Xbox 360 console purchase advice

The Stuff

CAGiversary!
I've been playing games on a super old Xbox 360 that gets rrod every couple months for about a year. It was free so I can't complain. Anyway, It finally died for good a couple weeks ago, and after many hours of trying repeatedly to bring it back I finally accepted the fact that my lover... I mean, my Xbox 360, is dead. :( I don't know why it keeps over heating! I even put like a whole tube of thermal paste all over and around the CPU! Anyway, I see the holiday bundle for $272 on amazon which seems like an amazing deal. So, my question is: Is there any reason I shouldn't get this bundle next week? Maybe there is an upcoming price drop I don't know about or a better bundle coming out soon? Also it should be disclosed that I am apparently addicted to video games because I'm starting to shake and twitch in anticipation of playing through Bayonetta (again) and Skyrim (for the first time) so I'm gonna buy it next week no matter you say.

I would suggest possibly buying one used from warehouse deals if you don't mind buying a used console as most of the time they just have had boxes damaged in shipping, but you will save 40-70 dollars. Also highly unlikely, but check your local target to see if they still have holiday bundles as they still are at $199. Hope I helped!

I'd wait at least one more week (02/20 to be exact).

On the 20th Sony is supposedly gong to announce the PS4 which may cause some of the current gen consoles to drop in price shortly.

@vantheman Those are exactly the kinds of deals I knew I might be missing. I didn't even know about warehouse deals so that's good to know. I'll check that and both Targets and maybe I'll get lucky. Thanks! If I end up paying full price for it then I'll feel good about it as long as I looked everywhere for a deal first.

@antlp89 I had that same idea last week after I found out about the Sony Feb. 20 announcement. But, then I read an article today somewhere that quoted some Microsoft guy saying not to expect a price cut any time soon. I think I'll still take your advice and wait and see what happens after the Sony announcement. If there are rumors of a new bundle or price cut SOON then I'll consider waiting.

Normally I'd recommend buying a used console, I did that with my Wii, but with the 360 and all the issues it's had, I'd be wary about not getting a full warranty with a used version. I know the new ones are a lot more reliable, but I'd hate to see you have issues with your new xbox right after your old one just bit the dust.

If you want both the games the holiday bundle seems like a pretty good deal, nothing crazy, but it seems like except for a few sales from time to time, consoles don't move around a lot in price. I'd still wait until the 20th, since it's so close, but I wouldn't feel too bad pulling the trigger for $272 if the price doesn't end up dropping.

I had considered getting a used one but decided to go with a new one for warranty reasons and because I really look forward to the whole unboxing process. Also, considering the fact that the new consoles are coming out late this year, I'm hoping this one will last me the rest of this generation's life cycle. I have decided to go ahead and get the holiday bundle after the 20th. I wish it had died in November or December so I could have caught either Black Friday or Christmas deals.

cowboom.com has been having some good priced 360's lately, if you don't mind getting a used 360, id definitely check out cowboom

I would recommend buying a new one rather than a used (or worse, "refurbished", which usually just means it was definitely broke and someone "fixed" it) one. I'm very paranoid, I know, but you never know how the previous owner treated the system. Did they leave it on all the time? Did they travel with it a lot? Was their house infested with insects that are now, literally, inhabiting the system? You have to figure if they got rid of the system then it didn't mean that much to them.

I know, I'm paranoid, I don't like buying used games either. But something as expensive as a game console, IMHO I would 'splurge' and buy a new one, especially if it's going to be your primary system. If you have a HDD already, you could just go the cheap route and buy a new 4GB model, and put your HDD in the new Xbox. If you are upgrading from a "phat" Xbox to the new slimmer model, there are HDD enclosures you can buy on eBay for about $5 that you can put your old HDD (you'll have to take it out of its original enclosure first) in and then put into the new Xbox. Lots of Youtube videos on that process too.

Anyway, that's my advice, for what it's worth. Happy gaming!

