Xbox 360 HDD--60GB or 120--advice on buying?

Jesse_Dylan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I've still got the 20GB HDD, and with an ailing optical drive, I am really, really, really looking forward to game installs, even if I can only install one at a time. However, installing a few, with room to spare, and finally being able to download Psychonauts, would be ideal.

It's unfortunate the Microsoft hasn't lowered their insane prices on the 120GB HDD. Does anyone have advice on acquiring one? Are there deals anywhere? Is eBay a valid route? Will Microsoft finally drop the price point to something reasonable with the advent of NXE?

I need input, guys.

I think i remember reading in the target clearance thread that the 120 GBs are on clearance....

With the advent of NXE I think more people are thinking the same way as you tho so finding one at at a reasonable price will start to get harder as regular non-CAGs will probably start buying up those ridiculously priced 120 GB HDs...

With a day 1, original Xbox Pro (20GB HD), I was in the same boat.
My decision was between a brand new Xbox Elite, new chipset, HDMI, and 120 GBs.
I would have jumped on that for the brief $299 deals that were out there but they dried up fast.

or

120GB by itself.

I didn't need HDMI because my TV accepts a 1080p VGA signal but the drive was too expensive.
I have been watching the prices carefully and finally broke down on the current Target clearance price of $125.

Its a true shame because, to me, that is what the price of the drive should have been retail at on day one, actually $119.

So, I paid a bit more then I wanted but at least I am ready for the new dashboard.

I haven't seen anything on the 60GB separate except for the Arcade upgrade for $99.
I figure, for the extra $25, I'd rather have twice the drive size.

I'm not a big fan of gamestop, but their used $99 (120 Gb) are not a bad deal, if you can find one. If you take advantage of the 'Trade 2 wii, 360, ps3' games and get an extra $10.00 for every 2 games, you can walk away with a good deal (deal ends 11/2). I ended up trading in some games I didn't want, and only paying about $40.00 in the end.

Yeah, I'll probably just pony up and buy a clearance model from Target. I can't bring myself to fiddle with Gamestop.

There are actually methods to remove the 20gb HDD from its casing and replace it with a 120 yourself, on the cheap (about $50). Google xbox 360 hdd and you should get some videos and articles. It doesn't seem like something I'd want to do.

I'm hoping that with NXE and everyone wanting a bigger drive, MS would lower the price on the 120, but I think their solution was more to offer the 60gb with that extra junk for $100. That's fine for the Arcade owners (but then why didn't they just spend the extra $100 in the first place?), but like someone else said, I'd rather just pay a bit more for the 120.

I also read an article about why the drives cost so much. Microsoft does expensive outsourcing. They're still making quite a large profit on them, though.

Honestly, i would spend $50 on the 60GB HDD if it were that price...expensive compared to normal drives but worth the extra space. I'm actually tempted to do the HDD swap if i can find the correct drive cheap.

[quote name='SynGamer']Honestly, i would spend $50 on the 60GB HDD if it were that price...expensive compared to normal drives but worth the extra space. [/quote]

Yeah, no kidding. I'd've already sprung for that were it available. I feel like Microsoft has really poorly played this whole deal, or maybe I just feel like that cause we're the ones getting jacked around. I'm kind of tempted to do the swap myself. Maybe they didn't have the foresight to allow any HDD to be installed like on PS3, but whatever the case, it's an irritable situation. I'll just have to make do with my 20gb drive and installing one game at a time and no demos. :)

I'm not sure what's taking up all my space, actually... Nickel and dime Arcade game demos, I guess.

I would say 120 GB if your not on a tight budget but irregardless I think MS overcharges way too much when I can get a larger hard rive for sooo much less!!! It's ridiculous and insane.

Get the 120GB used, especially if you can fund it with used games (stack with edge obviously) for GC credit. Otherwise, you'll be spending way too much - seriously.

