XBOX 360 Jasper Chip Discussion

[quote name='screwkick']Got a 60gb last night. Lot number 842x, manufactured date, 10-18-08. A jasper maybe?[/quote]

Online? Where can you find this info?

[quote name='screwkick']Got a 60gb last night. Lot number 842x, manufactured date, 10-18-08. A jasper maybe?[/QUOTE]

From what I've heard, it needs to be a 843x or later and manufactured after 10-23-08. I'm trying to decide if the falcon I just picked up yesterday day is good enough?

[quote name='Dante Devil']I picked up a a model 0841. Two weeks shy of Jasper manufacture date. Should I take it back and wait for a jasper to come in?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='screwkick']Got a 60gb last night. Lot number 842x, manufactured date, 10-18-08. A jasper maybe?[/QUOTE]

Do your power bricks say 150W, or 175W?

http://www.engadget.com/2008/11/27/apparent-xbox-360-jasper-spotted-in-the-wild/

"We've had some false alarms in the past, but it looks like the first Jasper-equipped Xbox 360s may now finally be starting to make their way out into the wild. While there unfortunately still aren't any pictures of the motherboard to completely put this thing to rest, everything else certainly seems to be pointing in the right direction, including a 150W power supply (25W less than the current models), a manufacturing date of 2008-10-23, an 0843X lot number, and a power adapter that most definitely won't fit in a Falcon console -- head on past the break for a pic of it. Now, anyone feel like cracking open some cases?

Update: Picture of the guts now posted over at xbox-scene. Interestingly, it appears that the new mobo brings 256MB onboard flash memory (up from 16MB). Those look like 65-nm process chips to you?"

A user over at xbox-scene bought an arcade with the same Man. date and lot number as the Jasper, and got a Falcon. So Man. date and lot # are not guarantees of Jasper.

[quote name='pete5883']A user over at xbox-scene bought an arcade with the same Man. date and lot number as the Jasper, and got a Falcon. So Man. date and lot # are not guarantees of Jasper.[/quote]
Correct, but following the information i've posted will ensure you have the best chance of getting a jasper, still no guarantee though.

Manf Date: 10-23-08 or later
Team: FDOU
Lot: 0843X or later

Yeah, I came home today with a FDOU, Lot 843x Falcon (manuf. 10-23-08). Bummer.

I'll likely return it for a new one as my 30-day window nears its end.

This pic may be helpful for people figuring out what they have. Compare the power-hole on your system:

Xbox360_Model_Guide.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
the best bet is to look at the power rating through the window where the SN is. 12.1 A should be a jasper. also the sticker should say "Value Bundle E". btw, i found one in lot 0842x. it is apparently hit or miss with lots 0842x and 0843x. anandtech has a nice thread about this here.

[quote name='kms_md']the best bet is to look at the power rating through the window where the SN is. 12.1 A should be a jasper. also the sticker should say "Value Bundle E". btw, i found one in lot 0842x. it is apparently hit or miss with lots 0842x and 0843x. anandtech has a nice thread about this here.[/quote]

Where is the sticker that reads "Value Bundle E"?

I got a Jasper arcade unit from Dell a week or 2 ago. Had the 175 W power supply (darn) but the console is 12.A and has 256 MB on-board memory.

[quote name='pete5883']This pic may be helpful for people figuring out what they have. Compare the power-hole on your system:

Xbox360_Model_Guide.jpg
[/quote]

Lol, power hole... I just replaced my 360 about a month before the first Jasper sighting, ah well. Hopefully this fourth one lasts until the next generation system. At least this new one is a Falcon, my last three were all Xenon boards.

The jasper arcade system I bought on Friday came with a 150w power supply. I'm not at the house with the jasper, but I want to say it was manufactured after October 16th.

[quote name='eastx']I got a Jasper arcade unit from Dell a week or 2 ago. Had the 175 W power supply (darn) but the console is 12.A and has 256 MB on-board memory.[/quote]

I wouldn't worry about the 175 W power supply. It could be a 10million W power supply and still only use the 150 Watts it needs.

I have an XBOX 360 Elite manufactured on 10-22-2008.

I haven't opened it yet because it arrived in beat-up packaging. Am thinking of trying to get the packaging from a store to keep the console because of its late manufacturing date.

Does being manufactured so late in the year to my benefit? Could it be a Jasper from the date alone?

No its probably not a Jasper. You have an Elite just install the games and you wont have to worry about it or use the search butto and look for the Jasper discussion thread

[quote name='captmurphy']Look at the power brick.

