Xbox 360 Customer Support – One Man’s Story

Glad to hear that GF_Eric. Hope it keeps working for you.

I have two other friends who 360's.
The first bought his from the same batch as mine and his still works good.
The second won his from the Pepsi contest and he treats it like crap. It's his junk food stand. Drives me crazy because I baby everything I have....but he has never had a problem. Hell even his Condemned disc is cracked from the center half way up and it still plays (my system won't load it).

Today I received my power brick, but did not receive the ups airbill or tape to send back my defective one. So I called and got Ms. Apu Nahasapeemapetilon on the line who told me to baslcally "wait and see" if they want it back then call them again. Also I sent them my xbox on Tuesday on 4/18 and is due to arrive to them on Friday 4/21. We shall see.......

I recently had a very similar incident. I was actually playing the...whatever the WWII flight game was...and it froze. Shortly thereafter, I got the Red Light of Death, as you described it.

The next chance I got, I called Xbox tech support. The first person I got was an illiterate sounding woman who kept messing up while inputting my details on the computer. Being the kind of customer I am, I hung up on her.

The person I got was a guy who sounded totally cool, and didn't speak in the language that tech support generally reads off of their monitor. He explained that it was definately an internal issue, and that I could send my console back free of charge (a UPS label would be shipped out in the box he sent me--there would even be a piece of tape to seal the box up with). I'd have to remember to disconnect all games, accessories, and the hard drive before sending it back.

When the box arrived I noticed that it had been sent 3 Day Air through UPS. I sealed up my 360, patched it up with the complimentary label, and slapped the UPS label on, which I noticed contained the words "Next Day Air". They were not only paying for shipping, they were paying for fast shipping.

In about two days I recieved an e-mail that they had recieved my 360, along with a tracking number I could use. It also stated that there replacing my conosle, and that the new one would take 3-5 buisness days to arrive.

About 4 buisness days later, a brand-spanking new 360 came in the mail. I pulled it out, slapped on my hard drive, relinked my wireless controller, and was off and playing PGR3 in no time. I haven't had a problem since.

Anyways, I think my overall experience would have been awful had I not hung up on the woman at the beginning. I think it all just depends on who you get when you call tech support.

I used to work for customer service for Gateway and quite frankly this sort of thing happened all the time. People would send in computers and get the wrong ones sent back or have it lost in shipping or lost at the place where we outsourced all of our repairs.

That said, some really great stuff happened with a frequency roughly analagous to that of the really, really screwed up stuff. One guy had his laptop shipped in, repaired, and shipped back to him the next day.

Still, this isn't uncommon. Just be glad that Microsoft isn't claiming that your system is obsolete so they won't even bother repairing it within warranty, they'll only replace it with something that's nothing like what you actually bought as policy (i.e. an old all-in-one low-end media center PC was replaced with a crappy, non-media center low-mid-range desktop).

[quote name='sado']Oh come on guys this is a little farfetched....I mean I sent in my 360 5 times (replaced each time) before I finally got one that worked. I am still not completely sure it does actually, the hard drive slipped off of the 360 while I was carrying it and smacked the floor (MY TILE FLOOR), after looking at it closely the Harddrive never sits in correctly on the current 360 I have so theres no telling whether its the harddrive or the 360 that has a defective harddrive slot. So yay! I am so tempted to sell it on ebay.[/quote]
Really? I sent my third console in for replacement in recently and the guy on the phone was so shocked that he offered me a game (that I actually recieved). Huh.

My system crashed today, got the same run around with Microsoft, supposed to get my box to ship it back in 3 or 4 bus days, then they said they'd have it back in 8-10 days. That really blows, guess I didnt want to play any games on my freakin days off. screw the red ring of death.

bread's done
Back