Xbox 360 Controllers: Buttons pushing themselves??? (Listen to my story)

omnilink

CAG Veteran
So far I have purchased 2 Xbox 360 wireless controllers, and I have had serious technical issues with both of them. It is important to note that these are NOT CONNECTIVITY ISSUES.

The first controller worked fine for a few months then for some reason the left trigger kept acting like it was being pulled (even though I wasn't pulling it). Thinking a piece of dust or something had gotten inside the controller, I tried to vacuum around the crevice. When that didn't work I even tried to blow it out with compressed air. Neither method worked. While playing a game, the trigger would still randomly send a signal to the console as if it were being pulled. Sometimes it would do it for a minute straight, then sometimes it would only do it every 10-20 minutes. I decided to call Microsoft, and payed $5 to have it sent to them for a replacement.

In the meantime I decided to pick up a new controller from Amazon. As soon as I got my new wireless controller in from Amazon I started to use it. Only 2 hours into playing with it did I experience another similar glitch. This time the left thumbstick is sending a signal that it is moving itself to the right. It quits doing it for a second, and then will start doing it again a few minutes later. I try the same cleaning methods I used before, but neither work. I ended up on the phone trying to get them to replace this controller as well. I had already thrown away the UPC though, and I had to spend an hour talking to different people until someone finally just told me I could send in an invoice that I printed off from Amazon with the controller when I ship it in. So I'm out $5 more bucks now.

I got my replacement controller, and I've been using it fine for about a month or so now with no problems. It's great. I tried searching for possible solutions to why I had this problem with the other two, and I could find no answers or cleaning guides. My house is fairly dusty, but I have never had this issue with other controllers, and I've been gaming for about 10 years.

When I tried asking Microsoft on the phone if they had any advice for me as to why this was happening, or if other customers had experienced similar problems they told me they "weren't allowed to give me any information about that issue". God forbid a tech support person give me information.

So has anybody else had any similar problems? Any advice as to why this is happening?

poltergeist.jpg
Perhaps you live on an old Indian burial ground?

Maybe you're pressing a button while you're starting up your 360, atleast that was an issue with the N64. Not sure if the same occurs here, I've never experienced it.

For some reason when I put a battery pack in my wireless controller and start my 360, it is as if my left thumbstick is stuck in the down position, but for some reason if i take out the battery pack, plug up the wired charging cord and then plug in my battery pack, its as if it resets itself and works fine. Then I can unplug my charging cable and everythings fine. Tried three seperate battery packs and all three do it. Im as baffled as you are.

Do you live in an apartment complex? Your neighbors might have a 360 too and they may be broadcasting on the same freqency...

They are just 2.4Ghz devices so another cordless phone or wireless router could be to blame as well.

[quote name='Indiana']They are just 2.4Ghz devices so another cordless phone or wireless router could be to blame as well.[/QUOTE]

Yup... I get regular 2.4GHz interference around my apartment... lots of cordless phones. It causes the controller to drop which is annoying as hell. For XBL stuff or if I'm really involved in a tense game, I go wired. I only use the wireless if I'm playing something casual where a drop won't be a game ender.

[quote name='Acidbath42024']how does anyone explain my situation? It does exactly what i stated everytime I start up my 360.[/quote]
Same shit, 2.4ghz interference from either your's or a neighbors cordless phone, a microwave, or possibly even a wireless network. If the controller is plugged in & works fine, it's no longer running wirelessly & you don't have to worry about interference.

yes, but i plug in the wire and then after i insert the battery i unplug the wire and then it works perfectly fine wirelessly.

I do have a 2.4 GHZ cordless phone in my bedroom. I don't live in an apartment, and I don't have wifi in my home. While I perfectly agree that the phone could be interfering with it, I find it odd that it's always the exact same button with each controller (The first one kept pulling the left trigger and the second one kept moving the left thumbstick to the right).

The 1st replacement controller they shipped me hasn't given me any problems at all. If it starts messing up I will plug it in to confirm it's not an interference issue. I should get my 2nd replacement in soon, I'll tell you what happens with it.

bread's done
Back