Xbox 360 CORE USED - $189.99 - Gamestop

Ok, for those of you worrying about the RRoD, here is my experience with a broken second-hand 360.

I bought a 360 from a pawn shop that was broken (I knew it was) for $100. It was a core, but I figured after looking at the manufacture date as well as making sure that the seal for the system wasn't broken (for those that don't know where it is, there is a silver sticker underneath where the faceplate is. As long as that sticker isn't broken, you are under warranty. If you get the 3 red lights, call Microsoft and they will send you your coffin.

FYI to everyone buying from the website, you are getting a refurbished system. This WILL NOT be covered under their warranty. You must go back to Gamestop/EB Games if you get a problem with the system. The seal that Microsoft would have put on the console was broken by Gamestop so they could repair it. As I said, your best bet is to inspect it in store (a used system, not refurbished) and purchase it there knowing that you'll still be good to go.

If you have the Edge card, you get 10% more off.....good deal.......especially if your buddies with the manager there like I am. LOL

edge applies to systems? i may buy a 360, i just fixed my cousins 3RRoD with the towel trick ;). For 189.99-18.99=171 or a loss in my psp/ds collection i may be forced to bight considering i have a wirelss controller from ms live search club, and 64mb mem card. i can wait on the hdd

[quote name='MrBoss']I can put this info in the main post if need. When does this expire? Tomorrow?[/QUOTE]
Tomorrow morning I believe.

[quote name='allout1986']Ok, for those of you worrying about the RRoD, here is my experience with a broken second-hand 360.

I bought a 360 from a pawn shop that was broken (I knew it was) for $100. It was a core, but I figured after looking at the manufacture date as well as making sure that the seal for the system wasn't broken (for those that don't know where it is, there is a silver sticker underneath where the faceplate is. As long as that sticker isn't broken, you are under warranty. If you get the 3 red lights, call Microsoft and they will send you your coffin.

FYI to everyone buying from the website, you are getting a refurbished system. This WILL NOT be covered under their warranty. You must go back to Gamestop/EB Games if you get a problem with the system. The seal that Microsoft would have put on the console was broken by Gamestop so they could repair it. As I said, your best bet is to inspect it in store (a used system, not refurbished) and purchase it there knowing that you'll still be good to go.[/quote]

Wow, if that's the case, then you'd be asking for it. I was almost about to do this based on the info earlier in the thread. Nobody seems to know what warranty GS offers either.

Did Gamestop actually repair anything? Doesn't GS call it refurbished if they got it used and inspected it?

[quote name='sventhebruin']If they break, I guess we can fix them ourselves.[/quote]

I don't know if that's the best option ;)

I just want to know what the heck is going on here since I'd bite on this if I was assured a decent warranty of at least a year.

I work at a GS and the warranty is 49.99 (or 59.99) for a year on the 360, if you get the red ring, bring it in, we exchange it for a brand new one (or used if you purchased it used) right there in the store.

The refurbished questions being asked, GS/EB buys huge batchs of refurbs from MS for us to sell in our stores.

[quote name='Pestilence']I work at a GS and the warranty is 49.99 (or 59.99) for a year on the 360, if you get the red ring, bring it in, we exchange it for a brand new one (or used if you purchased it used) right there in the store.

The refurbished questions being asked, GS/EB buys huge batchs of refurbs from MS for us to sell in our stores.[/quote]

So you're saying the refurbs online are still covered under MS warranty?

Edit: If not, can I buy the refurb online and just buy a GS warranty in store later? If I'm getting it, I want the free game.

ya they will be, they were sent to GS from the MS refurb center (or wherever the hell they come from, lol)

as long as they are still within three years of the manufacture date, which every system is.

[quote name='Pestilence']ya they will be, they were sent to GS from the MS refurb center (or wherever the hell they come from, lol)

as long as they are still within three years of the manufacture date, which every system is.[/quote]

That's what I wanted to hear. I might be getting this soon tonight. Thanks

[quote name='Pestilence']ya they will be, they were sent to GS from the MS refurb center (or wherever the hell they come from, lol)

as long as they are still within three years of the manufacture date, which every system is.[/quote]
I don't know where you get your information, but that is absolutely incorrect. I work there and the refurbs ARE NOT covered by Microsofts 3 year warranty. Gamestop has opened the systems to repair them, thus this voids any warranty that Microsoft has put in place. Read my prior post in this thread for more details.

