XBLA - Puzzle Quest 2 - June 30 - 1200 points

I cruised over the Xbox forums, and I was pretty disappointed to see folks reporting they finished the game at 25 hours or less. One guy finished in 15 hours. As long and epic as the first game was, I was expecting a bit more. Granted, I'm really enjoying the experience, but I wanted it to last as long as the first PQ did.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I cruised over the Xbox forums, and I was pretty disappointed to see folks reporting they finished the game at 25 hours or less. One guy finished in 15 hours. As long and epic as the first game was, I was expecting a bit more. Granted, I'm really enjoying the experience, but I wanted it to last as long as the first PQ did.[/QUOTE]

I'll admit I never played the first one but 15-25 hours for a $15 game seems pretty good. I know plenty of games that are way less but cost the full retail disc price. And with the variety of classes you could give it another run through right?

I suppose you could likely finish it in that kind of time if you ignored the side quests and weren't a completist, but then the first PQ could be done relatively quickly if you did that as well. I think I've played for around 20 hours to this point and as I previously said I'm just nearing the end of the catacombs. I would guess there's probably not a ton after that but I may be wrong; there could yet be one more full 'level' to explore after that. :p Since there's no walkthroughs, etc., in GameFAQ's yet I can't really say definitively, but if nothing else I have a decent number of spells to unlock that I haven't had an opportunity to as of yet. ;)

I like how a big huge Orc will do enrage and create a bunch of red gems. Then I just use burning strike and turn all those red gems to purple haha. I love my Assassin so much. :D

This game reminds me of Dungeon Siege, I love that RPG atmosphere and setting. It would be nice to have a zoomed out version of the map, press a button on the controller to activate, they give you in the corner.

[quote name='Spybreak8']This game reminds me of Dungeon Siege, I love that RPG atmosphere and setting. It would be nice to have a zoomed out version of the map, press a button on the controller to activate, they give you in the corner.[/QUOTE]

You can press the RB to have a zoomed out version of a level, but that's the best we get.

Anything is better than Galactrix.

As for getting all 200, considering that I'm now about level 30 or so, I don't see how I can get the two achievements involving me winning or the opponent winning on our first turns. But then, I suppose it's totally random and could happen...

[quote name='Jessfest']You can press the RB to have a zoomed out version of a level, but that's the best we get.[/QUOTE]

Awesome, good to know.:applause:

Wow, I just can't get any Sapphires for my Sorcerer. While my warrior that is only like level 9 has ~5, I have not seen a single on on my Sorcerer, so I can't do any staff upgrades. :cry:

I wish there was a trade 2 of X for 1 of Y or something. Also, I hate how lots of class specific items come from the Rare boxes in the treasure mini-game, almost all of which are for classes that are not the one I am playing. If you could trade it wouldn't be an issue.

Got the OMGHAX achievement last night. Was battling a skeleton on the page where the gems are smaller and there are more on the board. Used one of the Strike attacks that change all gems of a certain color to purple, and bam, 8 in a row. Nice to get that achievement out of the way. Took me all the way to level 35 to get it.

It'll just require luck to get those two achievements that involve me or the opponent winning in the first turn, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
> winning on first turn

You could just start a new character. I got this literally on the first fight at the gates

> losing on first turn

I got this fighting the Ogre -> Skullbasher or something. His map is filled with skulls and he does huge damage. I just kept quitting out when he didn't kill me on his first turn.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Got the OMGHAX achievement last night. Was battling a skeleton on the page where the gems are smaller and there are more on the board. Used one of the Strike attacks that change all gems of a certain color to purple, and bam, 8 in a row. Nice to get that achievement out of the way. Took me all the way to level 35 to get it. [/QUOTE]

I've been really close to it a few times on my barbarian when I use the ability to change random gems to red gems. I just wait until I have enough mana in the 3 types to cast 3+ in a row of it and hope for the best. Since I started my sorcerer though, I haven't touched my warrior, so I haven't had any chances at it lately.

[quote name='nnthomas']> winning on first turn

You could just start a new character. I got this literally on the first fight at the gates[/QUOTE]

How did you manage to do that!? IIRC that fight only has skulls lined up in bunches of 3. I don't recall them having them lined up in a way to get 4 of a kinds enough to win the match on the first turn, but I guess I will check that out later.

I just got really lucky, I didnt have a set strategy in mind.

Look at my Gamertag if you want, it's the very first achievement I got.

