XBOX 360 Arcade w/20GB HDD for $134.99 at macmall [REFURB]

I've never had an issue but I know thousands of others had issues. I bet the next XBOX will be the highlight of technological prowess, ha ha.

[quote name='Ultra Woody']I've never had an issue but I know thousands of others had issues. I bet the next XBOX will be the highlight of technological prowess, ha ha.[/QUOTE]
Or come with a good warranty at least.

Kinda funny how RROD also helps keep people buying new 360s as opposed to used ones.

[quote name='Ultra Woody']I've never had an issue but I know thousands of others had issues. I bet the next XBOX will be the highlight of technological prowess, ha ha.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, seriously. I've gone through two systems, three head sets, and just about every one of my 360 pads has had one issue or another. Definitely not buying Microsoft's next gen console until I can be certain they don't gimp out on the hardware.

[quote name='BarrettSan'] I'm on my FIFTH system.[/QUOTE]

You sir, are crowned "Champion of the Stubborn Folk". I would have sold out after the second failure.

[quote name='snives']You sir, are crowned "Champion of the Stubborn Folk". I would have sold out after the second failure.[/QUOTE]

It's hard to forego my 360 game collection, especially all of the Guitar Hero/Rock Band games and their corresponding plastic instruments. :cry:

[quote name='BarrettSan']It's hard to forego my 360 game collection, especially all of the Guitar Hero/Rock Band games and their corresponding plastic instruments. :cry:[/QUOTE]

That's how I feel. My original console died, and I am fairly certain the refurb I got from MS is gonna die soon. I have a little bit more time on the warranty, but if I have issues beyond that, I will probably go against my better judgment and pick up an Arcade unit, just because I have already invested so much into the 360.

[quote name='Apathetic-Irony']Definitely not buying Microsoft's next gen console until I can be certain they don't gimp out on the hardware.[/QUOTE]

Indeed.

My 360 just got sent ub yesterday. It is my second RRoD, not too bad compared to most (sad statement on the affiars of 360 hardware).

Also, what abuot banned consoles, is it possible you may get on of those via this route?

[quote name='BarrettSan']It's hard to forego my 360 game collection, especially all of the Guitar Hero/Rock Band games and their corresponding plastic instruments. :cry:[/QUOTE]

Ebay all of them as a package and get a Sony. It'd probably be cheaper than buying it 5 times... and many of those things are on the ps3 too.

I'm pretty lucky with my 360 so far, but I've only had it for several months.

Could your problems have been solved with the X-Clamp fix, perchance? How did they die?

[quote name='Trinary']Ebay all of them as a package and get a Sony. It'd probably be cheaper than buying it 5 times... and many of those things are on the ps3 too.
[/QUOTE]

Depending on your collection, it would cost you way more to replace all your games with PS3 versions (if possible) by selling it on ebay. Ebay's fees are ridiculous.

[quote name='Trinary']Ebay all of them as a package and get a Sony. It'd probably be cheaper than buying it 5 times... and many of those things are on the ps3 too.

I'm pretty lucky with my 360 so far, but I've only had it for several months.

Could your problems have been solved with the X-Clamp fix, perchance? How did they die?[/QUOTE]

I picked up a PS3 at the SonyStyle sale, so it's all going to Craigslist if this one dies. ;)

They talked about this on the destructoid podcast recently. Once you have a live subscription, an avatar, a gamerscore, a list of friends, ect, its is a little hard to let go of what you have accumulated over the years. Not to mention controllers, webcams, memory cards, cables, adapters, headsets, ect that you would have to replace along with your disc based games, add on DLC, and Live arcade games you paid for. Once you are invested, Microsoft has you by the balls and they know it.

[quote name='Purkeynator']They talked about this on the destructoid podcast recently. Once you have a live subscription, an avatar, a gamerscore, a list of friends, ect, its is a little hard to let go of what you have accumulated over the years. Not to mention controllers, webcams, memory cards, cables, adapters, headsets, ect that you would have to replace along with your disc based games, add on DLC, and Live arcade games you paid for. Once you are invested, Microsoft has you by the balls and they know it.[/QUOTE]

True. Like an MMORPG, though, most people have a breaking point, where they'll move on to the next thing if they have to.

