Xbox 360 HD-DVD Player w/Free ship @ Amazon

Nice, thanks OP... I will be getting mine from BB I have over 100.00 in Rewardzone and a Giftcard, But I did like this tid bit "Availability: This item will be released on November 7, 2006. Pre-order now. Ships from and sold by Amazon.com."

Anyone know if the HD-DVD player, and the 360 will power on at the same time? or do you have to press a on/off for both? I am planning on buying a Harmony remote before november, and I was afraid the harmony remote may not be able to learn the HD-DVD add on's functions.

Anyone surprised that it ranks #20 for amazon video games? Right after Gears of War and before Pokemon DS.

I'll pick it up at Best Buy as well, assuming my Best Buy Bucks come in the mail.

[quote name='tenzor']Anyone know if the HD-DVD player, and the 360 will power on at the same time? or do you have to press a on/off for both? I am planning on buying a Harmony remote before november, and I was afraid the harmony remote may not be able to learn the HD-DVD add on's functions.[/QUOTE]

You have to have the 360 on to work this....I believe it just adds to the dashboard, like PLAY HD-DVD. I have a 360 Harmony remote, and I would assume it would work just fine. Hopefully I don't have to update my remote, as I hate the software used to update it.

[quote name='doubledown']You have to have the 360 on to work this....I believe it just adds to the dashboard, like PLAY HD-DVD. I have a 360 Harmony remote, and I would assume it would work just fine. Hopefully I don't have to update my remote, as I hate the software used to update it.[/QUOTE]

Correct sir.

I had the same concerns since I also own the pure sex Harmony remote. The player will come with an update disc that will modify your 360 dashboard with aa "Play HD DVD movie" option.

[quote name='soulwish2003']Use your Chase/Amazon card and pick up 600 points... not bad.[/quote]

ive had that stupid card for a while now and not once have i gained anything from it.. takes 4ever to get points for me... and they gave me a gay limit

[quote name='PyroGamer']Is the HD-DVD player silent? Will the 360 be as loud as it is when playing DVDs?[/QUOTE]

I believe it only uses 1 fan or soemthing like that....so, it will not be AS loud. I guess discussion about the HD-DVD should be kept in the official thread in the 360 forum.

So, ship date is Nov. 7th or 17th or 22nd? Heard them all.

Hell I even heard November 30th. I'd like to know when the money is gonna be taken out, because of the sheer amount of things I have going on between now and November 30th to be exact.... Hell I know its a little off topic but that 360 wireless headset is that officially confirmed for next week?

[quote name='captmurphy']Tempting, but I think I will wait on the whole HD-DVD/Blueray thing until a clear winner emerges....[/quote]

very true, i just want to put my home theatre in its complete element, so i am quick to jump at a cheaper hd dvd player

[quote name='captmurphy']Tempting, but I think I will wait on the whole HD-DVD/Blueray thing until a clear winner emerges....[/QUOTE]

I'm taking the fuck it get both approach. :D

I just pre-ordered at GS for mine. As much as I like free shipping and no tax, I really want mine on November 8th (when GS said they are getting them in).

Jeremy

[quote name='flatliner718']very true, i just want to put my home theatre in its complete element, so i am quick to jump at a cheaper hd dvd player[/QUOTE]

Agreed totally. I wouldn't plop down more than $200 on either one of these formats but this is attractive enough to take the chance.

I'd be more worried about Blu Ray than HD-DVD at the moment -- the lower-cost alternative with more titles being available has a brighter future ahead than a format that's much more prohibitively expensive in both manufacturing costs and consumer price. Beta was supposedly better than VHS and look what happened there.

Chances are that, even if Blu Ray succeeds because of the PS3, it's not going to be enough of an overwhelming success to eliminate HD-DVD and the faster inroads it's making -- which makes this offer worth doing for me at least.

[quote name='rodeojones903']I'm taking the fuck it get both approach. :D[/quote]

that works for me too... lol but blueray will have to wait till next year.. fuck sony and their shitty launch hardware

[quote name='guyver2077']well it does come with a remote and king kong so thats a plus[/QUOTE]
The listing on Amazon doesn't show that is comes with King Kong. I know the one from EB/GS does. I just want to make sure they all come with it 'cause I definately want King Kong on HD. I saw the demo at Best Buy and it looks amazing.

[quote name='djinni']The listing on Amazon doesn't show that is comes with King Kong. I know the one from EB/GS does. I just want to make sure they all come with it 'cause I definately want King Kong on HD. I saw the demo at Best Buy and it looks amazing.[/QUOTE]

The amazon one will have king kong and the remote. Its not an EB/GS thing, its a microsoft thing. Sorta like how the first million xbox 360s or so had a remote, the first 1 million psps has spiderman 2, and the launch ps3s will have Talladega Nights.

[quote name='pinoy530']The amazon one will have king kong and the remote. Its not an EB/GS thing, its a microsoft thing. Sorta like how the first million xbox 360s or so had a remote, the first 1 million psps has spiderman 2, and the launch ps3s will have Talladega Nights.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the confirmation. I don't have to have it on the release date and I'd rather save the tax of $15.50

Now comes the dreaded "Do I want to rebuy my dvd collection?"

For people with the Harmony Remotes. Your Harmony remote can "learn" any other remotes functions. You have to use the software but you just press the button for the remote to turn on your HD in front of your harmony remote.

I really dont care about this because there are no good movie selections for either Blu Ray or HD DVD. No matrix, no Wayne's World, no Madagascar, no Donnie Darko, no Fight Club, etc etc...

