xBox 360 Controller for PC

Full_Throttle

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Hey all,

I have a couple of games for PC which are also for the 360 (CoD2, Oblivion) and some games which were direct ports from PS2. Considering I'll also be building myself an HD projector this summer, it seems practical to keep things neat and cool and get a controller instead of having to sit next to a hot computer when the screen is the other way.

My question is, would an xBox 360 controller be worth buying? One of the wireless ones, that is. Has anybody tried this with PC games? When I played on my dad's friend's 360, it felt natural to have a controller. I'm wondering if it would be the same if I uesd the controller for a PC port of the game (ie are there some functions added to PC that 360 doesn't have). Anybody have any experiences with this?

Thanks in advance.

A controller helps from wrist strain, and you can customize the buttons on many games. But as far as added functions most games are the same on pc, and console when ported.

Logitech makes a great controller that costs about $20. Its shaped like a ps2 controller, and works great on many games.

I use a wired xbox 360 controller for a few games on the pc and love it. Plenty of options in terms of setting it up to play almost every game without the use of the keyboard, considering most games now just have gamepad only settings. I highly recommend it.

PenguinMaster: what about wired controllers? How long are the cords on those, and does it inhibit play in any way?

Graystone: I've looked at the Logitech ones shaped like PS2, and was planning to get one until Microsoft announced thier 360 PC controllers. In my opinion, the 360 controller has a better feel (I have slightly large hands) and looks nicer. The only thing setting me off is the price. $40 for wired, ~$90 for wireless including kits and such.

What about any other controllers, either wired or wireless, which would be good for games such as Halo 2, Mortal Kombat, Oblivion, etc?

PS
Is it possible to find the 360 button configs online, so I can set them to be the same for the PC games?

Ricochet: how is the sensitivity, and how easy is it to adjust it? I am unable to play any FPS games with my current gamepad because it's just terrible with sensitivity. It has only two settings: stop, and fast. How's the 360 PC?

EDIT: Are 360 and PS controllers that different? All I see is the left joystick and d-pad are switched on them. Would this hinder my experience? Because the Logitech wireless rumble pack gamepad runs for $20 less than 360's wireless.

I have a wired one that is made for windows... its a very nice controller. With the stuff I use it for you can easily change the sensitivity and such.

[quote name='Full_Throttle']PenguinMaster: what about wired controllers? How long are the cords on those, and does it inhibit play in any way?

Graystone: I've looked at the Logitech ones shaped like PS2, and was planning to get one until Microsoft announced thier 360 PC controllers. In my opinion, the 360 controller has a better feel (I have slightly large hands) and looks nicer. The only thing setting me off is the price. $40 for wired, ~$90 for wireless including kits and such.

What about any other controllers, either wired or wireless, which would be good for games such as Halo 2, Mortal Kombat, Oblivion, etc?

PS
Is it possible to find the 360 button configs online, so I can set them to be the same for the PC games?

Ricochet: how is the sensitivity, and how easy is it to adjust it? I am unable to play any FPS games with my current gamepad because it's just terrible with sensitivity. It has only two settings: stop, and fast. How's the 360 PC?

EDIT: Are 360 and PS controllers that different? All I see is the left joystick and d-pad are switched on them. Would this hinder my experience? Because the Logitech wireless rumble pack gamepad runs for $20 less than 360's wireless.[/quote]
Let me try to hammer some of these out for you.

I use a wired controller, as I said, and I've never had any problem with the length. I, too, have large hands and find the 360 controller just far more comfortable when playing games for a long while.

For many of the games you mentioned, the gamepad settings in the game should be identical to the console versions. If not, a quick google search will help you to easily find the layout of the console version so you can set it up in the game.