Fought the final Greater Challenge today, or what I assume is the final one. So awesome when you get to him. I lost, but only by a hair. Wish the game had more stand-out moments like this one.

...and after putting in way too much time to do it (since I had to do a second play-through to get it), I now have 200/200 on this for getting the Gate Hacker achievement (bash everything where it's an option). On my first play-through with my assassin I lock-picked some door early on instead of bashing it so I missed that one.

My second playthrough with a sorcerer was becoming tedious to play as until I unlocked the mirror shield spell that reduces enemy defense to 0 (adding whatever its rating is to yours). Suddenly enemies with their absurdly high defense ratings wouldn't take 15 minutes apiece to finish off and the game was fun again. :p With my assassin I never really ran into this even though I didn't bother to use the assassin defense-reduction spell since I relied on my epic ancient wyvern poison to deal with such enemies, as defense is ignored in that case. :D

[quote name='Googer'] With my assassin I never really ran into this even though I didn't bother to use the assassin defense-reduction spell since I relied on my epic ancient wyvern poison to deal with such enemies, as defense is ignored in that case. :D[/QUOTE]

I believe the only two Poisons I've come across were Arachna and Manticore. I'd love a better one.

I don't remember if it's true of the manticore (mid-grade) poisons, but I know for sure that the wyvern poison items are Assassin-only. Just something to keep in mind for when you do come across one for purchase at Crye's or loot one. ;)

[quote name='Googer']I don't remember if it's true of the manticore (mid-grade) poisons, but I know for sure that the wyvern poison items are Assassin-only. Just something to keep in mind for when you do come across one for purchase at Crye's or loot one. ;)[/QUOTE]

I'll have to check the shops every time I go back to town. I think I got some other Poison early in the game, but I was new to upgrading and didn't know it's value back then. Sold it. :(

Beat the Green Dragon this afternoon. Took 152 turns, and it was absolutely the hardest battle in the game up to that point. Took me three tries to beat him, and overall, I gained more than 25,000 experience points. He's worth battling even if you can't beat him just for the experience point payout.

Finished the game tonight. I thought it was strange that I didn't get the Gate Hacker achievement (for bashing) until the game ended. It would have made more sense to get it at the last thing you could bash.

The ending was strange. Characters additions are so meaningless. Even playing on Hard, most enemies didn't do more than 50 damage to me in a battle for the last few floors.

Don't get me wrong. I've been addicted to the game and like it. It's just not as amazing or challenging as the first game. Too much stays the same for far too long. There's little need to ever change weapons, equipment, or spells for most of the game.

Yeah well even if it's mid-grade I love my manticore legendary poison and I just unlocked backstab so I can use my weapon without even using action points or whatever they're called.:) Combo that with Blackjack and that dude is taking damage while his turn is skipped lol.

Update: Yeah I acquired an Arachnia poison and have it upgraded to Legendary status. Got the PWNT achievement by using the hammer causing massive damage haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok soooo my conclusion after playing the Assassin up to level 45 is that weaken is the shit. Seriously all you need to do is take out one gem and make skull matches, make 4 of a kinds, or collect gems without sacrificing your move. Also it can really help you by minimizing the chance of the enemy casting their spell if you constantly harass them with it. Haha I've been playing Starcraft II too much, harassing your enemy!;)

It's been a while and I'm still running through this dungeon crawler puzzle game. This time I'm using a Templar and well I found the perfect combo of spells:

Overshadow - Suck away your enemy's defenses and add it to your def stats
Shield Bash - Use your high def stats to attack with a a shield bash
Hand of God - Generate the action gems you need, chances of 4 of a kind matches here high
Divine Power - Based on your def stats generates mana
Reinforce - Take away action gems to heal yourself

I also used Counter Attack with my high def build and it's hilarious to see an enemy pummel you and get hurt because of it. Reminded me when I used to play a Mesmer in Guild Wars.

Currently with this Templar character I'm trying to bash open everything to get that damn achievement. Hmm maybe I should have used a Barbarian for that but I would think you'd need intelligence more than brute strength.

Me again, beat the game with my Templar character and like above use the same loadout except now I have Heaven's Wrath instead of Reinforce. It destroys all the action gems on the board and the surrounding area around them. Couple that with Hand of God and oh man you can clear the entire board! As I beat the game again I got the Gate Smasher achievement, score! Still need to get the Epic Win and Loose on first turn cheivos.

bread's done
Back