I switched my rock band/guitar hero system from 360 to wii and never looked back. Im on my 5th or 6th 360, lost count.

[quote name='snives']You sir, are crowned "Champion of the Stubborn Folk". I would have sold out after the second failure.[/QUOTE]

This, I did.

After my second 360 bit the dust, I went PS3 and promote boycotting 360 when ever possible.

MacMall has been around for at least 20 years....my college used to order equipment for our Macs in the 90's.

It amazes me that my launch 360 hasn't died yet. Tho everytime my kids are on it for a couple of hours, I feel its that much closer to death!

[quote name='XClaude']This, I did.

After my second 360 bit the dust, I went PS3 and promote boycotting 360 when ever possible.[/QUOTE]
Not to start a riot or anything but the PS3 is also prone to failure, YLOD or in my case, the Blu-ray drive failed completely.

So while the rates of 360 failures are high, the PS3 is not immune from failure nor is the Wii.

I buy my consoles from COSTCO.
If they fail, even five years from now, Costco takes it back without a hitch. Don't even need your receipt.

I've had 0 failures in 2 years...My bro has had 2, though, since launch.

yea but the ps3 failure rate is 8% Xbox 360 has been around 50%

If I remember correctly the Wii failure rate is 5%

Regardless of the rates to think that just because you have a Wii or a PS3 makes you immune from failure is naive. Not only do they fail, when they do it's costly considering neither system has a warranty that lasts longer than one year. So yes, the 360 is the fail whale, this we all know. But at least MS stepped up and added a 3 warranty and a DRM transfer solution.

The RROD is kind of a genius technical fault. Think about it - Microsoft has the market under control because nobody wants to risk buying a used unit, even when they're dirt cheap and usually come with additional perks, and most people don't complain because there's a 3 year warranty. Perhaps they didn't make the fault on purpose, but it makes you wonder.

[quote name='BarrettSan']Until the next console cycle... Fool me once...[/QUOTE]

They're not dumb -- all that stuff (gamerscore, probably arcade games, etc) is going to transfer right over.

MS service is pretty good now that they finally came around. Lots of people (who've had multiple systems replaced) have a free warranty across the board (for any repair) into perpetuity, and don't even know it. I learned this after pricing repairs for my out-of-warranty 360, noticing they were all $0.00, and asking around.

[quote name='Snap']Regardless of the rates to think that just because you have a Wii or a PS3 makes you immune from failure is naive. Not only do they fail, when they do it's costly considering neither system has a warranty that lasts longer than one year. So yes, the 360 is the fail whale, this we all know. But at least MS stepped up and added a 3 warranty and a DRM transfer solution.[/QUOTE]

I never claimed going wii or ps3 route would immunize me from failure. I'm well aware that there is no perfect production line. Failure rate will happen with ANY device. However, given how I've first hand experience two failures and many more claiming to have replaced their system 3+ times... AND seeing for myself the engineering blunder in regards to proper cooling on the 360's GPU. It's poor component placement. Being a heavy PC overclocker myself, I'm well aware of the heat+cooling/exhaust scenario, so I've personally opened up my system(all warranties are out anyways) to attempt at providing better cooling to the GPU... To my dismay, which ever way I direct the air current, there's always a vital component taking the hit of the excess heat.(be it the scaller chip, memory chips, or... the gpu itself...) As I'm not a circuit board designer, I can't say if the components can be repositioned, but in its current configuration and the massive amount of heat generated that needs to escape somehow... it's inevitable that one of the vital components will be engulfed in the excess heat and will become overheat. This may have changed and remedy the situation to some extend with the shrink in GPU and CPU die, but the engineering feat is without a doubt, still poor.

It certainly makes much more sense for me to steer clear of such engineering feat and advice my fellow gamers with my opinion. I do apologize for the wall-to-text/rant, but seeing the word "naive" thrown out is a bit ticklish.

And... without derailing much further from the thread... I still stand by my statement that purchasing a refurbished 360 unit, which probably has the larger die sizes producing more heat than say a Jasper unit, is not wise in anyway.

