XBOX 360 Hard Drive deals for new Arcade owners requested

Kerig

Target won BF'23 w/$350 consoles
Feedback
85 (100%)
Well, today officially added plenty of new 360 users into the mix, but we all have $100 Arcade units.

I need an HD (60GB or 120GB) but won't pay retail, and I don't think I want one from China (unless I'm persuaded otherwise).

eBay seems to keep things in the $45-$65 range, recommendations from satisfied previous purchasers of specific eBay sellers will be highly appreciated if that's the best route to go, or any other online deals or CAGs with one for sale would be great, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I came here to post exactly the same message.
Now we all got a primary, or in my case a secondary 360.. how can we get a cheap HD for it?
I'd even settle for a 20gig HD if it was cheap..

-Mike

Same boat here. A lot of the eBay drives look like fakes, though (and I don't want to take a chance since it looks like they may be MS's next target)

I ended up buying an open box 120GB from Amazon Warehouse today ($84). Since I would've spent up to $70 on an eBay one, the extra few bucks for an official MS model is money well spent IMO.

[quote name='FrankTheFrowner']Same boat here. A lot of the eBay drives look like fakes, though (and I don't want to take a chance since it looks like they may be MS's next target)

I ended up buying an open box 120GB from Amazon Warehouse today ($84). Since I would've spent up to $70 on an eBay one, the extra few bucks for an official MS model is money well spent IMO.[/QUOTE]

The already block those fake memory card. The "fake" drive are simply copy of a real HDD, which you can make one yourself. Those thing works fine, and you can get a 250GB for cheap.

[quote name='FrankTheFrowner']Same boat here. A lot of the eBay drives look like fakes, though (and I don't want to take a chance since it looks like they may be MS's next target)[/QUOTE]
Word on the street is that they are undetectable, as they identify exactly as a legitimate 360 HDD with the same firmware (they also use the same model HDDs the 360 ones are based off of). The update only blocked the Datel memory cards that allowed you to store things on SD cards.

Anywho, I bought from dealtree-auctions, a subsidiary of Best Buy used as an outlet, and received a 20GB HDD off of ebay a week ago for $20.50 w/ free shipping. It does not look like they have any more HDDs at the moment, though. $1/GB is pretty terrible, honestly, but the casing can be "reused".

The current 120GB is $160 ($1.33/GB) at retail, but you can find it for $60 used ($0.50/GB) which is the same as getting a new 120GB HDD at Newegg (link). I have seen 60GBs at the $40 range as well ($0.66/GB), but the price/GB is not that great compared to a used 120GB. At the moment, a new 250GB HDD off of Newegg is $60 ($0.24/GB link), which is ultimately the best deal in terms of price/GB ($20 "case", $0.32/GB), but is much more shady :).

Take that $25 shipped deal from that CAG above. Pretty good price for a 20 gig. Kind of sad that $25 for 20gb is a good deal huh? Welcome to Microsoft raping your pockets.

There's absolutely no way I'm buying a 20GB, way too cramped.

I'm thinking of getting a 60GB kit from eBay without the 3-month live card for $55.99 shipped from this guy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200384387029&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

He has 29 available and says it's genuine MS, plus ships it out Priority Mail. I'll scavenge through his feedback tonight before making my final decision.

I know it's not the best deal, but I don't have a headset, which would cost me $10 minimum used, so it'll be like getting the HDD for $46.

I have a extra brand new 120 gb hard drive still sealed. I had 3 360 and decided to keep 1 120 gig hd instead of 2 120 and wanted to keep a couple of 20 for spares. PM if interested.

Bezerker, are you sure Sears sell 120gb hard drives at 13 bucks? If that's true, my local Sears at the mall better have some at that price.

[quote name='Headfamilyga']I have a extra brand new 120 gb hard drive still sealed. I had 3 360 and decided to keep 1 120 gig hd instead of 2 120 and wanted to keep a couple of 20 for spares. PM if interested.[/QUOTE]

I PMed you on Sunday and haven't gotten a response. I guess I'll assume you haven't gotten the PM, already unloaded the hdd, or my offer wasn't good enough.

