XBLA - Poker Smash - 800pts - DLC: Enviroments and Puzzle Pack Up Now 100pts ea.

Wow this is a great game. It's just too bad that I already have a mountain of games to play. Maybe if it goes on sale or they release some free DLC for it I will pull the trigger, but for now I'll hold off.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Wow...I tried to take it online and I suck...I had like 20K and the other 2 players had 70K...WTF am I doing wrong!?

Its gotta be my way of thinking...I keep trying to match colors and not creating hands, though how they get crazy chains is beyond me, I can't get anything higher than 4 and that was one lucky time. Still great game though :)[/QUOTE]

The way I beat my opponent (to get the achievement of course) was to hit about 3 five-in-a-rows in a row, it KOed him, even though I was down 70k-30k

Awesome awesome game. I played the trial for a few minutes and then immediately bought it. I'm not the best at it right now, but I'll get better :p.

I tried the demo and I did like it, but I really struggle to think of Poker hands in two dimensions, at the begining I kept trying to put pairs together and wondered why it wasn't working #-o

I think I'll put this in my "Keep in mind for a boring day" pile. I've got a lot of other stuff to play at the mo.

I was able to download the demo last night, and really liked what I played. The analog sticks will take some getting used to, but I'll buy the full version once my internet decides to work properly (it blinks off and on every 30 seconds or so).

Glad to see this has gotten some good response. I'm going to pick it up I think to tide me over to some other things. I love me some puzzlers.

Tried the demo last night and I really enjoyed it! For those who haven't played it yet - basically, it's Puzzle League/Tetris Attack, but you have a few extra options for destroying blocks.

The card values (10 through Ace) are color-coded, so you could just eyeball the colors and approach the gameplay as if it were Tetris Attack. Then you can ease your way into the additional options you have - you can line up five cards in a single suit (in which case the colors don't need to match), or Five-of-a-kind in a single suit for HUGE points, or you can line up five VALUES in sequence. Plus you've got those bombs to work with, and the sweet slow-motion option. Another nice element is those "challenges" that they throw out in the middle of a match.

Pretty sure I'm gonna drop the points for this. Definitely try out the demo if you haven't!

I'm really enjoying this as well. I'm no good at it yet, but it sure is a lot of fun. I had 800 points refunded that I was planning to spend on Rez, but this demo impressed me more, so I got this game instead.

Anyone have any tips on getting the 5x+ combos? I've watched some of the top vidoes, and still can't get my board set up well enough to get past a 4x.

[quote name='lordwow']The way I beat my opponent (to get the achievement of course) was to hit about 3 five-in-a-rows in a row, it KOed him, even though I was down 70k-30k[/quote]

I'll have to try that.

Also, what does it mean when you're the dealer or just a player...what changes?

I got the achievement where you get all possible hands! The royal flush was actually my first one :) \\:D/

Update: I just downloaded the "Poker Smash Theme" .. Woah. It's really nice. I'm surprised. I was like "OMG, I

I like Tetris Attack, but I have no idea how poker is played so hopefully it doesn't require any poker knowledge. Downloading the demo is the first thing I'm gonna do tonight. :)

The game is indeed awesome, but it's really lame there's only 1 online achievement (win 1 game, wtf is that?) Other than that, I can see myself wasting lots of time with this, especially once more of my friends get it.

[quote name='nuttyturnip']The game is indeed awesome, but it's really lame there's only 1 online achievement (win 1 game, wtf is that?) Other than that, I can see myself wasting lots of time with this, especially once more of my friends get it.[/QUOTE]

The difficulty of the single player ones make up for it :)

This game is really fun, but I still suck at it....I guess I just have to get used to it a bit more. I like the fact they give you the option to buy/unlock gamerpics.

[quote name='Dezuria']I like Tetris Attack, but I have no idea how poker is played so hopefully it doesn't require any poker knowledge. Downloading the demo is the first thing I'm gonna do tonight. :)[/QUOTE]You'll be fine. The card values are all color-coded, so getting the "3/4/5 of a kind" hands will feel just like you're playing Tetris Attack.

The more advanced poker hands just give you additional methods for eliminating blocks... you'll probably get them by accident a few times. You can start implementing them into your strategy when you're ready!

My only complaint is that it's sometimes difficult to tell the difference between Clubs and Spades on my SDTV, especially up near the top. But it's not too bad since they "pulse" every few seconds.