I switched from being a dedicated 360 owner to a PS3 after my 2nd RRoD and the fail DRM issues prior to them fixing it recently. But as I said, I then had my PS3 fail, thankfully it was still under warranty. And now that it's not, I have to say I'm more fearful of the PS3 failing then my 3rd 360. I know I'm covered if my 360 fails by the warranty and by the DRM transfer solution. If my PS3 were to fail, I could potentially lose data due to locked save files and Sony's wishy washy DRM policies.

[quote name='morphineseason']The RROD is kind of a genius technical fault. Think about it - Microsoft has the market under control because nobody wants to risk buying a used unit, even when they're dirt cheap and usually come with additional perks, and most people don't complain because there's a 3 year warranty. Perhaps they didn't make the fault on purpose, but it makes you wonder.[/QUOTE]

Since the hardware manufacturers typically don't make "bank" on their systems like they do the games, they definitely don't want this at all. If they did not have the RROD at all, what would the Sony fanboys be able to say at all? RROD has kept them with good vitriol for years now.

A guy I know just had his launch PS3, which he paid $650 for (must've bought a 2nd pad) die on him a few weeks ago and it cost $150 for him to repair. Bummer.

My April 2006 X360 RRoDed in March 2007 (just after they'd extended the warranty to 1 year) and again in June 2008 (after they'd gone 3 years on the warranty). I'm about to sell it to my friend since it's been boxed since I got other X360s.

I bought a Falcon X360 in April 2008 to play GTA IV at home (1st one was at g/f's place) and then bought the Christmas 2008 bundle (Lego Indy/King Fu Panda) in November to get a 60GB drive. The first Falcon rotated to the g/f's and the original X360 was retired as a backup which it was needed when the damn GTA-bought one RRoDed in Sprint 2009.

I now have an Elite at home, bought because it was cheap with the $50 rebate and Meijer sale, and I was sick of having the only component in my home theater that wasn't black being the Xbox 360. While I've bought four X360s over 3-1/2 years, all have been upgrades, not replacements.

All the people who are proclaiming they're going to flee to the PS3 should know that they'll be giving up the best gamepad ever for the worst ever along with all the other deficiencies in performance and online capability. Seriously, who makes a convex trigger that the player's fingers slide right off, not to mention the terrible placement of the joysticks? They were put there over a decade ago when they were tacked onto the PS1's pad and they've never moved them since, as if ergonomics never made it to Japan.

[quote name='Ultra Woody']XBOX 360 Arcade w/20GB HDD for $134.99 (refurbished) at MacMall.com. Not sure if comes with Microsoft's 3-year warranty for RROD/E74. Might want to inquire with site before purchase.[/QUOTE]

Looks like only a one year warranty based on what I found at the xbox support site. I'd post a link, but my account is new and I'm not allowed to. Google refurbished xbox warranty and it's the first link.

I've been patiently waiting for this gen to have more affordable hardware...so bummed I missed the Wal-Mart/Amazon deal a few weeks ago. $135 w/ HDD is a pretty good price, but I'm scared to buy refurb after hearing so many of my friends have problems.

I've never had a 360 RRoD on me so far, but I think that may be more due to the fact that I tend to buy a 360, sell it half a year later for some reason or another, and re-buy another. Out of the 3 or 4 360s I've gone through, only 1 of them was bought new. I have no qualms with buying a used 360 if the price is cheap enough.

Im on my 11th 360 so any 360 without atleast a 2 year warranty is not recommened lol not even a new store bought one unless it has a warranty.

MacMall Doesn't specify whether or not it comes with a wireless controller. Other than that, it looks like a really good deal. Good find OP.

Edit: Oops, it actually does. The package contents are listed under the link "Technical Specs".

Friend had to replace his 360 thrice, never had any problems with the MS customer support. His PS3 drive failed after just under 2 years, and Sony gave him hell and wanted him to pay for shipping, and repair costs. He still has not sent it back for repairs. Pick your poison. High failure rates and excellent return/replace policy or low failure rates and horrible customer support.

Personally, I would pick option #1 and for all we know the new models dont have that original 50% failure rate. At the very least I know that I will never have to pay for repairs or shipping and if I had to replace the system, the warranty starts anew and I get another 2-3 years of support. My friend bought his 360 on release day and still has full support.

bread's done
Back