xBox 360 Controller for PC

Did a forum search for the 360 controller on windows since I'd like to get it, but don't want to pay to be able to use it on non GFW games. It seems like the only programs require a payment though. :cold:

[quote name='Ryukahn']Did a forum search for the 360 controller on windows since I'd like to get it, but don't want to pay to be able to use it on non GFW games. It seems like the only programs require a payment though. :cold:[/QUOTE]

What now? Why would you have to pay to be able to use it on non GFW games?

[quote name='Lord Jezo']What now? Why would you have to pay to be able to use it on non GFW games?[/QUOTE]

Huh? I was under the impression that there were issues when using it for non GFW games, thus needing a program like Xpadder or Pinnacle to work around them. I'm not a PC gamer at all beyond MMOs, so don't have much experience with them. So you are saying the pad will work with all games? Maybe the info I've read was old or something?

Edit: After reading my initial comment again, I can see how it would be confusing. My issue is that I want to purchase the 360 controller for windows, but it seems it doesn't work with a lot of games beyond the GFW games, or it does but with issues. As a result, it seems you need to use a program as a workaround, like Xpadder or Pinnacle, both of which cost $$$, which I don't feel like paying since the controller is already a decent amount of cash. So basically I was wondering if there was any free programs that did the same thing (or at least something similar) or if maybe those issues had been fixed with updates or something.

Alright thanks. The 3 main non GFW games I am interested in all do not have controller support though (or have issues with them), so that's a bummer. Guess I'm stuck buying one of those programs to play them with a controller?

Well, I didn't want to list them since if I found others I'd have to keep listing them to get answers, thus bugging people. For now, the main game I am looking at that is not GFW is Oblivion, and possibly wanting to play Orange Box and Mass Effect. I've played all of them on 360 before, and would like to play them with a controller.

For any source engine game (ala Orange Box) type exec 360controller in the console. They should really add it to the option menus though.

[quote name='Ryukahn']Alright thanks. The 3 main non GFW games I am interested in all do not have controller support though (or have issues with them), so that's a bummer. Guess I'm stuck buying one of those programs to play them with a controller?[/QUOTE]

Wait a second, when did Xpadder become a pay program? The hell? I guess I need to keep my freeware edition, don't want to lose that now that he charges for it.

Update: here, go try joy2key and let us know how it works.. http://www.electracode.com/4/joy2key/JoyToKey%20English%20Version.htm

I think its only the latest version of xpadder thats paid. you can still get 5.3 for free from xpadderwave.com, but 5.4 costs $14. I've been really impressed with xpadder 5.3 and havent had any major problems. for some games it doesnt seem to want to work but you need to disable any joystick options and not connect the controller untill after the game is loaded.

I have two XBOX360 controllers for the PC from MS Live Search Club. For the longest time, I had trouble getting the receiver and the controller to sync until I found out the receiver requires a lot of power. It has to be the only USB device plugged. Anything else will prevent it from working. Plus, I just can't remove all existing USB device (like my mouse or USB drive) and plug in the receiver. I have to do a restart. It's too much hassle for me to use the controller. I have to find a replacement controller that's a simple plug and play.

[quote name='cruzfactor']I have two XBOX360 controllers for the PC from MS Live Search Club. For the longest time, I had trouble getting the receiver and the controller to sync until I found out the receiver requires a lot of power. It has to be the only USB device plugged. Anything else will prevent it from working. Plus, I just can't remove all existing USB device (like my mouse or USB drive) and plug in the receiver. I have to do a restart. It's too much hassle for me to use the controller. I have to find a replacement controller that's a simple plug and play.[/QUOTE]

I haven't had that problem at all and I have other USB ports occupied while using the wireless receiver.

I have a wireless 360 controller with windows receiver- works fine.

If I got a second wireless controller, would I need a second receiver, or do multiple wireless 360 controllers work with a single receiver?

[quote name='vherub']I have a wireless 360 controller with windows receiver- works fine.

If I got a second wireless controller, would I need a second receiver, or do multiple wireless 360 controllers work with a single receiver?[/QUOTE]

I believe each receiver can support up to four devices.

bread's done
Back