Xbox 360 Core vs. Premium

cognitive77

CAGiversary!
Okay, so I'm cheap (obviously) and a little lazy. I've been looking at picking up a 360 for Gears of War and Halo 2. My question is...is it really worth upgrading and buying the premium version?

Am I correct in stating that the only difference between the two is a 20GB HD?

The harddrive is necessary for backwards compatibility and extremely strongly recommended for everything else. If you can get a harddrive for cheap and don't care about a wireless controller go ahead and get the Core and a cheap harddrive, otherwise get the premium.

Since you're picking it up for Halo 2, you'd be a sucker not to buy the Premium since you need to the hard drive for Backwards Compatibility.

It's definitely worth it to get the premium.
The differences are:
20GB HD + Wireless Controller + Headset.

Buying them seperately is about $150-$170 (depending on the deals you can find).

EDIT: Good point on the hard drive being REQUIRED for backwards compatibility.

A core system might be a benefit for a guy like me. I plan to keep the original Xbox so I dont really have to worry about backwards capability. Also, I have no interest in playing online so I could care less about the headset.

If you feel the same way I do, then maybe the core if for you.

EDIT: I forgot about the HD cables. Damn...That blows my post away.

Thanks guys, I did some Google searching and came up with some comparisons. I'm thinking of trying to stack an Overstock % discount plus the Overstock Visa $30 off to get the premium system + Gears of War.

Trying to buy this, the Wii and a DS Lite is really hitting my savings account.

Under certain circumstances the core is worth getting. Like if a friend has an extra hard drive or you can get one very cheap, and HD cables very cheap. Then it's fine.

I got lucky and got the Core for $225 at the Tower Going out of business sale, then I used store credit to get the HD Cables used for $15 bucks and a harddrive for $65 bucks. So I essentially got the premium for a $100 bucks less. I don't even use a headset, but since I got a year of live that was in the kit...

[quote name='Xevious']A core system might be a benefit for a guy like me. I plan to keep the original Xbox so I dont really have to worry about backwards capability. Also, I have no interest in playing online so I could care less about the headset.

If you feel the same way I do, then maybe the core if for you.

EDIT: I forgot about the HD cables. Damn...That blows my post away.[/QUOTE]

Still you'd have to buy a memory card and say goodbye to demos/movies/XBLA games if you have one of those.

IMO the core version in only right if ALL 4 things in the following situation applies to you:

1.) You don't plan on using the 360 to play any original xbox games

2.) You don't plan on using Xbox Live or plan on ever downloading anything off of the Live marketplace.

3.) You don't play games that typically take up large amounts of memory space

4.) You don't have a need or desire for wireless controllers

edit: As far as the cables go, it's give or take. If you have an HDTV you'll want the component cables but you can still get a decent set of cables (generaly 3rd party) for a decent price.

I've noticed deals online and offline for the premium system the last 3-4 months that basically brings the price down to $350-360. I'm not sure if you check the speedy uberthreads, but Target is giving away a $50 giftcard with purchase of a premium system - that just about covers the cost of Gears of War and you won't have to pick up a separate memory card. You may not plan on using live now (I don't myself), but it's nice to have the ability to download demos and arcade games through the free silver account. I say go for the premium where you can get a deal like a free game or gift card.

[quote name='cognitive77']Okay, so I'm cheap (obviously) and a little lazy. I've been looking at picking up a 360 for Gears of War and Halo 2. My question is...is it really worth upgrading and buying the premium version?

Am I correct in stating that the only difference between the two is a 20GB HD?[/quote]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
if your a online addict or want to play w\ friends online get preimum... if you want the core you can sit around til' your 80 playing the halo 2 story mode. maby youll beat it on legendary! no no no.. but the preimum is the way to go
its better you get 20.gigs and in the longrun youll be kicking your self if you dont get the best.

peace

bread's done
Back