Edit: My post with details here: http://cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3219496&postcount=50

Oh yea, and the post about Gamestop buying refurbs from Microsoft is partly true. They purchase them from them packaged in boxes that look almost identical to a 360 Pro, the only difference is a black bar with Refurbished written on it.

All other systems that are refurbished have been repaired by Gamestop's repair center. Any system taken in trade/returned as defective is sent there to be repaired. I don't know who this other guy is or how long/what position he has in the company, but the info he is providing is false. Ask to see a refurbished 360 at a gamestop and you will see a green sticker stating Gamestop refurbished system, do not remove (or something similar) on the back of the system.

[quote name='allout1986']I don't know where you get your information, but that is absolutely incorrect. I work there and the refurbs ARE NOT covered by Microsofts 3 year warranty. Gamestop has opened the systems to repair them, thus this voids any warranty that Microsoft has put in place. Read my prior post in this thread for more details.

Edit: My post with details here: http://cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3219496&postcount=50

Oh yea, and the post about Gamestop buying refurbs from Microsoft is partly true. They purchase them from them packaged in boxes that look almost identical to a 360 Pro, the only difference is a black bar with Refurbished written on it.

All other systems that are refurbished have been repaired by Gamestop's repair center. Any system taken in trade/returned as defective is sent there to be repaired. I don't know who this other guy is or how long/what position he has in the company, but the info he is providing is false. Ask to see a refurbished 360 at a gamestop and you will see a green sticker stating Gamestop refurbished system, do not remove (or something similar) on the back of the system.[/quote]

o shit! i forgot about those! i was refering to the microsoft refurbs, those are the only ones we carry right now.

But he is correct about the GS refurbs tho.

im sorry about that guys, i should of mentioned how lame gamestop is to offer TWO different kind of refurb'd 360's.

BTW, im an assistant store manager, about 2 weeks young in the company, lol.

[quote name='Pestilence']o shit! i forgot about those! i was refering to the microsoft refurbs, those are the only ones we carry right now.

But he is correct about the GS refurbs tho.

im sorry about that guys, i should of mentioned how lame gamestop is to offer TWO different kind of refurb'd 360's.

BTW, im an assistant store manager, about 2 weeks young in the company, lol.[/quote]

I'll forgive you this time ;) But seriously, you almost had me going there. Thanks allout for the heads up.

I called today and the guy immediately said they aren't under MS warranty. In that case, like I said earlier, you would just be asking for trouble. It seems MS has handled the situation well as far as customer service, and I neither feel like paying for or dealing with GS to get my console fixed.

[quote name='SolidMetal']ZOMG wow thats cheaper than a Wii xD how much is the premium used?[/quote]
They don't sell a "used" Premium bundle. But, $180 for the used Core + $60 for a used 20GB HD = $250.

So, if you check in store and make sure the seal is intact...

And wait to buy the hard drive and other accessories during B2G1 free sales plus edge card 10%.....

Still might be the best CAG way to pick up a 360.

I'd stay away from these gamestop consoles. Wait for the new systems to start hitting shelves. I considered getting one since I kept my hard drive from when I sold my system, but the lack of MS warranty makes them worthless. They WILL break, and unless you pay for GameStop's warranty (which will just get you another system that WILL break) you're screwed in 6-10 months.

[quote name='jer7583']I'd stay away from these gamestop consoles. Wait for the new systems to start hitting shelves. I considered getting one since I kept my hard drive from when I sold my system, but the lack of MS warranty makes them worthless. They WILL break, and unless you pay for GameStop's warranty (which will just get you another system that WILL break) you're screwed in 6-10 months.[/quote]

That was exactly my thought process. This deal had me going for a while though.

If i can get a used system (not GS refurb) with it's seal intact, I'm going to jump on this. I wouldn't mind going through Microsoft for the inevitable exchange, and may even buy the extended warranty from them.