I grabbed a used 120GB drive from GS during the 20% any used games and accessories deal. Made it $69.99 before tax. Lots of CAGs did the same - keep an eye out for a good coupon - I'd recommend the Cellfire coupon, but I don't think it works on accessories.

A little off topic, but I'm in the same boat, so I have a question that needs to be answered:

How does the transfer of your data from the original hard-drive work? I obviously don't want to lose all my data/arcade games/etc.

[quote name='JJSP']I grabbed a used 120GB drive from GS during the 20% any used games and accessories deal. Made it $69.99 before tax. Lots of CAGs did the same - keep an eye out for a good coupon - I'd recommend the Cellfire coupon, but I don't think it works on accessories.[/quote]

Indeed. I think a ton of us on here have done that. Every time the 20% coupon comes up, you have people asking what the base price is for the 120GB HDD, considering it is not listed on the GS website.

And yeah, the Cellfire coupon only works on used games, as far as I know.

[quote name='Broccoli Storm']A little off topic, but I'm in the same boat, so I have a question that needs to be answered:

How does the transfer of your data from the original hard-drive work? I obviously don't want to lose all my data/arcade games/etc.[/quote]

I do believe that MS has a warning that a small percentage of your data might not be transfered. I also think that when I used the cable, something came up after the transfer that some things did not come over, but I still haven't figured out what those were. Also, the only thing you have to worry about losing is your data. Any content you have purchased can be redownloaded.

[quote name='Broccoli Storm']A little off topic, but I'm in the same boat, so I have a question that needs to be answered:

How does the transfer of your data from the original hard-drive work? I obviously don't want to lose all my data/arcade games/etc.[/quote]

Actually, I just bought a new 120gb on clearance last night at Target, still bruising my ego (and pocket book) at $125, but not bruising my ego as much as buying a used one for $100 from CrookStop.

Anyway, the transfer kit consists of a CD that you pop in the box and a little cable, one end of which is plugged into the USB port on back (the one near the hard drive) and the other end of which plugs into the new hard drive. You then boot your system with the CD in, and it activates the transfer. Says it takes about an hour, but it was much shorter for me.

It told me that some of my data was corrupted and did not transfer, but I don't seem to be missing anything. It even transferred Fable 2 since I had it installed. Quick and painless, and now I'm happily running games without a hitch from my hard drive.

I do wish there was a way around using the discs, not because I want to pirate but because I'm lazy and don't like swapping (would be cool to switch from one game to another on a whim, without even getting up, especially during multiplayer sessions), but it would certainly take some creative thinking at Microsoft to get a scheme going to enable this and not enable piracy. (Unless they want to package codes with every game, similar to what's done with PC games, so they can only be used on one system or under one account, but that would bring its own troubles. Might get rid of, or hamper, the used and rental markets, though, and that would please publishers.)

Sorry for going a little bit off topic but I just had a question. I'm about to buy a 360 but I'm not sure if I need the 60 or even the 120gb hard drive. I plan on just playing games without downloading much arcade stuff or demos, so do I need the extra space? Do I even need a hard drive or can I get by with just the memory card they include?

Isn't there software that lets you use USB HD's on the 360? I'm sure you can get a 300 gb USB HD for the price of a 120 gb 360 HD... maybe you need a modded 360 to use it though? Not sure.

you can't use external drives to load any info to your 360 as far as games go. only media.

as far as a cheap drive, ebay has 60gb drives for about 65...use the ebay cash back thing and get 25% back in 60 days...should be about 50 bucks in the end. i'm considering it...still a salty price though :(

Man that drive is so expensive on its own. I am just going to cut my losses and buy a new 360. My current one is a launch unit that has already had to be fixed once (the warranty seal was broken so i had to do it myself). I am just going to sell my old one on eBbay and buy a new elite with the 25% cash back. Costs a little more but I wont have to worry about my Xbox dying after I get a new hard drive. That would suck.

