and-probably-inaccurate pricing tiers, which you probably do being a CAG, then Braid is harder to shell out for. It is definitely a gem you should play eventually, though. I don't follow XBLA pricing closely at all. Do games come down in price ever?

I'm a cheap ass...the last time i paid full price for a game was when GT4 came out. Since then, thanks to CAG, i've waited on deals and the most i've paid for a new game was $39 for GTA IV. It's not so much i don't have the money, rather, i'm trying to get as much as i can out of it.

[quote name='SynGamer']I only ask because i can't try the full game. I want to know if there's more than just getting stars/pieces, and the speed run. I'm in the unfortunate position that i don't have access to discounted point cards, so my purchase is indeed $15 for this game, as opposed to some of you who managed to drop the price to $10 or possibly even less.[/quote]I guess that's your punishment for not having any friends or a Target in Potsdam.:)

Here, I'll make this decision easier for you. Braid is not worth $15. It is an absolute piece of garbage and shouldn't be played even if given away for free. The game is far too short to be considered enjoyable, so it is not worth the money. There is no online multiplayer where you kill each other, so therefore, the game has no value to it. After you beat it, you get no enjoyment out of watching your girlfriend/wife play it while you are there to help them. This is the most overhyped game of the year.

[quote name='sj41']I guess that's your punishment for not having any friends or a Target in Potsdam.:)

Here, I'll make this decision easier for you. Braid is not worth $15. It is an absolute piece of garbage and shouldn't be played even if given away for free. The game is far too short to be considered enjoyable, so it is not worth the money. There is no online multiplayer where you kill each other, so therefore, the game has no value to it. After you beat it, you get no enjoyment out of watching your girlfriend/wife play it while you are there to help them. This is the most overhyped game of the year.[/quote]
Thank you for your brutal honesty :D Joking aside, my intentions were never to label Braid as a bad game, i just wanted to know what i'm getting for my $15 (since Potsdam, NY is the devil's town). Perhaps there were some secret worlds or something similar in the full game...that's all i wanted to know.

[quote name='SynGamer']I'm a cheap ass...the last time i paid full price for a game was when GT4 came out. Since then, thanks to CAG, i've waited on deals and the most i've paid for a new game was $39 for GTA IV. It's not so much i don't have the money, rather, i'm trying to get as much as i can out of it.[/QUOTE]

If you're looking for a platform-puzzle experience with a unique graphical style just get the XBLA game Exit. It's 800 points and has more content, plus additional free downloadable content.

I have seen the light! I picked up an extra points card, because of the sale at target and so I would have plenty of points for Castle Crashers. I realized that I would have enough to get Braid and Castle Crashers.

So I went for it and bought Braid.

Let me tell you this game is worth it. It is amazing. Everything about it.
I was a skeptic and I steered clean after playing the short demo.

It is worth 15 dollars....trust me on this one, and I hated the idea of it being 15 bucks.

[quote name='whiptcracker']That's just BS. There are a ton of puzzles that I can think of alone that would work great into the gameplay mechanics. You want to see some interesting puzzles using one of the game worlds mechanics? Check out the free flash game Chronotron.

If anything, to me Braid's puzzles felt like an example of what you could do with the time mechanics but didn't tap into the full potential of the variety of puzzles that could be created with it. If this game is released on the PC with a level creator, I believe you'll then see the true potential of what is possible with what Braid has introduce.[/quote]

Alright I sort of misquoted him, which makes me feel horrible. If you listen to Evil Avatar Radio #118, Jonathan Blow explains that he has some ideas for more puzzles but if he were to make more worlds or puzzle packs then they would not be as good as the original. It is around the 40 minute mark.

He also explained it in another way on his blog.

http://braid-game.com/news/?p=301#comment-2469

I hope that makes more sense, sorry for the misunderstanding.

I finished it last night!
WTF is with the story? It made no sense whatsoever. I thought there would be some big reveal at the end but it was just more confusion... oh well, I LOVED it anyway.
Totally worth the $15.

After I first beat it, I figured no way am I going after the stars or speed run....now I'm considering it.

I really want to see the Andromedia Chain and have this all gel more in my head. The one flaw I've seen with that thread is when some people try to chapter by chapter relate everything to the bomb. There's a mix of personal in there and some it could be read to literal human interactions/failures of a man obsessed with the nuclear science.

But yes, I did enjoy the puzzles of the game immensely. I do still wish there was more to it since in order to fully appreciate the end of the game you have to do your homework on it.