@Alien Spider I agree with everything you said. I didn't know it was possible to use my current hard drive, but it's only 20gb so the upgrade to 250 will be nice.

@TKSJOHN I am going to go with a new Xbox 360 but I will definitely check out that site for other products in the future. Thanks!

[quote name='The Stuff']I've been playing games on a super old Xbox 360 that gets rrod every couple months for about a year. It was free so I can't complain. Anyway, It finally died for good a couple weeks ago, and after many hours of trying repeatedly to bring it back I finally accepted the fact that my lover... I mean, my Xbox 360, is dead. :( I don't know why it keeps over heating! I even put like a whole tube of thermal paste all over and around the CPU! Anyway, I see the holiday bundle for $272 on amazon which seems like an amazing deal. So, my question is: Is there any reason I shouldn't get this bundle next week? Maybe there is an upcoming price drop I don't know about or a better bundle coming out soon? Also it should be disclosed that I am apparently addicted to video games because I'm starting to shake and twitch in anticipation of playing through Bayonetta (again) and Skyrim (for the first time) so I'm gonna buy it next week no matter you say.[/QUOTE]

Well, I'd take a break for the twitching alone, but yeah, it's an awesome deal. I got it back when it was $250, and am loving it. Just so you know, Skyrim is a download code, and Forza is the "Essentials" version (missing about 500 cars). Other than that, it's a great deal, though I wouldn't be surprised if a price drop happens soon after the Nextbox/720 is announced. Seems you've already made up your mind though, so happy gaming (but take a break every couple hours, those epilepsy warnings are there for a reason...)

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']Well, I'd take a break for the twitching alone, but yeah, it's an awesome deal. I got it back when it was $250, and am loving it. Just so you know, Skyrim is a download code, and Forza is the "Essentials" version (missing about 500 cars). Other than that, it's a great deal, though I wouldn't be surprised if a price drop happens soon after the Nextbox/720 is announced. Seems you've already made up your mind though, so happy gaming (but take a break every couple hours, those epilepsy warnings are there for a reason...)[/QUOTE]

I just realized there's a "quote" button! Awesome! Yeah, I would prefer a physical copy of Skyrim but it's not a deal breaker for me. I've been rotating Lost Odyssey and a few other games off and on my 20gb hard drive for so long it'll be nice to download Skyrim and leave it there. I've never played a Forza game because I've always preferred arcade style racing so the essentials pack being included will force me to check it out. I played Burnout Paradise into the ground!

[quote name='The Stuff']I've been playing games on a super old Xbox 360 that gets rrod every couple months for about a year. It was free so I can't complain. Anyway, It finally died for good a couple weeks ago, and after many hours of trying repeatedly to bring it back I finally accepted the fact that my lover... I mean, my Xbox 360, is dead. :( I don't know why it keeps over heating! I even put like a whole tube of thermal paste all over and around the CPU! Anyway, I see the holiday bundle for $272 on amazon which seems like an amazing deal. So, my question is: Is there any reason I shouldn't get this bundle next week? Maybe there is an upcoming price drop I don't know about or a better bundle coming out soon? Also it should be disclosed that I am apparently addicted to video games because I'm starting to shake and twitch in anticipation of playing through Bayonetta (again) and Skyrim (for the first time) so I'm gonna buy it next week no matter you say.[/QUOTE]

If you don't mind buying used, I'd suggest watching Cowboom for the next big sale and use the extra money you'd save on games. I think you'll be safe if you buy one that's rated 6 or higher.

Crap! I JUST ordered it from amazon and about five minutes later I see that it's on sale at newegg for $30 less! Gonna see if amazon will cancel...

[quote name='The Stuff']Crap! I JUST ordered it from amazon and about five minutes later I see that it's on sale at newegg for $30 less! Gonna see if amazon will cancel...[/QUOTE]
you can cancel, just go into your order and do so asap

Yep they canceled the order with no problems. Went to newegg and got it for $239.99! Also signed up for a free 30 day trial of shoprunner so I got free 2 day shipping! :)

bread's done
Back