Xbox 360 120 Gig HD 119.97 Amazon

I saw that deal yesterday and was tempted. but I just know as soon as I buy it there will be a prioce drop or larger HDD announced.

i got one on ebay for like $65. or, if you're willing to put a different hdd inside your 20gb hdd shell, you can get just the bare drive for like $45.

[quote name='JCDenton']i got one on ebay for like $65. or, if you're willing to put a different hdd inside your 20gb hdd shell, you can get just the bare drive for like $45.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that. I don't want to spend 120 dollars on a new HD, 45 is much more reasonable.
pixel.gif

[quote name='JCDenton']i got one on ebay for like $65. or, if you're willing to put a different hdd inside your 20gb hdd shell, you can get just the bare drive for like $45.[/QUOTE]
Yep this. Also, the new version of HDD Hackr (1.00) supports the WD Scorpio Black and Blue drives as well as the more common/well known BEVS drives. You can also get a spare enclosure on eBay for around $20 and a free data migration kit from Microsoft if you call them (in case you have content you want to transfer).

Can you play backwards compatible games though? I have a drive right now I think is fake (seller didn't mention that, lame) and it doesn't work with BC. However if you don't want BC they work great with everything else.

I wonder whats taking MS so long to get on with a 500gig or 1Terra drive. They just announced having 360 games downloadable. One would think MS would release a bigger hard drive especially since I'm sure they don't want people downloading 8gig titles over and over, it would cost them less to seller us a terrabyte hard drive and have everything on there. That's about 100 or so retail games and plenty of room for XBLA titles and saved data.

[quote name='rad|cal']Can you play backwards compatible games though? I have a drive right now I think is fake (seller didn't mention that, lame) and it doesn't work with BC. However if you don't want BC they work great with everything else.[/QUOTE]
It does if you backup your partition 2 correctly.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']I wonder whats taking MS so long to get on with a 500gig or 1Terra drive. They just announced having 360 games downloadable. One would think MS would release a bigger hard drive especially since I'm sure they don't want people downloading 8gig titles over and over, it would cost them less to seller us a terrabyte hard drive and have everything on there. That's about 100 or so retail games and plenty of room for XBLA titles and saved data.[/QUOTE]
Probably because 1TB drives aren't commercially available in 2.5" yet. Though it's funny that posts saying how to get a real deal by buying your own internal drive are deleted.

And to answer the question, if you buy one from eBay and backwards compatibility doesn't work, backup/restore the partition 2 off of your old 20/60GB drive if you have it using Xplorer360 or Xport 360.

[quote name='cloger']Very true.[/QUOTE]

ugh... brutal.

I don't download any games so this hasn't been an issue for me yet. I guess when the time comes, if at all, I'll learn how to do the bare drive replacement option.

I would try at Sears but I've never been lucky with their clearance items, either they are out of stock or "they haven't stocked that item in months." I might just use my $10 BB coupon to do the 60 GB HDD for $90. :whistle2:(

I am tempted to say the least. Now with MS announcing that you can soon digitally purchase games I am def going to need one.

This is a situation that a company's greediness is costing them money. My 20 gig very near full, so I've been purchasing most games on PSN. I would happily switch back and give M$ (yes the $ belongs there in this situation) my money to purcahse content on live. However, I won't until they make their drives availalbe at a reasonable price. I mean they could fill it with promos to even help reduce the cost. Instead they instist making large profits on the HD and content. Maybe I'm the only one that feels this way, but I have a feeling I'm not the only one.

Also I have made these comments on multiple CAG threads and other forums hoping that some one from M$ gets their head out of their ass and starts listening to their users. I know it is a shot in the dark, but oh well.

[quote name='52club']This is a situation that a company's greediness is costing them money. My 20 gig very near full, so I've been purchasing most games on PSN. I would happily switch back and give M$ (yes the $ belongs there in this situation) my money to purcahse content on live. However, I won't until they make their drives availalbe at a reasonable price. I mean they could fill it with promos to even help reduce the cost. Instead they instist making large profits on the HD and content. Maybe I'm the only one that feels this way, but I have a feeling I'm not the only one.

Also I have made these comments on multiple CAG threads and other forums hoping that some one from M$ gets their head out of their ass and starts listening to their users. I know it is a shot in the dark, but oh well.[/QUOTE]

This.

I'm starting to fill up my 20GB drive also, so if I feel like buying an arcade game now or extra content for multi platform games, I go the Ps3 route since they have bigger and cheaper hard drives. I'm honestly annoyed I made my Rock Band song purcheses on the 360 and not waited for the Ps3 version.

[quote name='Shimrra']I am tempted to say the least. Now with MS announcing that you can soon digitally purchase games I am def going to need one.[/QUOTE]I was thinking the same thing. However, a 120 gig drive only being able to hold just over a dozen full size games. I'd be willing to bet MS will release a larger drive with the launch of the new new store, hopefully at a better cost-per-gig ratio.