As for the sensitivity, when you first plug in the controller and install the driver from microsofts website, there's not much you can do besides messing with the windows gamepad settings (control panel->printers and other hardware->gamepad). However, after a bit of searching, i uninstalled microsofts driver and instead installed the xbcd driver (found here:http://www.redcl0ud.com/xbcd.html). This allows for multiple configurations and PLENTY of options to tweak the settings of your controller as you see fit. Here's a snapshot of xbcd:

Again, although it's a bit pricey, I suggest a wired xbox 360 controller. You could always buy used or from the trading forum to save some cash.

I'm using a 360 pad to play Tomb Raider Anniversary, and I must say I'm very impressed. Since it's under the Games for Windows line, it comes with support built in, and the button layout is identical to TR Legend on the demo I played on 360.

Nothing against PC controls, but I often suffer from wrist pain from recurring tendonitis, so it's preferred for now. Plus a 3d platformer feels more natural with a gamepad.

Can't comment on wireless since it's a wired controller, but you can get a wired one for $30 used, which isn't a bad price at all.

I can also vouch for the wired 360 controller, but only with the xbcd drivers that Ricochet mentioned 2 posts up. That little program allows for a lot of fine tuning. Not sure if xbcd is compatible with Vista, I haven't tried it yet. Although games under the "Game for Window" banner will work with the 360 controller right out of the box, buttons all mapped out for you, so maybe you won't need xbcd for vista after all.

The length of the cord is plenty long, so it shouldn't get in your way. I used it to play Silent Hill 2 since it was just too awkward using the keyboard for that type of game. Worked great.

I dunno about your wired/wireless concerns, but as far as using a 360 controller on a PC, I'd say go for it. I play a lot of Battlefield myself, and when it comes to flying, that 360 controller makes me a terror of the skies. I get a ridiculous amount of precision and control with a controller than I cannot get over a keyboard.

Switch to a keyboard if you go on foot or aim a tank, but controller for fast land vehicles or air combat, it's a must.

~HotShotX

Oblivion has HORRIBLE support for gamepads on the PC. There is a way to get it working with a 360 controller, but it never got set up quite right for me, no matter how much I tinkered with it.

TBW

i use mine for gametap. Its a wired controller. Everything works just great. I don't think i would use gametap half the time if i didnt have the controller. Then finding 3rd person games for cheaper on computer, is much better to play on the 360 controller.

Hmmm... thanks to all for the posts. Sounds like the wired version is the way to go. My only problem is that I don't have USB 2.0 on my current computer (hoping to upgarde this summer). Would I experience lag on the controller if I plugged it into an old version of USB?

Well, has anyone tried using xbcd for Oblivion? That's one of the games I look forward to using a controller with. I'd be rather disappointed if I didn't get it to work at all.

Before I get it: has anyone tried both wired and wireless, and can comment if one was better than the other?

OH! And does the rumble function work when it's supposed to, ie when tanks go over you in CoD2?

[quote name='Full_Throttle']Hmmm... thanks to all for the posts. Sounds like the wired version is the way to go. My only problem is that I don't have USB 2.0 on my current computer (hoping to upgarde this summer). Would I experience lag on the controller if I plugged it into an old version of USB?[/QUOTE]

No, you won't see any lag. USB is really just for convenience. Old serial joypads used to work fine, and USB is leaps and bounds faster. The computer just sees it as another keyboard, really.

Do I need a receiver if I already have a charge and play kit. Can't I just plug that in my computer directly and use it as if it was a wired controller? I skimmed through the above posts and didn't relaly see an answer to that.

Beleive it or not, I still use the original Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro Gamepad that was released some umpteen years ago. It plugged into my original MIDI port on my soundcard. 3 PC's later, I have since replaced it with a USB adapter. I contol the gamepad with my left thumb and move/aim/select with the mouse.

Heh, I invented the Wii controller...

[quote name='Gamehead']Do I need a receiver if I already have a charge and play kit. Can't I just plug that in my computer directly and use it as if it was a wired controller? I skimmed through the above posts and didn't relaly see an answer to that.[/QUOTE]

You need the reciever. Period. The charge and play cable does just what it says it does and nothing more: it supplies power for the battery and that's it. No actual data connection is made with that cable. That's been well known since the day the 360 came out.

