xbox 360 headset - best options, deal

CKaz

CAGiversary!
my xbox360 headset broke so I'm looking to replace it
but I don't necessarily need (or frankly even want) the exact same thing

- saw the TRU thread on the (old) vision bundle, will look for
- messenger kit apparently has the headset with inline controls, might be better
- consider good working wireless headset, tho prefer easy access mute/volume
- would consider good wired stereo headset, no TV sound late at night useful

I've been catching up looking a lot at the above, until this cheap thing broke
Opened it up, the contact points are very weak, another broke as I investigated
- just got xbox360 back from red rings of death, this dies days later :b

Anyways please post here/PM any specific thoughts, shame can't use bluetooth
I'd probably just go after a xbox headset converter, but I broke the headset itself
(mike and earpiece still work fine tho lol, just managed to snap the plastic :b)

thanks
CKaz

Your best bet is to look for old LIVE bundles like you've outlined. I saw the 3 Month Gold Pack with the headset at Kmart for $19.xx (YMMV) which is a great deal considering the headsets are $20 separately. But that's the same store I bought the 20GB harddrive from for $24, so chances are I've just got a magical store :)

FWIW, I personally don't like the inline controls because you have to take your hand away from the controller to turn the mic on or off or adjust volume. But I guess if you want the Messenger you have to have the new jack.

the wireless ones work great. After havin two of my wired ones break i just got one and it's been fine for a year now. Only complaint I have is that you have to charge it pretty much every day if you play a lot. I think TRS has it for 29 dollars. I just remember that it was on clearance before when the old vision bundles were on clearance there too.

thanks for all the feedback

vidGuy - I was going to check my TRU(s) but I might try some Kmart(s) now too, thanks
Regarding inline, agreed, but after seeing how cheap the base connector is first hand, ouch

mike.m - yup, trying to figure out what those might be
I was disappointed to see Turtle Beach options end up with poor reviews

monkeyman67 - I assume the charger comes with?
Yeah no brainer if I find such a deal on it, might make my own deal (e.g. credit card signup)

bread's done
Back