I'm in the same boat as the previous couple of posters. Since my 20 gig drive is running out of space, I tend to buy more DLC stuff on the PS3.

Right now my HD is slowly running out of space so for now I am just holding off on buying alot of the XBL games. To be honest yeah it sucks but I am so backlogged on my games it is going to take some time to even get to my XBL games. LOL I still have not gone thru a full game of SF4 cause I want to get thru everything else first. DAMN YOU FALLOUT 3!!

Can you explain this further?

[quote name='crzyboy88']Can you explain this further?[/QUOTE]

Link to the PCWorld article.

Also, I've seen pre-formatted drives on eBay for cheap. All the work is done for you. :p

I believe JCDenton was referring to those.

[quote name='JCDenton']i got one on ebay for like $65. or, if you're willing to put a different hdd inside your 20gb hdd shell, you can get just the bare drive for like $45.
iy.gif
[/QUOTE]
Thats the cheapest way to get it and also the smartest way to do, only thing is that it will take some time to set it up.

[quote name='crzyboy88']Can you explain this further?[/QUOTE]

You can put a laptop drive in the 360's case. The ones on ebay from Hong Kong all do that and basically sell you a decent fake drive for half the price. One problem though, I don't know if they ever fixed the backwards compatibility problem, so you'd have to DIY and open up and do a bunch of technical junk to use an ebay hdd with BC.

Replacing the hdd isn't the easiest thing to do though. But if you're willing to risk it, the hack works with the 120GB Western Digital Scorpio, which is under $50 shipped. MS are bastards for not making it swappable like Sony did with the PS3. Easiest option is this $120 hdd or try to get lucky on ebay. I'm still with 20gb ;(

[quote name='Import']Replacing the hdd isn't the easiest thing to do though. But if you're willing to risk it, the hack works with the 120GB Western Digital Scorpio, which is under $50 shipped. MS are bastards for not making it swappable like Sony did with the PS3. Easiest option is this $120 hdd or try to get lucky on ebay. I'm still with 20gb ;([/QUOTE]

i got a used 120gb from an elite for $65. it took 30 seconds to install.

[quote name='JCDenton']i got a used 120gb from an elite for $65. it took 30 seconds to install.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't talking about switching the drive. I was talking about removing the shell, installing a new hdd, flashing the hdd, etc.

Not just an official MS HDD for another one, lol

[quote name='52club']This is a situation that a company's greediness is costing them money. My 20 gig very near full, so I've been purchasing most games on PSN. I would happily switch back and give M$ (yes the $ belongs there in this situation) my money to purcahse content on live. However, I won't until they make their drives availalbe at a reasonable price. I mean they could fill it with promos to even help reduce the cost. Instead they instist making large profits on the HD and content. Maybe I'm the only one that feels this way, but I have a feeling I'm not the only one.

Also I have made these comments on multiple CAG threads and other forums hoping that some one from M$ gets their head out of their ass and starts listening to their users. I know it is a shot in the dark, but oh well.[/QUOTE]

Why are you downloading them on the PSN instead? Because you can put any hard drive in your PS3?

You realize you can do that in the 360 too, right? It just caps it at 120gb so you can't put a 500 gigger or something in there, but you can grab a 120gb hard drive for like 45 bucks and pop it in there just fine. It doesn't even void your warranty.

[quote name='FierceDeityLink1']Decent deal on a 120GB from Microsoft. I wish it were like PS3 where you could do it yourself.[/QUOTE]

You can.

[quote name='rad|cal']You can put a laptop drive in the 360's case. The ones on ebay from Hong Kong all do that and basically sell you a decent fake drive for half the price. One problem though, I don't know if they ever fixed the backwards compatibility problem, so you'd have to DIY and open up and do a bunch of technical junk to use an ebay hdd with BC.[/QUOTE]

Good to know about the BC problems. I've been wondering about all those Chinese HDDs on eBay and now I'll probably avoid them.

Ugh, I can't believe ~$110 for 120GB is considered a good deal, but I'm tempted. I've definitely passed on buying games and even trying some demos because of space issues. Microsoft should take note. (My cynical side says they already have.)

[quote name='Vcize']You can.[/QUOTE]

It's not officially-supported, it isn't as easy as it is with the PS3 (though still quite easy), and you can't put it a drive larger than 120GB. And that size is pathetic, considering all of the content you can download or put on the drive. And now, MS will release a 250GB drive for like $250. All they have done this generation is put us over a barrel with shit like their drives and the massively overpriced wireless network adapter.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']It's not officially-supported, it isn't as easy as it is with the PS3 (though still quite easy), and you can't put it a drive larger than 120GB. And that size is pathetic, considering all of the content you can download or put on the drive. And now, MS will release a 250GB drive for like $250. All they have done this generation is put us over a barrel with shit like their drives and the massively overpriced wireless network adapter.[/QUOTE]

rant on

I refuse to get reamed up the *ss to buy a way overpriced 120GB or 60GB drive for my 360 so I have the space to store more Digital Downloads that takes even more money out of my pocket and stuffs it into M$'s coffers.

