Xbox 360 Play & Charge Kit - $10 @ K-Mart

I have the same question. It seems that these plug and play batteries die quickly. Usually they last me about 6 months or so. This can't be right. I have read when they are not in use they should be disconnected from the controller. Is this right? Anyone have any experience in making these last and what is your trick? Thanks to all!!

Must have for your 360. I've been borrowing a friends for the last 2 years. I keep on forgetting to give it back.

the problem with the play n charge is it only charges when your 360 is on, so in effect you need the quick charge dock to charge when its off.

[quote name='SGT Killjoy']the problem with the play n charge is it only charges when your 360 is on, so in effect you need the quick charge dock to charge when its off.[/QUOTE]

Can't you connect it to your PC to charge? I'm pretty sure.

[quote name='SGT Killjoy']the problem with the play n charge is it only charges when your 360 is on, so in effect you need the quick charge dock to charge when its off.[/QUOTE]

Not true. Plug in the controller and turn on the 360. Wait for the plug light to turn red. When it turns red, turn the 360 off. The controller will continue charging until the battery is full.

One exception is if the light turns green.. then it won't charge when the 360 is turned off but will still keep the 360 in a "standby" mode (fan is still on). Only one of 4 of my battery packs do this and I still don't know how to get around it..

[quote name='klam173']I have the same question. It seems that these plug and play batteries die quickly. Usually they last me about 6 months or so. This can't be right. I have read when they are not in use they should be disconnected from the controller. Is this right? Anyone have any experience in making these last and what is your trick? Thanks to all!![/QUOTE] I have been using the same battery pack for over 2 years, and have had no problems.

[quote name='stupidxaznxboi']Not true. Plug in the controller and turn on the 360. Wait for the plug light to turn red. When it turns red, turn the 360 off. The controller will continue charging until the battery is full.

One exception is if the light turns green.. then it won't charge when the 360 is turned off but will still keep the 360 in a "standby" mode (fan is still on). Only one of 4 of my battery packs do this and I still don't know how to get around it..[/QUOTE]

I know for a fact that the play & charge kit I'm using allows charging when the 360 is "off". With it plugged in, turning off the 360 will keep the fan on and the remote charging. When it's done charging, my 360 turns completely off.

nice deal, thanks op.
151l1259.jpg

The Play & Charge kits suck. I'm glad I spent $25 on the Quick Charge kit as I have 3 controllers and 3 Play and Charge kits and 2 of them will turn to green after a few seconds of charging, even though the battery is still drained. Plug the batteries into the Quick Charge kit and they charge without a problem. Not sure what the problem is with the P&C kits but others report the same problem.

Just got one. Have always thought of buying one but never felt like throwing $20 for it, but for $10 its hard to pass up.

[quote name='mitch079']The Play & Charge kits suck. I'm glad I spent $25 on the Quick Charge kit as I have 3 controllers and 3 Play and Charge kits and 2 of them will turn to green after a few seconds of charging, even though the battery is still drained. Plug the batteries into the Quick Charge kit and they charge without a problem. Not sure what the problem is with the P&C kits but others report the same problem.[/QUOTE]

Listen to this CAG. Don't waste your money using the Play and Charge kit. While you're saving 'cause the battery itself is worth a bit more than $10.00 (msrp), using the Play and Charge will destroy your rechargeable set.

You're better off looking for a used/cheap Quick Charge kit at gamestop, and using that instead.

The only real use out of this thing is to use it without batteries (as a chord), in case you're waiting for the batteries to be charged via the Quick Charge kit or some other rechargeable options.

Hmmm...listening to the comments now I'm unsure on whether I should try to go grab one. I just bought a battery charger cheap off buy.com and thats been going good...just switching out when needed, but I thought these would be better?

[quote name='super_dawn']Hmmm...listening to the comments now I'm unsure on whether I should try to go grab one. I just bought a battery charger cheap off buy.com and thats been going good...just switching out when needed, but I thought these would be better?[/QUOTE]

Use that then. Don't go for the play and charge kit. Mine worked for about 6 months and then took a nosedive. The battery doesn't hold the charge at all. If I leave it in the controller overnight, it will go from full to empty. The charger also stops charging the battery after about 6 seconds of charging. This play and charge kit is another example of Microsoft's cheap manufacturing.

I went to Kmart and the black one rang up full price. Only the white one is on sale. :bomb:

Probably will try pm the black one elsewhere.

