XBLA - Gyromancer - 11/18 - 1200 pts

[quote name='fart_bubble']yeah, the score resets every time you enter and leave.

the higher the number in the circle, the faster it is to build up your attacks. I haven't been able to get it to go over 3 either.[/QUOTE]

I can confirm now that the score resets every time you leave. I have a crappy CRT, and it's hard sometimes to see all the little details. Should hopefully have a nice flat-panel by January.

Moving on to the third stage. Game is so addictive. :D

You know I thought the demo was a bit short and I want to see more reviews before I make a decision but I do love Bejeweled Twist as well and I find this fighting entertaining and that's something for a match three color genre. Wow I just realized, sorry for the run on sentence lol.

[quote name='Spybreak8']You know I thought the demo was a bit short and I want to see more reviews before I make a decision but I do love Bejeweled Twist as well and I find this fighting entertaining and that's something for a match three color genre. Wow I just realized, sorry for the run on sentence lol.[/QUOTE]

If you liked Puzzle Quest and wish Puzzle Quest Galactrix would find its own special spot in hell, you'll like Gyromancer.

[quote name='utopianmachine']If you liked Puzzle Quest and wish Puzzle Quest Galactrix would find its own special spot in hell, you'll like Gyromancer.[/QUOTE]

You see I enjoyed Galactix, not as much as the original PQ, but that probably had to do with the fact that I managed to snag a copy off ebay for half off the original price.:bouncy:

I enjoy sci-fi stuff anyways, Star Wars, Star Trek, Stargate SG-1, Atlantis sucked, and played Freelancer and Earth & Beyond on my pc in previous years.

The big thing about that game was the board was more dynamic allowing pieces to come from any angle, love it or hate it.

[quote name='Spybreak8']You see I enjoyed Galactix, not as much as the original PQ, but that probably had to do with the fact that I managed to snag a copy off ebay for half off the original price.:bouncy:

I enjoy sci-fi stuff anyways, Star Wars, Star Trek, Stargate SG-1, Atlantis sucked, and played Freelancer and Earth & Beyond on my pc in previous years.

The big thing about that game was the board was more dynamic allowing pieces to come from any angle, love it or hate it.[/QUOTE]

I'm only going by the demo here, but I agree that PQ:G takes a lot of hate and I don't think it's as bad as people say. I just think people were expecting same thing and the fact that it was different surprised people and it just became to different for it's own good. It also helps that I too dig sci-fi stuff.

The only bad thing, and it's a fairly big deal, was the overwhelming need to hack to get anywhere in Galactrix. Once you get past most of them and can move around more freely, it's really good and is better than the first, as cheating AI hurt the first PQ a lot.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The only bad thing, and it's a fairly big deal, was the overwhelming need to hack to get anywhere in Galactrix. Once you get past most of them and can move around more freely, it's really good and is better than the first, as cheating AI hurt the first PQ a lot.[/QUOTE]

Very true, it was a major design flaw with Galactrix.

Even if they gave it a borderlands grind xp system to it (open up Gate and receive xp for doin so at the planet you had to reach or at the initial given mission destination), it would have been at least meaningful.

I prefer pq the original over galactrix even though that one is okay. I am on the fence about this one even though it is a little cheaper but still..I don't want to end up with another game like this rpg bejewel type of game. That means i'd have 3 plus all the other puzzle games like astropop, tetris, lumines and others I already have. Damnz it's a tough call

This game is so so so so bad. Why did I buy this turdfest? My god. Zero difficulty, retard gameplay. It's like they just don't get it at all.

[quote name='nnthomas']This game is so so so so bad. Why did I buy this turdfest? My god. Zero difficulty, retard gameplay. It's like they just don't get it at all.[/QUOTE]

In the beginning, the game was difficult for me. In Puzzle Quest, the entire game's difficulty adjusted to the strength of your character. If you raised a level, everyone raised a level, so you were always playing against characters pretty much on par with you.

Not so in Gyromancer, it seems... Everything's just a little too easy now, but I'm still having a good time.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Anyone know how to execute a gyro for the achievement yet?[/QUOTE]

Read the help page bro.

You have to get the chain to 6. I got it last night.

[quote name='nnthomas']You have to get the chain to 6. I got it last night.[/QUOTE]

You mean the circle thing at the bottom? I've been confused by the help section a little. If you're talking about the circle (gyro), then I've gotten it up to 4. So I guess I'm on the right track for that achievement.

Yes that one. It's difficult to get, I always run out of moves. But I got lucky I guess. It doesnt even do anything special, my regular attacks do more damage.

[quote name='nnthomas']Yes that one. It's difficult to get, I always run out of moves. But I got lucky I guess. It doesnt even do anything special, my regular attacks do more damage.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad to know how to get it now. I'll keep trying. Thanks for the help! :D

[quote name='BoneMonkey80']I wanted to get this but this is what killed it

Update: Gyromancer will sell for 1200 Microsoft Points / $15, a representative of publisher-developer Square Enix has confirmed with Shacknews.

1200 points fuck YOU ENIX[/QUOTE]

When you consider that things like Battlefield 1943 were the same price, it really puts things into perspective...

Reached the 5th chain level today, so I'm inching closer to getting that Gyro achievement.

