Xbox 360 Game Install Sizes and Loading Times: 900+ games! (Celebrating 5+ years!)

Kane & Lynch: Dead Men - 5.5GB
Just Cause - 5.4GB

I'm actually going to go over performance for both Condemned and Halo 3 with the new NXE just to end the performance question once and for all on these two games. I'll post the results soon.

Unofficially, Halo 3 still takes quite a while to load from the HDD versus loading from DVD, but I'll wait for dumlaox to confirm this.

Halo 3 - RED - Tests were done after a cache clearing to ensure that the HDD install wasn't aided by the pre-cache loading the game uses to quickly load levels after they are immediately played.

From DVD
Campaign Lobby: Arrival on Normal - 55 seconds

From HDD
Campaign Lobby: Arrival on Normal - 123 seconds

I'm going ahead with Condemned testing but feel free to test out Halo 3 for yourselves since I don't remember things going this badly before.

Condemned - WHITE - Consider this the first game to actually be improved by th new NXE. I'm certainly surprised.

From DVD
New Game - 9 seconds

From HDD
New Game - 9 seconds

Hey, SynGamer, you missed a few games put up before your 3:18PM list update:

The Darkness - 6.8GB
Culdcept Saga - 4.6GB
Dance Dance Revolution 3 - 3.6GB
Dark Sector - 1.3GB
PopCap Arcade vol. 2 - Not Supported
Far Cry 2 - 3.7GB
Devil May Cry 4 - 6.5GB
DiRT - 6.1GB

You also have Far Cry Instincts Predator listed at 459GB. It should be 4.5GB

BTW, what's your feeling on the sizes coming from EU gamers? Include them in the list or not?

My listing for Fuel is mysteriously missing from the list. Here i is again with the new NXE size:

Fuel - 3.7GB - WHITE - It averages between 2-3 seconds of savings if done from HDD rather than DVD.

From DVD
Initial Load - 10 seconds
To Main Menu - 29 seconds
Free Ride - 14 seconds

From HDD
Initial Load - 8 seconds
To Main Menu - 26 seconds
Free Ride - 12 seconds

--------------

Lego Batman - 6.0GB
The Last Remnant - 12.3GB [Disc 1 - 5.9GB, Disc 2 - 6.4GB]

[quote name='dumlaox']Hey, SynGamer, you missed a few games put up before your 3:18PM list update:

The Darkness - 6.8GB
Culdcept Saga - 4.6GB
Dance Dance Revolution 3 - 3.6GB
Dark Sector - 1.3GB
PopCap Arcade vol. 2 - Not Supported
Far Cry 2 - 3.7GB
Devil May Cry 4 - 6.5GB
DiRT - 6.1GB

You also have Far Cry Instincts Predator listed at 459GB. It should be 4.5GB

BTW, what's your feeling on the sizes coming from EU gamers? Include them in the list or not?[/QUOTE]
Some of them haven't been the same...and this new list we have going post August NXE update has been confirmed by just about everyone to be NTSC/N.A. so my personal feelings are to keep things NTSC...let gameinstalls.com deal with other regions since it's a website with more options than we have here as a forum.

[quote name='SynGamer']I think for the time being, anyone with the update can continue to post game sizes and performance. The update will go live to everyone on the 11th I believe. I'll make a note of this in the first post, can't believe MS has been fucking us over space wise for so long. I smell a lawsuit coming (charing $100+ for the 120GB HDD when some people may not have needed that much space?)...[/QUOTE]

I smell a retard posting...

[quote name='Xizer']I smell a retard posting...[/QUOTE]

I think you need to get your nose fixed. We're talking about Microsoft...one of the largest (if not THEE largest) software company's in the world. You can't tell me they didn't know they were including padding/dummy files and artificially inflating install sizes when NXE first came out.

[quote name='SynGamer']I think you need to get your nose fixed. We're talking about Microsoft...one of the largest (if not THEE largest) software company's in the world. You can't tell me they didn't know they were including padding/dummy files and artificially inflating install sizes when NXE first came out.[/QUOTE]

Hmm yes, not shaving off a couple hundred megabytes is part of an insidious scheme to get you to purchase their 120 GB hard drive over their 20 GB hard drive!