Once I trade in 2 more copies of Harvest Moon, I'll have over 90$ credit to put towards it, and I've been waiting to score a 360 for really cheap. Plus, I just arranged to buy a hard drive from a guy on craigslist for 35$.

Thanks for the heads up OP, time to investigate.

Yeah now that the online deal is over, this is probably a better deal in the store. With the warranty this is a great deal.

I bit on this as I had saved enough credit up from trading in a few games.

I got:

Core 189.99 + 19.99 (warranty)
Harddrive 53.99

$263.97

And I got component cables to boot (for free)! :D

[quote name='NintendoGal']I bit on this as I had saved enough credit up from trading in a few games.

I got:

Harddrive 53.99

$263.97

And I got component cables to boot (for free)! :D[/QUOTE]
Where did you get that deal?? I thought the warranty was $49.99 and the hard drive was $59.99? And the component cables?

[quote name='rickonker']Where did you get that deal?? I thought the warranty was $49.99 and the hard drive was $59.99? And the component cables?[/quote]

Just my local GS.. I used my Edge Card and got a discount on the used HD. Thought the warranty was going to be more too, but I was happy with the $20. :)

[quote name='NintendoGal']Just my local GS.. I used my Edge Card and got a discount on the used HD. Thought the warranty was going to be more too, but I was happy with the $20. :)[/QUOTE]
Thanks...hopefully it's $20 everywhere now and it doesn't vary by region. Maybe since the component cables are more common, GS is packing those in with the refurbs.

[quote name='NintendoGal']Just my local GS.. I used my Edge Card and got a discount on the used HD. Thought the warranty was going to be more too, but I was happy with the $20. :)[/QUOTE]
How long is the warranty?

[quote name='Jonny Greenwood']How long is the warranty?[/quote]

Only a year, but I figure I can open it up afterwards if it has problems and tinker.

[quote name='NintendoGal']Only a year, but I figure I can open it up afterwards if it has problems and tinker.[/QUOTE]
Thanks, I might actually bite on this but I'm not sure yet. I just got to see if there are any good cheap 360 games.

i was about to bite on the deal...but just the thought of the ring of death made me move anyway. I mean its refurbished, and the warranty is gone, too much risk.

[quote name='NintendoGal']I bit on this as I had saved enough credit up from trading in a few games.

I got:

Harddrive 53.99

$263.97

And I got component cables to boot (for free)! :D[/quote]

ya, our warranty prices differ for how much the system is worth. and the price for the core is now 20 for the warranty, compared to the 40-50 (cant remember exactly) that it was.

i checked today at work to make sure that is true, and it is.

You dont have to buy any warranties! Because it doesn't matter with Microsoft if it's new or used. I bought a console off ebay that when I got it it didn't work. I called microsoft they checked the serial number and verified it was under warranty. They registered the console in my name I sent it to them and I just got it back recently, no charge.

Actually my bad if it's refurb Gamestop probably opened them, voiding the warranty. Lame.

[quote name='VidgamesgivemeA_D_D']You dont have to buy any warranties! Because it doesn't matter with Microsoft if it's new or used. I bought a console off ebay that when I got it it didn't work. I called microsoft they checked the serial number and verified it was under warranty. They registered the console in my name I sent it to them and I just got it back recently, no charge.

Actually my bad if it's refurb Gamestop probably opened them, voiding the warranty. Lame.[/quote]

Yeah I was about to say.. the one I snagged unfortunately has been opened.

Are you sure that's 20, cause I might go trade in my ps3 and get one....

I called GS and they said $40-$50 for their warranty. Anyone confirm this?

It seems like, right now at least, MS is still reeling under the weight of the whole "ZOMG all the 360s are breaking" thing. If you bought a refurbished one and made enough noise, it seems like MS would eventually fix it for you simply to quiet you down. I suppose it's easy for me to say as mine is still working normally and has never been opened but if I needed on, I'd probably bite on a refurb instore.

In related news, Kmarts clearanced out their 20 gig HDs. Last I saw they were down to 49.00 at my Kmart so you might be able to find storage on the cheap there.

bread's done
Back