xbox 360 price drop at Walmart YMMV

thagoat

CAGiversary!
i hit my walmart today to find a shelf full of 360's priced at 379.97. anyone else see this in their neck of the woods? its early for a price drop for such a hot item.

ive looked at that same walmart 3 times in a month. the first time the rack was full. the second time it was empty. this time, it was full with a price drop to boot. i stared at the price tag just making sure it was for the right item. it had the xbox 360 name in fine print. honestly, i don't get it. it won't make them sell any faster, because they're gonna sell anyways. but whatever, its walmart.

Hopefully they are not force bundling core systems. Though that seems more rational than a price drop. I know that Sam's is force bundling.

Weird, only way this makes sense (in my head anyways) is that the first waves of 360s included the media control but the MSRP is the same, strangeeeee.

The walmarts near me always had the original ones $20 cheaper than other stores. Just there way of getting you to buy more from the evil empire.

Weird. Strangely enough I'd still buy the 360 elsewhere for $399.99 just so I didn't have to deal with Wal*Mart.

[quote name='Aleryn']Weird. Strangely enough I'd still buy the 360 elsewhere for $399.99 just so I didn't have to deal with Wal*Mart.[/quote] i think walmart is easy to deal with. the crowds and lines suck though.

[quote name='thagoat']i think walmart is easy to deal with. the crowds and lines suck though.[/QUOTE]

the smell and disorganization is what always gets me.

[quote name='thagoat']i think walmart is easy to deal with. the crowds and lines suck though.[/QUOTE]

My local ones are just horribly managed is all. Real cluttered inside, badly organized, and frankly they're actually pretty dirty. Only speaking for my local ones though, don't know a damn thing about any others.

[quote name='Apossum']the smell and disorganization is what always gets me.[/QUOTE]

For me, it's not just the huddled masses, it's the corporate greed and lousy labor practices. That's why chicks dig me. 'Cause I support the worker.

[quote name='thagoat']i hit my walmart today to find a shelf full of 360's priced at 379.97. anyone else see this in their neck of the woods? its early for a price drop for such a hot item.[/QUOTE]

My Walmart had premiums today. But they were $399.94.

My Walmart might as well have them priced at $12.99 because they haven't had any in ages....... I got mine at launch but have a friend who wants one but is lazy about hunting for systems.

We are getting a new super Walmart opening next month or so, maybe they are at that walmart? I'm not sure how the whole product transfer from the old to new stores works.

[quote name='dmes65']The walmarts near me always had the original ones $20 cheaper than other stores. Just there way of getting you to buy more from the evil empire.[/quote]

of course they want you to buy stuff from them. that is the goal of having a business. plus, if its cheaper there than anywhere else who cares if its wal-mart or a local mom and pop store. cheaper is cheaper.

A Xbox Rep told me that the 360 actually doesn't cost that much to manufacture and it gets an actual profit vs. loss. Unlike the last X-Box. I had thought that the unit actually cost more than what they are selling them though. Can anyone get any official word?

We were talking about the japaneese launch and such. I said at least they are not loosing money by selling systems. If this is true, the cost price being $270 then that would more than likly mean a price drop possibly around fall. I highly doubt it because I think the 360 can sell against the PS3 and Revolution. They could possibly through in a game which won't cost them much. Maybe greatest of the 360 and include like Gemotry Wars.

[quote name='bingbangboom']A Xbox Rep told me that the 360 actually doesn't cost that much to manufacture and it gets an actual profit vs. loss. Unlike the last X-Box. I had thought that the unit actually cost more than what they are selling them though. Can anyone get any official word?

We were talking about the japaneese launch and such. I said at least they are not loosing money by selling systems. If this is true, the cost price being $270 then that would more than likly mean a price drop possibly around fall. I highly doubt it because I think the 360 can sell against the PS3 and Revolution. They could possibly through in a game which won't cost them much. Maybe greatest of the 360 and include like Gemotry Wars.[/QUOTE]

Your rep prob doesn't know what he is talking about. There was alot of info about how they were losing money on each system during the launch. These were made by analysts who specialize in the tech industry.

Systems have almost always lost money. It's the software that makes $ for Sony and MS.

My friend works at a wal-mart. The premiums are $400. He says they are like any regular item. They come in sit for a week or two sale them then get more in stock rinse and repeat.

