Xbox 360 Premium Refurbs $228 and Dropping @ AtomicDeals

Huh, they're stating that the 3 year warranty applies to manufacturer refurbs, something that I've never been able to confirm one way or the other.

The site is legit, my roommate bought a refurbished 360 from them about a month ago and it's working fine. The site also claims the system they sell you will have the 3yr warranty from Microsoft.

1) Buy a bunch of broken 360s for dirt cheap.
2) Use the warranty-voiding "towel trick" that makes them work for another month or two.
3) Sell them online for less than EB's used 360s and claim (erroneously or not) that MS's warranty still applies.
4) ???
5) PROFIT!

The MS warranty is really the big thing. If it does apply, it's a very good deal. But OTOH, why is Atomic Deals adding their own 60 day warranty, if MS's applies? Seems redundant.

i bought a refurbed from them on september 27. broke on november 9. i emailed them and i got a full refund back. i also called microsoft before atomicshopping emailed me back and they said they'd repair it if i sent it in. i opted for the refund, but i also modded it and my modder told me the xbox 360 was towel trick'd.

So this deal is legit? Can anyone confirm? I am not the one purchasing so I dont want to send a friend here for him to get ripped off.

Keep in mind that the MS 3 year warranty only applies if you get the red ring of death. Any other issues that may occur that do not result in the red ring of death are not covered.

For example, the MS 3 year warranty will not apply if the console freezes repeatedly while playing a game. This is when the 60 day refurb warranty comes handy.

Keep in mind that the MS 3 year warranty only applies if your console suffers the 3 red light ring of death.

Any other problems that you might have are not covered by this warranty. An example is if your console freezes repeatedly during gaming. This is where the 60 day refurbished warranty will apply.

[quote name='zkmusa']For example, the MS 3 year warranty will not apply if the console freezes repeatedly while playing a game.[/quote]How common is this?

[quote name='zkmusa']Keep in mind that the MS 3 year warranty only applies if you get the red ring of death. Any other issues that may occur that do not result in the red ring of death are not covered.

For example, the MS 3 year warranty will not apply if the console freezes repeatedly while playing a game. This is when the 60 day refurb warranty comes handy.[/quote]
If I'm not mistaken, repeated freezing means you're on the verge of getting the red ring of death. I don't know anyone who just had their console freeze all the time but continue to work otherwise for an extended period of time. If shit is freezing more than very very rarely then it pretty much means red ring of death will follow in anywhere from a few minutes to a few days.

[quote name='Eleo']If I'm not mistaken, repeated freezing means you're on the verge of getting the red ring of death. I don't know anyone who just had their console freeze all the time but continue to work otherwise for an extended period of time. If shit is freezing more than very very rarely then it pretty much means red ring of death will follow in anywhere from a few minutes to a few days.[/quote]

That's what I used to think too, but recently my console suffered this exact problem. It went on for days without the red ring of death ever appearing. Luckily, I had purchased the extended warranty through Microsoft, and they fixed the problem. Otherwise, I would have had to pay out of pocket.

[quote name='zkmusa']That's what I used to think too, but recently my console suffered this exact problem. It went on for days without the red ring of death ever appearing. Luckily, I had purchased the extended warranty through Microsoft, and they fixed the problem. Otherwise, I would have had to pay out of pocket.[/QUOTE]
How much would it cost to fix that?

[quote name='chaarlieee']How much would it cost to fix that?[/quote]

Honestly, I don't know how much it would cost if I didn't have the extended warranty.

I decided to order one, at this price I think all take the risk. I searched Slickdeals.net and found some old threads about them and they seem legit and it says that they are giving a 90 day warranty, so will see.

[quote name='chaarlieee']How common is this?[/quote]

You could always just force a RRoD, or claim you have one.

Well, I'm convinced not to buy one now.

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showpost.php?p=7545922&postcount=2

I got my "refurbed" xbox 360 several days ago from atomicshopping and am quite disappointed in them.

First of all, the original 1 year warranty has already run out on this unit;

Second, it was registered under someone's name already;

Third, the unit, the controller, and most all of the components were grubby/dirty, with someone's dirty hand prints all over them and a good spread of grease and dirt embedded into the controller;

Fourth, it worked for a solid two minutes before exhibiting the "Red Ring of Death" and failing to function.

