Xbox 360 Old Model External 250GB Hard Drive $112.99 Amazon and Newegg

Apparently, any bare drive will work from previous 360 hard drives. So you can attach your 120GB legit drive if you pull the physical drive out of the case. I would assume homebrew 250gb would work fine (and cost about 1/4 of the price).

I only have a 20GB so I really need this but damn, $113 is still too much, especially when I look at my PS3 and see the 250GB HDD I put in there for ~$50 a year ago.

Hmm...I wish I'd have known this before I bought my 250GB Slim :lol: ahh well...this 250gb hdd is really nice anywho.

[quote name='mxpowar']I only have a 20GB so I really need this but damn, $113 is still too much, especially when I look at my PS3 and see the 250GB HDD I put in there for ~$50 a year ago.[/QUOTE]

Same thing I'm thinking. But it's a business and they're trying to make money.

I do like the look and style of the 360 S, but I think I'll wait till next year when I get one, if I do. Yeesh, I have 2 360's already. Do I really need another?

[quote name='defmonkey05']Same thing I'm thinking. But it's a business and they're trying to make money.

I do like the look and style of the 360 S, but I think I'll wait till next year when I get one, if I do. Yeesh, I have 2 360's already. Do I really need another?[/QUOTE]
Um, this thread is about the HDD so why are you referring to the new 360 S?

WAIT...

Does the new 360 S 4gb come with the 4gb as on board flash or is it a small HDD???

Because if you lost by getting the 4gb one and need more memory, at least you can tell yourself that you now have 254 gb of memory.

But if you lose those 4gb by putting in a 250 hdd then damn man thats messed up paying $30 more for less of anything.

[quote name='IronsideGrunt']WAIT...

Does the new 360 S 4gb come with the 4gb as on board flash or is it a small HDD???

Because if you lost by getting the 4gb one and need more memory, at least you can tell yourself that you now have 254 gb of memory.

But if you lose those 4gb by putting in a 250 hdd then damn man thats messed up paying $30 more for less of anything.[/QUOTE]
its flash man.

I have a 60GB pro that I'm looking to get a larger hard drive for... All the Fred Meyer's near me have clearance 120GB at 20% off, which still makes them like 100 bucks. I asked them when they will get to 40/50% off and they said they don't know.

The nearest one to me has had 2 120GB drives sitting there for at least a month at 20% off. If I could score a 120GB for 50% off, which would be roughly 65 bucks I think I would go for that.

But I may have to bite on the 250 for 113.

ended up ugrading my 20 gig hard drive myself with a compatible 250 gig WD for 19 bucks on clearance at staples, took 2 hours but was easy and well worth the upgrade

This is kind of tempting as my 60GB has been getting full but I would rather just put that $113 towards a new 250GB 360S console instead.

[quote name='Killbomb']The price is still ridiculous but I am really struggling with my 20 gig. Decisions, decisions...[/QUOTE]

Can't you just use multiple USB sticks until you finally upgrade to a 360slim?

I know $130 for an HD is ridiculous, but the price piint of the 250GB 360 is about equally ridiculous. With the 4GB model at $199, Microsoft is making a killing on the $299 model. Even at $100 for a 250GB drive, they're still making around $70+ on each sale.

People complain about the price of the add-on HD, but have no real problem paying $100 for the extra 246GB.

I'll probably just buy my own 250GB drive and flash it, which only costs me ~ $40

What about multiple hard drives. I have a 120 gb that is close to full so I had to delete some games I copied to the hard drive. Could I use one for copied games with a gamertag than switch to another drive with the same gamertag (by just transfering the gt with a flash tag or memory card) and play my live games off that hard drive? (I have a new 60 gb drive I haven't used) I would assume that would work even without being connected to live or can you only have one "official hard drive" per 360/gamertag?

If you have a spare USB stick I think another solution would be to just put your GT on that and then leave it plugged in the back or something.

[quote name='kklems']What about multiple hard drives. I have a 120 gb that is close to full so I had to delete some games I copied to the hard drive. Could I use one for copied games with a gamertag than switch to another drive with the same gamertag (by just transfering the gt with a flash tag or memory card) and play my live games off that hard drive? (I have a new 60 gb drive I haven't used) I would assume that would work even without being connected to live or can you only have one "official hard drive" per 360/gamertag?[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure you can swap HDs as often as you'd like.

Okay, so, let's see where this might work.

For $450, you could get a 250GB 360 S with Kinect.
For $413, you could get a 4GB 360 S, plus this HDD, plus Kinect, giving you an extra 4GB of storage (and a matte system that doesn't attract fingerprints) for a $37 savings.

[quote name='100xp']Can't you just use multiple USB sticks until you finally upgrade to a 360slim?[/QUOTE]

I doubt I will ever get a Slim unless my current 360 dies. Just got it in March 09 to replace my launch system which died due to E74.

[quote name='drthkid']This hard drive is for the old 360, which attaches externally. Thread title is wrong.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you're right...I bet no one else actually checked the links :lol:

I'm SOOOOO disappointed that the new Xbox STILL uses proprietary drives.

[quote name='Donutkid2222']terrible deal on the new hard drives if you bought the new slim 4gb, sucks for those people.[/QUOTE]

The 250GB model is equally repulsive from a buyer's perspective. You pay $100 more and get 246GB and a headset, not to mention you have to deal with glossy finish.

The headset should not be more than $10 and a 250GB drive costs $40. The 250GB model, when compared to the 4GB model, should be $250, not $300.

People who go for the $300 model should not believe they are getting a good deal. They are just getting ripped off slightly less than if they bought 4GB model + MS 250gb drive.

[quote name='Ruahrc']This is kind of tempting as my 60GB has been getting full but I would rather just put that $113 towards a new 250GB 360S console instead.[/QUOTE]

smart man.

Hmm... if I can find a sucker buyer for my 120GB and keep the net cost under $60, this might not be a bad idea. Starting to run out of space thanks to Rock Band. Thanks, OP.

[quote name='trax']Hmm... if I can find a sucker buyer for my 120GB and keep the net cost under $60, this might not be a bad idea. Starting to run out of space thanks to Rock Band. Thanks, OP.[/QUOTE]

I would have bought your 120GB from you if you would have posted this last night before I ordered a 250 :p

bread's done
Back