XBLA - The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom - February 17 - 800 points

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
pbwinter.jpg

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/01/15/p-b-winterbottom-traveling-through-time-for-february-17-releas/

2K Play announced today that The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom will be available on February 17, 2010 exclusively on Xbox LIVE® Arcade for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft for 800 Microsoft Points. Set in a macabre and comical silent film era backdrop, The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom tells the story of the buttwitt villain P.B. Winterbottom, and his ravenous quest to devour every flakey crust of delicious pie he can swipe. Players take on the game’s movie-level “shorts” in the most ingenious way possible to attain the highest score while stacking, smacking, and riding through time.

The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom comes fresh from the imaginative ovens of video game "bakers" The Odd Gentlemen and commences just after the portly P.B. Winterbottom swipes a mouth-watering bite of the mysterious Chronoberry Pie. That first scrumptious morsel unsuspectingly gives him the ability to break the rules of time and replicate himself at will, by recording himself and harnessing time-bending abilities to cooperate, compete against, and disrupt his past, present and future selves. These amazing abilities, like fresh ingredients mixed with a mental prowess for problem sleuthing, make The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom the tastiest Xbox LIVE Arcade game of 2010.

The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom will be available on Xbox LIVE Arcade for Xbox 360 on February 17, 2010.
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/57261.html

Absolutely brilliant art style. If the game is generally considered good - and in this case I'm hoping for a less-heavy Braid style game - then I'll pick it up on day one.

Edward Gorey art with Wallace and Gromit styled humor? fucking yes please.

I figured this was going to be a 1200 point title. 800 is a nice surprise, and all but guarantees I'll be buying it.

meh, the demo is interesting but I just have a hard time justifying in buying it though (which is odd considering the crap I've bought over the years). It seems cool but it doesn't seem like there is enough content

Demo was definitely interesting, but I can't help but think that I've played this game or a game with the similar setup before...and I'm not talking about Braid. Not sure if I'll buy it yet, I'm leaning towards no...maybe if/when it goes on sale.

Im really enjoying the trial. May have to buy this.

Music is great. Feels different enough from braid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really enjoying the game so far. I never had a chance to play Braid, so picking this up for 800 points, to me, is at the right price point.

[quote name='fart_bubble']meh, the demo is interesting but I just have a hard time justifying in buying it though (which is odd considering the crap I've bought over the years). It seems cool but it doesn't seem like there is enough content[/QUOTE]

I totally agree. I actually think the game is very fun but i've looked at all the levels and there's hardly any puzzles in the game. The game isvery Braid-like, gameplay-wise, although some of it is just plain ripping off Braid (like the main nav screen), which defeats the purpose because the whole amazingness of Braid was the original game design. What happened to the days when puzzle games like Lemmings etc. would give you 100 levels of puzzles?? Super Monkey Ball also had almost 100 stages.

edit|: actually, i looked it up and it says the game has 75 puzzles, which is decent.

I'm still disappointed in the limited content many arcade games have. Braid was great but could have more content, especially since the game has so little replay value after you finish it. Trials HD i also thought should have come with way more tracks than it did. Worms shipped with only like 3 map themes.

Also, the game is very Braid-like, gameplay-wise, although some of it is just plain ripping off Braid (like the main nav screen), which defeats the purpose because the whole amazingness of Braid was the original game design. I'm thankful the game has a good price-point (800 MS points), but i'm probably not going to pick it up.

You might be, in a sense, missing the point of the arcade aspect of XBLA. I've sunk days into Trials HD and Worms, as they are insanely addictive, replayable "arcade" games.

[quote name='BARRICADE_28']I totally agree. I actually think the game is very fun but i've looked at all the levels and there's hardly any puzzles in the game. The game isvery Braid-like, gameplay-wise, although some of it is just plain ripping off Braid (like the main nav screen), which defeats the purpose because the whole amazingness of Braid was the original game design. What happened to the days when puzzle games like Lemmings etc. would give you 100 levels of puzzles?? Super Monkey Ball also had almost 100 stages.

edit|: actually, i looked it up and it says the game has 75 puzzles, which is decent.

I'm still disappointed in the limited content many arcade games have. Braid was great but could have more content, especially since the game has so little replay value after you finish it. Trials HD i also thought should have come with way more tracks than it did. Worms shipped with only like 3 map themes.

