Xbox 360 DVR?

pinebarrens

CAGiversary!
What does everyone think of the Xbox 360 becoming a DVR as well? I just bought mine, so will I need to buy an accessory to make it a DVR or am I SOL on that? I know it is super early to be speculating about such things.

well you won't need to buy an accessory, but you would need to subscribe to an iptv service provider, ie att or verizon. Iptv, allegedly, hasn't really hit the market yet as it is in test markets. As it gets closer to next december you should see services provided in select markets. According to the interview on major nelson this weekend most 360 owners won't be able to use it this year. He also said you won't need to do anything extra. You may want to buy a bigger hard drive if you plan on dl a bunch of stuff on the marketplace as well as use it as a dvr.

[quote name='pinebarrens']What does everyone think of the Xbox 360 becoming a DVR as well? I just bought mine, so will I need to buy an accessory to make it a DVR or am I SOL on that? I know it is super early to be speculating about such things.[/quote]

You will need a bigger hard drive which I'm sure they're gonna have ready.

Basically you'd just be using your 360 as a set top box for one of these companies services rather than them providing a box. Unless they give a discount on the service, it's not much of a deal (oh whopee, my game system is tied up being a TV).

If ANYONE could subscribe to a cheap iptv service through their 360, that would be awesome, but that's not what this is. It's just AT&T using your 360.

well i don't think it will be just att in the USA. Also you pay about $12 for the dvr box per month as it is, so if they have the same pricing stucture you are at least saving $12. The other bonus is that at some point you can record up to 4 shows at the same time.

[quote name='ryanbph']well i don't think it will be just att in the USA. Also you pay about $12 for the dvr box per month as it is, so if they have the same pricing stucture you are at least saving $12. The other bonus is that at some point you can record up to 4 shows at the same time.[/QUOTE]

I guess by the time this rolls out that's not a bad deal if there's no other box you can buy. You could buy a separate 360 that's just for TV, and it would pay for itself in a few years. I'm assuming it doesn't really "record" anything, but is just downloading a stream that it can cache to the drive?

No thanks. I don't buy the "consoles should only play games" line of bullshit, but this is taking it to an extreme I couldn't care less about.

You're going to need one of the new 360s to even do IPTV regardless, so it's a moot point for current owners.
EDIT: It's software only, so just a drive upgrade perhaps

I currently have a PC running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005, which I'm using as my DVR, and my Xbox 360 is being used as a Media Center Extender and it works great. All my shows are recorded on to a 250 GB external harddrive and my PC handles all the work so I don't have to worry about tieing up my Xbox. When I want to watch a recorded TV show I just launch the Media Center client on the Xbox and stream the data over the Network. For me this is a much better solution. No subscription costs, the drive is infinitely expandable and my gaming console isn't handling the duties of a DVR.

well the tv shows will be streamed to your 360. In order to dvr them, you save it to your Hard Drive. They mentioned in the major nelson interview, that some providers will offer on demand services. Your current xbox 360 can handle all of this. The only thing needed is a model with a hard drive attached if you want to have the dvr services. In theory, the 20gb one will do. (My comcast one is 20gb, and it barely is close to full) but if you don't watch your shows in a timely manner, record a lot of shows, and/or dl a bunch of stuff from the marketplace then you will need a bigger HD.

bread's done
Back