XBOX 360 Jasper Chip Discussion

Well, my plan is to buy the 60 gb, regardless of Jasper or not, and buy the 2 yr replacement plan from Best Buy. Once the new Slimline xbox 360's come out my xbox will miraculously get the dreaded RROD! (wink wink) Sound like a good plan? lol

[quote name='Allnatural']fwiw, here is what Ben Heck found when testing the temp of a Falcon board. The cpu is much cooler, but the gpu is just as hot as before, using the same, redesigned heatsink (original, non-heatpipe sink may have been even hotter).[/QUOTE]

Not a scientific way to measure how hot the GPU gets for two reasons:

#1 It doesn't matter how hot the heatsink gets, it matters how hot the chip under the heatsink is.

#2 The cover is off and hence the suction effect of the fans that moves hot air away from the heatsink is reduced or eliminated. Hence the heatsink gets much hotter than it would under normal use.

The only way to truly measure how hot the GPU gets is through its own thermal monitoring using software that only Microsoft would have access to.

[quote name='Ruined']Not a scientific way to measure how hot the GPU gets for two reasons:

#1 It doesn't matter how hot the heatsink gets, it matters how hot the chip under the heatsink is.

#2 The cover is off and hence the suction effect of the fans that moves hot air away from the heatsink is reduced or eliminated. Hence the heatsink gets much hotter than it would under normal use.

The only way to truly measure how hot the GPU gets is through its own thermal monitoring using software that only Microsoft would have access to.[/QUOTE]

On an absolute basis? Definitely not. But as long as the test is done under the same measuring criteria you can get a relative idea how much the cooling differs, which is all that matters really.

And if you really don't think Microssoft designed Jasper to be more reliable than Falcons you're crazy. Their main focus is cost-cutting, sure, but they are well aware that any reduction in cost-savings is pointless if Jasper starts having problems like the previous versions. They've taken an enormous hit by having to extend the warrany to 3 years, and I don't think they will design Jasper to be anything less than MORE reliable than earlier versions. Falcons have RROD and other problems too, maybe not nearly as bad as the first-gen 360s, but they're still there.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Yeah this can be locked now. Maybe down the road we'll see our Jasper, but not in August.[/QUOTE]

Why? Thread should stay alive at least until it's confirmed that 60 Gb does in fact = Jasper. I expect it to roughly coincide with the price drop in September. It's also interesting to see the redesign of the memory chips, which should further eliminate some problems.

According to these guys.....YES!:bouncy:

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/digitaljoystick/archives/147899.asp

Start at the 4th post from the bottom....post #176542

Good News!!! I found out and confirmed that the Jasper motherboard has a manufacturing date after August 20th. If you had an xbox before you'll hear the difference from the dvd drive its much quieter. And most important of all the power brick is 150W!!!! Got mine yesterday as I waited a few days after the low price deal and one of my friends who works at EB Games got me my xbox from the lastest batch of inventory that they recieved. Its good to have friends in such places. Unfortunately, in the long run PS3 will prevail as the games are so huge!

Eh.. hardly credible. The august 20th date has been known for many months now. Some unregistered users talking about it on some random blog doesn't do much for me. While it is sure possible, I will believe it when someone cracks open their case and posts some pics rather then some guy reading his power cord and bragging about his friend at GS.

[quote name='underliness']Eh.. hardly credible. The august 20th date has been known for many months now. Some unregistered users talking about it on some random blog doesn't do much for me. While it is sure possible, I will believe it when someone cracks open their case and posts some pics rather then some guy reading his power cord and bragging about his friend at GS.[/quote]

....ok.:cry:

Heh, didn't mean to get you down. They are probably being distributed by now or are close to. The Jasper chip date news was broke back in early May on many sites which you can check with a quick google. A lower power unit could be the Jasper or a few other things. Assuming he is telling the truth. Some pictures would really be nice though.

[quote name='underliness']Heh, didn't mean to get you down. They are probably being distributed by now or are close to. The Jasper chip date news was broke back in early May on many sites which you can check with a quick google. A lower power unit could be the Jasper or a few other things. Assuming he is telling the truth. Some pictures would really be nice though.[/quote]

Agreed. It's just that I'm going on my 4th case of RRODham and I refuse to get another luck of the draw refurb. I've been without my precious now for almost 4 months now and it is really starting to HURT. So, since I'm already so close to the Jasper mobo, I scan the webs everyday, looking for SOME sort of confirmation.

