Xbox 360 Pro - Guaranteed 512 Jasper for 239.99 @ dell.com

well this makes my 267 360 pro buy (with shipping and tax) back in January look all the more impressive.

Considering they're phasing out the Pro model, I'm not surprise they're selling them at this price. Is this the 20GB HD model? If it is, the it might be better to get a newer arcade model from amazon for $199 and save the $40 toward a bigger HD (you can buy a 120GB HD for $40ish, if you know how to look and do it).

[quote name='coldlight']512 as in it has the 512 internal memory on top of the 60gb hdd?[/QUOTE]
That is exactly correct, rather than the usual 256.

I would post the link, but i am a new user:)

Does this deal include the headset and controller, too? It only lists

What's in the Box

• 1 x Xbox 360 Pro System Gaming Console

If you go to the tech specs, it comes with controller, headset, 60gb hard drive, and cables (non-hdmi). Only thing it doesn't come with is a xbox live trial.

[quote name='nhatkthanh'](you can buy a 120GB HD for $40ish, if you know how to look and do it).[/QUOTE]

will you show me the way? I've been thinking of getting one

Thanks for heads up, but it's sad that they have to confirm it's a jasper that won't fail. You all know Jaspers are not a 100% fail proof.

Nice deal, I have a friend who's looking to buy one I'll let him know. Who would actually ask if people are still buying these? That's a great deal.

[quote name='JohnDoeHoe']Nice deal, I have a friend who's looking to buy one I'll let him know. Who would actually ask if people are still buying these? That's a great deal.[/QUOTE]

I would.

[quote name='OGHowie']Interesting, since my system just RROD.

Maybe Amazon will drop the price too?[/QUOTE]
Just buy a PS3. I'm not tryn to sound like a fanboy as I own a 360 as well, but I have had 4 RROD and after this last one goes out, I am completely done with putting money into a flawed product.

[quote name='PointBlank771']Just buy a PS3. I'm not tryn to sound like a fanboy as I own a 360 as well, but I have had 4 RROD and after this last one goes out, I am completely done with putting money into a flawed product.[/QUOTE]

I have a PS3 and even with the RROD I rather have a 360. I only use my PS3 for movies and PS3 exclusives.

I definitely have a love and hate relationship with MS.

mine just RROD and Im tempted to do this and sell whatever they send back on ebay. I have a pro with a 20gb but the extra 40gb would be nice to have. Do the arcades still come with the non-chrome disc tray?

[quote name='nhatkthanh']Considering they're phasing out the Pro model, I'm not surprise they're selling them at this price. Is this the 20GB HD model? If it is, the it might be better to get a newer arcade model from amazon for $199 and save the $40 toward a bigger HD (you can buy a 120GB HD for $40ish, if you know how to look and do it).[/QUOTE]

You're going to need to link some serious sources to keep me from calling massive bullshit on this.

You can get a 120GB hdd for around $70 (as I did last week to great effect). Even if you're sourcing your own hard drive and flashing the firmware you're not going to get much cheaper than that. The Western Digital hard drives in question are $50-60 and then you'd have to acquire the enclosure. But you're not going to get them down to $40. For a 20 or 60, sure, but not for 120GB.

If you're really cheap and willing to put up with some waiting you might be able to find a 120 for down around $60, but you're not going to get much lower out of pocket unless you already have a compatible WD hdd sitting around.

[quote name='mikeja72']mine just RROD and Im tempted to do this and sell whatever they send back on ebay. I have a pro with a 20gb but the extra 40gb would be nice to have. Do the arcades still come with the non-chrome disc tray?[/quote]

Yes, they do. It looks a little boring with the stock faceplate (but it's a boring-looking console to begin with), for $5-10 you can replace that with something else. I've got the 2006 World Cup faceplate and the white-ish color matches the port covers so it looks much nicer than if the tray were chrome.

[quote name='mikeja72']mine just RROD and Im tempted to do this and sell whatever they send back on ebay. I have a pro with a 20gb but the extra 40gb would be nice to have. Do the arcades still come with the non-chrome disc tray?[/QUOTE]

If you're not under warranty, the RROD is easy to fix. Check out Team Xecuter RROD kit.

