XBLA - Metal Slug XX is coming 5/19 for 1200 points

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Metal Slug XX is an enhanced version of Metal Slug 7 that adds cooperative multiplayer (local or online).
It will contain both the standard Arcade mode with multiple difficulties and Mission Mode. In Mission mode, players have to complete 70 specific objectives (mostly on arcade mode stages). You can also chat up Cynthia, the Mission mode officer.
Metal Slug XX has 6 selectable characters (all with unique abilities such as being better with the handgun or vehicles), including Ralph and Clark from Ikari Warriors/King of Fighters.

As usual, 1200 points is steep for a downloadable game. But remember Metal Slug XX was also a retail title, much like Puzzle Quest, which launched on XBLA for the game price. Also, Metal Slug 3 on XBLA is 800 points, but it has way less content than XX.

Details

image102.png

image104.png

IGN review

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG. Its finally coming. I've waited on this forever. I did have 1200 points and now I only have 800 points left. I didn't know It was coming out that soon. I'll have to buy some just for this.

AWESOME! I haven't played Metal Slug in years! I spent a lot of time trying to get an emulator and rom for it but it never worked!

[quote name='OnyxPrimal']I boycot this 1200 points bullshit. Waiting for a sale now, damn it.[/QUOTE]

This, I think that's why they've started pricing everything at 1200 point, cos when the games are on sale for 800 it seems like a deal.

Unsure if it's worth it or not, but seeing how I have Metal Slug Anthology for the Wii, I have enough Metal Slug to last me for a while I think.

Now I need to find a XBL 4k points deal xD

Love Metal Slug. Wish the achievements weren't so impossible though. Doesn't help that I suck at these type of games. Oh well.

The windowed bullshit is more tolerable on the PSP since the resolution difference between the PSP and DS is much smaller than the DS and Xbox 360. It needs to be remade in HD if they want $15 for it.

have to agree with the crowd on this one. 15 is just too much money for a lot of these arcade games. I'd be all over this and rocket knight for 10 bucks, but will pass for 15.

MS3 on xbla has online play (it's not very good though).

As the OP mentioned, this was a retail release. I'd rather pay $10 but an extra $5 isn't keeping me away.

[quote name='DickTowel']Can I only play Metal Slug via a Neo Geo emulator?[/QUOTE]

Do you mean the original? Metal Slug 3 is up on xbox live arcade. Metal slug xx is on psp I think, and maybe DS?

Also, Metal Slug 1-6 are released on the Metal Slug Anthology for wii, psp and ps2

I'm curious to see how a DS game looks scaled up to play on the 360.

I'm not 1,200 points curious though. I'll just play this on the DS again if I get the itch.

[quote name='UjnHunter']400 MS Points too much. I already own this on the PSP. I'd have bought this for 800 MS Points...[/QUOTE]

That's one reason I don't care to give 1200 points for it. I don't have a psp. Its my only option,but it would be nice if it was 800 points instead.

And they did the same thing with Sam Shodown. No one bought it because it was 800 pts, yet on MS's site a few days prior it said 400 pts.

Boo SNK. BOO!

I'm not sure why everyone is balking at the $15 price tag. Obviously $10 would be nice but this games still retails on the PSP for $20 and MS7 launched at $20 as well. Basically you're getting a better version of a great looking game for $5 less.

I'm not really arguing for the somewhat annoying trend of 1200 point games, but I don't think it should be the dealbreaker for this specific one.

[quote name='Ginsburger']I'm not sure why everyone is balking at the $15 price tag. Obviously $10 would be nice but this games still retails on the PSP for $20 and MS7 launched at $20 as well. Basically you're getting a better version of a great looking game for $5 less.

I'm not really arguing for the somewhat annoying trend of 1200 point games, but I don't think it should be the dealbreaker for this specific one.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

We're actually getting a deal getting it on the XBLA. I wouldn't mind if it was $10, but $15 is still cheaper than the portables and you can play it on the big screen to boot. I bought it for $20 on the PSP, and don't regret it at all, $15 is a steal if you enjoy Metal Slug. Chances are it's not $10 because they don't want to completely erode the retail releases, so 360 only gets a tiny discount (but still a discount). In this case it's understandable why they went with 1200.

For games like Rocket Knight, where there is no precedent for price... not so much.

[quote name='Ginsburger']I'm not sure why everyone is balking at the $15 price tag. Obviously $10 would be nice but this games still retails on the PSP for $20 and MS7 launched at $20 as well. Basically you're getting a better version of a great looking game for $5 less.

I'm not really arguing for the somewhat annoying trend of 1200 point games, but I don't think it should be the dealbreaker for this specific one.[/QUOTE]
The PSP version wasn't worth $20 and this being a straight port with only one upgrade (online co-op) doesn't make it worth $15 either.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The PSP version wasn't worth $20 and this being a straight port with only one upgrade (online co-op) doesn't make it worth $15 either.[/QUOTE]

Well, if you don't like Metal Slug, no reason to go stomping around about it. They charged $20 for the PSP game because it's a retail game and they can't just give it away. Are you going to argue that they just shouldn't have released it? That's bad thinking.