The storyline picks up around the 4th stage, but it's still nothing to write home about. The problem with a game like this is it's going to be compared directly to Puzzle Quest. PQ did so many things right. The story was something memorable, with a lot of quirky additions like hunting specific monsters for that big troll or orc or whatnot, just because it wanted to eat them to see how they tasted.

Gyromancer's storyline appears to only be meaningful at the start of each stage, then with no mention of the story for the remainder of the stage. It takes you out of the experience, weaking the game so that you're only playing rounds of Bejewled Twist, but to little purpose.

Don't get me wrong; I'm enjoying the game. It's just I know it could be so much better.

Just unlocked Challenger's Door. Some of those awards are INSANE. Make a match of 7 or more gems in the same row with a single twist? Destroy all gems on the board with a single twist?

Yikes.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Just unlocked Challenger's Door. Some of those awards are INSANE. Make a match of 7 or more gems in the same row with a single twist? Destroy all gems on the board with a single twist?

Yikes.[/QUOTE]

its called Challenger's Door for a reason

I love Puzzle Quest, but there's just something about Gyromancer that was off to me when I gave the demo a run through. I'll probably give it another try and see if it clicks for me.

I've played through the demo a couple times, and I just can't get into it.

Puzzle Quest was an incredibly deep, almost table-top style, RPG with strategic games of Bejewelled replacing the typical turn-based combat.

Gyromancer is basically Bejewelled Twist with a paper-thin RPG draped over it. And it's a Squeenix RPG at that, with its usual nonsensical story, overblown art style, and cheesy music included.

It's funny to think Pop Cap got utterly schooled at their own game two years before they even started playing.

But to be fair, PQ: Galactrix was the rare kind of game that could make the virgin Mary cry.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'm nearing the halfway point of the game, and have gotten nearly all of the awards available so far. As much as I wanted to love this game and to welcome it into that place in my heart that Puzzle Quest owns, this game just doesn't fill that void.

We've all heard the phrase "tacked-on," in gaming. That motion controls were tacked on to this Wii game, that touch screen controls or mic input were tacked on to this DS game -- well, certainly, a storyline has been tacked on to Gyromancer. Honestly, the game would be exactly the same without a storyline, in that nothing in the storyline appears to impact the game beyond extremely marginal differences.

This game will never be anything more than Puzzle Quest's younger brother.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I think I'm nearing the halfway point of the game, and have gotten nearly all of the awards available so far. As much as I wanted to love this game and to welcome it into that place in my heart that Puzzle Quest owns, this game just doesn't fill that void.

We've all heard the phrase "tacked-on," in gaming. That motion controls were tacked on to this Wii game, that touch screen controls or mic input were tacked on to this DS game -- well, certainly, a storyline has been tacked on to Gyromancer. Honestly, the game would be exactly the same without a storyline, in that nothing in the storyline appears to impact the game beyond extremely marginal differences.

This game will never be anything more than Puzzle Quest's younger brother.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I was going to buy it, but I think I have to wait for a sale at this point. Puzzle Quest was awesome, PQ2 has been announced and I can't get into this like I wanted to. :(

Thanks for the update on it, utopian. I think I'll wait for it to go on sale at some point, especially with PQ: Galactrix to be finished up and PQ2 on the way in a few months.

main problem is that once you hit the 7th stage, the force you to seriously level grind to even have a chance. It's like in the middle of development, they realized that they really needed to pad the game to make it longer. And with the experience that the battles give you, your stuck going through level 6 repeatedly. Not the best $15 I've spent but then again, I always tend to get that feeling with games on Live

[quote name='shrike4242']Thanks for the update on it, utopian. I think I'll wait for it to go on sale at some point, especially with PQ: Galactrix to be finished up and PQ2 on the way in a few months.[/QUOTE]

:wave:

Glad to help.

[quote name='fart_bubble']Not the best $15 I've spent but then again, I always tend to get that feeling with games on Live[/QUOTE]

Oh, and there's no way I'm getting the downloadable content. The game just seems to drag, and there's no way I'm going to buy more to add to this effect.

I started playing this game again last night, and it's still fairly dull. It's relaxing enough, as it's rare that battles are very stressful, so it's really not much more than playing a few rounds of Bejeweled Twist.

Makes me really hope Puzzle Quest 2 is everything we wanted Gyromancer and Puzzle Quest Galactrix to be.

I read PC Gamer's review that they had in one of their recent issues, man really, and they said the game was decent. They did say the story is leave it and forget it but the gameplay made up for it. I guess it really depends on if you like playing Bejeweled Twist. I just remember how meh the demo felt all those months ago when I tried it. On a semi related note I beat Lord Bane in PQ just the other day like after 8 tries!

[quote name='Spybreak8']On a semi related note I beat Lord Bane in PQ just the other day like after 8 tries![/QUOTE]

I must have tried to beat him 30-40 times before I just gave up. I couldn't believe I came all the way to the end only to be unable to beat the final boss.

Congrats to you.

So has anyone else picked this up due to the sale? It's tempting me and I might give it a go since I seem to like gem matching games so much (lol I have PQ, PQ2, Bejeweled 2, Bejeweled Twist, Jewel Quest and looking at this game now).

bread's done
Back