Those few megabytes really make the difference when it comes to games that average over 6 GB each.

Unreal Tournament 3 - 5.9GB
Import Tuner Challenge - 3.1GB
Need For Speed: ProStreet - 5.1GB
Viva Pinata: Trouble In Paradise - 4.9GB
F.E.A.R. Files - 6.2GB

[quote name='Xizer']Hmm yes, not shaving off a couple hundred megabytes is part of an insidious scheme to get you to purchase their 120 GB hard drive over their 20 GB hard drive!

Those few megabytes really make the difference when it comes to games that average over 6 GB each.[/QUOTE]

Ask the Dr. to take a look at your eyes as well. Obviously you haven't checked the list over all too well or you would see that the average game is clocking in around 4.5 GB. If you had a 20GB HDD you could install roughly 3 games (20GB HDDs have about 13.5 GB left after formatting). Some of the game sizes posted yesterday and today have seen a savings of over 2GB in some cases, with many games saving close to 1GB. It adds up quickly. I can easily see a lot of people buying a 60GB HDD (or 120GB HDD) when they realize they can only install 3-4 games on their 20GB HDD.

I guess I'll add this:

Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2: 6.7GB

This is before the new update, I haven't had a chance to reinstall it yet, I'll do it soon though.

[quote name='SynGamer']Ask the Dr. to take a look at your eyes as well. Obviously you haven't checked the list over all too well or you would see that the average game is clocking in around 4.5 GB. If you had a 20GB HDD you could install roughly 3 games (20GB HDDs have about 13.5 GB left after formatting). Some of the game sizes posted yesterday and today have seen a savings of over 2GB in some cases, with many games saving close to 1GB. It adds up quickly. I can easily see a lot of people buying a 60GB HDD (or 120GB HDD) when they realize they can only install 3-4 games on their 20GB HDD.[/QUOTE]

Son, I have around 15 games installed to my 120 GB hard drive. You don't have to lecture me about file sizes.

Even after this file reduction, you're still going to fit the same number of games you could before on a 20 GB hard drive. It is not a big enough file size reduction to fit on an extra game. It is a big enough reduction to fit an extra game on a 120 GB hard drive.

There are only a handful of titles which see an improvement 1 GB or more. The majority I have seen listed see an improvement of a few hundred megabytes at the most.

[quote name='Xizer']Son, I have around 15 games installed to my 120 GB hard drive. You don't have to lecture me about file sizes.

Even after this file reduction, you're still going to fit the same number of games you could before on a 20 GB hard drive. It is not a big enough file size reduction to fit on an extra game. It is a big enough reduction to fit an extra game on a 120 GB hard drive.

There are only a handful of titles which see an improvement 1 GB or more. The majority I have seen listed see an improvement of a few hundred megabytes at the most.[/QUOTE]

Boy, don't make me take off my belt! You heard what I said, now get back in your room. Kids these days...

Anyway, aside from the douchebag who posted above me, this should allow people with 20GB HDDs to fit an extra game or three depending on what they play. Just surprised MS didn't do this type of installation to begin with. Keep reporting sizes and performance, we've got a pretty nice start on the new sizes so far. Going to install a couple of games later tonight/tomorrow before work.

[quote name='SynGamer']this should allow people with 20GB HDDs to fit an extra game or three[/QUOTE]

[quote name='SynGamer']this should allow people with 20GB HDDs to fit an extra game or three[/QUOTE]

Just quoting this for posterity.

What an extravagant display of dumbassery.

And don't try backtracking when you get called out by trying to use the "oh umm I didn't mean retail games you install, I meant uhh, Arcade games! Yeah!"

[quote name='Xizer']Son, I have around 15 games installed to my 120 GB hard drive. You don't have to lecture me about file sizes.

There are only a handful of titles which see an improvement 1 GB or more. The majority I have seen listed see an improvement of a few hundred megabytes at the most.[/QUOTE]

I don't know about you, but I will be able to have more arcade games and maybe video on my hard drive. I have like 30 arcade games and it is welcome to have more room.