[quote name='Dezuria']I like Tetris Attack, but I have no idea how poker is played so hopefully it doesn't require any poker knowledge. Downloading the demo is the first thing I'm gonna do tonight. :)[/QUOTE]

Let me help you out.
Besides the 3, 4 and 5 of a kind which are really easy to get. Here's what else you can get.

Full House: Three of a Kind + 2 of a kind. Example. In a horizontal row you can get Ace, Ace, Ace, King, King. That's a full house.

Straight: Ace, King, Queen, Jack, 10 in that order OR 10, Jack, Queen, King, Ace in THAT order

Flush: 5 or more of the same suits lined up. It doesn't matter what cards are together, as long as you have a row of at LEAST 5 of the same suit.
Example: Heart, Heart, Heart, Heart, Heart. :)

Then there's also "6 Flush" "7 Flush" "8 Flush" "9 Flush". This is all the same thing, but with 6, 7, 8 or 9 cards.

Now the almost insane possible hand is the straight flush (in poker terms this is the royal flush). You need a STRAIGHT that's ALSO a FLUSH.

Example: 10 of Hearts, Jack of Hearts, Queen of Hearts, King of Hearts, Ace of Hearts. Or backwards. This is worth 15,000 points \\:D/

That's all you need to know. You also need to get 1 of each in ONE game to get an achievement. I hope that helped you out.

[quote name='lordwow']My only complaint is that it's sometimes difficult to tell the difference between Clubs and Spades on my SDTV, especially up near the top. But it's not too bad since they "pulse" every few seconds.[/QUOTE]

QFT. I'm so excietd I'm getting an HDTV next week!!

I totally forgot about the straight flush.

Do you need the 6-9 Flushes for the achievement? I got up to a 7 flush I think.

Yes you do. :whistle2:(

What I did was aim for straight flush FIRST while everything is still moving slow. Then try for a 9 flush, 8 flush, etc.

Straight flush does not count as a straight.. LOL. I had sworn I got everything until I realized I never got a straight. I got it, and achievement unlocked :D

If you can get the Straight Flush and 9 Flush early on.. you should be in good shape for the achievement.

I also just got the restraint achievement last night. The.. only use 3 of a kind to get to speed level 7. That was a BITCH!! Only because sometimes cards that are rising will end up being a four of a kind, a flush, a straight, etc.

Damn it I need one of these freebie sites to get me some more points asap. I really like this game and I haven't picked up Rez yet either. My friends burnt up my last few points on RB's Oasis pack.

[quote name='lilboo']I also just got the restraint achievement last night. The.. only use 3 of a kind to get to speed level 7. That was a BITCH!! Only because sometimes cards that are rising will end up being a four of a kind, a flush, a straight, etc.[/quote]

It's always been the full house for me, I get that set a bunch of times on accident.

Wow, this game came out of nowhere for me and I'm really enjoying it...VERY tough to stop playing, as well.

800pts well spent, IMO. :)

Hooray! I got the 5x chain achievement!

[quote name='mtxbass1']Can I move cards vertically? If so, how?[/QUOTE]

No, you can't.

hmmm... I wanted to save my points for the COD4 maps coming out eventually, but I might try out the demo and see if it grabs me.

Tried the demo last night and I really liked it. I'm conflicted though .. at $5 it's a must buy but for $10 I dont know. Plus I dont want to encourage MS to price more games at $10.

Well, I enjoy it but like most have stated they could have made it cheaper to buy since it really isn't that much to do in the game once you get use to playing it but try to beat your high score.

Is anyone having problem with this game? I've had it lock up on me deep into a single player game and before that during the 3 minute single player game the cards dealt never turned over and stayed black the whole time.

It's locked up on me once. I'm having trouble with puzzle 20. I watched the solution but I can't seem to get the queen and king to move to the right fast enough so that the other king doesn't drop.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']Is anyone having problem with this game? I've had it lock up on me deep into a single player game and before that during the 3 minute single player game the cards dealt never turned over and stayed black the whole time.[/quote]

I was just going to post about this issue too. The game has been locking up on me as well. Yes, I've encountered the Time mode glitch as well. This game needs a patch asap.

Man fuck this game :lol:

How are these crazy fucks getting shit like 84 chains? I can't even get passed 6.

This is what actually makes me mad with this game, and it's very valid IMO. There is no doubt that this a pretty great, addicting and solid game. Puzzle De Pon but with Poker? Good times!

