[XBLA] Guardian Heroes "HD"!! - Release date: OCTOBER 12TH! - 800 MSP

SAB-CA

CAGiversary!
goh177t.jpg

GHHD1.jpg

GHHD2.jpg

SEGA® of America, Inc. and SEGA® Europe Ltd. today announced the upcoming re-release of Guardian Heroes™, a classic Action-RPG Brawler by celebrated developers Treasure. Originally released for the SEGA Saturn™ in 1996, Guardian Heroes has been re-mastered with enhanced graphics, online co-op and battle modes, all-new modes of play, and more. The game will be available via Xbox LIVE® Arcade for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft this fall.

“Ever since we began to make SEGA’s classic Dreamcast and the Mega Drive titles available for modern systems, the fan response has been overwhelming – and the demand for their favorite games has been pouring in,” said Haruki Satomi, VP of Digital Business at SEGA. “Players have been clamoring for this treasured favorite from the Saturn days, and we cannot wait to show them what we have got for them.”

Guardian Heroes brings the Saturn favorite to life with new HD graphics, presenting Treasure’s iconic fast-paced gameplay on a new generation of hardware, with all of the convenience of purchase via instant download.

The game also features:

• Action-RPG Brawling: Choose one of five heroes to level up and guide along a branching storyline with five different endings
  • Friends, Foes, and Fighters: Play the game’s Story Mode alone or with a second player, or challenge Versus Mode with up to 12 players at once
  • Extended Gameplay: Time Attack Mode, Arcade Mode, Arrange Mode and more allow players to explore every nuance of 45 different fighters
  • Fully Re-Mastered: All-new graphics and visual effects bring the classic to life in a completely high-definition, widescreen presentation!
:drool::bouncy::applause::lol::bouncy:

UndeadHeroVictory.jpg
NiceGorillaSharkHighFive.png

Official Sites:
GOTF for me, for all systems, for all time (^_^) SOOOOOO GOOD. Some of the best gaming news EVER.

Since nowhere else but the first press release mentions "Fall", I've updated the title to simply "This Summer".

EDIT (5/17): First Official Trailer (30 seconds):

SECOND Official Trailer (NEW Sept 6):

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just coming here to make this thread if one didn't exist. I loved this game no matter how little sense it made. Day one purchase for me, now they just need to follow this with Shining Force 3.

High-five SAB-CA!

hope this is a trend, would really enjoy some other hd saturn games, and maybe one day, one day, an English HD version of Princess Crown

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']I was just coming here to make this thread if one didn't exist. I loved this game no matter how little sense it made. Day one purchase for me, now they just need to follow this with Shining Force 3.

High-five SAB-CA![/QUOTE]

\\:D/ Part of the awesome is how little sense it made! I swear it's the archetype to every RPG ever (Humans are awesome! FIGHT THE GODS!), and GH made it more and more obvious... And you had awesome quotes, like Kannon in VS "Now, you can plainly see why I am a BOSS, and not some underling!" or something to that effect ^_^

Now prepare to cry a bit, as they've unleashed screens....
(Note: Screens looks pretty decent scaled down, but viewed full screen... it starts to get.. ugh.)

image_guardian_heroes-15555-2280_0004.jpg

image_guardian_heroes-15555-2280_0005.jpg

Go HERE for the Rest!

It Really shoulda LOOKED LIKE THIS.... but that'd make too much sense, right?

BUT... it's still Guardian Heroes, Still on an HD system, still with online... still Day one!

This is really awesome. And they're giving it the HD treatment. Gives me hope for the two Shenmue games if they ever decide to release those on XBLA.

Interesting Twist of Odd: even though the Press release says "This Fall", the Sega Europe website says it could be out "This Summer". (o_O)

I'd be very happy not having to wait, hopefully this gets cleared up (Along with a few proper trailers) soon!

This was one of the games I always wanted to play on the Saturn (no one I knew had one, since we were all broke jr high kids at the time.) I look forward to it :bouncy:

Sounds awesome but i doubt the hd graphics will be better than the original which had some of the best sprites i have ever seen. Bring on Dragonforce!

