XBLA - The Secret Of Monkey Island: Special Edition - 800pts

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']I wonder how he can afford to sell the codes for less than you can buy them. Maybe he got a bulk deal somewhere or something.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Monsta Mack']It's something to do with Amazon as another stated in the thread. He doesn't list codes that aren't listed on Amazon. So either he's a) using a stolen credit card b) Getting Amazon gift cards ultra cheap to the point he can make a profit on those or c) Buying stolen card/points or d) using a amazon code generator. Take your pick.[/QUOTE]

I thought there was also a theory that the XBLA games on eBay might be coming from people that manage to get those cheapass MS Points, who then use them to buy the games, and sell them less than MSRP, but still at a profit?

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I thought there was also a theory that the XBLA games on eBay might be coming from people that manage to get those cheapass MS Points, who then use them to buy the games, and sell them less than MSRP, but still at a profit?[/QUOTE]

Skip a step. They just use the stolen credit cards or hacked accounts to obtain the game codes from Amazon. While I can't prove it, I'm virtually certain it's the product of illegal activity. I'd avoid these kinds of "deals."

Does anyone know if Monkey Island would recognize a mouse if you plugged it into your 360? (which brings me to ask, does the 360 support a mouse?)

Great remake. I've only played thirty minutes worth but its bringing back some good memories.

I still find that I prefer the old graphics but I appreciate the effort they put into the new ones. Some of the new background details are impressive. The voice acting, thus far, is quality.

$10 is an amazing price for a great product that had a lot of effort put into it.

I'm really hoping this is selling relatively well so that we see more adventure games on consoles. Does anybody know who tracks XBLA sales?

I never played adventures games back when they were popular, but this game has a lot of good talk around it, so I decided to try out the demo. After the demo ended I immediately purchased it.

This game is really funny, but damn it is hard sometimes. So, far I have been able to complete two of the three trials; I found the Legendary Treasure of Melee Island and I got the Idol of Many Hands. Now I just need to figure out the stuff with the sword.

Oh, I love the updated art; it has a lot of detail and it looks really clean.

[quote name='Razzuel']I never played adventures games back when they were popular, but this game has a lot of good talk around it, so I decided to try out the demo. After the demo ended I immediately purchased it.
[/QUOTE]

same here.

and what a great decision, i am having a blast with this. the writing is great and i find myself laughing and smiling almost the whole way through so far

Really glad so many are enjoying this. There is a whole generation of gamer out there that have never played an adventure game. I have hopes the adventure game can return.

Here is to hoping the Monkey Island sequels get released. I'd also love to see Full Throttle and The Dig.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Really glad so many are enjoying this. There is a whole generation of gamer out there that have never played an adventure game. I have hopes the adventure game can return.

Here is to hoping the Monkey Island sequels get released. I'd also love to see Full Throttle and The Dig.[/QUOTE]

+1 million

It does my heart good to see point-and-click adventures (specifically the LucasArts variety), my all-time favorite genre, being rediscovered by a whole new generation of folks. Hoping this brings back a lot of the other classics, and, more importantly, a whole slew of new games.

There's a good article on MSNBC about the new Tales of Monkey Island episodes and the Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition. It talks about how the release of DOOM essentially marked the death of the adventure genre on the PC, and while that's not the only reason they went away, I do remember that as the demarcation point. How funny now that the return of adventure games is being helped along by their popularity on consoles (XBLA, Wii, and really first on the DS). Back in the day (late 80s through mid-90s), it was PCs vs. CONSOLES, with the latter being viewed is immature and one-dimensional compared to the advanced storytelling and gameplay happening on the PC side. Things have changed.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']This seemed instantly fishy to me, but I read the feedback and it seems to be the real deal. I wonder how he can afford to sell the codes for less than you can buy them. Maybe he got a bulk deal somewhere or something.[/QUOTE]

Seems to not be working. Link works but when you try to pay through paypal you only get an error message. Guess it wasnt legit.

Edit:
Just checked the comments and it seems he has run out. Maybe did buy in bulk and it seems like all the money was refunded promptly. Oh well, ill pony up the extra 5 bucks to get this game, love old school adventure games. Just curious if they will ever bring back the typing interface from old sierra adventure games.

[quote name='tankass']Seems to not be working. Link works but when you try to pay through paypal you only get an error message. Guess it wasnt legit.

Edit:
Just checked the comments and it seems he has run out. Maybe did buy in bulk and it seems like all the money was refunded promptly. Oh well, ill pony up the extra 5 bucks to get this game, love old school adventure games. Just curious if they will ever bring back the typing interface from old sierra adventure games.[/QUOTE]

Target is offering a $5 gc with purchase of 1600 points cards this week. So you save a bit there. Picked up three myself yesterday.