Soul Calibur IV 5.9GB > 4.3GB

BIG SAVINGS ALERT!!!!!!!!
Raiden Fighters Aces 3.4GB > 484MB

And damn I haven't seen a cat fight in a minute, can you guys get back to topic and post games.
I already posted 3 games with 1GB+ of savings and if you include this Raiden Fighters there's that extra game that could be put on the 20GB
Now both of you can shut up.

[quote name='Xizer']Just quoting this for posterity.

What an extravagant display of dumbassery.

And don't try backtracking when you get called out by trying to use the "oh umm I didn't mean retail games you install, I meant uhh, Arcade games! Yeah!"[/QUOTE]

Did you know Dark Sector (retail game) clocks in 1.3 GB? Before it took up 3.4 GB. That's a savings of 2.1 GB. Left 4 Dead took up 5.0 GB before, now it only takes up 3.8 GB, a savings of 1.2 GB. Before the update, the lowest size was 3.4 GB, so If I wanted to install the Sonic Ultimate Genesis Collection, it would have taken up 3.4 GB, but now, it only takes up 698 MB. That's a savings of 2.7 GB. So the breakdown so far;

Before August NXE Update - 3 games (listed above) came to 11.8 GB
After August NXE Update - 3 games (listed above) comes to 5.8 GB

That's a savings of 6GB which could potentially lead to installing three extra games. Only other option would have been to buy the 60 or 120 GB HDD...which are both way overpriced. Keep in mind the three games I used were all retail games.

I was going to test the performance of Ghostbusters, and was wondering if I should test it installed before preview and after, or just after as that is the next update?

[quote name='EarthBoundX5']I was going to test the performance of Ghostbusters, and was wondering if I should test it installed before preview and after, or just after as that is the next update?[/QUOTE]
Just test it after the update. Before the update won't do us much good anymore :)

[quote name='SynGamer']Just test it after the update. Before the update won't do us much good anymore :)[/QUOTE]

It would for those stuck out of the beta, lmao

[quote name='EarthBoundX5']It would for those stuck out of the beta, lmao[/QUOTE]

The update will go live for everyone in roughly a week though, so might as well test performance on the new update.

[quote name='EarthBoundX5']I was going to test the performance of Ghostbusters, and was wondering if I should test it installed before preview and after, or just after as that is the next update?[/QUOTE]

Since we already have the size for Ghostbusters for the new NXE install, I would try to do performance tests for the game instead. Performance is just as important as game size when it comes to Xbox 360 game installs.

Also, don't forget to check the list on page 1 before posting your findings. We're already seeing people post up games several times over that we're already noted the first time around. No need to post up the same thing over and over again when other games haven't been discovered yet.

[quote name='dumlaox']Since we already have the size for Ghostbusters for the new NXE install, I would try to do performance tests for the game instead. Performance is just as important as game size when it comes to Xbox 360 game installs.

Also, don't forget to check the list on page 1 before posting your findings. We're already seeing people post up games several times over that we're already noted the first time around. No need to post up the same thing over and over again when other games haven't been discovered yet.[/QUOTE]

Ya...I don't think you got what I was saying. I was going to test performance of the game (file size is not performance at all), I just was wondering if I should do it for both before and after update (but thats already been answered a few posts back).

Also I am not stupid, I already saw the game listed as grey, so I thought I would help.

[quote name='EarthBoundX5']Ya...I don't think you got what I was saying. I was going to test performance of the game (file size is not performance at all), I just was wondering if I should do it for both before and after update (but thats already been answered a few posts back).

Also I am not stupid, I already saw the game listed as grey, so I thought I would help.[/QUOTE]

Your help is greatly appreciated :)

sorry took so long, had some other things to do, here are my results...