I'm ready to hit Best Buy and hit the 360 section like I'm looking for the milk carton with the furthest date!!:lol:

fuck Jasper, give me Valhalla...

Anyway, I'll wait for Ben Heck to "confirm" it's release. I'm sure he's chomping at the bit to rip one open.

So which chipset uses the 125 watt power supply? Bought a 60gb yesterday (mfd July 08) and it has a 125 watt power supply.

with 2 other motherboard versions in the works for the 360 i doubt wee will ever see a true %100 percent solution to the rrod issue until Microsoft does some serious rework to there system in terms of design and hardware

Ben Heck is great does wonderful things for the mod community but my moneys on Xbox-Scene posting first

[quote name='Knoxximus']Agreed. It's just that I'm going on my 4th case of RRODham and I refuse to get another luck of the draw refurb. I've been without my precious now for almost 4 months now and it is really starting to HURT. So, since I'm already so close to the Jasper mobo, I scan the webs everyday, looking for SOME sort of confirmation.

I'm ready to hit Best Buy and hit the 360 section like I'm looking for the milk carton with the furthest date!!:lol:[/quote]

I'm with ya man. Only my dvd drive broke instead. MS wanted 100 or 150$ for repair because it was out of warranty (launch console) and was not RROD. So I said F that and just figured I would keep it for XBLA which I had a decent library, and some good games were on the horizon (Braid Castle Crashers ect). Then I got the E74 error on startup :bomb:. I checked online and called MAX a few times looking for a solution, trying many things including trying my friends av cables and power cords (E74 is supposedly a power error).

So I just sold the console for 80$ because it was a launch with 2 problems, and even when it did work it ran like an airplane with about the same heat output. I needed a unit with HDMI output anyways for my new tv. I still have my HDD with my gamertag and all my content for someday when Xbox hits the right price/reliabilty point. Was thinking about the 199 Arcade, but after the debacle of trying to get my credit info removed (a horror story in itself) so I would not be charged for another year of live with no console, I don't think I will even be doing that.

Just waiting for my roomate to buy one now (who is waiting for the new Jasper chip) so I can plug my HDD, hopefuly resume play, and burn up the rest of my XBL points on Braid and Castle Crashers.

The excitement over the new revisions after all the continued problems cracks me up. I'm on #4. Sure I hope MS gets it right one of these days, but man people sure want to believe in each rendition.

[quote name='Bezerker']So which chipset uses the 125 watt power supply? Bought a 60gb yesterday (mfd July 08) and it has a 125 watt power supply.[/QUOTE]

Sure it's not 145? One of the posters on the site OP linked got a 145-watt brick. And I don't know what everyone's poo-poo'ing this about, I can take this as pretty much confirming Jaspers have shipped. Now the only question is how long until I can be reasonably certain of walking into Best Buy and actually eeny-meeeny-miney-mowing out with one?

Thanks Knoxximus for posting this.

i have a 360 liunx machine so when i shop for compatible drive so i don;t buy the wrong one i use http://www.360drives.com they also list the board that were in the systems that people list when they open. I start looking on there for a patter just like in know some of the 60gb pre have falcons in them

bought mine yesterday, batch 828 and born-on date mid july from walmart with a 175w power brick. They told me they just got a shipment of 6 in yesterday. Its no jasper but I cant complain. So far so good. I dunno if this jasper is worth waiting for. If you figure I there is a 30-60 day lag from factory to store front then we probably wont see one till october or november, and randomly at that.

This guy is such a liar. He posts that he got a Jasper, then 6 minutes later posts again, using the same style and punctuation, pretending to be someone else who got the Jasper. The posts are almost the same length, even.