Hmm. I'm really swaying between wireless and wired.

Pros: Wired: no battery, long cable, cheap. Wireless: no cable, long range, nothing to get tangled up.

Cons: Wired: cable short compared to wireless range, might tangle. Wireless: battery life, pricey.

Could someone make the decision for me?

[quote name='Full_Throttle']Hmm. I'm really swaying between wireless and wired.

Pros: Wired: no battery, long cable, cheap. Wireless: no cable, long range, nothing to get tangled up.

Cons: Wired: cable short compared to wireless range, might tangle. Wireless: battery life, pricey.

Could someone make the decision for me?[/QUOTE]

I would just get the wired, save $10 on the controller and I think another $10-20 on the wireless reciever thing. Unless you really want/need to sit more than 7ft from your computer, i would just save the money.

Go wireless and get a play and charge (or a quick charge kit -- $23.99 shipped at Deep Discount which comes with an extra battery). Unless you're going for some epic gaming sessions (10-12+ hours per day with headset use), I doubt you'll run out of battery. You can always just pop it in the quick charge overnight, or have it plugged in with the play and charge on your PC to charge while you sleep. Plus, for me, the wired controllers feels too light.

madportagee: I honestly have no idea if I will need to sit 7' away from the computer. Thing is that I'll be using this on a projector I'll be building, so plans are still in the making. No idea what'll come out of it.

SteveMcQ: what's the difference between quick charge and play and charge? Does quick charge refill battery faster but with less juice in it?

The play and charge is just a USB adapter cable that you can plug into any USB capable device to use your controller while charging it at the same time. However, the cable isn't all that long so if you wanna play while it's hooked up, you'll still have to be close to the USB source. Keep in mind, that though it hooks up a wireless controller to a USB port on your PC, it doesn't make it compatible with PC games. The cable only charges the controller. All the data is still transmitted wirelessly (is that a word?).

The quick charge kit is a battery charging station. It does bring the battery to a full charge quicker (something like two hours for one battery, I think). The advantage is that it comes with an extra rechargeable battery. So you can have one set in your controller and have another on the side charging so you can just swap out when one runs out. I don't believe there's a difference between the two as far as the charge capacity they give to the batteries.

would the wireless usb adapter let me use my 360's wireless headset for ventrillo? if so im sold

edit
oh.. my 360 is right next to my pc.. would that be a pain with my 360 starting up when i want to use my pc or vice versa?

[quote name='Baylro']would the wireless usb adapter let me use my 360's wireless headset for ventrillo? if so im sold

edit
oh.. my 360 is right next to my pc.. would that be a pain with my 360 starting up when i want to use my pc or vice versa?[/quote]

using the 360's wireless headset on the pc is kinda crappy..i read a review where ALL of the pc audio came out through the wireless headset when you used it and none through the speakers

The wired 360 controller is awesome for PC use. I've had it for about 2 years. I mostly use it for Halo 1, PS1 / CPS1+2 emulation. HADO-KEN! I love the D-Pad, it rocks - very responsive, not so much on XBL Arcade though.

I don't have to worry about batteries, and I know I'll have an extra controller when I finally buy my 360.

The only bad thing I would have to say about the 360 controller is that it's not Plug & Play on WinXP. By that I mean, You'll always need a drivers disk handy or an internet connection to install the drivers on someone else's PC.

I also have the Logitech wireless controller (ps2 shape/ black), picked it up because the 360 controller wasn't compatible with Devil May Cry 3. So I've mostly just used that one for other console ports (Sonic Heroes, Prince of Persia, etc). it's somewhat Plug & Play, but it's more responsive if you install the updated drivers disk. STAY AWAY from the blue wired logitech, it sucks. Very cheaply made, not responsive enough.

I also have a 3rd controller,it's a small six button Microsoft Sidewinder USB controller from the Win98 days. Its Plug & Play in XP, and works awesome with SNES & Neo Geo emulation.