Let me know if none of those apply.

[quote name='scoville']I PMed you on Sunday and haven't gotten a response. I guess I'll assume you haven't gotten the PM, already unloaded the hdd, or my offer wasn't good enough.

Let me know if none of those apply.[/QUOTE]

He may be waiting for the OP to respond first, since it seemed like the offer came to him first.

Hi! I too, am looking for an Xbox 360 HDD for a good price, so any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!

I purchased a 120gb HDD from China last year for about $77 shipped on eBay to replaced my original 20gb. Have had no problems with it. It has all the factory Microsoft security stickers on it. Not long after, another China supplier was selling ones for $68 shipped. Not sure what they are going for today.

[quote name='Kerig']There's absolutely no way I'm buying a 20GB, way too cramped.

I'm thinking of getting a 60GB kit from eBay without the 3-month live card for $55.99 shipped from this guy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200384387029&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

He has 29 available and says it's genuine MS, plus ships it out Priority Mail. I'll scavenge through his feedback tonight before making my final decision.

I know it's not the best deal, but I don't have a headset, which would cost me $10 minimum used, so it'll be like getting the HDD for $46.[/QUOTE]

Looks like a good deal, especially if it's genuine MS.

I bought a 120GB from an eBay seller (via Amazon) and everything on the outside of the unit looked legit. But the drive didn't support ANY Xbox Original backwards compatibility. It worked fine with all 360 functionality (saves, game images, etc). Luckily Amazon has a nice guarantee and the seller was willing to give a full refund + my shipping costs. So the Hong Kong knockoffs will probably be fine if you don't care about old Xbox titles.

I went to Gamestop, used Edge and got the 120GB for $90 + Tax.

[quote name='okonkwo']Looks like a good deal, especially if it's genuine MS.

I bought a 120GB from an eBay seller (via Amazon) and everything on the outside of the unit looked legit. But the drive didn't support ANY Xbox Original backwards compatibility. It worked fine with all 360 functionality (saves, game images, etc). Luckily Amazon has a nice guarantee and the seller was willing to give a full refund + my shipping costs. So the Hong Kong knockoffs will probably be fine if you don't care about old Xbox titles.

I went to Gamestop, used Edge and got the 120GB for $90 + Tax.[/QUOTE]

That person probably didn't format the partition 2 of the hdd after the drive was formatted.

I know that microsoft had this special where, for those with the arcade edition 360s, you could get a 20 gb hard drive for like $20 or $30, and it shipped with a 3 month gold card too. I did that when I got my 360 this year. Tried looking for the link, but I could not find it. However, I bet if you were to call them up, they would be happy to help. Unless you are planning to download movies and shows to the hard drive, 20 gb goes a long way. I figured that once microsoft comes out with a much bigger option, then that will probably be what I settle on. Hopefully worthwhile downloadable content will also come as discs available for purchase as well.

When was the Sears deal going on? Sounds like they would all be long gone by now. I am a proud new owner of the $100 Arcade 360. ^_^

I got an Arcade to replace my old Pro, but kept my 120GB HDD. My nephew got an Arcade, and is looking for a drive.

I do remember that deal where Microsoft sold refurbished drives for cheap to Arcaade owners. I can't find any information on it anymore.

EDIT: Guess it used to be here: http://www.xboxstorageupgrade.com/. Doesn't look like that works anymore. Damn.

Hmmm... I'm also interested in one I guess - it would be a lot easier than swapping the HDD depending on which system I felt like playing.

I'm probably gonna hold out until Black Friday and hope that something good comes up. I can't believe what a rip off these drives are. It makes the deal I got from Amazon not seem so good. I'm remembering now why I got the PS3 first. It might have been a little more, but at least I wasn't nickel and dimed to gaming financial death!!! hehe..good thing I don't need a wireless adapter

The only thing I'm missing out on is a HD...