Ghostbusters - 6.2GB - Green

From DVD
Initial Load - 24 sec
Loading Xbox LIVE screen - 13 sec
Back to Menu from Live - 11 sec
Loading Single Player Save - 38 sec

From HDD
Initial Load - 19 sec
Loading Xbox LIVE screen - 9 sec
Back to Menu from Live - 7 sec
Loading Single Player Save - 25 sec

For "Loading Xbox LIVE screen", not sure if this is dependent on internet speeds
For "Back to Menu from Live", this is from the screen that asks to continue Live or go play Singleplayer

Install size updates:

Bionicle Heroes - 3.4 GB > 1.7 GB
Cabela's Alaskan Adventures - 3.4 GB > 2.8 GB
Fuzion Frenzy 2 - 3.4 GB > 1.2 GB
Guitar Hero Aerosmith - 4.5 GB > 4.4 GB
Sega Superstars Tennis - 3.4 GB > 3.3 GB
Table Tennis - 3.4 GB > 3.3 GB
Tetris Evolution - 3.4 GB > 981 MB
Thrillville: Off the Rails - 3.4 GB > 2.6 GB

[quote name='EarthBoundX5']Ya...I don't think you got what I was saying. I was going to test performance of the game (file size is not performance at all), I just was wondering if I should do it for both before and after update (but thats already been answered a few posts back).

Also I am not stupid, I already saw the game listed as grey, so I thought I would help.[/QUOTE]

I apologize if you believed that I was directing my last sentence towards you. I was just posting that as a reminder to all forum posters that have been posting things like Grand Theft Auto 4 or Street Fighter 4 sizes for the umpteenth time.

Wanted: Weapons Of Fate - 6.8GB
WWE Legends Of Wrestlemania - 6.5GB
X-Men Origins: Wolverine - 6.4GB
Wheelman - 6.4GB

Clive Barker's Jericho - 3.1GB - WHITE - NO real difference loading between mediums.

From DVD
Campaign: Blackwatch - 26 seconds

From HDD
Campaign: Blackwatch - 25 seconds

Ridge Racer 6 - 6.1GB
Project Gotham Racing 3 - 6.0GB
Mercenaries 2: World In Flames - 5.9GB
Operation Darkness - 4.3GB
Overlord - 2.4GB

Since i got ignored last time i posted I'll do it again.

GH: Aerosmith: 4.4 GB (0.1 GB less than before)
Lost Via Domus: 4.0 GB (0.2 GB less than before)

BTW I'm in Europe and I'm in the NXE 2009 update beta, and these 2 games are the same size as the US versions, so please quit ignoring EU posts.

and again... I'm new here and I wonder how I can get my Gamercard as my signature. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dumlaox']Ridge Racer 6 - 6.1GB
Project Gotham Racing 3 - 6.0GB
Mercenaries 2: World In Flames - 5.9GB
Operation Darkness - 4.3GB
Overlord - 2.4GB[/QUOTE]

DAMMIT, I was going through my games that have no updated size and I just finished Merc 2!! WHY OR WHY DID YOU MAKE MY TIME WASTED, lol.

Using the new Preview update...

Guitar Hero: Aerosmith - 4.4GB
Ironman - 6.8GB
Mirror's Edge - 5.5GB
Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe - 6.0GB
Rock Band 4.9GB
The Incredible Hulk - 4.0GB
TimeShift - 4.4GB

Also 2 possible errors I saw in the list...
1. I swear Dead Space improves on HDD, I have no data but have tried it. Someone should check it, cause its different from most games in that the loading takes place when you open doors.

2. The + next to "You're In The Movies" is red, and the title is white.

I have more games that need performance tests and performance test and size, also I have one game not listed. I will post those when I test them (as soon as I can).

EDIT: I had Merc 2, but dumlaox beat me to the post
EDIT 2: DAMN, looks like while I was installing the games, radjago beat me to the post of GH Aerosmith too

Here is the game I mentioned that is not listed...

Rock Band Track Pack Volume 2 - 2.6GB - Green
DVD
Initial Load - 32 sec
Loading The Perfect Drug - 22 sec
Quit to Menu - 5 sec

HDD
Initial Load - 26 sec
Loading The Perfect Drug - 15 sec
Quit to Menu - 3 sec

EDIT: Using Preview update

Halo Wars - 5.7GB - Blue
DVD
Initial Load - 24 sec
Load Saved Campaign (after skipping cutscene) - 12 sec
Loading Skirmish - 22 sec

HDD
Initial Load - 23 sec
Load Saved Campaign (after skipping cutscene) - 9 sec
Loading Skirmish - 17 sec

Lost Planet: Extreme Condition: Colonies - 6.6GB - White (or maybe Blue)
DVD
Initial Load - 20 sec
Load Save - 11 sec

HDD
Initial Load - 18 sec
Load Save - 6 sec

I have like 8 more to do and my g/f wants me to come to bed ;), so I'll do the rest in the morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
EarthboundX5, you can put stuff in a single post you know. There's an edit button and everything. You don't have to make 5 posts in a row over 2 hours.