175 watts = Falcon

Something less (I think 150 watts) = Jasper[/quote]

Can you see the fan wattage without opening the case? Where is it located. I'm tempted to open the package and find out now, but don't want to tamper with the case.

I don't think so. The power brick is inside a plastic bag in the box. The power rating information is on the underside of the brick.

By "case," do you mean the cardboard box, or the xbox itself?

[quote name='captmurphy']I don't think so. The power brick is inside a plastic bag in the box. The power rating information is on the underside of the brick.

By "case," do you mean the cardboard box, or the xbox itself?[/quote]

The console itself. I don't want to start removing screws and tinkering around in there. If buy.com sees that, it'll jack stuff up.

That said, a system just built in the latter part of October is still pretty current... I may keep it, or take my chances, but I don't want one from the early part of the year.

Ok well in that case, the "power brick" I am referring to is the large unit that plugs into the wall and powers your xbox. It is grey and looks like this -

PowerBrick.jpg

The white sticker that can be seen in this picture is where the wattage information you are looking for is located.

I would highly discourage you from ever opening your actual Xbox. Ever.

The power brick is a bad indicator since old bricks are packaged with new systems. The power label on the back of the system is better.

[quote name='slickkill77']No its probably not a Jasper. You have an Elite just install the games and you wont have to worry about it or use the search butto and look for the Jasper discussion thread[/quote]

:bomb: oh , i think your suggestion is right , and i just now buy the xbox , but i do not know how to use it , so i need the good help , i have tried many times , but i also i do not how to solve it , when i see your suggestion , and i think i will do it better , thank you

[quote name='WhoKnowsWho']See http://www.anandtech.com/gadgets/showdoc.aspx?i=3472&p=2 It shows where you can look through the cut out in the box and check out the amperage rating on the system. Not foolproof but pretty close to it without opening up the whole thing. 12V current rating of 12.1 = Jasper.[/QUOTE]

The big label through the hole is not completely accurate because I've gotten systems that says 16.5A on one and 14.2A on the other label that is right above the power connector

Only Jaspers sighted are arcades. The probability of an Elite to be jasper are very very dim.

Two quick ways to confirm are (excerpts from various sites):

1. Power Supply will be 150W and the plug itself is different than the older builds
2. The # of amps used by the 12 volt rail is the key to determining which console version is it. 14.2 is Falcon, 12.1A is Jasper.

Manufacturing Dates are not a good indicator as Falcons are found even after that date referenced by most web sites.

[quote name='rsfcdfg']:bomb: oh , i think your suggestion is right , and i just now buy the xbox , but i do not know how to use it , so i need the good help , i have tried many times , but i also i do not how to solve it , when i see your suggestion , and i think i will do it better , thank you[/quote]

?

Thanks and that's cool. I'll check it out when I get home.

I read somewhere that it's a FIFO thing and that Falcons will be sold off first then replenished with Jaspers.

Are Falcons still stable enough, or is it best to wait till spring to get an Elite Jasper?

[quote name='buyer76']Only Jaspers sighted are arcades. The probability of an Elite to be jasper are very very dim.[/QUOTE]
No, there've been a few Pro Jaspers.

Okay, opened the box, cuz the sticker wasn't sticking very well, and took out the power brick.

The top of the brick says:

Output DC 175W max

Here's what it says on the lower portion of the brick:

Input: AC 100V 50-60Hz 4.7A
Output: DC 12V 14.2A, 5Vsb 1A

The brick looks like the photo captmurphy uploaded above. Is that an old or new brick?

On the console itself, below the date and to the left, it says:

12V --- 14,2; 5V --- 1A

What I got!?!?

[quote name='Telemakhos']
On the console itself, below the date and to the left, it says:

12V --- 14,2; 5V --- 1A

The brick looks like the photo an earlier poster uploaded.

What I got!?!?[/QUOTE]

That's a Falcon, homeslice.

[quote name='eastx']That's a Falcon, homeslice.[/quote]

Awwww. The suspense is gone. I guess I can return it now and see what I get in return.

Is the new brick big or small? Everything looks so perfect, but... not a Jasper! :cry:

The new brick is smaller and 150W but remember, many Jaspers still come with the 175W brick, so that's not the best way to tell.

I believe a Jasper will say this on the back of the console: 12V --- 12.1A; 5V --- 1A

Yeah, the 12V --- 12.1A; 5V --- 1A is what you're looking for. And you don't have to buy it to check this number, you can see it through the window of an Arcade, and with a little box-ripping you can see it through the window of a Pro.

