Xbox 360 Falcons (65nm) are here!

Isn't this the same method they were using a month ago to tell if you had a new heatsink or not? Now they're claiming this will find the new chip? I think someone made a mistake down the line.

I won't believe it until I see a pic of the chip.

Anyway, tell us something about how it sounds, too! Not just what it looks like. Is everybody right that it won't make much difference with sound because the DVD-ROM drive is the thing that makes the majority of the noise anyway?

I want to believe.
But can't just yet. Especially since folks in that post are reporting the same lot number, some with and some without the new heatsink.

Huh... I'm 1/2 way tempted to sell my current system and get one of these once it's fully confirmed. Are warranties transferrable so that someone who bought it from me would have it? (I bought that 3 year warranty from MS a month or so before they announced 3 years on the RROD issues.)

If I did that, but obviously kept my harddrive, would I still have to be connected to Live to play my already-purchased Arcade games?

I'm not buying it. How does a new heat sink equal a new chip? They've been putting heat sinks on the old 90's for a while now. Maybe they just have a better one.

65nm is seriously overblown. 65nm just uses less electricity so if anything we are just gonna see a smaller brick. It could cool it down some, but the big problem is that there is not enough solder on the pins to keep them from widthstanding the heat. Microsoft shouldnt have made these things as cheaply as they did. I wished they charged me 419.99 and used some higher quality parts.

I wonder if it's quieter. I just got a lot 0730 premium with a Ben-q drive-- it sounds like a jet engine and gets really hot, which is very odd considering Ben-q is supposed to be the quietest, right?

What I want to know is whether or not these "new" boards have a different model number.

Otherwise, the only way to tell if the 360 is 65nm or not is to buy it and peer into it with a flashlight.

[quote name='Killer Rabbit']What I want to know is whether or not these "new" boards have a different model number.

Otherwise, the only way to tell if the 360 is 65nm or not is to buy it and peer into it with a flashlight.[/QUOTE]

says he got it in lot 0734, so every console from that lot on should have them. you can check that on the sticker UPC on the side.

i-want-to-believe-small.jpg

[quote name='Slate']I could use better pictures..[/quote]

Wait wait... lemme take my glasses off. OH yeah, now I see it. oh yeah, I definitely have a falcon...

[quote name='Cursor']
Anyway, tell us something about how it sounds, too! Not just what it looks like. Is everybody right that it won't make much difference with sound because the DVD-ROM drive is the thing that makes the majority of the noise anyway?[/QUOTE]

Yes, the cheap DVD-Rom drives are the noise makers, so a new chip won't effect that at all.

am I the only one who didn't find that post helpful at all? For all I know, it could be just someone trying to get my hopes up for nothing. :(

Guys, you have to SEE the chip in order to tell if it's 65nm or not, and even then someone who isn't tech conscious won't be able to tell.

Either way, I believe it.

The reason I don't think Microsoft would announce it or mark it on the box is because they don't want people to leave the 90nm chips on the shelves. They want those to be sold too.

oh this is ridiculous. Take a BRIGHT Flash Light and do what? Flip my 360 upside down and do what?!?!!?!? Shit, Microsoft is being really , and I do mean really sneaky by not putting any type of label or sticky or whatever on the outside box or system....guess this is there shitty attempt to make is hard for any class action lawsuits to happen without going through all that shit.

[quote name='ITDEFX']oh this is ridiculous. Take a BRIGHT Flash Light and do what? Flip my 360 upside down and do what?!?!!?!? Shit, Microsoft is being really , and I do mean really sneaky by not putting any type of label or sticky or whatever on the outside box or system....guess this is there shitty attempt to make is hard for any class action lawsuits to happen without going through all that shit.[/QUOTE]

Why should Microsoft advertise something that will make no difference to the customer? That, and they don't want the mass hesteria religious fervor about 65 nm being more stable to make the older machines collect dust.

The 65nm won't do anyone any good except Microsoft. It makes the chips cheaper to manufacture, since they can fit more of them on a sheet.

Seriously, this church of the 65nm has got to come to an end. The 65nm chip is not your savior, and it will not die for your sins, and it most certainly will not make your Xbox more stable. The heatsinks put in in July, however, will.

[quote name='brevity']Time to take back my 360. Thanks for the heads up.[/quote]
Case in point.

[quote name='InuFaye']65nm is seriously overblown. 65nm just uses less electricity so if anything we are just gonna see a smaller brick. It could cool it down some, but the big problem is that there is not enough solder on the pins to keep them from widthstanding the heat. Microsoft shouldnt have made these things as cheaply as they did. I wished they charged me 419.99 and used some higher quality parts.[/quote]
its not that there wasnt enough solder. its that the type of solder they used was Non-Pb because of RoHS standards. MS did right by the environment before they were legally obligated to, but it backfired because the technology was so new and untested. its got all the kinks out now so the BGA should not be an issue anymore on the 65nm manuf.

[quote name='thrustbucket']
Seriously, this church of the 65nm has got to come to an end. The 65nm chip is not your savior, and it will not die for your sins, and it most certainly will not make your Xbox more stable.[/quote]

You're right. The 90nm one died for your sins.