My Wal*Mart never seems to have any 360s. Also the Wal*Mart by my house isn't that bad, it's not the cleanest place but it isn't dirty, the only problem is weekend crowds, and from 10pm-6am they restock the shelves so the store is full of boxes.

[quote name='OGHowie']Your rep prob doesn't know what he is talking about. There was alot of info about how they were losing money on each system during the launch. These were made by analysts who specialize in the tech industry.

Systems have almost always lost money. It's the software that makes $ for Sony and MS.[/quote]

That isn't 100% accurate. Allegedly they were to loose approx $125 a system. But not only did I read, I am positive jeoff keiley (sp?) talked about the cost either on g4 or the 0 hour event. He said that msft wasn't going to get stuck at a fixed cost like they did with the original xbox and the expensive hard drive. They were going to see the unit cost drop between $100 to $125 each year in january. They didn't say if that was going to be 06 january or 07 january, but there was a little speculation of a price drop when the ps3 launched. They went on to say that msft could drop the msrp of the unit by $50 to $100 on the 360 each year, and still not loose a ton of money like they did last time.

Yeah, and don't forget $50/$40 controllers! Between that and the poor bastards who got a Core and have bought a hard drive and a component/vga cable, MSFT is doing just fine. The other thing to remember is that while they may be taking a small hit on the consoles now, by the end of the cycle they'll be making lots of money as they drive component costs down. So the whole "loss" thing needs to be averaged out over the course of five or so years.

Kinda off topic, kinda..

Wal-marts are hit and miss here in Southern Cali in my experience. The ones in the semi-rich places (simi valley i guess) are pretty clean and neat. Some are complete dirt holes, like the ones in Gardena and Montclair!!!!

ANd they ARE evil!!!!

But I still buy stufff from them, so I guess I am a loser, haha....

Peace

[quote name='thagoat']i hit my walmart today to find a shelf full of 360's priced at 379.97. anyone else see this in their neck of the woods? its early for a price drop for such a hot item.[/QUOTE]

can you give us a location for this particular wal-mart?

[quote name='mrmike']Kinda off topic, kinda..

Wal-marts are hit and miss here in Southern Cali in my experience. The ones in the semi-rich places (simi valley i guess) are pretty clean and neat. Some are complete dirt holes, like the ones in Gardena and Montclair!!!!

ANd they ARE evil!!!!

But I still buy stufff from them, so I guess I am a loser, haha....

Peace[/QUOTE]

What? The Simi store is a MESS. Filthy.

for one its not suprising walmart is walmart they are treating the product like any other product they offer it a lil cheaper..there not being crooks like amazon and ebgames simply cause the item is selling well tripple the price!

And u know what...i want a 360 some day but there 'stock problem' that was oviously microsoft shoving out a failing machine that breaks on alot of customers its pretty rediculous.

Why is there still a 'stock problem'?

I dont like being lied to.

By now there should be plenty on the shelf everywhere.

[quote name='Scobie']For me, it's not just the huddled masses, it's the corporate greed and lousy labor practices. That's why chicks dig me. 'Cause I support the worker.[/QUOTE]

ditto

you know when you see something like that take out your camera phone and take a picture, considering that you have a camera phone

[quote name='ryanbph']That isn't 100% accurate. Allegedly they were to loose approx $125 a system. But not only did I read, I am positive jeoff keiley (sp?) talked about the cost either on g4 or the 0 hour event. He said that msft wasn't going to get stuck at a fixed cost like they did with the original xbox and the expensive hard drive. They were going to see the unit cost drop between $100 to $125 each year in january. They didn't say if that was going to be 06 january or 07 january, but there was a little speculation of a price drop when the ps3 launched. They went on to say that msft could drop the msrp of the unit by $50 to $100 on the 360 each year, and still not loose a ton of money like they did last time.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='little_krampy']I think this is just a Walmart special, like the $119 DS's. I heard the 360 won't drop in price until at least 2007.[/QUOTE]

Merrill Lynch even predicted a drop in price for the 360 one month after launch, saying by November of 2006, if PS3 launched in the US by that time, I think, $300 for the Premium & $225-250 for the core was the prediction.

It would be nice to find the Oremium @ Wal-Mart and happen to know someone who workrd their that would pick it up for you using their 10% discount, getting it for $360-370 total for the premium..

bread's done
Back