Xbox 360 Hard Drive Transfer Question.

mrmagoo1974

CAGiversary!
Feedback
195 (100%)
Ok guys, its kind of a long story, but my question is this.... Can i transfer info from one 120 gig hard drive to another 120 gigger, even if the 120 gigger that i am transfering from has already been transfered to before....(the transferER was previously a transferEE...LOL)

About a year or so ago i decided to upgrade to the 120 gig hard drive, so i transfered everything over from my 20 gigger to the new 120 gigger. Fast forward to last night. I was playing fallout 3 and all of a sudden the screen froze and i had a bunch of vertical lines going down my tv, because the screen froze and the controller was unusable i hit the power button, waited a couple mins turned it back on, got back in the game and in about 2 mins it happened again. Well i kept turning it off, then on, then getting in the game and 2 ,and 2 mins in the game every time it would freeze again. So right around the 5th time I went to turn it back on and bam....R R O D. I got the dreaded3 red rings. I have a LAUNCH machine, and i had a feeling my time was coming....So i turned it off, then on, still R R O D, i did this about 3 or 4 times, then suddenly it came back on, and now not only is it playing but i have not had any of those freezes either. I played for a good couple hours last night (and today) after that whole ordeal and not one hiccup.

Now here is the thing, I have a feeling even though everything seems ok now, that its going to crap the bed soon. I have pretty much made up my mind that i want to go with the elite when this one dies. This might sound very anal retentive, but i know its going to bug me to put a white hard drive on a black elite system, so thats why i want to know if its ok or POSSIBLE to transfer all my stuff from a harddrive thats already had stuff transfered to it, and now pass that info on to another harddrive.........

Thanks!

I haven't been in this exact situation, but from what I understand a hard disk can only have it's contents replicated once. The fact that the data on the disk is itself from a copy of another drive isn't a problem.

So assuming you're buying a brand new Elite with a brand new disk, and your first 120Gb drive was brand new then you should be fine.

[quote name='hamsternator']I
So assuming you're buying a brand new Elite with a brand new disk, and your first 120Gb drive was brand new then you should be fine.[/QUOTE]

Yes that is my EXACT situation....

Is the console under warranty? If it is, after contacting M$ for your repair, u send in ur console WITHOUT the hardrive. rather than fix urs they send u a new one and u slap ur HD on it. even if there's a repair charge ur still saving the cost of a new Elite.

[quote name='5of9']Is the console under warranty? If it is, after contacting M$ for your repair, u send in ur console WITHOUT the hardrive. rather than fix urs they send u a new one and u slap ur HD on it. even if there's a repair charge ur still saving the cost of a new Elite.[/QUOTE]

Its a LAUNCH unit so i highly doubt it :)

Yes, you can transfer from a 120GB drive to a 120GB drive, though you need a newer transfer kit to do it. The original transfer kit only does a 20GB to 120GB transfer, the newer kit does same size drive transfers.

You need to contact Microsoft to get the transfer kit.

bread's done
Back