Xbox 360 Elite gets pricedrop - 300$

[quote name='Morrigan Lover']Does it come with a free RROD?[/QUOTE]
WAIT and thats not all folks! ALSO INCLUDED with purchase! Anger and Frustration!

Wow... they didn't even want to wait till their conference to do the price drop. Just, "we can't let the PS3 even have half a day to be cheaper than us..."

Sure, this drop has been rumoured for a few weeks now, but still...

[quote name='Morrigan Lover']Does it come with a free RROD?[/QUOTE]

act now and you get E74 AND RROD!!!!

[quote name='spzero']Wow... they didn't even want to wait till their conference to do the price drop. Just, "we can't let the PS3 even have half a day to be cheaper than us..."

Sure, this drop has been rumoured for a few weeks now, but still...[/QUOTE]

The article is 6 days old.

The Xbox 360 thing is old news from a week or so ago. It is a way for Microsoft to fight back against the PS3 price drop.

Besides, if you're running a company and trying to be competitive why would you suddenly put your hands up and say, "well we'll go easy on them just this once".

Lastly, the new Jasper chipset for the Xbox 360's seems to have really put a dent in the reports of RROD's on newer hardware configurations. Though there were rumors of other chip sets in the works a couple of years or so ago it seems that the new hardware is working well.

At least that's without solid evidence to the contrary. I need to see some visual evidence that the new chip set is failing on consist basis in order to condemn the new model.

[quote name='Lockescythe']with the fact that theres no xbox live and you don't have to pay for a 100$ wireless adapter. PS3 is.....better value?

Wow.[/QUOTE]
dont forget a freakin' bluray player. MS gonna have 2 include a free year of Live or something. this puts ps3 right back in there.

[quote name='Lockescythe']with the fact that theres no xbox live and you don't have to pay for a 100$ wireless adapter. PS3 is.....better value?

Wow.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and you get what you pay for too. Playing online on the PS3 is shit compared to Live.

Don't forget the current elite package comes with Halo 3 and Fable 2, arguable 2 of the well, top 10 exclusives anyway. Microsoft = hype machine, and they've always known their marketing.

From the reviews I've read on Amazon.com, Microsoft is using the Halo 3/Fable 2 to unload some older Falcon chipsets; GOTY bundle it may be, but older hardware you shall get.

[quote name='game_fanatic']From the reviews I've read on Amazon.com, Microsoft is using the Halo 3/Fable 2 to unload some older Falcon chipsets; GOTY bundle it may be, but older hardware you shall get.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly why I picked up the RE5 bundle here at BB for 349.99. I'm enjoying my Jasper unit. :) Plus, it came with 5 free games (maybe not games like Halo 3 and Fable II, but crazy promo nonetheless!).

[quote name='game_fanatic']From the reviews I've read on Amazon.com, Microsoft is using the Halo 3/Fable 2 to unload some older Falcon chipsets; GOTY bundle it may be, but older hardware you shall get.[/QUOTE]

The average consumer probably won't care :)
I'd still like to see literature from Sony reporting how many users have never a) gone online with their unit and b) never played a game. It would be interesting to see how many units have padded their numbers from people simply wanting the PS3 for a Bluray player.

Hmmm I dunno neksus, after the RROD fiasco I think average consumers are starting to care a bit more; if parents are buying the system for their kids, their kids are going to tell mommy and daddy not to buy a falcon and such. And it seemed to be a well-documented problem, even outside of the gaming community (I've read a couple stories focused on RROD in the Toronto Star).

I'm sure "gone online" can be a relative term; I've gone online a boatload with my system, but never really play games online; the stat I usually see SCEA use is "Registered PSN Users", which means if Joe Average signs up, downloads a demo, he's a "Registered User." I almost convinced my parents to buy a PS3 as a BR player, I mean why not? 120GB to store photos (my mom is a photo nut), it's one of the better performing players out there, and it's firmware-upgradeable.

Online play is still free for PS3. I still refuse to pay for live since it's pay to play. The online experience isnt even that bad & is continuing to get better over time.

PS3 is better value. No free wireless, no free rechargable batteries, no free online play is what makes me hate microsoft & the 360 so much (also the fact that they charge quite a bit for every one of those luxuries). Also I hear PS3 usually come error free as well.

[quote name='telepathy']No free wireless[/QUOTE]

Well it's quite easy to work around that, just bridge your wireless connection to your ethernet port in your laptop, and you basically have a portable wired connection for your 360. Of course, you need a laptop to do this lol.