My question now is, I guess I have to have a HD to recover a gamertag? I have an Elite with no HD... It's not a 'Jasper', so I assume no internal memory?

Also I tried to connect to live and it wanted to update but failed, is that because there is no HD? Anybody with any info on these situations? New to the XBOX scene...

[quote name='okonkwo']Looks like a good deal, especially if it's genuine MS.

I went to Gamestop, used Edge and got the 120GB for $90 + Tax.[/QUOTE]

I have the same situation. I bought a 120gb from ebay many months ago that was "guaranteed" to be a real MS drive and not a knockoff.
I played everything fine for a long time but, just this week I turned on my 360 to play Halo (downloaded from marketplace) but first, it downloaded an update.
After that, I launched Halo and it said I needed to redownload the game. I deleted it and did so, but got the same message.

I sent of an email to MS support and got some unhelpful advice about downloading the backward compatibility patch (thought it was strange to need it for the downloaded game) and it still didn't work.

Just this morning I thought hey, I'll toss in Halo 2 and test it out because I played it not too long ago and it worked fine. It gave me the same message so, I really think that whatever was in their last update locked me from playing Xbox games and I am now certain that the HDD is a knockoff. :cry:

So, I too am in the group that will need to buy another, but I'm going to probably have to do it after I get my bonus in January because of their ridiculous prices.

Interesting info about the updates & BC.

I ended up sniping an auction on eBay (didn't plan on winning it, but my single bid for $1 more won) for a black 120GB for $62 shipped. The seller sells elites without an HDD and other weird parts, so I'm hoping it's just an HDD from an elite (being black definitely raises the chances of it being an actual M$ HDD exponentially, the China versions always seem to be gray/white)

For $62 instead of $150, I'll take my chances. BC isn't an issue, I've never owned an X-Box anything until now. I've always had a 1-console-per-generation limit with the exception of Genesis/SNES.

Any ideas on price drops on Amazon or elsewhere? It looks like some of the hard drives on Amazon have gone up in price just in the last week! Any ideas on black friday deals?

This sucks. I just picked up a 120GB (Black) from Gamestop for $100...

I feel so ripped. I think I'm going to return and wait... Only good thing is that it matches my Elite.

[quote name='JJSP']I bought my 120GB drive for $69.99 at Gamestop when they ran a 20% games and accessories coupon.[/QUOTE]

I ended up returning mine... Felt like I have NO need for 120GB's...

I'm gonna try and pick up a 20GB off craigslist or here on CAG. Maybe if they offer that 20% off sale I'll pick up one. Till then I guess I'll just be playing PS3...

I've got an extra 20 GB drive. Send me a PM if you are interested and we can work out a deal.

I bought an arcade last year, and got the refurbed HD from MS. After BF I bought one of the packs from Circuit City when they had a controller and 20 GB hard drive bundled together. I've been holding it thinking a friend may buy an arcade and be in the same boat you guys are.

Deal pending, please don't send any more PM's please.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought my 120GB HDD @ amazon for 71 bucks with the Prime 1-month trial membership. Got it in the mail today, and no hassle on remaining data on my console's flash memory.

I just came back from my local gamestop, where they wanted $59.99 for a 20gb REFURBED Xbox 360HDD, there was also a 3 month free xbox live trial included, the 60gb hdd was $99 and the 120gb was $149.insane

[quote name='SonicChrono']I bought my 120GB HDD @ amazon for 71 bucks with the Prime 1-month trial membership. Got it in the mail today, and no hassle on remaining data on my console's flash memory.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, not seeing 120gb from Amazon for $71.

[quote name='hotwls13']Hmm, not seeing 120gb from Amazon for $71.[/QUOTE]

It's because I purchased it early before anyone else who wants it. That's a part of my Early Black Friday List I made.

[quote name='klwillis45']midnightbox.com has refurb 120GB drives for $66 shipped right now.[/QUOTE]

That's a good deal! Thanks!

Question is are they legit? (M$ made...)

bread's done
Back