HOWEVER.
XBL User "PutSumStankOnIt" (I am not 100% on this spelling, but he is the number one person in the game.. watch the video :shock: ) worked on this game. He was posting over in the Xbox forum, and people were asking him for tips/advice on how to get crazy chains. Basically he said to just practice.

NOW this is what made me mad. The reason he played and uploaded that video was to show everyone how the game should be played.

The problem I have with that, is that these videos are mostly combinations of 3 of a kind.. AKA matching 3 colors. They really do use much focus with the Poker hands. In a game like Planet Puzzle league you match the same colors for crazy chains.. but in this game it should be more focused on the poker hands. Really. I know you get more points for getting a good hand (Royal Flush is 15,000, compared to the 5 points you get for 3 of a kind).

If "that's how the game should be played" they should of just released some verson of puzzle de pon on XBL and not even included the poker theme.

That's really my only gripe about this game. I wonder if anyone agrees with more of if I'm talking out my ass.

[quote name='Maklershed']Tried the demo last night and I really liked it. I'm conflicted though .. at $5 it's a must buy but for $10 I dont know. Plus I dont want to encourage MS to price more games at $10.[/quote]

Honestly, I have no problem with $10 games as long as they're actually good and not something I'll put down after an hour. I've sunk a ton of time into Pac-Man C.E. and Poker Smash, among a couple others. I feel like both of those were a steal at $10. Sure, I'd love to see more $5 games, but as long as the product is of good quality and the fun lasts, I don't really have a problem spending a little extra. Honestly, I've spent $50-$60 on a game and had less fun with it than some of the Arcade titles.

[quote name='Immortal fWd']It's locked up on me once. I'm having trouble with puzzle 20. I watched the solution but I can't seem to get the queen and king to move to the right fast enough so that the other king doesn't drop.[/QUOTE]

Me either.

[quote name='BoSoxFan900']Honestly, I have no problem with $10 games as long as they're actually good and not something I'll put down after an hour. I've sunk a ton of time into Pac-Man C.E. and Poker Smash, among a couple others. I feel like both of those were a steal at $10. Sure, I'd love to see more $5 games, but as long as the product is of good quality and the fun lasts, I don't really have a problem spending a little extra. Honestly, I've spent $50-$60 on a game and had less fun with it than some of the Arcade titles.[/quote]

If it makes you feel any better I went an purchased this on Friday or Saturday, shortly after making that post about not paying $10 for xbla games. :lol:

I'm digging it. It's what I play when I'm not playing CoD4. Very addictive yet relaxing at the same time.

Well I got that x7 achievement last night.
I also got the collect 11 themes achievement.

Now all I need is x24 (LOL), score 1,000,000 points, and complete the puzzle mode. I can complete the puzzle mode, it's the other two I am worried about.. :whistle2:(

[quote name='lilboo']Man fuck this game :lol:

How are these crazy fucks getting shit like 84 chains? I can't even get passed 6.

This is what actually makes me mad with this game, and it's very valid IMO. There is no doubt that this a pretty great, addicting and solid game. Puzzle De Pon but with Poker? Good times!

HOWEVER.
XBL User "PutSumStankOnIt" (I am not 100% on this spelling, but he is the number one person in the game.. watch the video :shock: ) worked on this game. He was posting over in the Xbox forum, and people were asking him for tips/advice on how to get crazy chains. Basically he said to just practice.

NOW this is what made me mad. The reason he played and uploaded that video was to show everyone how the game should be played.

The problem I have with that, is that these videos are mostly combinations of 3 of a kind.. AKA matching 3 colors. They really do use much focus with the Poker hands. In a game like Planet Puzzle league you match the same colors for crazy chains.. but in this game it should be more focused on the poker hands. Really. I know you get more points for getting a good hand (Royal Flush is 15,000, compared to the 5 points you get for 3 of a kind).

If "that's how the game should be played" they should of just released some verson of puzzle de pon on XBL and not even included the poker theme.

That's really my only gripe about this game. I wonder if anyone agrees with more of if I'm talking out my ass.[/quote]

Do you have a link to that video? I need to see how to do chains. No matter how much pre-planning I put into it I can't do better than 3x. :cry:

[quote name='Maklershed']Do you have a link to that video? I need to see how to do chains. No matter how much pre-planning I put into it I can't do better than 3x. :cry:[/QUOTE]

The videos are in-game. You can download them from the leaderboards or something.

I just payed the demo last night and THIS GAME IS AWESOME. I have a ton of points so I'm probably picking this one up.

I was really expect some sort of lame poker rip off. Pleasently surprised.

bread's done
Back