As someone who bought both consoles, I have to say the PS3 gives you more bang for your bucks. But keep in mind I got an old 80GB PS3 with PS2 BC, memory card reader, 4 USB ports, etc. Considering what the new PS3 and the Elite 360 pack in, I guess it comes down to what kind of use you want out of your gaming console. 299.99 is a hot price for both, imo.

I have all systems. I even have 2 backwards compatible PS3 (a 60 & an 80 gb). I use my PS3 the most because of all the features (people probably take for granted the amount that the PS3 does at no extra cost). The 360 has its pluses as well, but the black behemoth acts as my main form of entertainment. I think the 360 should have dropped a bit more or at least included the wireless adapter w/the system. That was a dealbreaker in my opinion especially since new adapters are still quite expensive.

If they could make a barebones PS3 (similar to the 360 arcade), im not too sure if that would necessarily have won every one over to sony either. The system is great because it has the lasting value & you dont really have to put much more in to the system unless you have extra cash lying around (extra controllers & extra hd space are just that)

[quote name='matsam']Well it's quite easy to work around that, just bridge your wireless connection to your ethernet port in your laptop, and you basically have a portable wired connection for your 360. Of course, you need a laptop to do this lol.

As someone who bought both consoles, I have to say the PS3 gives you more bang for your bucks. But keep in mind I got an old 80GB PS3 with PS2 BC, memory card reader, 4 USB ports, etc. Considering what the new PS3 and the Elite 360 pack in, I guess it comes down to what kind of use you want out of your gaming console. 299.99 is a hot price for both, imo.[/QUOTE]

i have the original 20 GB PS3 and the pro and i prefer my 20 GB PS3. i swapped out the HDD for a 160GB one and it's just way better. it may not have the card readers but full BC mean i get to play my sexy ps1 games.

just to note, all PS3s are backwards compatible w/PS1 games. It's the PS2 backwards compatibility that was removed along w/the emotion chip in later models.

[quote name='telepathy']I I think the 360 should have dropped a bit more or at least included the wireless adapter w/the system. That was a dealbreaker in my opinion especially since new adapters are still quite expensive.
[/QUOTE]

The wireless in the PS3 is useless. It takes too long to download anything from the PSN with it. Even worse when it's done download it has to install whatever it downloaded. It took 2 1/2 hours to update my system the first night I got it and the MGS4 update. After that I hooked up the Network cable and gave up on this supposed wireless in the system.

[quote name='Princess Zelda']The wireless in the PS3 is useless. It takes too long to download anything from the PSN with it. Even worse when it's done download it has to install whatever it downloaded. It took 2 1/2 hours to update my system the first night I got it and the MGS4 update. After that I hooked up the Network cable and gave up on this supposed wireless in the system.[/QUOTE]

You might have a problem with your connection, I often get 1Mbps+ through my PS3's wireless connection. Updates are almost instantanious. I hear a lot of people have problems with it being slow though. Oh well, works fine for me! :D

[quote name='Sillyfire']act now and you get E74 AND RROD!!!![/QUOTE]

Make that TWO E74s, a side of RRODs and a heaping helping of replace-system-thrice-willingly kool-aid!

Don't forget to upsell the you-pay-for-shipping too!

Wow.[/QUOTE]

It works, parents look at price first, features second, now moron parents will be more inclined to get a PS3 this holiday season.

[quote name='matsam']Well it's quite easy to work around that, just bridge your wireless connection to your ethernet port in your laptop, and you basically have a portable wired connection for your 360. Of course, you need a laptop to do this lol. [/QUOTE]

People are morons, they can't even be bothered to look up to see if Turning Point is a good game or not!

It STILL sells in my store.

[quote name='Princess Zelda']The wireless in the PS3 is useless. It takes too long to download anything from the PSN with it. Even worse when it's done download it has to install whatever it downloaded. It took 2 1/2 hours to update my system the first night I got it and the MGS4 update. After that I hooked up the Network cable and gave up on this supposed wireless in the system.[/QUOTE]

Well i do get solid connections w/my wireless though it does vary from time to time due to rogers gay shit. The wireless is perfectly fine. The 360s wireless is also fine, but i dont think it should cost $80+ when it really should have been built in.

ahum. maybe your router hasn't been configured properly or maybe it's just old and shitty. I suggest calling a friend who knows a bit about these kind of things to set it up properly. My router is all the way at the other end of my appartment and i still get an awesome connection.

oh, also, it became better when i enabled plug and play in my router. so you might wanna check that one out also.

bread's done
Back