Xbox 360 and the VGA connection.

ninju D

CAGiversary!
I finally made the jump and got an HD TV and I am loving it, but I got my Xbox last year before Microsoft began putting HDMI connectors on them. I want to get all my 1080p's out of my system! Does any one have any experience with the VGA connectors? I've read some user reviews saying the colors get washed out a bunch. Also there was something on IGN about compatability issues when using the VGA with Sony displays (I have a Bravia)? Anyway, help a brother out!

Edit: Mods, feel free to move this if nessicary. I didn't think about it at the time, but this probably belongs in the general thread.

What Bravis TV did you get?
VGA on the non-HDMI Xboxs is DEFINITELY the way to go @ 720p. Much less washing then with Component. No clue @ 1080 res (my tv does 720 native res.)

I got the 40" Bravia KDL-40V2500 LCD as a CyberMonday deal for $1200. It is sooooo sweet! Nobody tell my GF, but I think I'm in love!;)

I don't know how much I agree with this... Your component cables can do 720p (but because of copyright concerns you won't get DVD playback over component at anything over 480p).

I'd imagine the "washing out" would have more to do with the picture settings on the different inputs.

More to the point, my Sony KDE A42 doesn't like the VGA input -- it leaves borders at normal aspect ratio and when I zoom in it crops the edges. Maybe it's just my set, but it's very annoying and I much prefer component for that reason.

[quote name='Lupuri']What Bravis TV did you get?
VGA on the non-HDMI Xboxs is DEFINITELY the way to go @ 720p. Much less washing then with Component. No clue @ 1080 res (my tv does 720 native res.)[/quote]

The wash out via VGA seems to depend on your TV. I have a Samsung and it seems that they have one of the better VGA inputs. I don't have any color wash out and the picture looks great.

As far as getting 1080p, that will also depend on your your TV. You'll need to check your manual and see what the max resolution is for your VGA input. My TV can do 1280x720, so I get the magic of 720p.

I believe your TV would need to support 1980x1080 to support 1080p. Not 100% sure on this, so hopefully someone running 1080p via VGA can verify and chime in.

bread's done
Back