XBLA - Lode Runner - 800 poi...oh wait, Back to 1200 points..what...

Just tried the demo and honestly I'm unsure if I'd even pay 800. Definitely not worth 1200, at least from the demo, considering I won't be playing multiplayer anytime soon nor do I have any interest in level making. One factor is that the camera is so far zoomed out on my SDTV that everything seems small...

They can charge what they wish for this stuff, but games like this, and the R-type remake are not worth 1200 pts. They won't be getting my money at this price.

[quote name='Spades22']Just tried the demo and honestly I'm unsure if I'd even pay 800. Definitely not worth 1200, at least from the demo, considering I won't be playing multiplayer anytime soon nor do I have any interest in level making. One factor is that the camera is so far zoomed out on my SDTV that everything seems small...[/quote]

What size SDTV do you have? I only have SD as well, and that's never been a problem for me with this game... even the old Arcade games had small sprites for Lode Runner, so there's nothing displayed here in 3D that's really any worse than the old pixel games.

Mine is something like... 29 inches or so, so I suppose I can see where you'd have a prob, if your screen was 17 or below.

Oh, and even for those with no interest in level making... There's the Journey (100+ stages), the puzzle mode (26 or so stages?) and Hang On mode (8 stages I think, think of it as a Survival mode)... It's got a pretty hefty amount of content, without even considering the new stages and puzzles of multiplayer. I haven't been able to get better than a bronze in the first Hang On stage... -_-; Each one has Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum awards to aim for.

Oh, and even if you DON'T want to make stages, you can download other peoples... and stages can be made for a variety of modes, so if this game gets a community of any type, there should be quite a few stages up, for you to play through.

Played a little more and it wasn't actually that bad...and theres 220 levels too xD. The idea of dishing out 1200 points when I could have got it for 800 just bugs me though...and for that reason I won't be buying it. I would have probably paid 1200 had it not been for the error, but now its just lame. Either I'll wait for a price drop or split it with a friend in the future.

The game is quite fun though...to the poster above, you got it for 800 points though :D. Even if it is worth 1200, I'm reluctant to pay due to the error.

Damn if it hadn't been for that first level annoying the crap out of me I would have bought at 800...now I don't even want to try the demo again in case I regret not buying it.

Ha, well I wouldn't doubt it if you do. At first it seemed boring but as I went on it was pretty fun. The challenges and survival mode were pretty good too. Can't blame ya though, at first it seemed pretty lousy.

[quote name='Danimal']Wow, that sucks that they raised it to 1200. I was lucky enough to see it and buy it before they changed the price, but if I hadn't, there's no way in hell I'd buy it at 1200 now.

EDIT: That's weird- the little Lode Runner symbol isn't showing up on the gamercard in my sig for some reason. Got me nervous that they'd somehow deleted it from my account for not paying the full 1200. It's still there, though.[/quote]

That happens on my dashboard sometimes. The boxart doesn't show up at all for like a day or two, then it magically comes back.

[quote name='Spades22']The game is quite fun though...to the poster above, you got it for 800 points though :D. Even if it is worth 1200, I'm reluctant to pay due to the error.[/quote]

Yeah, when I saw it for 800, I was thinking "Error, Or MS did something smart! GET BEFORE IT CHANGES/THEY GET STUPID AGAIN!"

Unfortunately, "Stupid Again" came, and I thought it sucked much to see that later in the day -_-;

I got a 4000 point card, just to be prepared for Lode Runner and Virtual On, though, so I was prepared to pay the full price. If MSoft kept the price at 800 for others, I was gonna possibly do a "Good business sense, congrats, all!" purchase of the premium Theme for the game... but now that they "corrected" the price so poorly, I don't think I'll do that just yet.:cool:

So I understand how you feel, it makes a "this isn't right!" kinda reservation with the product, which isn't fair to the game, or developers. But it's entirely understandable.

I really wish they'd publically address situations like this, in a larger way than having Major Nelson post a single sentence on his blog. I think it's low brow, and not upfront to the community, and not even kind to the companies who MAKE these games... (but still not as bad as SONY KILLING WORKING DESIGNS... -ahem- but that's a discussion for another day...)

Games like this take me SO long to beat, with on and off play (Heck, I just beat Dishwasher today... CHAINSAW MAKES THE GAME TOO EASY!), so when I look back on weeks of gameplay fun, I never EVER feel regretful of the games I buy. In an odd way, it'll take me longer to beat THIS than Bionic Commando... :drool: Especially with Virtual On Coming out next week... (VOOT! VOOT!)

I jumped on this when I saw it was 800. Didn't even try the demo because I thought it might be a price mistake. I quite like it based on my limited playtime. It's a little harder than I remember with those enemies, but it's still much more playable than N+. I like that they have those alternate game modes Puzzle and that Pac Man like survival mode-- I can't recall another game where they include other gameplay modes so different it's like you're playing different games. Honestly, this is a very well done game and feels like a 1200 point title. Comparing this to overpriced games like R-Type and Death Tank is rediculous. Has anyone tried the online co-op? I haven't tried that yet and was wondering if it was fun.

edit: I notice that both Lode Runner and Flock have disappeared from my GamerCard. I wonder what's up with that -- they were there yesterday.

bread's done
Back