Xbox 360/Kinect

micmonmel

CAGiversary!
Typically don't post on this side... but figure this is the best place to ask a question (or get advice).

My 11 yo son is interested in a Kinect. (He's played at a friend's and loved it.)

My question is-- will the Kinect work with his current 360? I believe he has the 360 Arcade (his older brother gave it to him last year for Christmas). He's got a couple of memory cards with it. (256mb, I believe)

Or do I need to just go ahead and get an entire new system w/ the Kinect? And if I do that, any idea how much this 360 is worth on trade? (Have a Gamestop Rewards card, not sure of anywhere else that does trades or such.)

Thanks in advance....

It should work on the old 360. The only problem I could see having is if you have the original blade style dashboard. You need the new dash for kinect and if you have a very old arcade (I think it would have been called 360 core) that doesn't have any internal memory I don't think you could upgrade to the new dash without a harddrive.

The kinect games should all have the new dashboard firmware on them.

If you can get a good deal like Walmart 4gb 360 w Kinect for $300 and $75 gift card, then you should considering upgrading.

Thanks, wakawakawa... That's what I'm thinking. The best deals I'm seeing for the kinect and 4 gb 360 is about $300 with no gift card. If TRU had it, they have a buy two $50 games and get a $40 gift card today... I could do it backwards. :) (Games, then system)

Still curious as to what the best option would be to get rid of/pass on this 360 arcade... Don't want more than one game system in the house... but that's just me.

If you want to sell your old Core 360, I would suggest Craigslist. If you do go the Gamestop route, they are giving an extra $25 for systems. I can't see you getting more than $75 total. I don't know the trade in value at GS, but I don't think it is very much for a 360 Core.

To be honest I would be ok with $75... just to not deal with Craigslist... :) Maybe I'll call the local GS today.

You can use the kinect with the old xbox perfectly fine. I do it with mine and don't have a HDD on it either.

But the newer 360 does have benefits and if you can get $75 for the old one you're getting a better system (way less likely to break compared to the old 360's, along with built in wireless and a new warranty) for only $75 (+ tax?). Also on the newer 360's the kinnect draws power form the xbox itself so it won't require another outlet.

The alternative is that you could just buy a super cheap hard drive (hell, I think I have a 20 gb one laying around here I'd sell for like $20) for your arcade and then just get the Kinect only.

Though as far as kids are concerned, the Xbox 360 slim would be way cooler ;).

And the answer is.... I gave in. Bought a 4gb 360/kinect bundle. And GS says the arcade system is worth $40 store credit... in case anyone is interested....

bread's done
Back