I'd say the game is definitely worth the 800 points. It's a classic game. I don't know if the Theme is worth it or not (I'm not one to buy themes).

I have many fond memories of playing Space Quest and King's Quest back in the day and never played the original Monkey Island, so I was excited to try this out. I got about 30 minutes into it and was really bored. There were some funny moments, but not enough to get me past the horifically outdated gameplay.

My wife was the same way. She never played the PC point and click adventures but she loved Uninvited on the NES. I asked her what she thought of it and she said it was really boring.

I'll slug through it eventually, but it will be because I feel compelled to experience it versus wanting to experience it. I'm getting plenty of gaming humor from Sacred 2 for now (I laughed out loud at my Temple Guardian telling a guy he might want to take a cold shower whereas Monkey Island only elicited a few minor chuckles).

Awesome game. Hope theres a comprehensive speed run out there so I can go for 3 hour or less achivement some day. I had about 7 hours of play time with a lot of tips.

Will gladly buy all the sequels they put it (if any) and wish Police Quest/Space Quest would get some of the same love.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Awesome game. Hope theres a comprehensive speed run out there so I can go for 3 hour or less achivement some day.[/QUOTE]

It's actually quite possible to beat the game in less than 45 minutes, if you have it all memorized.

[quote name='jkanownik']
I'll slug through it eventually, but it will be because I feel compelled to experience it versus wanting to experience it. I'm getting plenty of gaming humor from Sacred 2 for now (I laughed out loud at my Temple Guardian telling a guy he might want to take a cold shower whereas Monkey Island only elicited a few minor chuckles).[/QUOTE]

An interesting opinion. I don't want to tear it down, because it is your opinion and I respect that, but this one definitely caught me by surprise.

[quote name='jkanownik']I have many fond memories of playing Space Quest and King's Quest back in the day and never played the original Monkey Island, so I was excited to try this out. I got about 30 minutes into it and was really bored. There were some funny moments, but not enough to get me past the horifically outdated gameplay.

My wife was the same way. She never played the PC point and click adventures but she loved Uninvited on the NES. I asked her what she thought of it and she said it was really boring.

I'll slug through it eventually, but it will be because I feel compelled to experience it versus wanting to experience it. I'm getting plenty of gaming humor from Sacred 2 for now (I laughed out loud at my Temple Guardian telling a guy he might want to take a cold shower whereas Monkey Island only elicited a few minor chuckles).[/QUOTE]
This is why I don't know if i want to buy it. I think a lot of its appeal, like any other old game, is nostalgia. I never played this one but enjoyed other games like Maniac Mansion back in the day.

[quote name='Tybee']#2 download on XBLA this week (Battlefield 1943 #1). Not bad! Hopefully good enough to convince LucasArts (and TellTale) to bring more adventures to XBLA.[/QUOTE]
I may buy this just for that reason.

I'm beating Strell right now by 2%. This is my first time playing it, and I enjoy almost all of it. Except for the really crappy puzzles. Most of the time it's "oh, I get it", but sometimes it's like "that worked? Why the fuck would that be the solution?"

Not for long, hippie.

Thoughts on the game:

The artwork looks nice independent of knowing about the original version. It's clean and spacious and sharp. I really enjoy, for example, the fact that there is now a line of ships behind the Scumm Bar, which adds a lot of depth to the game. The water effects look nice and aren't overbearing.

However, part of the charm of the graphics has definitely been lost. This might just be me, but I enjoyed that the first part of the takes place entirely at night. The new graphics have a lot of areas (Swordmaster's, for example) that are very light, as if the sun is coming up. A dumb complaint, I know, but it goes a bit further. I prefer the sharper "lighting" of the original, where you just have big yellow squares in windows and hard colors. The new version uses alpha blending and other effects to give a more....well, taking-advantage-of-the-new-tech look. So the windows glow and the circus appears more vibrant. I just don't prefer this - the older version feels much more organic, much more "we had to work with what we had and it still looks awesome."

Which, in a way, makes me appreciate the old graphics more.

The characters overall aren't great. They are functional, but some are horrid. Toothrot comes to mind. Stan works BUT I hate how chiseled he looks. The shopkeeper looks brilliant. From a performance standpoint, they look great. But after that, it comes to personal preference, and I really don't prefer them. The random pirates look pretty bad as well.