All they fucking did is run a Super Eagle filter over it, and it looks like they cropped the image as well. I'll be sticking with the Saturn version thankyouverymuch.

Digital distribution - devaluing my collection one rare game at a time. Nah, I'm kidding, this is actually awesome news. The original version has some hideous slowdown though, hope that's fixed. Oh, and please make the dialog skippable.

Of course the filter is optional.

This news is so freaking awesome. GH was the first game I imported from Japan back in the day. LOVE this game! This news almost makes up for Mass Effect 3 delay. I cannot wait to tear into this one again!!!

Gamespot's "On the Spot" had actual gameplay of the port on the air tonight (it's not archived on the site yet, either :( ). The game looks great in motion; The original version has classic lifebars and pixel art (but widescreen!), and the HD filters redo the special effects a bit (Higher res, but same art), while also redrawning the character portraits for conversations in a higher resolution (still looks like spritework.)

In motion, it looks fantastic, though I don't think we got to see that same pencil-filter that they showed in the screens. Also, character select artwork is a resed-up digital trace of some art that Han (the game's original artist) did for Advance Guardian Heroes; You also see this art when the game is paused.

Seems like a very well done port, so far; Hopefully, the videos / a trailer will emerge soon!

[quote name='SAB-CA']Gamespot's "On the Spot" had actual gameplay of the port on the air tonight (it's not archived on the site yet, either :( ). The game looks great in motion; The original version has classic lifebars and pixel art (but widescreen!), and the HD filters redo the special effects a bit (Higher res, but same art), while also redrawning the character portraits for conversations in a higher resolution (still looks like spritework.)

In motion, it looks fantastic, though I don't think we got to see that same pencil-filter that they showed in the screens. Also, character select artwork is a resed-up digital trace of some art that Han (the game's original artist) did for Advance Guardian Heroes; You also see this art when the game is paused.

Seems like a very well done port, so far; Hopefully, the videos / a trailer will emerge soon![/QUOTE]

I think it looks great in motion. The screens seem like they have some corny (thankfully optional) filter applied. Here is the gamespot link:

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/act...roes-hd--daily-demo?&tag=stitialclk;gamespace

Hopefully this one will launch at 800 points :D

I still have it on Sega Saturn. It was a awesome game. I actually bought it on release. I'm tempted to sale mine before it goes down in value and before this is released. I would end up buying this instead.

-Edit- sp8001 posted the link before I made a seperate post, nothing to see here! Vid link added to OP as well.

If this launches for 800pts, it'll be quite a deal! If 1200... it'll STILL be a deal! 45 playable characters, 5 ending, 50-some stage story mode, and an arena mode that's getting blown up to 12 players online... this has always been one of those games which I judge all other game content by. Considering it should have all the original stuff, perfectly remade in widescreen, + HD-ified special effects and all, new character artwork, and more we don't know of yet (redrawn ending?)... It's just such a full game!

[quote name='KingBroly']I was interested but it looks TERRIBLE.[/QUOTE]

Games don't have to look like Crysis 2 to be considered "good"

I, for one, really enjoy the retro games of yesteryear... Graphics mean nothing when the gameplay is there in full force. I will be buying this one on Day 1. Another classic HD remake I am looking forward to on XBLA is Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee.

And if you haven't checked out Treasure's Bangai-O HD yet... Please do... It released yesterday on XBLA (for 800 points) and it's fantastic.

[quote name='KingBroly']I was interested but it looks TERRIBLE.[/QUOTE]

The Saturn mode looks 100% like the original game... just in widescreen.

The new filtered mode doesn't look bad in motion, but a complete re-draw at higher rez would have been preferred.

The game isn't the sharpest thing in the world (even for Saturn, it looked pixelated!), but when you consider how many, and what size characters they pushed on-screen, and on the notoriously hard to program for Saturn... it's still quite an achievement. It also has nice personality and style with it's character design, and the semi-cel-shade anime look they went for with the sprites (as opposed to, say, the more realistic shades of a SF or KoF.)