While you make valid points and I agree with what you say, I look at it in the sense that (to me) the metal slug games are more or less all the same. Doesn't mean they're bad because I enjoy them, but I have 6 or so of them already from a collection set, I really don't need to buy a 7th (imo). Plus, with no job now, I feel I should save my points for...I don't want to say better, but other experiences.

[quote name='eastx']Well, if you don't like Metal Slug, no reason to go stomping around about it. They charged $20 for the PSP game because it's a retail game and they can't just give it away. Are you going to argue that they just shouldn't have released it? That's bad thinking.[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure where you got the idea that I don't like Metal Slug. I love the series and have played through each of the games, especially with the Anthology set for the Wii. I'm just not willing to pay more than $10 for a specific entry unless there's some huge addition that adds a lot more replay value.

Glad you don't hate it, Tanuki. XX actually does have more replay value than all past entries thanks to its Mission Mode... Maybe it'll go on sale eventually (though I don't think 3 on XBLA ever has).

The $15 price point for these arcade games is ridiculous and is setting a bad precedent. Games like this and Rocket Knight should cost no more than $10.

Games like Battlefield, Castle Crashers, Shadow Complex, and HD Remix are the only $15 arcade games that I think are worth that much.

[quote name='JStryke']While you make valid points and I agree with what you say, I look at it in the sense that (to me) the metal slug games are more or less all the same. Doesn't mean they're bad because I enjoy them, but I have 6 or so of them already from a collection set, I really don't need to buy a 7th (imo). Plus, with no job now, I feel I should save my points for...I don't want to say better, but other experiences.[/QUOTE]

I think this is actually a pretty valid argument and way better said than ZOMG I h8 M$ 4 CHARGING 1200 PTS!!

I highly doubt that this release will bring anything revolutionary to the table but as a long-time lover of metal slug this purchase is a no brainer to me. It probably has little value to the average gamer which kinda justifies the $15 price point. The sales on this release will probably be relatively small and I'm happy to lay down an extra $5 if it means there might be some more old-school metal slug action in the future.

If this ever drops to $10 I expect all you haters to follow your word and pick it up!

anyone know how to save the POWs exactly... i get them free from being tied up, they drop weapons.. then run away... and at the end of the level it says i saved 0

$15 is steep for me and that's because I buy alot of xbla games. If they had made it more interesting by adding gamerpics, avatar awards or some other type of reward it might of passed for $15 since those things would be exclusive to the game. I don't see any big deals on microsoft points so don't see how 1200 point games keep getting that price. I'll try it a few more times, but am still unsure on the purchase. I just played ms3 online with a friend and it was fun but we went through all 5 levels in an hour and a half on normal.

[quote name='dkreegz515']anyone know how to save the POWs exactly... i get them free from being tied up, they drop weapons.. then run away... and at the end of the level it says i saved 0[/QUOTE]

Did you use a continue? Obviously haven't played it, but if you used a continue on the older games, it resets your POW status iirc.

Marketplace cards are on sale at Amazon for $17.33 right now (it was $16.54 a few days ago).

And yes, if you continue, you lose the POWs. Keeping the POWs in levels 1 & 2 isn't too bad, but after that, good luck. Thankfully Mission Mode lets you practice on the individual levels.

Two tips: the character who gets extra life while riding in Metal Slugs makes some levels much easier. The KOF dude who can take 2 hits can make things easier too, provided the Metal Slug portion of the level doesn't kill him.

And why do you say that? XX is one of the best Metal Slugs to date, and certainly has the most content and features.

I'd bite at 800 without a second thought despite owning MS 7 on DS. I'm not biting simply because the 1200 standard is unacceptable. I'd rather toss in another $5 and get the PSP version.

[quote name='Halo05']I'd bite at 800 without a second thought despite owning MS 7 on DS. I'm not biting simply because the 1200 standard is unacceptable. I'd rather toss in another $5 and get the PSP version.[/QUOTE]

This. I'd rather pay the extra for the physical copy. At 800 I would have picked it up and not even thought twice.

IGN review Score: 6.5

The dude does not even mention Mission Mode, which is seriously like half the game. He also calls XX a port of Metal Slug 7 for DS, whereas it's actually an enhanced port. The review was obviously quick and dirty.

[quote name='eastx']IGN review Score: 6.5

The dude does not even mention Mission Mode, which is seriously like half the game. He also calls XX a port of Metal Slug 7 for DS, whereas it's actually an enhanced port. The review was obviously quick and dirty.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. The reviews so far seem way off base. I feel like people are acting as though they expect some epic 10 hour platformer. Since when has that been the case? It's a good port of an entertaining game. Plus it's about the same price as a movie and popcorn so as long as I play it for 2+ hours I'm happy.

Shoot, I just saw this thread, and I was a little tempted. Then I realized I have a bunch of other shmups I oughta master first. If my queue weren't so long, I'd jump on this even at 1200 points.

As for the reviews... I don't think the average reviewer "gets" shmups, and so the reviews usually aren't so good.

bread's done
Back