The new graphics also hurt the animation side of things. I hate how Guybrush scales perfectly now - I much prefer the old "become a puddled mess of pixels" look when he goes far into the background. Getting shot out of the cannon looked weird. Riding the pulley chicken looked too smooth. Guybrush's walk looks overly smooth. The talking animations take advantage of the fact that the graphics are of a much higher resolution, which makes them look lifeless, since there's basically just a small mouth opening and closing. Watch the cook when he's crying, for example, and compare it to the old one - they were working under worse conditions, so the movements had to be more exaggerated. But now we've got this minimal animation that just....looks much more lifeless.

The music is excellent, and plays great homage to the original. I can't say I prefer it over the older stuff, but it works very well, to the point where I'm not noticing issues. That's a good thing - even par.

Overall, this is the same problem/feelings I had when I got Street Fighter 2 HD Remix - you have these nice graphics, but now it only highlights the limitations they aren't fixing in the graphics department. So when there's close-up conversations in the Scumm Bar, there's still little to no animation (you couldn't put in mouth movements?). Yes, this preserves the original look, but it looks out of place because I halfway expect them to update it. So, when you had these beautiful SF2 characters doing 2-frame victory animations, it just looks odd. Meathook's "Hello Roger" doesn't look near as charming.

Gameplay remains good, but I don't like the new interface. There's no reason I shouldn't be able to double-click to fast travel somewhere, and no reason why I need to keep hitting the button to move on a scrolling screen. Let me assign one stick to a camera pan and the other to pointer movement, and that would make things a bit easier. The inventory being on its own subscreen sucks. The fact that I don't have control over the hotkeys sucks - I ought to be able to assign commands to the triggers instead of having them wasted, and I ought to be able to use the dpad better. Many times a command won't execute from the inventory screen, and I have to do it a few times over. Likewise, the highlighted item doesn't highlight enough - make the border for it flash. Overall it's sort of a mess - serviceable, but nowhere near as good as it could be. The grog puzzle to get the guy out of jail was a hassle - I switched to the old interface to get through it easier.

Voices are good. I hear Yakko Warner/Old Man Lollypop, Tom Kenny (Spongebob/various piratey voices), a some other notables. HOWEVER I really, really hate the lag in between the jokes. The dialogue really needs to pop better. Right now, a lot of it sounds like a bad sitcom (Everybody Loves Raymond), where the lines have too much dead silence in between them. The scene at Marley mansion comes to mind, which needed to move a lot faster.

I really wanted the option to play with old graphics, and/or voices, and/or new music. The scripting engine seems to handle it flawlessly when I switch in mid-sentences, so I fail to see why it couldn't be given to me. I'm sure there's a technical reason I'm not privy to, but oh well.

I just got to Monkey Island, so I've a ways to go. Overall I'm giving the concept an A++, but the current execution about a C+/B-. Yeah I'm sounding overly critical, but I just

I bought it too and I've never played it before this. Its very hard! I'm so confused.

But if I read what to do that will just ruin the fun. So I'm stumped for tonight. Can't even beat the three trials. >_

We started it last night. I'm letting my wife play through it first, as this is her first time encountering the game (really her first time playing an adventure game in general, other than a little bit of Curse of Monkey Island years ago and watching me play Wallace & Gromit). She likes it!

I'm pretty much the biggest Monkey Island fanboy there is, and I think you're being a little harsh, Strell. Your criticisms of the interface are correct. Definitely could have been implemented better (see W&G or Sam & Max). But I've been quite pleased with the graphical updates (especially the backgrounds) and the fully orchestrated music is a revelation (and much more faithful to the original than I was expecting). Yes, the aesthetic choice to have the new graphics mirror the static, herky-jerky animation of the original game was perhaps misguided, but it hasn't really bothered us.

I was a little apprehensive about the voicework ruining a lot of the jokes, but it just hasn't. In fact, I laughed out loud several times already, including at some things that I did not laugh at in the original. Is it different? Yes. But necessarily so. Any time you add voicework to a game that was originally silent, people are going to have to reconcile the voices/cadences in their head with the literal voices now coming out of the speakers. Maybe it's because I like Dom Armato so much (I hung out with him at E3 in 1999), but it just feels natural to hear his voice in this game, and almost every other voice I've heard so far is perfectly cast.

I almost got a controller winged at my head when after playing for 45 minutes, my wife got stuck and asked me what to do and I told her try some of the other buttons. She pressed X by accident and realized that she had lost the "complete the game without hints" achievement. Whoops.

When she finishes the game, I plan to do a speed run to try and knock out all the achievements in one go. May do a run for her too, since it's going to take her much longer than 3 hours to complete it (and I need to make up for losing her the no-hint one).

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah but, see - I'm not. Because I hold this as stuff only I'm criticizing (except for some more universal things like a bad interface).

