XBLA - Hexic 2 - 800pts - Free W/Korean Acct. 11/15-11/16 Only

LinkinPrime

CAGiversary!
Feedback
170 (100%)

Features

Building on the success of Hexic HD, Hexic™ 2 brings all-new pieces to the board and a new multiplayer mode, so you can compete with friends in your living room or over Xbox LIVE®.
The basic gameplay is straightforward, familiar, and addictive—just spin a trio of hexes to create a group of three or more matching colors, or build a formation of hexes to create more advanced pieces. Whether you want a relaxing puzzle break or a frantic race against the clock, Hexic 2 has you covered!
  • Acclaimed developer: Hexic 2 is another challenging puzzle hit from Alexey Pajitnov, the original creator of Tetris®.
  • New challenges: All-new special pieces, different formations, and modes keep Hexic 2 challenging even for the veteran Hexic player.
  • Multiplayer competition: Amp up the gaming excitement playing multiplayer on the same console or over Xbox LIVE (up to two players) in Battle Mode.
  • Easy to learn: The gameplay is straightforward, approachable, and highly addictive.
  • Stunning visuals: The game is rendered in full 3-D with stunning special effects such as reflections, glow, and spectacular highlights.
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/h/hexic2xboxlivearcade/default.htm

Achievements: http://www.xbox360achievements.org/achievements.php?gameID=290
Thanks Deadite76!

YES! The first one was a guilty pleasure, even if I never had the patience to achieve that Grand Poo-bah achievement. I love me a good puzzler.

-Dr. Ugly

Man, i was hoping this would be announced as a free game...or at least something since its E3. Either way, first game was highly addicting, definitely getting this one too :)

I didn't like the first game. Will the second change my mind? 2 player is great, but I guess there's not enough info to tell just yet.

I was hoping for Super Puzzle Fighter this week. Oh well. I'm not spending $10 on a game that has just a little more to offer than something I got for free.

Yeah I'm also going to be saving my points. They should put out Super Puzzle Fighter/Streets of Rage 2 combo for next week.

Hexic is money, but I'm not so sure about the colors on this one.

I'll be buying it tonight, though.

This should be free or 400 points. Seriously, We pay $50 a year for what...a few themes, some gamerpics...oh, sorry, matchmaking...:|

[quote name='SynGamer']This should be free or 400 points. Seriously, We pay $50 a year for what...a few themes, some gamerpics...oh, sorry, matchmaking...:|[/QUOTE]

We did get ONE XBLA game free....Aegis Wing or whatever that one game was called created by Interns ;)

[quote name='doubledown']We did get ONE XBLA game free....Aegis Wing or whatever that one game was called created by Interns ;)[/quote]

Lol true...but that was a piece of crap. Free or not, Hexic 1 came free, Hexic 2 should as well.

I smell a dev theater segment on the Cagcast. I can just see it now:

guy 1: the first game was free on hard drives, so what should we charge for the sequal that's pretty much the same concept?

guy 2: 800 points...

guy 1: great idea, we'll make way more money that way than appealing to a mass auidence with a price of 400 points.

man, that's steep...and I mean, how much could they have improved what's already a pretty much perfect game? if the VS. mode is online and has some new mechanics that speeds up the game a bit, that could be good...but maybe not 800 pts. good.

on the other hand, I do have a ton of points from the CC deal :bouncy:

[quote name='SynGamer']Lol true...but that was a piece of crap. Free or not, Hexic 1 came free, Hexic 2 should as well.[/QUOTE]

Aegis Wing is a really good game. Don't knock it until you play it with some of your friends.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Aegis Wing is a really good game. Don't knock it until you play it with some of your friends.[/quote]

I did sadly, just didn't enjoy it. Hexic 1 on the other hand i love...but 800 points...hard to part with considering we got the first one free.

[quote name='doubledown']We did get ONE XBLA game free....Aegis Wing or whatever that one game was called created by Interns ;)[/QUOTE]

Hey now we also got that horrible camera game and Texas Hold 'Em for a limited time.

[quote name='Sporadic']Hey now we also got that horrible camera game and Texas Hold 'Em for a limited time.[/quote]
I would have loved to of gotten Texas Hold 'Em for free...still hoping i can :)

[quote name='Apossum']man, that's steep...and I mean, how much could they have improved what's already a pretty much perfect game? if the VS. mode is online and has some new mechanics that speeds up the game a bit, that could be good...but maybe not 800 pts. good.

on the other hand, I do have a ton of points from the CC deal :bouncy:[/quote]
From the newly updated game page:

Multiplayer competition: Amp up the gaming excitement playing multiplayer on the same console or over Xbox LIVE (up to two players) in Battle Mode.
Check OP for complete features.

I think I'll be picking this one up for sure.

The argument that this should be free, because the first one was, is a forehead slapper.

No Puzzle Fighter again this week, I feel like XBLA is out to personally torture me.

I didn't like the first Hexic but if the demo is good, I'll grab this one.

[quote name='Brak']The argument that this should be free, because the first one was, is a forehead slapper.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say free, but 400-600 would've been nice. there just isn't that much incentive to buy this one again.