Thanks for this, I noticed it wasn't posted anywhere either.

Yes, it's listed in the weekly (the one with the "Sylvania 19in LCD HDTV" on the front) for 9.99. I'll be picking one up tommorow for a friend.

I've had nothing but problems with my 360 rechargeable batteries. Mine lasted for about 1 1/2 years and then suddenly wouldn't hold a charge at all. I've gotten several since then, including a blue one for my other controller. I only ever play by myself, so I used the blue controller for a few months, went back to the white one (which I had just replaced the battery on a few months ago) and it's battery is dead again, won't hold any charge. Used the white one for several months, went back to the blue one, and now IT'S dead. Therefore it seems to me that you can't charge these batteries up and then leave them for any period of time, they will just completely die.

Also, when I plug my controller into the 360 and turn the console off, it does go into "standby" mode, the fan stays on and it charges the controller for a little while (about 20 mins), then turns off. If you then plug the controller into a pc, it thinks it's fully charged and will not charge any more.

The 360 rechargeable batteries are CRAP. But it's the best solution though, changing out regular batteries sucks, so you just gotta keep buying them over and over again.

EDIT: I have not used the Quick Charge dock before. It sounds like that will fix the problem

Finally price matched the black one at Sears. The associate noticed that the ad mentioned the white one on sale but he said it's close enough and let me have it.

what's so special about these things? why not just invest the $10 for regular AA rechargeable batteries that can be used for everything. Is there some sort of advantage that people miss out on if we don't get this?

I'll have to pick up a couple of these tomorrow. I agree with some of the posts here saying they're not fantastic -- my cousin let me borrow one of his, and I killed it within a few months. I need to pick up one to replace his, and one for myself for when I'm achievement whoring and need to leave the console on overnight (I'm looking at you, Superman Returns).

[quote name='JrHu92']what's so special about these things? why not just invest the $10 for regular AA rechargeable batteries that can be used for everything. Is there some sort of advantage that people miss out on if we don't get this?[/QUOTE]

The charge cable is good to have I guess.

I had a number of P&C's as well as a Quick Charge and had issues with them over time. Out of the five batteries I had, two had no charging issues, two batteries would hold about a 50% charge and the other one would hold about a 25% charge. This was after about 2-3 years of light use.

I changed over to using Enerloop AA's in the controllers and have never been happier. The batteries last for a long time and swapping them out is never an issue. Since I have to use AA's in the Wiimotes for my Wii, I just keep a charger on-hand near my consoles and charge them as needed once I switch them out.

I'd pass on the battery packs and the P&C's. If you do go with the battery packs, pick up a Quick Charge Kit, as it's a much better option for battery charging than the boondoggle of the USB cord.

I have also had problems with my Play & Charge Kit. The battery charge doesn't go up. I have to keep it plugged into my controller just to keep the battery alive. So it's basically having a wired controller. But for $10 I think it's worth it because you don't have to buy AA batteries.

I had one of these crap out on me after six months. But I ended up just using it as a wired controller. My 360 is pretty close to my couch so I never really cared that it was wired.

I got one today in Vancouver WA on Andresen. They only had the black ones ringing up at full price, but the $9.99 sign was on it and I got the manager to over ride the price.

Mine just crapped out recently. I would plug it in with a dead or low battery and instead of the red charging light I would get the green full charge light right from the start. Even after leaving it plugged in for hours it wasn't charging it. I ended up getting the Quick Charge kit that does 2 packs at a time. Works much better.

[quote name='mitch079']... 2 of them will turn to green after a few seconds of charging, even though the battery is still drained. Plug the batteries into the Quick Charge kit and they charge without a problem...[/QUOTE]

I completely agree, the exact same thing happened to me. The P&C would turn green (indicating full charge) without ever charging the battery. However when I used my roommates Quick Charge Kit it didn't indicate a false charge and actually charged the battery to full power.

Save your money and buy a quick charge.

[quote name='J7.']When does this end?[/QUOTE]

Saturday is the last day for the sale.

Picked up two of these today. Had to go to two different stores, but it's still worth it. Thanks OP!

[quote name='polishpride212']Went to Walmart and they wouldn't PM it. If I am driving around tomorrow and see a Kmart, I will stop.[/QUOTE]

why not? what was their excuse?

bread's done
Back