Also, the trend of 1200 point games seems like a big Microsoft backed push. If I'm not mistaken, I read the posted interview with Blow and while he may have "wanted" 800 points, he didn't fight or argue 1200 at all. He just pretty much said "ok". I'm just not a fan of Microsoft pushing for the higher points on their arcade items.

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']
Also, the trend of 1200 point games seems like a big Microsoft backed push. If I'm not mistaken, I read the posted interview with Blow and while he may have "wanted" 800 points, he didn't fight or argue 1200 at all. He just pretty much said "ok". I'm just not a fan of Microsoft pushing for the higher points on their arcade items.[/quote]

I think Microsoft is trying to adopt a new strategy where they discount and run sales on XBLA games so that they can make make 800 points or 1000 points look like even more of a bargain in the future.

I originally passed on buying this game but recently decided to give the demo another shot. I have a couple of questions for the group here.

1) In the demo is it possible to obtain all of the puzzle pieces?
2) How often can you go through the level and get all of the puzzle pieces without having to go back.

I ask those questions because I couldn't figure out for the life of me how to get some of those pieces in the demo. If I was supposed to know how then I'm screwed 'cause I suck.

1) yes.
2)whenever you want, theres a door per level per world that gives you instant access as well as tells you how many puzzle pieces you have left for that level

Since I had a bunch of extra points i decided to pick this game up. Its fun and its definitely a different type of platformer. The writting at first was great, I understood what was going on and everything was cool.
The last stage is great...very unique and ate it up. The books at the end definitely confused me, looking into a candy shop, dropping apple to examine, shit threw me off track...Not sure what was really going on there.

Whats the deal w/ the stars? I see there is an achievement for speed running throughout the game but nothing for stars...do they even matter? Does it unlock more story ?

so anyways for a game thats 4hours...its probably not worth 15$, but a lot of 10$ games shouldnt be 10$ either. I dont regret buying it since it was better then the demo and the story was f'n amazing for everything until the very end.

[quote name='naiku']Whats the deal w/ the stars? I see there is an achievement for speed running throughout the game but nothing for stars...do they even matter? Does it unlock more story ?[/quote]

Yeah, I didn't understand the stars thing either. I still don't know where they are, but I've read that apparently eight stars are hidden randomly throughout the levels. I've played through the game twice now without finding any. There's an alternate ending if you find them all. Anyone have any tips for finding them (without giving away they're exact locations)?

Here's the all the levels that the stars are in.

House
2-2 - The Cloud Bridge
4-5 - Moving By Design
4-7 - Fickle Companion
5-4 - Crossing the Gap
6-5 - Impassable Foliage
6-6 - Elevator Action
1-1 - Braid

Unless you know the exact locations you probably won't find them. I saw a youtube video of the locations and most are insanely difficult.

As for the actual meaning of the story it's probably not what you think, and may be a bit disapointing to some. To sum it up here's what it's about WARNING MAJOR SPOILERS ---->
The creation of the nuclear bomb

[quote name='Rodimus']Unless you know the exact locations you probably won't find them. I saw a youtube video of the locations and most are insanely difficult.[/quote]

Eh i dont think they are that hard to find. I found 2 on my own pretty easy. My problem was that i thought there was only 1 per level, which in some levels there are none. The cloud one is one that would be hard to find, same with the "puzzle" star. But the rest i think are obtainable if you take your time and search.

There are a few obvious hints in the levels. Some may not be so hard to find but actually obtaining all 8 isn't a simple task.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Battousai1002']Here's the all the levels that the stars are in.

House
2-2 - The Cloud Bridge
4-5 - Moving By Design
4-7 - Fickle Companion
5-4 - Crossing the Gap
6-5 - Impassable Foliage
6-6 - Elevator Action
1-1 - Braid
[/quote]I was going to ask for that, so thanks for posting. I'm going to find them without getting any hints, but I had no clue what levels I had to search for them in.

The first level was very rewarding for me, finally figuring out how to get the puzzle pieces was cool. Now in the next board I'm totally getting my ass handed to me. How on earth do I essentially crouch to get keys that are below waist level? And how do I get past steel walls?

[quote name='ZForce915']The first level was very rewarding for me, finally figuring out how to get the puzzle pieces was cool. Now in the next board I'm totally getting my ass handed to me. How on earth do I essentially crouch to get keys that are below waist level? And how do I get past steel walls?[/quote]

There is always a solution.

Remember reversing time is always valuable. But sometimes you have to be standing in the right areas. Remember, everything that has a glowing sparkle on it, is not effected by reversing time.

PS. You cant crouch, but smaller characters might be able to help. ;)

bread's done
Back