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']No Puzzle Fighter again this week, I feel like XBLA is out to personally torture me.
[/QUOTE]
I feel the same way. I wonder if they're trying to get a simultaneous launch on XBLA and PSN. If they combo SOR2 and Puzzle fighter next week that will be great.

Worth every penny. Hexic is the best game since tetris, the sequal should be worth at least 800 pts.

And anyways, its not like anyone actually pays for their M$ points on here do they? All mine I got for free:|

[quote name='Apossum']

on the other hand, I do have a ton of points from the CC deal :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Ditto. And for that reason (alone) I think I will probably pick this up. I haven't bought anything but TMNT and Dig Dug since I got all those points. I need to use at least some of them, so I might as well get this. Of course 400 would be better (to think it would be free is a bit much). Considering the CC deal, this really is 400 points now ;).

And besides, it will make a nice birthday present for myself.

Those new colors and shapes really suck. I love Hexic, but $10 gives me pause. That price (compared to the original's free cost) is sure to negatively impact game sales. Microsoft will no doubt take away the lesson that we hate puzzle games.

Already played the full version of this (360 dev kit) and I have to say its amazingly better than the first one. I have Street Fighter Puzzle HD on my Dev kit also but I have been playing the SHIT out of this game. (hexic II)

I did in fact enjoy Aegis Wing, it's spectacular if you have a group of Gradius players who don't fly into the asteroids all the freaking time. But after a few run throughs and getting all but one achievement, I was done with it.

I will not be getting Hexic 2. Hexic 1 is a once-a-month or less distraction for me, and free was the right price for it.

800 points is the standard price point for games that aren't ports. Why not try it first?

TeamXbox has a review up. 8.7 OXM gave it an 8.5

From reading the review, it sounds like it will be a lot easier than the original game to make special pieces and use them.

[quote name='radjago']And it's up.[/QUOTE]

Well, damn, I'm supposed to be working tonight but I may just get this instead... :lol:

[quote name='io']Ditto. And for that reason (alone) I think I will probably pick this up. I haven't bought anything but TMNT and Dig Dug since I got all those points. I need to use at least some of them, so I might as well get this. Of course 400 would be better (to think it would be free is a bit much). Considering the CC deal, this really is 400 points now ;).

And besides, it will make a nice birthday present for myself.[/QUOTE]

Happy birthday io!!! :applause:

I'm a little disappointed with Hexic 2 so far. It doesn't seem nearly as polished as the first one.
The visuals were not improved IMO...in fact now they are so busy they kind of hurt my eyes...

There are some things I like about it though...like the battle mode. I might pick it up eventually.

[quote name='porieux']Happy birthday io!!! :applause:

I'm a little disappointed with Hexic 2 so far. It doesn't seem nearly as polished as the first one.
The visuals were not improved IMO...in fact now they are so busy they kind of hurt my eyes...

There are some things I like about it though...like the battle mode. I might pick it up eventually.[/QUOTE]

Thanks - my birthday isn't till tomorrow though... And I'm at the age where the less said about it the better (though this isn't a big milestone... yet... but I am close).

I got Hexic 2. The visuals are a little hard on the eyes, and I, too, like them on the original a bit better. Just wait till you advance some levels and deal with additional colored tiles. I had a hard time telling them apart with the new pastel-like palette. But overall it is a decent game. There are some new dynamics in there with the creation of the 5-in-a-row pieces (which become emeralds). These new pieces then flip just the 2 tiles they are pointing at. I came close to making a ruby (by making a flower of stars). I'll be as far as I was on the original game from ever making a black pearl though. And then winning the Marathon mode by making a cluster of black pearls - yeah, right...

For a short time my Marathon score was ranked #96! Whoo-hoo! I'm sure by morning it will be much further down.

Then I tried battle mode and it took me a few tries to figure out how it works. I finally beat the computer right before signing off. I was trying to get the achievement for getting full charges for each weapon, but either the computer or I would win before I was able to do that. This one might be difficult, though it looks like you can do it in local play so you could cheat with a non-playing second person I suppose.

Anyway, I'm glad I got it. I had over 4000 points sitting in my account and I have yet to redeem any of my CC points :lol:. So it's no big deal to splurge on a few games here and there.

IGN review:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/813/813143p1.html

Not a great score and I agree with parts of it (the 800 points thing being bad, mostly). However, the guy writing this is an absolute moron if he thinks the game is too complicated for casual play. I played for an hour last night and got the hang of the new meters and the new pieces, etc within that time. Yes, mastering those things may be a bit difficult, but c'mon, that adds depth to the game. And the part about how "waiting" for the right meter to come active adds an element of waiting that shouldn't be in a puzzle game - WTF?? You don't sit there and do nothing, you continue to string together clusters as fast as possible and just keep an eye on which weapon becomes active next.

Tried the trial...if you don't have HDTV, then don't even bother. And sadly, i don't have HDTV. Everything just kind of meshed together...

[quote name='SynGamer']Tried the trial...if you don't have HDTV, then don't even bother. And sadly, i don't have HDTV. Everything just kind of meshed together...[/quote]

That's the one thing that bothers me. I like the new pastels, but the damn play-area is so small. There should really be an option to enlarge it.

bread's done
Back