Xbox 360 Component Video Problem. Covered by MS Warranty?

OGHowie

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
I've had my 360 since December hooked up to a plasma using the Component video connection in HDTV mode running at 720p and 1080i at times. It had worked flawlessly until now. After spending more time gaming this month since I got Oblivion, it has started to have problems with the video. Sometimes it will seem like it's losing one of the colors through the component cables but then it will look fine after. Kinda like a green tint will be over everything but after awhile it will go back to normal. This happens when I play Oblivion and when I'm in the dashboard.

I checked the connections and everything seems to be in order. I am running the cables through a Pioneer Receiver. Everything worked perfect before and I have not added or disconnected any connections to my home theater since then.

I purchased Microsoft's extended warranty, but does it cover the cables if that happens to be the problem?

[quote name='OGHowie']I've had my 360 since December hooked up to a plasma using the Component video connection in HDTV mode running at 720p and 1080i at times. It had worked flawlessly until now. After spending more time gaming this month since I got Oblivion, it has started to have problems with the video. Sometimes it will seem like it's losing one of the colors through the component cables but then it will look fine after. Kinda like a green tint will be over everything but after awhile it will go back to normal. This happens when I play Oblivion and when I'm in the dashboard.

I checked the connections and everything seems to be in order. I am running the cables through a Pioneer Receiver. Everything worked perfect before and I have not added or disconnected any connections to my home theater since then.

I purchased Microsoft's extended warranty, but does it cover the cables if that happens to be the problem?[/QUOTE]

I assume you've tried just disconnecting and reconnecting the cables on all ends? Usually that's the issue with the green tint. If not, yeah, the cables should be warranteed.

I know that m$ bump there basic warranty from 90 days to 6 months so you might still be covered on the original warranty.

[quote name='OGHowie']I purchased Microsoft's extended warranty, but does it cover the cables if that happens to be the problem?[/QUOTE]

Everything included with your 360 is covered, including but not limited to the cables, headset, controller. So it should be no problem getting it replaced.

I had a similar problem where just this friday my 360 would only play for a minute or two and then the picture would freeze but it was really grainy. I called the hotline and they told me to switch to the original cables, the next day it got worse. I got 3 red lights and they told me to expect the box later on this week.

I did already try reconnecting the cables to see if that would fix the problem.

I don't have the dreaded red lights yet and this has been going on for about 2-3 weeks now. Hopefully, I won't have to send the xbox in and they'll be able to just replace the cables when I give MS customer service a call.

However, I don't really see any other way except buying new cables to make sure that it is the cables at fault and not the system.

bread's done
Back