[quote name='level1online']The wired 360 controller is awesome for PC use. I've had it for about 2 years. I mostly use it for Halo 1, PS1 / CPS1+2 emulation. HADO-KEN! I love the D-Pad, it rocks - very responsive, not so much on XBL Arcade though.

I don't have to worry about batteries, and I know I'll have an extra controller when I finally buy my 360.

The only bad thing I would have to say about the 360 controller is that it's not Plug & Play on WinXP. By that I mean, You'll always need a drivers disk handy or an internet connection to install the drivers on someone else's PC.

I also have the Logitech wireless controller (ps2 shape/ black), picked it up because the 360 controller wasn't compatible with Devil May Cry 3. So I've mostly just used that one for other console ports (Sonic Heroes, Prince of Persia, etc). it's somewhat Plug & Play, but it's more responsive if you install the updated drivers disk. STAY AWAY from the blue wired logitech, it sucks. Very cheaply made, not responsive enough.

I also have a 3rd controller,it's a small six button Microsoft Sidewinder USB controller from the Win98 days. Its Plug & Play in XP, and works awesome with SNES & Neo Geo emulation.[/quote]

Hey, thanks for all the info. Does anyone know of a place that reviews how certain games perform with the 360 controller? I am interested in picking up games such as: Tomb Raider Legend/Anniversary, Psychonauts, RE4, etc. I'd just like to know how they perform first.

[quote name='dragonreborn23']Hey, thanks for all the info. Does anyone know of a place that reviews how certain games perform with the 360 controller? I am interested in picking up games such as: Tomb Raider Legend/Anniversary, Psychonauts, RE4, etc. I'd just like to know how they perform first.[/quote]

well, from what I heard, RE4 on PC doesn't support controllers. I think you might need a mod for that. When I played Psychonauts, it did support the 360 controller, and the framerrate was a bit smother. I think it may have been because the mouse and its constant movement puts more stress on a PC (?), as opposed to the 360 analog stick that only only has four directions.

Anyways, do you have Vista? Are you thinking of getting Halo 2/Shadowrun?

[quote name='level1online']well, from what I heard, RE4 on PC doesn't support controllers. I think you might need a mod for that. When I played Psychonauts, it did support the 360 controller, and the framerrate was a bit smother. I think it may have been because the mouse and its constant movement puts more stress on a PC (?), as opposed to the 360 analog stick that only only has four directions.

Anyways, do you have Vista? Are you thinking of getting Halo 2/Shadowrun?[/quote]

No, I won't upgrade to Vista for quite awhile, yet. I think I will pick up Psychonauts, I've wanted that one for sometime now.

What kind of range does the wireless 360 PC controller have? I want to play PC games running through my HDTV while my PC is about 20 - 30 feet away and around a corner.

[quote name='level1online']well, from what I heard, RE4 on PC doesn't support controllers. I think you might need a mod for that. When I played Psychonauts, it did support the 360 controller, and the framerrate was a bit smother. I think it may have been because the mouse and its constant movement puts more stress on a PC (?), as opposed to the 360 analog stick that only only has four directions.

Anyways, do you have Vista? Are you thinking of getting Halo 2/Shadowrun?[/quote]
Are you sure about RE4? I read in many forums that RE4 isn't very playable with kb/m and a controller is preferred. I never picked up RE4 for the PC because I have the Gamecube version.

I use a wired Xbox 360 controller with many Gametap games and with N64 emulation. Newer "Games For Windows" games work perfectly with it. The cable has to be the longest of any controller I've ever used. While it's great for HTPC gaming, the cable sometimes gets in the way for desktop pc gaming.

[quote name='mogamer']Are you sure about RE4? I read in many forums that RE4 isn't very playable with kb/m and a controller is preferred. I never picked up RE4 for the PC because I have the Gamecube version.