[quote name='hpv']You're going to need to link some serious sources to keep me from calling massive bullshit on this.
[/QUOTE]
Joystiq and other sites have stories on the pro models getting phased out. They have pics of new arcade boxes that only list the arcade and elite as available models. Plus, rumors of the elite going to $299.

[quote name='colt4by5']Joystiq and other sites have stories on the pro models getting phased out. They have pics of new arcade boxes that only list the arcade and elite as available models. Plus, rumors of the elite going to $299.[/QUOTE]
Hmm I thought he was talking about calling bullshit on the $40 120gb HD (which he talked about in the 2nd paragraph). If not, yeah its been the big rumor that Aug 31st the Elite drops to $299...hoping this ends up being true, I still have a launch 20gb Pro that has not got RROD, I get the feeling that its days are numbered even though it has not given any signs.

[quote name='hpv']You're going to need to link some serious sources to keep me from calling massive bullshit on this.

You can get a 120GB hdd for around $70 (as I did last week to great effect). Even if you're sourcing your own hard drive and flashing the firmware you're not going to get much cheaper than that. The Western Digital hard drives in question are $50-60 and then you'd have to acquire the enclosure. But you're not going to get them down to $40. For a 20 or 60, sure, but not for 120GB.

[/QUOTE]

I think it's ok to post this, if not mod please remove it.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/150970/upgrade_your_xbox_360s_hard_drive_on_the_cheap.html

Although the hard drive model use in this seem to have sold out on newegg, last time I checked it was $40ish with free shipping. Thinking of upgrading my 20GB, but instead I found a 120GB on clearance. Of course if you find a good deal on the official one then go with that. This is just a solution for those who need extra space to install their games on HD and don't want to pay $100+ on a 120GB HD that is obviously overprice, or have to keep hunting around for a decent deal on the 120GB.

[quote name='colt4by5']Joystiq and other sites have stories on the pro models getting phased out. They have pics of new arcade boxes that only list the arcade and elite as available models. Plus, rumors of the elite going to $299.[/QUOTE]

I obviously, if you knew how to read, was calling bullshit on a $40 120GB hdd for xbox 360.

Of course the 60GB model is on the way out and the price is coming down. Microsoft has been riding high on (largely misinformed) perception that their console is not only cheaper than PS3 but significantly so. With the PS3Slim confirmed for September release at $299.99 (I've written this so many times on the Internet that it must be true by now!) they have to do something because otherwise Sony will have a very good case to make that their system is actually cheaper since it will definitely ship with a hdd larger than 60GB and costs nothing to play online.

The three tiered system for 360s hasn't made sense in a long time (and at the prices, it never did) so this is a long overdue correction. The question isn't whether they'll phase out the "Pro" and "Elite" SKUs and just have a single 120GB SKU, but whether or not the Arcade will be replaced by a model with a harddrive before they scrap it completely and whether or not it will receive a price cut as well.

Please come correct next time and at least bother to read the context before taking it out.

It's nice that they are dropping the price and all, but the fact that RROD's are still going on makes me avoid this console (Did the original Xbox have this issue or similar problems?).

I decided to wait until the Arcade goes $99 to match the PS2, buy an extended warranty (which would be close to what I paid for the PS2) and buy a hard drive eventually.

Just buy a JASPER 120GB Elite with 2 games at Best Buy, its $399 now or $349, But in 2 weeks go back and get the Price match

plus if you buy before 8-22 you get a $25 gift card.

[quote name='Master Ninja']It's nice that they are dropping the price and all, but the fact that RROD's are still going on makes me avoid this console (Did the original Xbox have this issue or similar problems?).[/quote]

No console has ever had anything like the failure rates of the 360. I think the initial batch of PS2s (just the launch run) had a failure rate that was in the ballpark, but definitely not persistent over 3 years after release. I'm actually more surprised that the original didn't have problems than that the 360 is such a piece of shit (though there are some really nice things about the system, the hardware is terribly constructed). In fact, of the few people I know who had an original Xbox the only one who had one die was a buddy who took his to Afghanistan and it didn't respond well to the sand at all.