You can score a 120 GB for $125 right now at Target (YMMV) or $99 used (YMMV) at Gamestop. The 60 GB looks tempting with all the fluff that comes with it, but if you plan on buying alot of things off the marketplace or copying games to the Hard Drive don't even consider the 60 GB.

Has anyone bought a 60 gb refurb harddrive on ebay? They are generally going for about $65. I already have a memory card, so not getting the transfer cable isn't that big of a deal to me, plus if it all works out, it looks like I could probably sell my old 20 gb for $25...

Just wondering if anyone went this route already.

[quote name='Lucian']Has anyone bought a 60 gb refurb harddrive on ebay? They are generally going for about $65. I already have a memory card, so not getting the transfer cable isn't that big of a deal to me, plus if it all works out, it looks like I could probably sell my old 20 gb for $25...

Just wondering if anyone went this route already.[/QUOTE]

Just so you know I bought a used 120GB HDD from GS and had no problem requesting a transfer kit from MS (I called) in case you want to go that route. They only asked for the s/n from my current console and said I should have it in 10 business days.

[quote name='MtlTom']Just so you know I bought a used 120GB HDD from GS and had no problem requesting a transfer kit from MS (I called) in case you want to go that route. They only asked for the s/n from my current console and said I should have it in 10 business days.[/quote]
Thanks for the info. I'll try that, too.

I was about to post this same question until I saw this. I went up to Target today because my girlfriend wanted to stop in and get some makeup (she loves their clearances on this stuff as much as I do on games at Target) and I saw the 120GB hard drives on clearance for $125. There was only two left and I grabbed one while some other lady bought one right after me (who thought it was for the Wii and still bought it even after she was told it was for 360...).

I figured this is the best way to go since you probably won't get a transfer cable with a used one at GS and the 60gb HDDs do not come with transfer cables. Saves yourself the hassle of dealing with MS for a cable; god knows we have all dealt with them enough.

[quote name='FaintDeftone']I was about to post this same question until I saw this. I went up to Target today because my girlfriend wanted to stop in and get some makeup (she loves their clearances on this stuff as much as I do on games at Target) and I saw the 120GB hard drives on clearance for $125. There was only two left and I grabbed one while some other lady bought one right after me (who thought it was for the Wii and still bought it even after she was told it was for 360...).

I figured this is the best way to go since you probably won't get a transfer cable with a used one at GS and the 60gb HDDs do not come with transfer cables. Saves yourself the hassle of dealing with MS for a cable; god knows we have all dealt with them enough.[/QUOTE]

Word, I was in the same boat, sorta. Figured instead of paying ~$100 used at GS, I would just pony up an extra 30 bucks or so and get it brand new with the transfer cable at Target. I had to go to 3 different ones today before finding the last one at the last Target around here.

[quote name='MtlTom']Just so you know I bought a used 120GB HDD from GS and had no problem requesting a transfer kit from MS (I called) in case you want to go that route. They only asked for the s/n from my current console and said I should have it in 10 business days.[/quote]
Thanks again. I tried emailing Microsoft and they sent me the stupid request form. So I just called them and explained (again) that I didn't have a new Elite console and they just agreed to mail me out a data migration cable without having to mail in the form. I don't know why the email support people couldn't comprehend that I don't have an Elite console, but anyway, it worked out. The phone call only took 20 minutes total, so if you are going to go this route, I highly recommend just calling.

With the price these transfer cables are going for on Ebay these days, I may end up breaking even in the long run.

I ended up getting a new 120gb hd on eBay for around $138 shipped, but with the Live 35% cashback, in the end it cost me only around $92. Nice deal and I could definitely use the space. I was considering getting the 60gb hd, but definitely glad I got the 120.

[quote name='Lucian']Thanks again. I tried emailing Microsoft and they sent me the stupid request form. So I just called them and explained (again) that I didn't have a new Elite console and they just agreed to mail me out a data migration cable without having to mail in the form. I don't know why the email support people couldn't comprehend that I don't have an Elite console, but anyway, it worked out. The phone call only took 20 minutes total, so if you are going to go this route, I highly recommend just calling.