I use a wired Xbox 360 controller with many Gametap games and with N64 emulation. Newer "Games For Windows" games work perfectly with it. The cable has to be the longest of any controller I've ever used. While it's great for HTPC gaming, the cable sometimes gets in the way for desktop pc gaming.[/quote]

Sorry, sorry, my mistake. It's actually the other way around.

You're right, a controller is preferred for RE4 on PC.

I wrote a guide on buying and using XBOX 360 and other console controllers with a PC. I also provided links to buy the necessary components, download the drivers and any notes on compatibility or functionality. Check it out:

Hamst3r's Big-Ass Guide to PC Gaming With A Gamepad.

I have the Logitech Rumblepad 2, a wireless XBOX 360 gamepad and a wireless XBOX 360 racing wheel.

[quote name='hamst3r']I wrote a guide on buying and using XBOX 360 and other console controllers with a PC. I also provided links to buy the necessary components, download the drivers and any notes on compatibility or functionality. Check it out:

Hamst3r's Big-Ass Guide to PC Gaming With A Gamepad.

I have the Logitech Rumblepad 2, a wireless XBOX 360 gamepad and a wireless XBOX 360 racing wheel.

ive been using the 360 controller for almost every pc game i own,

crysis, halo 2, geors of war, ut3, the club..

it is so convenient to use the controller...

I've both the Logitech and the 360 wireless for N64 emulator games. I end up using the 360 controller since it seems more balanced.

Just, FIY.

anybody having trouble with the xbox 360 wireless controller for windows? my controller isn't syncing at all. when i press the xbox 360 button on the controller, all four quadrant lights blink endlessly. it shouldn't take that long to sync. i've updated the software, press the connection buttons on the receiver and controller, etc., but it's still not working. anybody encounter this problem? please let me know with a PM or reply.

I spotted the Wireless receiver at target for 13.98 today. It was multiple stores for the same price so check yours even though its YMMV.

[quote name='cbotwell']I spotted the Wireless receiver at target for 13.98 today. It was multiple stores for the same price so check yours even though its YMMV.[/quote]

I too found this at target for that price today. Wasn't expecting it but there it was. So I snatched it.

Hey I gotta put the controller to good use while my 360 is on the way to Texas (RRoD)

Dragonreborn, there is a $20 program that you can download from online that is worth it's weight in gold......it's called pinnacle game profiler......pinnaclegameprofiler.com.......it's a front-end you run any game through and it maps ANY gamepad you have out like a keyboard, you can custom design your own profile, download official or user created profiles for any game and get ANY gamepad to work with ANY game.....seriously, just for giggles I created a profile for x-com 1 and it worked like a charm, it just treats your gamepad like a keyboard and allows you to map anything to it....wasd keys to left stick and mouse to the right, anything......I've used it with a wired 360 pad and I will never buy another controller again, my only regret is that I didn't get the wireless one because I have a projector also and kids who worry me that they will pull my laptop on the floor, but it's a great way to add gamepad support, runs with literally any game that your computer can run and is both xp and vista compatible......yes I know I sound like a commercial and no I am not one of the developers, I am just a long time pc gamer, and I got fed up with having like five different gamepads because only certain pads worked with certain games, and the analog sticks NEVER seemed to get mapped right before I got this program, which is why I am so hardcore about it

Sorry, not trying to beat a dead horse, but I forgot to add that I created my own profiles in pinnacle game profiler for RE4 and Psychonauts, as well as Call of Duty 4 (which I was surprised didn't ship with the 360 pad support) and they all worked flawlessly........the program works with ps2 controllers if you can hook them up, literally any gamepad will work with it

[quote name='Holy_Headshot']Dragonreborn, there is a $20 program that you can download from online that is worth it's weight in gold......it's called pinnacle game profiler......pinnaclegameprofiler.com.......it's a front-end you run any game through and it maps ANY gamepad you have out like a keyboard[/quote]

What's the advantage of that to one of the free programs out there that does basically the same thing?

I use Xpadder:
http://xpadder.com/

Works great and has a bunch of nice features, also does the profile bit..

bread's done
Back