Then when people ask for proof, I think it's pretty easy to see that the same person posted this:

"Man people are so skeptical and need proof of everything. I bet you guys would still deny the guys having jaspers even if they sent a pic of the powerbricks by saying its a phony pic edited with photoshop. Get a life guys, just play games and don't worry too much of rrod as look at the bright side you'll have a better xbox xompared to launch date." :rofl:

[quote name='docdangerous']bought mine yesterday, batch 828 and born-on date mid july from walmart with a 175w power brick. They told me they just got a shipment of 6 in yesterday. Its no jasper but I cant complain. So far so good. I dunno if this jasper is worth waiting for. If you figure I there is a 30-60 day lag from factory to store front then we probably wont see one till october or november, and randomly at that.[/quote]

From what I understand, we're looking for the last 5 digits of the serial number to be 83322 or greater:

8= Year
33= Week of the year
22= Lot number (not so important)

Last edited by a moderator:
If I bought an arcade system today, what chipset would I get?

why wait for the valhalla? What is the benefit?

[quote name='Derrick1979']My 360 if MFG May/08 and has the 175w brick so that means it is the Falcon chipset correct?[/quote]

Yep. Most you might have gotten by way of improvement would be the removal of the memchips from the bottom of the mobo, which means the capacity of the chips on the top of the mobo have been doubled. Supposedly this eliminates the heat problem that was warping x-clamps, or something like that.

[quote name='Casiotech']If I bought an arcade system today, what chipset would I get?

why wait for the valhalla? What is the benefit?[/quote]

Prolly most likely a Falcon.

Only the extra picky will wait for Vahalla, as it combines both CPU and GPU into one "Superchip", which will most likely introduce a new, slimline form factor. Jasper should be enough for me, as it will theoretically fix that last piece of the overheating puzzle: The 90nm GPU.

[quote name='Knoxximus']Yep. Most you might have gotten by way of improvement would be the removal of the memchips from the bottom of the mobo, which means the capacity of the chips on the top of the mobo have been doubled. Supposedly this eliminates the heat problem that was warping x-clamps, or something like that.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply, I did notice right away that it does run a lot cooler then my original 360 and I can no longer cook frozen pizza's off the heat of the power brick.. :lol:

[quote name='Knoxximus']Prolly most likely a Falcon.

Only the extra picky will wait for Vahalla, as it combines both CPU and GPU into one "Superchip", which will most likely introduce a new, slimline form factor. Jasper should be enough for me, as it will theoretically fix that last piece of the overheating puzzle: The 90nm GPU.[/quote]

if MS left more then just a 1/8 of a inch between the GPU and the DVD-rom drive many of the heat issues may have never happened.

I don't see why people are so obsessed with the latest 360 revisions. The falcons have a very low fail rate...what more do you want?

[quote name='Danil ACE']I don't see why people are so obsessed with the latest 360 revisions. The falcons have a very low fail rate...what more do you want? New versions also ship with lite on (updated version of benq) drives that are unhackable because they have no writable rom.[/quote]
the lite-ons have been hacked to a point. They are able to retrieve the DVD key and allow spoofing and replacement of the drive. Simple terms they can just swap it out for a hackable one. Plus with the use of the infectus chip i am sure it's only a matter of time before the drive will have a flash chip add on just like the rest of them do

http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EkEAAlpkpldHkMWmqp.php

[quote name='Danil ACE']I don't see why people are so obsessed with the latest 360 revisions. The falcons have a very low fail rate...what more do you want? [/quote]
Not many really believe that falcons have a very low fail rate. There have still been plenty of falcon RROD stories. Plenty is still too many. GPU heat is a known issue, and Jasper will reduce this.

Since searching for "Jasper" in CAG just brings up tons of "Is it a Jasper?" questions, please only post Jasper sighting news, photos, or info here.

Thank you. Sorry I did not know that existed, have not been able to log on a lot since most game sites have been blocked at work.

Again, I'm sorry.

The price drop was not a reflection of the release of the Jasper. Also think of how many units of the current chipset are still sitting in the warehouses of stores.

[quote name='Gamenads']Wasn't Jasper supposed to be released by now? How come they are not on the shelves.[/quote]

It will take time for the uneducated masses to purchase all of the current inventory that is on store shelves. It's kinda how the grocery stores put the milk that will expire 1st in the front row, and the milk that will last longer in the back.

It's up to you to start digging around in the back to get a fresh carton.;)

According to the rumored release schedule, the serial number you want is (last 5 of the serial) 833xx or better.

8 = Year of manufacture
33 = Week of that year
xx = lot number (not really important)

I would say pick up an 834 or better just to make sure. And like I said, it's gonna take the retail channels awhile to shift inventory. I'd say around Christmas time it should be RAINING Jaspers at the rate the average consumer should be buying Christmas gifts.