Also, the game is very Braid-like, gameplay-wise, although some of it is just plain ripping off Braid (like the main nav screen), which defeats the purpose because the whole amazingness of Braid was the original game design. I'm thankful the game has a good price-point (800 MS points), but i'm probably not going to pick it up.[/QUOTE]

When judging an arcade game, I don't look at the amount of content, but rather the fun and replayable I get from playing it. If you really need more content, look for retail games..arcade games are supposed to be short and sweet, nothing long or epic.

And to comment on that rip-off of Braid, I don't find any faults with that. If a game like Braid sets the standard and capitalizes on a great concept, gamers want more of those types of games to come out. It's the same argument people state when games are ripping off Doom, or games ripping off GTA. Original design is great and all, but why stop there? If a company can create something that's fun, gamers could care less if it was ripped off of another game.

5 different worlds with additional bonus levels/time trials is enough content to warrant a purchase.

[quote name='Ichigo1993']When judging an arcade game, I don't look at the amount of content, but rather the fun and replayable I get from playing it. If you really need more content, look for retail games..arcade games are supposed to be short and sweet, nothing long or epic.

And to comment on that rip-off of Braid, I don't find any faults with that. If a game like Braid sets the standard and capitalizes on a great concept, gamers want more of those types of games to come out. It's the same argument people state when games are ripping off Doom, or games ripping off GTA. Original design is great and all, but why stop there? If a company can create something that's fun, gamers could care less if it was ripped off of another game.

5 different worlds with additional bonus levels/time trials is enough content to warrant a purchase.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this outlook. Purchased.

I'll take a half dozen hours of awesome, experimental levels for $10, rather than a dozen+ hours of standard stock gameplay for $20 for a retail game (or $60, if I paid MSRP).

Darwinia is also great. I played it through on the PC back when it was new. I'm not sure how well the controls stand up; but the game is still great. I picked it up again, too, and played through a couple levels.

Bought this this morning.

So far the puzzle mechanics are fairly basic, while the art, sound, and presentation are all excellent. I read from the teamxbox review and some forum posts that the game gets very hard, but I haven't hit the hard levels yet.

I guess the basic mechanic is based off (or very similar to) the shadow world of Braid, but it doesn't play out very similar. I didn't feel like OMG this is just a Braid clone when I was playing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
My husband watched me try the demo last night, and while it definitely resonated of Braid, it seemed to handle well on its own. Although it didn't have the amazing sense of depth and feeling that Braid resonated, Winterbottom seems like a fair game. I'll likely pick it up on sale.

Just played the demo and was quite pleased with what I played. Honestly, my favorite part had to be the music. It was so catchy that I had a hard time reading anything that was on screen cause I was preoccupied with trying to follow the music lol. But it really seems like a great game, very beautiful art style, and comical at the same time. I will definitely purchase this sooner or later, but can't help but think with all the other sales as of recent, this will become 400 points by summer at some point. Considering I still haven't beat Shadow Complex, or Trine (both which I got on sale), I feel I should beat some backlog before I purchase ANOTHER game.

I tried the demo and I like the style and music, but something about it doesn't quite resonate with me. It's not really *that* much fun. I think it would be better served as a $0.99 iPhone game where you wouldn't care that it has no replay value. I found the Braid demo more compelling, though I'm waiting for a sale on that too. I'll probably pick this game up once there's a 50% off sale, though.

I just beat the main 50 levels. The art and music are great. A lot of the earlier puzzles are fairly basic, but they get better throughout the game. I thought the evil clone puzzles of level 4 and the second half of level 5 were brilliant. I wish the whole game had the cleverness of those ~10 levels. I would say it's one of the best 20 games I've played on XBLA.

The game is not easy, but at the same time I didn't think it was that hard. There was one puzzle that I sorta fudged my way through, not sure I had to true solution, just sorta did something that barely worked.

The 25 extra levels are just basic time attack puzzles, which are fine for what they are.

Tried the demo. The presentation is like this weird smashup of World of Goo and Braid, where you've got these semi-static backgrounds with animated elements, and then a lot of layered fade-ins-and-outs for other material. I still absolutely dig the Edward Gorey artwork and the soundtrack - very catchy and cool stuff. The writing doesn't have the punch Goo had, and I don't see the greater story elements of Braid, but it's still very solid in the presentation department.

Gameplay is ok. I do think it would have made a bigger impact had I not played Braid, or Use Boxmen, or any number of other flash games where this type of gameplay element has been used.

Don't know if I'll bite on it at 800, despite having a good number of points available to me, along with a backlog of XBLA titles (not to mention my actual physical stacks), but the game has a good deal of charm to it. I might reconsider soon enough.

bread's done
Back