Xbox 360 @ 1024 x 768?

[quote name='likeaphoenixignition']If I get a LCD monitor that has a native resolution of 1024 x 768 will it work?[/QUOTE]
I believe that is one of the supported VGA resolutions...so you'd have to have the VGA cable and a monitor capable of accepting it, but yes.

Now, if MS would get its shit together and support 1440x900 and 1650x1050, I'd be happy.

Thanks, I doubt they would do 1440 x 900 or 1650 x 1050.. those demand a lot of resources and I don't think the 360 is capable of it.

[quote name='KaneRobot']I believe that is one of the supported VGA resolutions...so you'd have to have the VGA cable and a monitor capable of accepting it, but yes.

Now, if MS would get its shit together and support 1440x900 and 1650x1050, I'd be happy.[/quote]

[quote name='KaneRobot']
Now, if MS would get its shit together and support 1440x900 and 1650x1050, I'd be happy.[/QUOTE]

Yes. fuck yes.

[quote name='likeaphoenixignition']Thanks, I doubt they would do 1440 x 900 or 1650 x 1050.. those demand a lot of resources and I don't think the 360 is capable of it.[/QUOTE]

:whistle2:s It can do 1920×1080, why wouldn't it be able to do 1440x900 or 1650x1050?

Also be careful, I heard that it still plays in widescreen even if you don't have a widescreen monitor (aka black bars).

[quote name='Sporadic']:whistle2:s It can do 1920×1080, why wouldn't it be able to do 1440x900 or 1650x1050?

Also be careful, I heard that it still plays in widescreen even if you don't have a widescreen monitor (aka black bars).[/QUOTE]

Yep. While I wait for an LCD TV to be released that does everything I want (or an HDMI cable to be released for the 360...sigh) I'm using my LCD monitor, which runs the usual 1280x1024. Thankfully that is a supported resolution and it does look really nice besides the obvious size issue. The games are letterboxed.

It annoys the hell out of me that they've yet to put in 1440x900 and 1650x1250, two of the most common widescreen resolutions out there. I'd probably upgrade my monitor to widescreen if they did that.

[quote name='KaneRobot']It annoys the hell out of me that they've yet to put in 1440x900 and 1650x1250, two of the most common widescreen resolutions out there. I'd probably upgrade my monitor to widescreen if they did that.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know what you mean.

I just ordered a VGA cable to use on my Samsung 19" widescreen so we'll see how looks even though 1440x900 isn't supported.

I run mine at the highest resolution before they added another under VGA, and it's widescreen, so all I do is go through monitor settings and make the picture scrunched widescreen and it works perfectly (and looks beautiful.) But for the question, it definitely supports 1024x768.

[quote name='Sporadic']Yeah, I know what you mean.

I just ordered a VGA cable to use on my Samsung 19" widescreen so we'll see how looks even though 1440x900 isn't supported.[/quote]

Looks perfect when set to 1366x768.

OP, I'd get a widescreen monitor if I were you. 4:3 monitors will give you the black bars when playing 360 games.

[quote name='Trakan']Looks perfect when set to 1366x768.

OP, I'd get a widescreen monitor if I were you. 4:3 monitors will give you the black bars when playing 360 games.[/quote]

Downsizing a LCD monitor to a supported res. by the 360 usually looks like poop. :(

[quote name='likeaphoenixignition']Downsizing a LCD monitor to a supported res. by the 360 usually looks like poop. :([/quote]

It's what I used for 8 months, trust me. Looks fantastic.

I hooked my 360 up to a 4:3 CRT monitor and I don't have black bars. Doesn't look squished either. In fact, the picture looks spectacular, better than on my 26" Samsung CRT HDTV or my roommates 50" Samsung DLP. I'm using a Dell/Trinitron 21" PC monitor.

http://www.amazon.com/2048x1536-res...2/103-1538438-4558217?ie=UTF8&s=miscellaneous

That is what I was using my 360 on (Dell P1130). I normally have it hooked up to the DLP downstairs or the CRT HDTV in my room, but I had the VGA cables and already had that monitor so I hooked the 360 up to it just to see what it would look like. I was stunned by the picture quality. If you're on a budget and can't afford an HDTV but want to play 360 in HD, get one of these bad boys. I got mine at the FSU surplus auction for $30 and it came with a computer. I see huge CRT's at places like Goodwill all the time for around the same price.

Pixel-perfect (or 1:1 pixel mapping) will always look better than...well...not pixel perfect, but depending on how the 360 handles it and how your monitor handles it, I'm sure it's not hard to get a really outstanding looking picture out of an LCD monitor.

Sporadic, let us know how it looks when you get it going.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Pixel-perfect (or 1:1 pixel mapping) will always look better than...well...not pixel perfect, but depending on how the 360 handles it and how your monitor handles it, I'm sure it's not hard to get a really outstanding looking picture out of an LCD monitor.