The most recent serial number I've seen so far is 829xx, so it's coming, people. Just wait for it. :)

I just recieved a mail order 360 pro from HMV in the UK (17th Sept 08)

The manufacture date of this one is MARCH 08 .... 6 months old

[quote name='pete5883']Not many really believe that falcons have a very low fail rate. There have still been plenty of falcon RROD stories. Plenty is still too many. GPU heat is a known issue, and Jasper will reduce this.[/QUOTE]

lol, don't worry there will still be plenty of people claiming they are getting RROD with Jasper for two reasons.

1) No console is free of defect, regardless of how good the design is.
2) PS3/Wii children with too much time on their hands.

If reliability is your primary concern, Falcon is proven as reliable console as any other console ever made. The main improvement Jasper brings is that the lower heat of the GPU allows Microsoft to switch back from the $5 heatsink/heatpipe they added with the Falcon GPU (to bring RROD to acceptable levels) to a heatsink similar to the 50-cent heatsink that was used with launch consoles. They pass that savings on in the form of the current $50 pricedrop we are seeing. Jasper's system fans may be a bit quieter, but their smaller size will prevent them from being completely quiet; the 360's DVD drive also needs to keep spinning at 12x assuming you arent copying games to the HD - and that will remain the noisiest part of the system.

I think people are getting a little hyped up over what will be minimal real world improvement. If you can get a Falcon cheap (i.e. Amazon has Falcon Elites for $399 + $60 GC), I say go for it, rather than spending extra for Jasper.

Well seeing that the Jasper unit puts out half the heat there is no doubt they did something right. As an owner of a Falcon unit that RROD just 3 weeks ago, I would have loved to get the new Jasper unit (got another Falcon just yesterday)...but seeing that I still have 2 years 3 months left on my RROD warranty, I should be ok..

[quote name='Ruined']lol, don't worry there will still be plenty of people claiming they are getting RROD with Jasper for two reasons.

If reliability is your primary concern, Falcon is proven as reliable console as any other console ever made.[/QUOTE]
Is that right? Do you really think you can find as many Wii failure stories as there are Falcon failure stories? And if you don't, it's because of the big conspiracy of PS3/Wii players, right? :roll:

[quote name='pete5883']Is that right? Do you really think you can find as many Wii failure stories as there are Falcon failure stories? And if you don't, it's because of the big conspiracy of PS3/Wii players, right? :roll:[/quote]

And here we go :roll:

[quote name='Ruined']lol, don't worry there will still be plenty of people claiming they are getting RROD with Jasper for two reasons.

2) PS3/Wii children with too much time on their hands.

If reliability is your primary concern, Falcon is proven as reliable console as any other console ever made. The main improvement Jasper brings is that the lower heat of the GPU allows Microsoft to switch back from the $5 heatsink/heatpipe they added with the Falcon GPU (to bring RROD to acceptable levels) to a heatsink similar to the 50-cent heatsink that was used with launch consoles. They pass that savings on in the form of the current $50 pricedrop we are seeing. Jasper's system fans may be a bit quieter, but their smaller size will prevent them from being completely quiet; the 360's DVD drive also needs to keep spinning at 12x assuming you arent copying games to the HD - and that will remain the noisiest part of the system.

I think people are getting a little hyped up over what will be minimal real world improvement. If you can get a Falcon cheap (i.e. Amazon has Falcon Elites for $399 + $60 GC), I say go for it, rather than spending extra for Jasper.[/QUOTE]

Are they really switching from a $5 heatsink to 50cent one in the Jasper? That sux. Where did you hear that from?

I'm waiting for Roscoe. I hear it puts out 3% less heat than Jasper. Might actually skip Roscoe and go straight to Martha, which has 5% more heat than Jasper, but comes with a coupon for a free chicken sandwich at McDonalds.

Well I'm waiting for Zulu. I hear that if you commit to using the console for 20 hours or less a week, you get a blow job from it at the end of the week.

[quote name='nintendokid']Well I'm waiting for Zulu. I hear that if you commit to using the console for 20 hours or less a week, you get a blow job from it at the end of the week.[/quote]
:applause::applause:

bread's done
Back