With the price these transfer cables are going for on Ebay these days, I may end up breaking even in the long run.[/quote]

they probably gave you a hard time because they only want to give them to people who already had an older 20gb 360, then bought an elite 360 to replace it...not people who bought used 120's...that's along the lines of what the print-out says at least.

[quote name='Toaster Driver']they probably gave you a hard time because they only want to give them to people who already had an older 20gb 360, then bought an elite 360 to replace it...not people who bought used 120's...that's along the lines of what the print-out says at least.[/QUOTE]

It's just weird that the email support people were so stupid when the live support person was very nice and helpful. I didn't have to argue or anything and he didn't ask if it was a new or used hard drive. It was just, "Okay, we'll send you one. Let's verify your address."

Previously I asked if anyone had bought a refurbished 60 gb hard drive on ebay. In case anyone else cares or is wondering, here's my quick update: I went ahead and purchased a refurbed 60 gb hard drive on ebay. It was $65, works great, is in very good condition, and I got it in 2 days. If others out there are looking for a really cheap way to increase storage capacity, it may be worth going this route also.

Got a used 120gb on eBay in Aug for $80 shipped... Wasn't to bad at all and works great. I bought it cause I thought the eBayers would be jacking up the price for the impending Live update when it finally comes out...

In a nutshell, eBay route is the cheapest way right now to get used/refurbished 120gb. Unless another Gamestop coupon 20% or more comes out, then thats a different story. I'm waiting for one of those accessory coupons so that I can buy the Xbox 360 Wiresless Adaptor.. ;-)

[quote name='Toaster Driver']meh, 8 gigs per game = at least 5 games...that's plenty for me, i'm not putting every game i own on the hard drive, just games i play excessively[/quote]

It varies on game, but typical sizes are 6-7gb in my experience.

[quote name='muhsheesuh']Sorry for going a little bit off topic but I just had a question. I'm about to buy a 360 but I'm not sure if I need the 60 or even the 120gb hard drive. I plan on just playing games without downloading much arcade stuff or demos, so do I need the extra space? Do I even need a hard drive or can I get by with just the memory card they include?[/quote]

you do need a hard drive and a 20gb is just not enough unless you are tight on budget... go for the 120gb and take a bullet like the rest of us:bomb:

I have bought and sold my 360 twice now, and am selling my wii so get a 360, I had a launch 360 and filled up the 20gb in no time. I think I might get an arcade w/ my blockbuster credit (they are all the same console anyway), and buy a 60 gb live pack with my CC credit... 60 should be enough for me.

[quote name='runpuddrun']I have bought and sold my 360 twice now, and am selling my wii so get a 360, I had a launch 360 and filled up the 20gb in no time. I think I might get an arcade w/ my blockbuster credit (they are all the same console anyway), and buy a 60 gb live pack with my CC credit... 60 should be enough for me.[/quote]

YOU WON'T GET THE SHINY SILVER DRIVE!!!!

no but really you won't.

There is a seller on Ebay who has brand new 120 GB Hard Drives for ~$86 shipped (obviously with no transfer kit).

With the 25% off live promotion I got a 120 GB HD for $65.99 shipped.

If you want to know the seller's details PM me for details (fyi I am not the seller :p).

[quote name='runpuddrun']I have bought and sold my 360 twice now, and am selling my wii so get a 360, I had a launch 360 and filled up the 20gb in no time. I think I might get an arcade w/ my blockbuster credit (they are all the same console anyway), and buy a 60 gb live pack with my CC credit... 60 should be enough for me.[/quote]

No offense, but why the hell would you do that? Talk about indecisive. The amount of money you wasted does not befit a cheap-ass gamer. I don't understand people who are constantly trading their systems in to get other systems, then trading those in to get their old systems back.

Whatever tho! Do as thou wilt, and finance the used industry that leeches money out of the real industry and makes us pay more for games.

end rant

bread's done
Back