XBOX 1 year warranty- yes or no?

regisphilbi0

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I'm buying the Halo Edition XBOX this Friday, and I'm curious to know if I should get a warranty on it or not. The warranty costs $20, and then I can just take the XBOX to the store (Gamecrazy) and they will give me a new one. Any advice would be appreciated.

Go to Best Buy, buy the Halo package, and buy the two year product replacement plan for $30. With this you can take the system back in in 2 years and get $180 in store credit to put towards a purchase of XBox 2.

I rember you can break it under BB protectionm plan and they will still replace it. I was buying a cordless phone and the cashier told me that if I bought the plan and the battery goes dead they will replace it. So used the phone till it need to be recharged and it I took it their said it would not turn on they replaced it. s if buying a warrenty go with BB

Buy SOME warranty. The 90 day warranty is crap. I've had no problems with any of my consoles, but I've heard plenty of horror stories to convince me that warranties are a good investment.

Don't buy it. It only lasts for one yr and the xbox has pretty good reliability. Im thinking if its broken now, its gonna show up in the first 3 months and not the following 9. If it was a two yr warranty then it might be worth it, but to me a 1 yr is worthless.

These plans are never a good investment. They have done numerous studies on these extended warrenties, and they are cash cows for the stores. It is the reason the store pushes them so hard. Odds are very much against that anything you buy is going to break in a year or even 2. It might break, but odds are very much against it. You are better off setting all that money aside, and then if anything does ever break, you have money to replace it. You'll come out better in the long run.

The guy at Sear's was trying to get me to get the warranty on a $35 DVD player. I looked at my boyfriend and laughed because it would have cost me $30 for it and the DVD player was only $35.

buy a warranty. I spent a year over at the Xbox boards and so many people had their system break.

I got a PS2 instead of Xbox number 3 if that means anything to you

I got my Xbox at Mediaplay warranty is good for 2 yrs and 18 bucks down I remember buying a PS2 at bestbuy it was about 24.99 for 2 years. So just ask yourself if you want to replace a System for around 20 bucks or 100 later?

[quote name='regisphilbi0']What do u mean?
I got a PS2 instead of Xbox number 3 if that means anything to you
DId your ps2 break, so you got an XBOX instead?[/quote]

I mean that I have had two Xbox systems that totally destroyed my games. I spendt the 30 dollars on the warranty and now have a PS2 in its place

I have a 3 year old Xbox that gets played almost daily and I have had basically no problem with it. (Only problem I had was 2 crashes during Morrowind.. but that was more the game then the console.)

Most people that have real problem with their consoles simply don't handle them properly/abuse them.

Moral of the story: if you take care of your stuff, save the money.

EDIT - Thought about it.. it's actually nearly 4 years old.

Thanks for all the advice. I don't think I'll get it, mostly becuase by the time it starts wearing out the XBOX 2 should be out. Then I can just buy the next one. Heres hoping they make it backwards compatible.

I have never had a problem with any of my consoles. Except for my original NES, but that thing was never exactly the sturdiest, and after 15 years of constant use it is understandable that it doesn't work too well. And Casey, if your problem wasn't hardware specific (and it wasn't because the odds of you getting two Xboxes with drastic problems is negligible) are you sure you just don't know how to use an Xbox?

[quote name='Cornfedwb']I have a 3 year old Xbox that gets played almost daily and I have had basically no problem with it. (Only problem I had was 2 crashes during Morrowind.. but that was more the game then the console.)

Most people that have real problem with their consoles simply don't handle them properly/abuse them.

Moral of the story: if you take care of your stuff, save the money.

EDIT - Thought about it.. it's actually nearly 4 years old.[/quote]

4 years old?

unless you've had your "beta" Xbox since E3 2000, then your statement is truly false. Xbox came out Nov. 15, 2001. Right now it is June 21, 2004. Not even 3 years yet until a few months later.

I boguht my Xbox Jan. 31, 2002. It died late night Feb. 1, 2004. What a strange coincidence about 2 years after I bought my Xbox, the day right after it died. That would have probably ended by CompUSA 2 year warranty anyways..

Also I took great care of my Xbox, I never "experimented" with it, mistreat, or abuse it.. Just left it in my glass case shelf next to my TV, and the DvD drive died by itself while I was playing. Error #12. IDE cable problem, but it actually is a messed up DvD Drive that screwed itself up. It is just unfortunate luck that can strike you, not generally person who owns and mistreats it. So get your facts straight unless you know both sides of the story. :wink:

[quote name='regisphilbi0']Thanks for all the advice. I don't think I'll get it, mostly becuase by the time it starts wearing out the XBOX 2 should be out. Then I can just buy the next one. Heres hoping they make it backwards compatible.[/quote]

If Xbox 2 (or XBoxNext) does go backwards compatible, Microsoft will get sued because of lawsuits from Nvidia, the video/graphics card maker of Xbox 1. Xbox 2 will go ATI, so there will also be conflict problems, unless Xbox 2 Emulates, which is very unlikely.

[quote name='lordxixor101']These plans are never a good investment. They have done numerous studies on these extended warrenties, and they are cash cows for the stores. It is the reason the store pushes them so hard. Odds are very much against that anything you buy is going to break in a year or even 2. It might break, but odds are very much against it. You are better off setting all that money aside, and then if anything does ever break, you have money to replace it. You'll come out better in the long run.[/quote]

I agree, waste of money. I have never had anything break outside of the manufacturers warrenty. Plus, you can oly use those extended warrenties once. Thats the shitty part. Most credit cards offer an extended warrenty for free. AMX doubles the manufacturers wannenty for free.

WOW I can't believe I've never thought about that BEST BUY 2 year Replacement Plan, it is a good idea as long as the Xbox 2 is backward compatable...

[quote name='gamefreak117'][quote name='regisphilbi0']Thanks for all the advice. I don't think I'll get it, mostly becuase by the time it starts wearing out the XBOX 2 should be out. Then I can just buy the next one. Heres hoping they make it backwards compatible.[/quote]

If Xbox 2 (or XBoxNext) does go backwards compatible, Microsoft will get sued because of lawsuits from Nvidia, the video/graphics card maker of Xbox 1. Xbox 2 will go ATI, so there will also be conflict problems, unless Xbox 2 Emulates, which is very unlikely.[/quote]

That reasoning is debunked in another thread I believe.

I work at Best Buy, and we do push them hard, but they are really worth it. They tell us to really offer it on everything, but on some stuff I wont just out of principal but I really push them on game systems. The Halo bundle one is only 30 and its good for two years. If you have any problems just take it back to any Best Buy and you'll get your money back in store credit. Also, if like a year and a half from now it breaks and the Xbox is down to like $120. You can still get the 180+tax back so you can get a new box and like a new game. I wish i had bought one (didnt work there when I bought my box) and my box broke in about a year and a half (Disk read errors...and I treat my box with the utmost care and respect)

You know I forgot about the price break thing. Christmas before last I got a MP3 CD player from BB. It came with the warranty/replacement plan. It stopped working a month or two later. I got a voucher for the full price of the player. By that time the player had been marked down about $10. I paid $2-$3, got a brand new player AND a CD to play on it.

The Best Buy plan sounds good, although I try not to sell my systems. Ive had my Xbox for almost a year now, and I have never had any problems.

bread's done
Back