It was, of course, when I called Microsoft's xbox consumer assistance line that I found out that my unit had a slight possibility of being stolen, but given that I had a receipt, the CS rep decided to change the registration of the unit over to my name. He next went through the troubleshooting of the unit with me (for the third time I'd been stepped through it) and confirmed that my console will indeed need to be repaired at Microsoft's depot. Then it gets interesting. After giving my information, my CS rep went to enter my console into the system only to find an open repair order on the unit. It had never reached MS and thus had not been repaired. So much for Atomicshopping.com's claims to have "individually tested" every "fully refurbished" unit! So what I bought was basically a lemon, a console that was pre-broken, the customer had called MS and set up the work order, but had probably then seen how much a repair would cost and thus decided to sell it instead, so Atomicshopping may then have jumped on it, or there might have been a middle man. Whatever the actual sequence of events, I am left with a two hundred and eighty dollar paperweight which I have to ship to MS and then wait an estimated 3-4 weeks to have it returned to me in working order.

I have been trying to contact atomicshopping's customer service phone number for the greater part of the day (They are supposedly open from 9 AM to 5 PM M-F CST) but have only gotten in contact with voicemail-boxes so far, and I frankly doubt I will get any return calls.

What are my options here? Do I file a report with the BBB? I already gave the business details to my CS rep at Microsoft so that they can consider filing a suit against Atomicshopping.com for misrepresentation of their product, but if this turns out to be happening to a lot of people, I want to make sure all of our options are wide open and known to us.

That story kind of has me confused.

So, after the console died, the original owner called MS about it, and whatever the result of the call, found it more feasible to get rid of the console entirely than spend anywhere from $0 (assuming it was under warranty) to ~$80 (assuming it was not [I think that's the price to repair out-of-warranty consoles?]) to get it repaired. And then at some point it ends up at AtomicDeals under the label "refurb" and not simply "used".

Then the secondhand owner buys it, it breaks (or rather stays broken), and then he or she calls MS to have it fixed. Doesn't say if the repair was for free or not.

Actually I've been wondering, how do merchants get a hold of legit refurbs? Does Microsoft redistribute them? Does the merchant buy broken consoles, send them to MS to be repaired, get them back, and then resell them at a profit?

"Actually I've been wondering, how do merchants get a hold of legit refurbs? Does Microsoft redistribute them? Does the merchant buy broken consoles, send them to MS to be repaired, get them back, and then resell them at a profit?"

Who knows. On the other hand, that might explain why I always see the "broken, AS-IS" 360s on Ebay consistently selling for $80 - $100. Always wondered who the heck would be buying those, auction after auction.

[quote name='DX_Psycho']microsoft is really lenient on xbox 360 repairs now. people are sending in voided, modded consoles and getting repaired consoles back.[/QUOTE]
I don't want to risk buying a 360 with the seal broken in case I can't get the warranty.

So tempting though.. I'll wait a little longer.

[quote name='chaarlieee']I don't want to risk buying a 360 with the seal broken in case I can't get the warranty.

So tempting though.. I'll wait a little longer.[/QUOTE]

Im with you, iv been dead set against buying a used 360 because of all the problems but this sale makes it mightly tempting. I think what im going to do is go out to dinner with my firends tonight and hit gamesotp for the buy 2 get 1 sale and if when I come back their still in stock and the price is at $200 or below and no one here has anything bad to say yet ill bite.

*goes to check the bbb*

[quote name='chaarlieee']LOL! Literally 10 seconds ago I was like fuck it, I'll buy one.

But it's sold out now.[/quote]

Yeah, it's pretty retarded. It was at 13% and I had even refreshed to confirm that and it was STILL at 13%, but then like a minute or two later it goes straight from 13% to "Sold Out". That seems pretty ridiculous and not likely in my opinion, but whatever. I take that as a sign that I should just get a brand new one instead of a refurbished one.

[quote name='chaarlieee']LOL! Literally 10 seconds ago I was like fuck it, I'll buy one.

But it's sold out now.[/QUOTE]

Hehe my fiancee was taking a look at it and said screw it babe just buy one and it sold out that EXACT second. Anyways, tommorow they are doing it again but bundled with NFS.

[quote name='imaramman']Yeah, it's pretty retarded. It was at 13% and I had even refreshed to confirm that and it was STILL at 13%, but then like a minute or two later it goes straight from 13% to "Sold Out". That seems pretty ridiculous and not likely in my opinion, but whatever. I take that as a sign that I should just get a brand new one instead of a refurbished one.[/quote] Same here. I guess it was a sign.

I'm just going to wait for a great deal on a NEW system with HDMI.. I'll forget about this refurb garbage.

[quote name='DX_Psycho']microsoft is really lenient on xbox 360 repairs now. people are sending in voided, modded consoles and getting repaired consoles back.[/quote]
I've always wanted to try this as this is the case with mine, but I'm scared as hell I'll get caught.

lol is there some kind of graveyard theivery of 360 consoles going on... craziness

how do you know if you're xbox was towel tricked...

bread's done
Back