I love Dom, and actually enjoy MI3/4 much more so than the rabidly (unfair) userbase. So the voices themselves don't bother me. But those games were made with voice in mind, and thus the rhythms work ten times better. There's no reason they couldn't tell the code to execute quicker. That's my main beef.

And I've talked to other fanboys who agree that the graphics are good, but the character designs vary between "nice" and "horrific." It's not just me. C'mon - Toothrot looks terrible, in both a bad design way and in a cartoony gremlin way. He needs to be more crazed-hermit-prospector-y.

I'd be no less or more critical with A) a game I love, B) a game I hate, or C) a game I know but don't have much nostalgia for. So I'd hold, say, a Link to the Past remake on the same level as the Final Fantasy remakes on the GBA versus a Grim Fandango rerun. There's things to like and not to like, and a lot of it is personal preference, mostly due to nostalgia. Which means I wouldn't not recommend the game to someone new - I'd expect them to be a full reversal if they started with the update and went backward, criticizing the simpler graphics and lack of audio enhancement.

Last edited by a moderator:
examine.jpg

gift-guide-marie-claire-300.jpg

horse.jpg

[quote name='Strell'] If they brought them to other platforms, I'd gladly double/triple dip.[/QUOTE]

*yawn*

Get to readin',
uniball.gif

I really liked the game. I had previously only played 3/4/Grim Fandango/Full Throttle, so the voices and updated graphics were great. Might play through with the old graphics while going for the 3 hr. achievement.

I even bought the premium theme to support them bringing more classics back. It's not bad, with each friend on the friend list having their own little island to stand on with some MI prop. There's a few other backgrounds for menus too, like the Scumm Bar and underwater scene. I still wish the new dashboard update would allow for premium theme previews; it seems pretty basic, but they haven't done it yet. I hate scouring search engines for a view of the themes.

[quote name='Strell']Not for long, hippie.[/QUOTE]
Well, you're going to have to borrow a Chron-o-John from Day of the Tentacle if you want to beat the remake before me. Is 200/200 good enough for you? If you want to beat my score with a faster time, go ahead. I didn't skip every possible scene, and learned a few extra insults.

[quote name='moyetoy1228']I even bought the premium theme to support them bringing more classics back. It's not bad, with each friend on the friend list having their own little island to stand on with some MI prop. There's a few other backgrounds for menus too, like the Scumm Bar and underwater scene. I still wish the new dashboard update would allow for premium theme previews; it seems pretty basic, but they haven't done it yet. I hate scouring search engines for a view of the themes.[/QUOTE]

Already posted in the thread, but once more: http://www.themexbox.com

[quote name='Doomed']Well, you're going to have to borrow a Chron-o-John from Day of the Tentacle if you want to beat the remake before me.[/QUOTE]

Oh, but you misunderstand.

See, I beat the game years ago. So, really, it is you who would require the Chron-o-John from Day of the Tentacle. Another game, mind you, that I conquered long before your mind saw fit to experience it.

Hence, "not for long."

I suck. It took me 7 hours to complete the game...with 3 hints. Although it was my first time playing this awesome game to completion, I am no stranger to the point and click adventure. Oh well, I guess I am just cursed to really like point and click games and be horrible at playing them.

[quote name='Strell']Oh, but you misunderstand.

See, I beat the game years ago. So, really, it is you who would require the Chron-o-John from Day of the Tentacle. Another game, mind you, that I conquered long before your mind saw fit to experience it.

Hence, "not for long."[/QUOTE]
I almost added a remark how you're still ahead of me, since you probably beat SoMI before I was ever born. Instead I just added the specification that you didn't beat the remake before me.

[quote name='Doomed']I almost added a remark how you're still ahead of me, since you probably beat SoMI before I was ever born. Instead I just added the specification that you didn't beat the remake before me.[/QUOTE]

Damn straight. And we didn't have built-in hint systems or THE INTERWEBS back then, either.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Yeah the golden years of gaming, if you got stuck you called a hotline or spent weeks trying to figure it out.[/QUOTE]

Yup. Our parents forbade us to call the LucasArts and Sierra (especially, Sierra, whose games were crueler and regularly killed you) hint lines, so there was a lot of late night rationalizing by my friend and I. Somewhere around 3:00 am, we'd invariably break and call, knowing that we had set a doomsday clock in motion, counting down to the day that phone bill arrived. ;)

Your one other option back then was the official hint books, but they were like $10 - $15 and involved being driven to the mall, so we never got those.

Just a reminder, this is the deal of the week for 400 points. I've heard nothing but good things, so I'm going to try out the demo.

bread's done
Back