Sporadic, let us know how it looks when you get it going.[/quote]

It will almost always look good on a LCD monitor if it is the supported NATIVE resolution for that monitor. I have a 1280 x 800 laptop monitor, 1024 x 768 somewhat looks like poop, the text is bad to read and the graphics look a little smothered.

I just got the 22" westinghouse ws lcd monitor, 1680 x 1050. Don't know too much about this stuff, are there any settings I should / can change to maximize the quality?

Also the only thing I need is the VGA HDAV cables, right? The monitor came with a bunch of other cables.

[quote name='anteis24']I just got the 22" westinghouse ws lcd monitor, 1680 x 1050. Don't know too much about this stuff, are there any settings I should / can change to maximize the quality?

Also the only thing I need is the VGA HDAV cables, right? The monitor came with a bunch of other cables.[/QUOTE]

You should just need the 360's VGA cable, yes. I'd just set it to the closest setting available on the 360 and then try other ones close to it if you're not satisfied.

Let me know how it looks on that monitor, that's the one I'm thinking about getting.

[quote name='Qslugs']1280x1024 on a samsung 204B, no black bars on any games. Everything looks amazing.[/QUOTE]

Have you tried using 1280x720? I tried 1280x1024 and everything looked much worse, so I only use widescreen resolutions now and I just adjust my 4:3 monitor to display it correctly (with black bars). I get the impression that the 360 upscales a 480p output when using 4:3 (or 5:4) resolutions instead of using the 720p one (which is natively widescreen).

[quote name='likeaphoenixignition']So are you runing 1280 x 720, or are you running 1280 x 1024 with black bars on the top and bottom?[/QUOTE]

I run at 1280x720 and simply adjust the Vertical Size. On a LCD Monitor (I use a CRT) you'd have to set it to 1:1 or aspect ratio strech instead of filling the whole screen. If your monitor has a native resolution of 1280x1024 (which I'm guessing it does), just set it to 1:1 pixel ratio and it'll use exactly the right amount of pixels (the ones on the top and bottom will be unused and black).

[quote name='KaneRobot']Pixel-perfect (or 1:1 pixel mapping) will always look better than...well...not pixel perfect, but depending on how the 360 handles it and how your monitor handles it, I'm sure it's not hard to get a really outstanding looking picture out of an LCD monitor.

Sporadic, let us know how it looks when you get it going.[/QUOTE]

It is goddamn beautiful.

Even when I have it to stretch 1366x768 to 1440x900 all of the HD content looks fantastic.

Games looks crisp and precise.

I'm going to make a new thread later tonight full of pictures and a full write up of my experience.

[quote name='Sporadic']It is goddamn beautiful.

Even when I have it to stretch 1366x768 to 1440x900 all of the HD content looks fantastic.

I'm going to make a new thread later tonight full of pictures and a full write up of my experience.[/quote]

Told you so.

[quote name='Sporadic']It is goddamn beautiful.

I'm going to make a new thread later tonight full of pictures and a full write up of my experience.[/QUOTE]

Ok, cool. I'll probably plunk down for a widescreen.

Ok, Im planning to use my LCD moniter for my 360 (with a VGA cable)...the highest resolution it can do is 1024 x 768...does that mean its gonna put those black bars on the screen?

[quote name='abc123mozart']Ok, Im planning to use my LCD moniter for my 360 (with a VGA cable)...the highest resolution it can do is 1024 x 768...does that mean its gonna put those black bars on the screen?[/QUOTE]

Yes, if it's a 4:3 (non-widescreen) monitor. You can try setting it on the 360 as "widescreen" and it will stretch the picture, but it's honestly not that bad with the black bars.

....regardless, I plunked down for the 24" Dell widescreen today. :D

[quote name='Sporadic']:drool: Lucky[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I had to do some clever manipulatin' and sell off a few things (that I really don't use anyway), but because I'm holding off on buying a full HDTV until next year after my unsatisfied experimentation with a few sets recently, I wanted something to hold me over. Ben's Bargains comes through again...

Will put up a few pics if I can get some decent shots.

On the downside, PC games like FEAR will run like ass since the native resolution is so huge, but I don't play many PC games these days anyway.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Yes, if it's a 4:3 (non-widescreen) monitor. You can try setting it on the 360 as "widescreen" and it will stretch the picture, but it's honestly not that bad with the black bars.

....regardless, I plunked down for the 24" Dell widescreen today. :D[/quote]

how big are the black bars?

[quote name='KaneRobot']Yeah, I had to do some clever manipulatin' and sell off a few things (that I really don't use anyway), but because I'm holding off on buying a full HDTV until next year after my unsatisfied experimentation with a few sets recently, I wanted something to hold me over. Ben's Bargains comes through again...

Will put up a few pics if I can get some decent shots.

On the downside, PC games like FEAR will run like ass since the native resolution is so huge, but I don't play many PC games these days anyway.[/QUOTE]

Damn! You got yourself a 1080p capable display!

bread's done
Back