When an external 2.5" 500 GB drive from newegg is $90 (1), I cannot possibly fork over $109 for a 120 GB XBox 360 drive (eventhough it's the best deal so far for the 360 drive) without making my brain blow up by causing a Capt. Kirk vs. Nomad like logic loop (2) when I try to resolve my CAGness with such a rip off.

rant off

(1) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822101119

(2) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nomad_(Star_Trek)

If anyone is interested i have 4 120gb hdds that i got from gamestop in my tl. Im lookibg for trades and such.

[quote name='Vcize']Why are you downloading them on the PSN instead? Because you can put any hard drive in your PS3?

You realize you can do that in the 360 too, right? It just caps it at 120gb so you can't put a 500 gigger or something in there, but you can grab a 120gb hard drive for like 45 bucks and pop it in there just fine. It doesn't even void your warranty.[/QUOTE]

My PS3 came with a 60 gig so it isn't full, but yes I can easily change hard drives when the 60 gig fills up.

I could easily upgrade my drive to a 120 gig (http://www.pcworld.com/article/150970/upgrade_your_xbox_360s_hard_drive_on_the_cheap.html), but I have decided not to. Instead I'm voting with my wallet and not buying games or content on live (except in very rare circumstances). I don't think it is fair to take advantage of you less tech advanced customer's. I wish CheapyD would call out MS for this issue. Maybe other podcasts/websites would do the same. If enough people who have both systems stop buying content on live MS would be forced to change their position. However, it won't happen until both negative publicity and a dip in their numbers are shown IMO.

This is a great deal guys. I bought one a few months ago for $122 shipped from buy.com. I then sold the transfer kit that comes with it and my old 20gig drive for around $30 each. So at the end you're going to get this for the price of a $60 game.

If it already hasn't been mentioned, it's $80 at Gamestop B&M with edge and 10% off coupon (which expires today).

I'm literally at 100 MB, and my xbox somehow wrecked my copy of Fallout 3 (just stopped mid game and won't boot up) so I'm kinda forced to upgrade lol.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']It's not officially-supported, it isn't as easy as it is with the PS3 (though still quite easy), and you can't put it a drive larger than 120GB. And that size is pathetic, considering all of the content you can download or put on the drive. And now, MS will release a 250GB drive for like $250. All they have done this generation is put us over a barrel with shit like their drives and the massively overpriced wireless network adapter.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%. I bought a 120GB Elite HD (black case) from Ebay for $65 shipped. It works great so far. I also bought a 30ft LAN cable and ran it through the wall to my router. I refuse to pay for overpriced "accessories" (necessities).

i can't believe they charge this price for these things just so you can spend more money on things lol.

[quote name='cheapps3gamer']Thats the cheapest way to get it and also the smartest way to do, only thing is that it will take some time to set it up.[/QUOTE]

Would like to do it that way, but my only concern is the data I could lose. Since the new drive is in the old case and the old drive with all the data is just lying around. The only other way around this I can think of is using a memory card, but I don't have a big enough one to store all my game data.

Any other ways around this?

[quote name='Monsta Mack']I wonder whats taking MS so long to get on with a 500gig or 1Terra drive[/QUOTE]

They're afraid of people dying from sticker shock. In Xbox hard drive cost those would start at $699.99. :lol:

I swapped my 20GB for a 120 Scorpio I bought for about $50 at MicroCenter. It was not much more difficult than swapping a PC HDD, if you google you will find some tutorials, I don't remember which I used, might have been a video tut on youtube too. The only problem I ran into was the new drive wouldn't take the firmware from the old drive. I had to acquire one through bit torrent, then it worked fine. If it wasn't for the firmware hiccup it wouldve taken about a half hour. Your PC will need SATA and you need some very small torx bits. Good luck!

[quote name='Shredso']I swapped my 20GB for a 120 Scorpio I bought for about $50 at MicroCenter. It was not much more difficult than swapping a PC HDD, if you google you will find some tutorials, I don't remember which I used, might have been a video tut on youtube too. The only problem I ran into was the new drive wouldn't take the firmware from the old drive. I had to acquire one through bit torrent, then it worked fine. If it wasn't for the firmware hiccup it wouldve taken about a half hour. Your PC will need SATA and you need some very small torx bits. Good luck![/QUOTE]

You had to acquire the firmware through bittorent because no one can use the 20 GB firmware to make the 120 GB properly function.

bread's done
Back