I apologize if this is a stupid question or if it has already been asked.
After the update is released, do you have to delete and re-install each game?
I would assume so but it wouldn't be that difficult for MS to write a script to use the existing install and patch it to the new slimmer version since the entire DVD is technically on the hard drive.
Thanks.

Yes, once the update is released, any previously installed games must be deleted and re-installed to get the new sizes.

shrike4242 - Why did you essentially edit and tag over my post and EarthBoundX5's post? I ask because this part of the post wasn't mine:

--

BTW I'm in Europe and I'm in the NXE 2009 update beta, and these 2 games are the same size as the US versions, so please quit ignoring EU posts.

and again... I'm new here and I wonder how I can get my Gamercard as my signature. Thank you!

[quote name='Wolfpup']What are you guys talking about? What update? Why would it affect game sizes?[/QUOTE]

The update we're talking about is the new NXE dashboard coming to all 360 consoles on the 11th of August. Some of us were lucky enough to be part of the preview program to check it out. Early Saturday morning I discovered that installing 360 games on the HDD now took up less space on the drive. After that discovery, all of us CAG posters who have the new dash have been feverishly testing every game we can to see what the new install sizes are.

According to an article on Digital Foundry, the new dashboard is acting just like the debug one in that it's stripping away duplicate files and dummy files from the game installation, resulting in smaller file sizes while maintaining game performance. This matches up with our theories formulated over the weekend.

BTW, this thread got linked by Kotaku (I got quoted. Yay! :D )over the weekend and by Joystiq this morning.

Huh, thanks for the explanation Dumlaox! Glad to hear it's not achieving that by running part of it off the disc or something.

I've only got a 20, so obviously any help I can get is appreciated! (Though I'm okay installing one game, along with some demos and a few other things...keep figuring they HAVE to release a larger hard drive sooner or later.)

[quote name='dumlaox']Yes, once the update is released, any previously installed games must be deleted and re-installed to get the new sizes.

shrike4242 - Why did you essentially edit and tag over my post and EarthBoundX5's post? I ask because this part of the post wasn't mine:

--

and again... I'm new here and I wonder how I can get my Gamercard as my signature. Thank you![/QUOTE]

Hey! Why did you post my post?

[quote name='Infiniti Z']Hey! Why did you post my post?[/QUOTE]

I didn't. That's what I'm trying to find out. Someone edited my post and threw your stuff there. I'm waiting for an explanation since I've never seen that guy post here in this thread before.

[quote name='dumlaox']The update we're talking about is the new NXE dashboard coming to all 360 consoles on the 11th of August. Some of us were lucky enough to be part of the preview program to check it out. Early Saturday morning I discovered that installing 360 games on the HDD now took up less space on the drive. After that discovery, all of us CAG posters who have the new dash have been feverishly testing every game we can to see what the new install sizes are.

According to an article on Digital Foundry, the new dashboard is acting just like the debug one in that it's stripping away duplicate files and dummy files from the game installation, resulting in smaller file sizes while maintaining game performance. This matches up with our theories formulated over the weekend.

BTW, this thread got linked by Kotaku (I got quoted. Yay! :D )over the weekend and by Joystiq this morning.[/QUOTE]
I AIM'd and e-mailed all of the editors when you first posted the new sizes so I'm glad they finally put an article up. Bastards refuse to acknowledge me every time I send in a news tip :p

[quote name='dumlaox']Much obliged, SynGamer. Now if work would just be done with today so I could get back to working on the list :p[/QUOTE]

Just updated the list. Going to go pay bills, do some laundry, check some game sizes myself, and then work at 7 PM EST.

bread's done
Back