The gameplay is fantastic, too. If you ever liked / wanted to play the game proper, trust me, it's worth it!

The cost and time it would take to redraw the entire game's graphics would've pushed this re-release way past the point of "not economically feasible". It looks fine the way it is and even the filter looks pretty ok.

Sweet. I look forward to going through this one with my G/F. :D
I have the JP version, but it's hard playing it with people that don't know JP.

Now is probably the best time to sell the Saturn version, but I'll be on vacation the last 2 weeks of the month and moving the next! Same with Earthbound. The price is peaking on that one.

Japanese Official Site: http://ss.sega.jp/gh/

Features new Artwork, and says the game will be released (in Japan) This Summer, for 800 MSP. :bouncy::bouncy:

gameimg003_01_l.jpg

Wow, look at all that new artwork! Shame the portraits don't seem to change to the colors selected though, that would be very helpful.
Note also that the BG in that picture is the same picture from the old anime logo.

Think that's the first time we've seen the "use the anime pics!" style used in this version.

Gash looks so different! :lol: It's also good to see my favorite Generic Royal Knight getting some new art.

I hope this game has a Gallery mode to view all of this artwork!
gameimg004_01_l.jpg

gameimg004_02_l.jpg

If my Google Translate-Fu is right with this, I think it's saying this is the new Arcade mode.

Apparenrly it's like a survival mode, where you fight up to 21 characters simultaneously. I think it suggest that as the enemies are defeated, new ones jump in, and they level up as you defeat more.

[quote name='SAB-CA']Japanese Official Site: http://ss.sega.jp/gh/

Features new Artwork, and says the game will be released (in Japan) This Summer, for 800 MSP. :bouncy::bouncy:
[/QUOTE]

800 MSP launch price makes me smile :D

Day 1 purchase for me!

From the Sega Blog: http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2011/05/13/about-those-graphics-in-guardian-heroes/
We announced Guardian Heroes for XBLA last week, and the response was great! It’s amazing to see so much excitement around this game. But one thing that generated a lot of questions and comments was the statement “Guardian Heroes has been re-mastered with enhanced graphics”. A lot of you wanted to know exactly what that meant, so here are some more details for you!

In HD:
Characters – upgraded to HD quality
Visual Effects – newly created in HD
Fonts – newly created in HD
Gauges – newly created in HD
Close-ups of Characters (in the character select screen) – newly created in HD

Same as Saturn:
Backgrounds
Music
Story mode

Changes:
Voices – some are from the Saturn version, some are newly created
Arcade mode – paths are the same as the Saturn version, but AI’s are new
Versus mode – improved from Saturn version with additional rules and a more polished game balance)
Extra modes – newly created for XBLA version

Saturn Mode:
All visuals are the same as the Saturn version except for the font and screen aspect ratio

And because I know you want comparison shots, here they are!

With HD
5716182001_6d715c7b56.jpg

5716182547_ca6e6b237a.jpg

Saturn Mode
5716746680_55ea1009a8.jpg

5716747196_945bfd251b.jpg

Hope that clears it up for you!

Here that is again without the quote tags in case anyone else would like to quote it:

In HD:
  • Characters – upgraded to HD quality
  • Visual Effects – newly created in HD
  • Fonts – newly created in HD
  • Gauges – newly created in HD
  • Close-ups of Characters (in the character select screen) – newly created in HD
Same as Saturn:
  • Backgrounds
  • Music
  • Story mode
Changes:
  • Voices – some are from the Saturn version, some are newly created
  • Arcade mode – paths are the same as the Saturn version, but AI’s are new
  • Versus mode – improved from Saturn version with additional rules and a more polished game balance)
  • Extra modes – newly created for XBLA version
  • Saturn Mode: All visuals are the same as the Saturn version except for the font and screen aspect ratio
Comparison Screenshots

With HD

Saturn Mode

At first, I thought the new graphics looked terrible. Now, after seeing them a bit more, they're not so bad. I do miss the original font and gauges, though. That silver frame around the health gauges in the HD version is kind of ugly.