[quote name='thrustbucket']
Seriously, this church of the 65nm has got to come to an end. The 65nm chip is not your savior, and it will not die for your sins, and it most certainly will not make your Xbox more stable. The heatsinks put in in July, however, will.
[/QUOTE]

Hard to say on the latter. Too early to tell. 65 NM chips may help a little by just having overall less heat in the box, but they really need to go to 65NM on the GPU as well to really get the heat down.

MS just needs to pay someone else to design the next X-box in any case, hardware design is not their forte.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Why should Microsoft advertise something that will make no difference to the customer? That, and they don't want the mass hesteria religious fervor about 65 nm being more stable to make the older machines collect dust.

The 65nm won't do anyone any good except Microsoft. It makes the chips cheaper to manufacture, since they can fit more of them on a sheet.

Seriously, this church of the 65nm has got to come to an end. The 65nm chip is not your savior, and it will not die for your sins, and it most certainly will not make your Xbox more stable. The heatsinks put in in July, however, will.[/quote]

Well, smaller chips mean less heat and less power--it's a good thing regardless.

But yeah, there's no way to tell if 65nm will guarantee more reliable consoles--I mean, was there ever a confirmation what is causing the RROD? People are definitely better off buying the newer HDMI consoles now than the non-HDMI ones from earlier this year and beyond, but I can understand why folks would want the best possible scenario. It's probably the main reason why MS isn't listing the component IDs on the packaging any more.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Hard to say on the latter. Too early to tell. 65 NM chips may help a little by just having overall less heat in the box, but they really need to go to 65NM on the GPU as well to really get the heat down.

MS just needs to pay someone else to design the next X-box in any case, hardware design is not their forte.[/QUOTE]

That's an excellent point. The GPU was the culprit from the beginning and it's still 90nm. And judging by these suspect pictures in the thread, it looks like they're removing the tubing to redirect the heat out the back of the console... thereby eliminating a rather useful part of the innards to begin with...

*shrug* I don't know if that's confirmed by the pictures or not... but my opinion is that 65nm CPUs do nothing for anyone except MS... we're not making laptops here... power consumption is not the issue, and with better heatsink design, the heat issue is rendered moot... we're not talking 65nm means the chip runs so cool you can use it to make ice cream... :)

[quote name='Mechafenris']we're not talking 65nm means the chip runs so cool you can use it to make ice cream... :)[/quote]

Damn it! Built-in Ice Cream maker would've been the final nail in Sony's coffin.

[quote name='looploop']Damn it! Built-in Ice Cream maker would've been the final nail in Sony's coffin.[/quote]

They need it to compete with the Wii's Miigarita Mixer attachment.

[quote name='Killer Rabbit']They need it to compete with the Wii's Miigarita Mixer attachment.[/QUOTE]

Of course that explains the early "wiimote in the TV" claims... too many "mii-garitas" :)

[quote name='Zen Davis']If someone can confirm that the 65nm chipsets are in fact in the wild, I'll be picking one up this Christmas.[/QUOTE]

If you really believe they will make any kind of difference for reliability...... I've got some beach front land in Antartica I'd give you a great deal on:bouncy: .

What sucks is that we have no way to find out if they give RRoD or not. We'd have to wait a year after a bunch of falcons were out in the wild.

[quote name='thrustbucket']If you really believe they will make any kind of difference for reliability...... I've got some beach front land in Antartica I'd give you a great deal on:bouncy: .[/quote]

But you don't.

Took mine back today. I got a Halo 3 one lot 733 so I hope its got the new stuff in it but I am not opening it to check.
IMG_1664.jpg

I've gotta say, I'm pretty pissed I didn't get the 65nm chipset in my Halo 360. I really like the Halo 360 and it's limtied. So this is my only chance to get a quiet Halo 360 and I didn't get one.

I'm not worried about realiability since my launch box is fine, but I want to have a Halo themed 360 until the next Xbox comes out, but I didn't get one. The GameCrazy I got my 360 from isn't getting anymore Halo 360's. I might have to buy another Halo 360 and sell mine on ebay.

DAMNIT!!!!! I just want a quiet one!!!!

[quote name='SNAKE EYES EX']I've gotta say, I'm pretty pissed I didn't get the 65nm chipset in my Halo 360. I really like the Halo 360 and it's limtied. So this is my only chance to get a quiet Halo 360 and I didn't get one.

I'm not worried about realiability since my launch box is fine, but I want to have a Halo themed 360 until the next Xbox comes out, but I didn't get one. The GameCrazy I got my 360 from isn't getting anymore Halo 360's. I might have to buy another Halo 360 and sell mine on ebay.

DAMNIT!!!!! I just want a quiet one!!!![/quote]
65nm has nothing to do w/ quiet. that's the DVD drive. 65nm means it uses about 30% less electricity, and you're guaranteed one w/ the new BGA soldering process; so less chance of RRoD. the 90nm halo 3 editions you're guaranteed the better heatsink w/ copper heatpipe though. so that also reduces the risk of RRoD. 65nm isnt a huge deal, but tech geeks love to think about it, because its new & interesting.;):)

bread's done
Back