XBLA - King of Fighters 98 Ultimate Match - 800pts - 7/1

SAB-CA

CAGiversary!
bannerdefault.jpg

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/k/kingoffighters98umxboxlivearcade/
7/1/08 release confirmed, 800 pts, as stated on Xbox.com! Even cheaper than PS2 release!

Achievement List: http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/king-of-fighters-98-ultimate-match/achievements/
[quote name='"Xbox.Com Splash Page"']

The King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Match comes to Xbox LIVE® Arcade! The KOF '98 fighting game has fascinated game fans all over the world, and now it's powered up and ready to be on Xbox LIVE Arcade. Additional characters have been added from the King of Fighters universe, and new battle systems and moves have been implemented. Extend the fight to opponents all over the world. Face off against others to prove who is the real King of Fighters. Use Practice Mode to learn, Challenge Mode to improve your skills, then go to battle to show what you've got!

• The best of arcade fighting action: The Japanese arcade game comes to full life on Xbox LIVE Arcade, featuring the best of 3-on-3 2-D fighting action.
  • More characters: Ultimate Match includes more characters than the original King of Fighters '98, incorporating some of gamers' favorite characters from previous King of Fighters games.
[/quote]

For a List of Changes in Ultimate Match, over original 98, Click:
[quote name='"http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/935218/52814"']

ABOUT KOF'98UM

KOF'98 Ultimate Match is a 10th year anniversary edition of KOF'98, which is arguably one of the most popular, if not the most popular KOF version. Some changes to the game are:

• Balance tweaks all round to most characters to some degree. Some characters get new moves, some have their attack animations and properties changed.

• A new character select screen and new pre-fight portraits for the returning and EX characters.

• A new custom mode on top of Advanced and Extra Mode known as Ultimate Mode.

• Some changes to both Extra and Advanced modes.

• Kasumi Todoh, Eiji Kisaragi, Geese Howard, Wolfgang Krauser and Mr. Big join the cast of playable arcade characters. Riot of the Blood Iori and Leona are available as sub-bosses, and Goenitz and Orochi return to round out the final bosses cast. This means every playable character from KOF'94 till '98 return in 98UM.

• EX versions of Blue Mary, Geese, King and Ryuji Yamazaki are added to the cast. These are based somewhat off their Real Bout and Art of Fighting versions.

• New special introductions for certain match-ups, such as Terry versus Geese.

• All stages from KOF 98 were redone in partial 3D.

• Some stages from previous KOF and RBFF games were re-added or remade for 98UM, together with several new stages. The graphics are not interlaced anymore.

• The theme music for the the returning characters have also been re-added into the game. In the PS2 version, you can choose between the original arcade tracks, or the new PS2-exclusive arranged tracks.

• The '98 Advanced Mode system that determined how stocks were transferred is removed. Now all characters will always transfer stock to their teammates. This goes for Extra and Ultimate modes too.
[/quote]
* Note that some features might be changed for the XBLA release. It already appears that all secret characters are unlocked on XBLA release, compared to the PS2 version. However, according to screenshots on the official splash page, this version will still allow you to play Original 98, via "Neo Geo Mode". No idea if you can play that mode online, though.
I play this constantly on PS2 myself, so I'm going to love having it on XBLA! We can hope the netcode for this is better than Garou, but even if not, this game should be great fun to play with good pings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goL_XokR_Tk

Last edited by a moderator:
Shaping up to be a fun week for fighter fans with this and BlazBlue coming out. And at 800 MS Points, I'm certainly pulling the trigger.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Anyone know what the achievements look like for this?[/QUOTE]

Nearly identical to Garou, well except the online ones are harder/longer.

There's one for winning 10 online matches in a row, 100 matches total...and the typical offline ones. Beat arcade mode without losing, get a perfect round, etc. A few of them look to be hard, and none of them are really very clever.

What I wanna know is, how's the online? Is it gonna be the same as Garou was, as in fairly poor? Still worth the 10 bones to have an offline/local MP version in my opinion, but it'd be nice if the online was better.

[quote name='Megaten']

What I wanna know is, how's the online? Is it gonna be the same as Garou was, as in fairly poor? Still worth the 10 bones to have an offline/local MP version in my opinion, but it'd be nice if the online was better.[/QUOTE]

Ditto! anybody got this yet that can comment on the online portion?

[quote name='XxSmityxX']Ditto! anybody got this yet that can comment on the online portion?[/QUOTE]

Okay, so I've been playing the crap out of the online today, and I'll say it's infinitely better than Mark of the Wolves. Saw some people on NeoGaf saying it was a tad worse than Street Fighter II HD and SF IV, but honestly I've had less lag playing this than in SF II HD personally. Gotta say this renewed my hope for KOF XII's online, cause this seems to be fine.

Can't wait to compare it to BlazBlue's netcode though ^.^

Someone made a mistake on the win quotes. They are all in Japanese.
I've heard mixed reports on the online, some people say worst then Garaou. I say it still depends on your internet connection.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Someone made a mistake on the win quotes. They are all in Japanese.
I've heard mixed reports on the online, some people say worst then Garaou. I say it still depends on your internet connection.[/QUOTE]

Yea, it seems the current majority over on the other forums is that the game's as bad as Garou. I flat out haven't had any problems whatsoever, and I haven't hosted a single game out of the ~100 I've played so far. So who knows. Maybe it's YMMV like Garou and I've just had the largest streak of good luck ever.

But, with never hosting, and my down speed only being 1.5mb, I just can't see how it could possibly be considered as bad as Garou. That game had 3+ seconds of lag at times for me...this is smooth as butter.

I'm really impressed with this game so far. There's such so much content and the music is great. Haven't played online though.

[quote name='eastx']I'm really impressed with this game so far. There's such so much content and the music is great. Haven't played online though.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I love the music in this one so much. I'm basically done with all the challenges and unlocks - I'm just trying to get Orochi Leona to appear in the arcade mode to unlock her. Keep getting Orochi Iori and Rugal :(

I love this game but online for me has been horrible. I have no problems with HDR or SF4, but KOF98UM lags even during the character select screen when I play online.

In general, I don't think that many people are playing it so maybe that's why it's so hard to find a lag free match?

bread's done
Back