[quote name='eastx']Here that is again without the quote tags in case anyone else would like to quote it:

In HD:
  • Characters – upgraded to HD quality
  • Visual Effects – newly created in HD
  • Fonts – newly created in HD
  • Gauges – newly created in HD
  • Close-ups of Characters (in the character select screen) – newly created in HD
Same as Saturn:
  • Backgrounds
  • Music
  • Story mode
Changes:
  • Voices – some are from the Saturn version, some are newly created
  • Arcade mode – paths are the same as the Saturn version, but AI’s are new
  • Versus mode – improved from Saturn version with additional rules and a more polished game balance)
  • Extra modes – newly created for XBLA version
  • Saturn Mode: All visuals are the same as the Saturn version except for the font and screen aspect ratio
Comparison Screenshots

With HD

Saturn Mode

[/QUOTE]

Done!

Heh, thanks. The reason I said it like that is that you can't quote someone else's quote. Because SAB-CA used the quote tags, when I wanted to use that text on another forum, I had to paste the text from the original article and then format it.

Well then, sorry about the quotes, Eastx. Your nicely formated style does make things easier!

Moving on, Trailer released today!

http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_guardian_heroes_trailer-20840_en.html

Youtube:

http://youtu.be/G55HRPeDXJ8

Gametrailers (HD):

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/debut-trailer-guardian-heroes/713973

In that 30 seconds, we can see the "new" graphics also being used with a modified version of the old lifebars. (Not the over-futuristic ones used in previous screens). Does this mean we'll have options on what kinda HUD to use? Hmmm...

[quote name='SAB-CA']In that 30 seconds, we can see the "new" graphics also being used with a modified version of the old lifebars. (Not the over-futuristic ones used in previous screens). Does this mean we'll have options on what kinda HUD to use? Hmmm...[/QUOTE]

Those alternate lifebars look much better than the ones with the huge metallic border. I'm hoping they'll be available with the new graphics.

Pre-E3 look at the concept art for the game (Han's original concept art, maybe?)

http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2011/06/03/segae3-guardian-heroes-concept-art/

5794913068_2ed66e6992.jpg

Hey Guardian Heroes fans! We’ll be showing off the game at E3 next week, and we’ve got some great concept art to get you pumped up for it! In addition to the great group image above, we’re highlighting two characters: Serena Corsair and Samuel Han.

Serena Corsair
5794358479_cf2b8d2af0.jpg

Serena Corsair: Was a member of the Royal Nights: Red Group until she defected upon learning Kanon’s plans. She first appears as she warns the Guardian Heroes that they are to be ambushed by royal knights seeking the sword of the Undead Hero they found at the start of the game. She is later an unlockable character.

5794912684_dd08c589ce.jpg

Samuel Han
5794913974_946b066fc0.jpg

Samuel Han: Previous member of the Royal Knight: Blue Team who left to seek fame and fortune as an Adventurer. The story begins as Han has acquired the Sword of the Undead Hero, and they are ambushed by the Royal Knights. He is arguably the protaganist in the story.

5794912936_e9feaa900b.jpg

Guardian Heroes on "Mash Tactics" 6/29/11: http://www.justin.tv/destructoid/b/289141075

Starts at around 16:26 in. The XBLA title screen pops up a few minutes before that, with the into music playing.
Don't know how long it is myself yet, but hey, any chance to see the game, is a chance to see something new, right?
GH's goes on till about 0:57:32... and then comes back on at 1:25:52
Kanon starts his infamous trip through heaven and hell at around 1:32:00
1:44:45 goes to the forest stage, where as most of the playthroughs here go to the first option after graveyard (which leads to stage 4)
They play it on till the end of this 2 hr segment.

Guardian Heroes. TOMORROW.

@majornelson: Rock of Ages, Guardian Heroes, Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection, Ugly Americans: Apocalypsegeddon (800 pts/each) + The Baconing (1200 points)

^ Ignore the above. Major Nelson dun Goofed. Look below for more info.

bread's done
Back