Sold my old core non-HDMI system for $150 and upgraded to a Jasper HDMI. 1080p looks stunning. Hopefully they've finally fixed the RROD problem with this new chipset.

Power brick is 150w

Manufacture date: 2008-11-07

Hole in box reads: 12V...12,1A; 5V...1A

Lot No. 0845X

Outsie of box reads: XGXZ-00019. Xbox Arcade System Value Bundle 2008 E

All signs point to Jasper.

Got my jasper today, it's a big improvement from my old system. The power brick is a lot lighter, and the system itself is really quiet.

Do I just take off the hard drive off my current xbox and put it on my new xbox? Is that all it takes to get my new xbox going with all my saved game?

Here is what I got to replace my old non-hdmi unit.

Power brick is 150w

Manufacture date: 2008-10-17

Hole in box reads: 12V...12,1A; 5V...1A

Lot No. 0842X

Outsie of box reads: XGX-00019. Xbox Arcade System Value Bundle 2008 E

Gonna try and get a jasper tonight at Microcenter. I bought a refurbished arcade unit 5 months ago and now the disc drive tray has been locking up, this is a launch unit with no HDMI.

Called Microcenter and they said they dont have anymore refurbished in stock to replace so they will just give me a gift card instead! (good thing I bought the extended warrenty :) ) Plus I should get a $50 gift card for purchasing an arcade unit per what the sales ad says.

They said they had 10 arcade units in-stock, hopefully not old stock but will see. Wish me luck.

Would it be worth it to buy a newer Jasper 360 if my straight from Microsoft refurb is still going strong and I had it about a year or a little more? The reason I ask is I have a $40.00 off $199.99 purchase coupon for CC and a $64.00 gift card so the upgrade would only be like $100.00. I would keep my older one and use it as my travel unit to take to my mother-in-laws when I visit with my wife.

[quote name='XxSmityxX']Gonna try and get a jasper tonight at Microcenter. I bought a refurbished arcade unit 5 months ago and now the disc drive tray has been locking up, this is a launch unit with no HDMI.

Called Microcenter and they said they dont have anymore refurbished in stock to replace so they will just give me a gift card instead! (good thing I bought the extended warrenty :) ) Plus I should get a $50 gift card for purchasing an arcade unit per what the sales ad says.

They said they had 10 arcade units in-stock, hopefully not old stock but will see. Wish me luck.[/quote]

JASPER a GO!!!!
dsc01068ng0.jpg

dsc01069tu9.jpg

FYI: Madison Heights, MI has 9 more Jaspers in stock!!!

[quote name='ajh2298']Would it be worth it to buy a newer Jasper 360 if my straight from Microsoft refurb is still going strong and I had it about a year or a little more? The reason I ask is I have a $40.00 off $199.99 purchase coupon for CC and a $64.00 gift card so the upgrade would only be like $100.00. I would keep my older one and use it as my travel unit to take to my mother-in-laws when I visit with my wife.[/QUOTE]

I would wait and see how the Jasper units play out as it is still new and everyone thought the Falcon was going to be the greatest Xbox 360 chipset as well when it was first coming out. If you are looking for a second 360, then you might as well get a Jasper but if it is just to buy one for the Japser chipset, I would wait.

I was able to pick up a Jasper unit tonight at my Circuit City I was able to use the $40.00 off coupon with no problems. I also had a sealed copy of GHWT I bought there around the start of November with a Gift Card and was able to return that for the full $60.00 credit, so I walked out paying $107.00 out of pocket, ( and $75.00 of that was from a scratch off lottery tickets I won on yesterday).

The only thing that disturbs me is when the guy rung me up he handed me the first unit on the pile behind the register and while he was ringing me up and already scanned the system we noticed the box had a big dent in the one corner. So he handed me the next unit without scanning it, I ask him if he needed to and he said he didnt have to. I am screwed if anything happens to the one he gave me I looked over the receipt and I dont see any SN# listed so I dont know.

[quote name='seanr1221']Got my jasper today, it's a big improvement from my old system. The power brick is a lot lighter, and the system itself is really quiet.[/quote]

Yeah, they really are. I went to pick up a new one to replace my old 360 which had just recently bricked. I debated whether or not to send it back to MS for repair since it was out of warranty. I decided to spend the extra 100 in hopes of getting a Jasper set, and I did. With the Jasper, you can barely hear it running. My older unit, always sounded like a jet engine taking off when I was playing.

bread's done
Back