So this makes the 360 more expensive than the ps3!!!

xbox premium= $400, wireless adaptor = $100, HD-DVD Player = $200 ... Grand total = $700

PS3 = Wireless internet, Blu ray player + 60 gig hard drive = $600... WTF? Why were people complaining about the cost of the ps3? I dont get it!!:roll:

Well for one thing, you don't have to buy the wireless adapter if you don't need it (and even if you want wireless, there are much cheaper options). For another, you don't need to buy the HD drive unless you need it. I know I don't plan to buy either one of them, but the PS3 doesn't give me that choice.

Holding out for a better deal....if one doesn't show up I'll probably just get it at Best Buy with the Monopoly money I collect or whatever.

I'm hoping it's not sold out, although at the same time I kind of am, since it will indicate the drive is doing well. Would be a nice little boost to the format.

[quote name='djinni']Now comes the dreaded "Do I want to rebuy my dvd collection?"[/QUOTE]

Nah. This has been discussed in the 360 forum previously, but really...I'm only going to buy the movies that actually take advantage of the format - Batman Begins, maybe Army of Darkness....there's really no need to buy a comedy or drama film on HD-DVD, unless you're really obsessed over picture quality. Also keep in mind a lot of Blu-Ray and HD-DVDs are currently lacking extras that their DVD counterparts have.

Holding out for a better deal....if one doesn't show up I'll probably just get it at Best Buy with the Monopoly money I collect or whatever.

I'm hoping it's not sold out, although at the same time I kind of am, since it will indicate the drive is doing well. Would be a nice little boost to the format.

[quote name='djinni']Now comes the dreaded "Do I want to rebuy my dvd collection?"[/QUOTE]

Nah. This has been discussed in the 360 forum previously, but really...I'm only going to buy the movies that actually take advantage of the format - Batman Begins, maybe Army of Darkness....there's really no need to buy a comedy or drama film on HD-DVD, unless you're really obsessed over picture quality. Also keep in mind a lot of Blu-Ray and HD-DVDs are currently lacking extras that their DVD counterparts have.

[quote name='oasisboy']So this makes the 360 more expensive than the ps3!!!

xbox premium= $400, wireless adaptor = $100, HD-DVD Player = $200 ... Grand total = $700

PS3 = Wireless internet, Blu ray player + 60 gig hard drive = $600... WTF? Why were people complaining about the cost of the ps3? I dont get it!!:roll:[/quote]

off topic but im gonna have to somewhat agree with him. the 360 and ps3 are basically the same price. but ultimately, im gonna have to wait like the other guys to see who's the media winner.

[quote name='kcc86']off topic but im gonna have to somewhat agree with him. the 360 and ps3 are basically the same price. but ultimately, im gonna have to wait like the other guys to see who's the media winner.[/quote]
well I like Sony and all, but with the 360 they give you a choice. A big percent of 360 owners don't care about the HD-DVD player and some people prefer wired internet connection or no internet at all. With the PS3 Complete system you are forced to have all of those even if you don't care.

However the PS3 60gig Hard Drive for the 600 system is nice considering 20GB is not enough after the format capacity, demos, arcade games etc for the 360.

[quote name='oasisboy']PS3 = Wireless internet, Blu ray player + 60 gig hard drive = $600... WTF? Why were people complaining about the cost of the ps3? I dont get it!!:roll:[/QUOTE]

Umm, because Microsoft isn't FORCING you to pay for a HD-based DVD format, maybe? This drive is there for those who want it; Sony gives you no option.

There's a pretty good chance you will be able to get combo HDDVD/Blu Ray players in the near future. Hell, at some point I'm sure they will settle and the discs will be dual sided.

The HD DVD Player still cannot connect through HDMI. So how much better will the picture be compared to a regular DVD Player?

[quote name='dsullo']The HD DVD Player still cannot connect through HDMI. So how much better will the picture be compared to a regular DVD Player?[/QUOTE]

HDMI does not really have anything to do with picture quality. It's more a convenience/copy protection thing. The HD-DVD drive can output up to 1080p over component; picture quality is reported to be awesome.

Apparently these are selling pretty well.....I still hope to get it in-store, but I'm starting to get worried. Hoepfully I can go to Best Buy at launch early in the morning

[quote name='dsullo']The HD DVD Player still cannot connect through HDMI. So how much better will the picture be compared to a regular DVD Player?[/QUOTE]

Alot.. How much better is the 360 between SDTV and HDTV? HDMI is not the end all to be all yes it is a pure digital connection but this argument is a weak one but a component analog signal displays HD very well. You might start to see a difference between the 2 in a 60"+ 1080p screen but 9 out of 10 won't. I would love a HDMI cable for the 360 just for the pure convenience factor but you wont have less of a picture with out it..

[quote name='dsullo']My TV goes to 1080i not 1080p so is it worth it for me?[/QUOTE]

Yes... 1080i will be fine

[quote name='Kfoster1979']Alot.. How much better is the 360 between SDTV and HDTV? HDMI is not the end all to be all yes it is a pure digital connection but this argument is a weak one but a component analog signal displays HD very well. You might start to see a difference between the 2 in a 60"+ 1080p screen but 9 out of 10 won't. I would love a HDMI cable for the 360 just for the pure convenience factor but you wont have less of a picture with out it..
Yes... 1080i will be fine[/QUOTE]

I think an HDMI cable for the Xbox is a good idea, especially if it will upconvert DVD signals like you can do with the VGA adapter.

bread's done
Back