[quote name='Master Ninja']Just buy a JASPER 120GB Elite with 2 games at Best Buy, its $399 now or $349, But in 2 weeks go back and get the Price match

plus if you buy before 8-22 you get a $25 gift card.[/QUOTE]

Is that the Fable 2 + Halo 3 bundle? I thought those were still Falcon chipset, or at least a mix of Falcons and Jaspers. Though I guess if you're walking in to Best Buy you can take a look before buying it.

And has anyone seen any reliable statistics on Jasper failures? They've been around for a while and I haven't seen much in the way of complaints.

$400 is way too much to invest in a system with questionable hardware. A friend of mine got the RROD three times even after sending it to Miscrosoft to be repaired. I'm not taking that risk until I hear of better hardware capabilities.

[quote name='hpv']I obviously, if you knew how to read, was calling bullshit on a $40 120GB hdd for xbox 360.[/QUOTE]

I was curious about this and found it documented in the kmart clearance thread here. If you're lucky, they're on clearance at kmart for $37. I checked my closest kmart but wasn't lucky

[quote name='ikaden']If you're not under warranty, the RROD is easy to fix. Check out Team Xecuter RROD kit.[/QUOTE]

Linkage please :bouncy:

Cage017, what are you talking about. Didn't you even read the title? It's $240 with free shipping. I'm wondering if Amazon will offer the same price, though. Doesn't Dell charge tax, or no?

I was responding to Master Ninja's comment on a $400 recommendation. $240 really isn't bad, but still not enough for me to cave in to buying an Xbox for the first time.

I think a lot of the problem was the first Xbox was probably over-engineered.. I heard some weird issues here and there about it but I always had the impression that it was a very solid (and big ;) ) system overall. I think MS decided they had to cut a lot of corners to release a system as powerful as the 360 was as early as it was... and they just cut way too many.. :/

[quote name='Rodster']Linkage please :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

The Team Xecuter RROD kit info is found here with tutorials. I bought mine from divineo.net although you can get them a little cheaper on ebay.

[quote name='Master Ninja']Just buy a JASPER 120GB Elite with 2 games at Best Buy, its $399 now or $349, But in 2 weeks go back and get the Price match

I have no doubt that gift card will be taken out of the 360 price (ie, they sell the 360 for 374.99 and make you pay for the $25 giftcard as a bundled transaction at 399.99). It would be just better to pay full price and get the full difference refunded back as cash when the price drops.

Hmmm, I might do this at TRU since they give you a $50gc + 1600 pts this week.

I agree with Howie. I use my 360 almost all the time even with the RROD that I have encountered. I use my ps3 only for watching movies and ps3 exclusives. I love the 360 for its seamless media center capability ( I know ps3 has one too) But it's much easier and includes a better interface on the 360.

[quote name='hpv']I obviously, if you knew how to read, was calling bullshit on a $40 120GB hdd for xbox 360.
[/QUOTE]
Lol, wow, you are quite the asshole :D. Sorry for misunderstanding your post... I thought you were replying to his comments in order, based on how you had your paragraphs broken up. I'm also sorry that your parents didn't give you enough hugs growing up, creating the tool shed we see here today.

This would definitely be the way to do it, except that all the Elites are Falcons.

My Jasper had 3 RRD. JASPER dont mean anything to me! It just another lie.

Just make sure you have that dual heat sink then remove the x-clamps & Bolt your chips down.

A high speed fan helps too.

I've been going back and forth wanting to buy an 360 and not. The RROD still irks me to no end. I honestly don't understand why people fumed and pointed fingers at a $400 PS3 which comes with a decent sized hard drive, doesn't make you pay to play your games (which you paid for) online, and doesn't have a 30% chance to break.

Even if I got a 360 under warranty and it RROD'd, that's still probably a month or so that I don't have the console I paid for. Screw that. The only reason I even consider it is because, thanks to the general populace's failure to understand that $80 more for a console that WORKS and actually SUPPORTS 1080p in all incarnations is worth it, and thanks to the unbelievable following Halo has, many RPGs and other worthy games are 360 exclusive.

As it stands, based on the ridiculous numbers posted here regarding RROD issues, I'm back to not even considering it. I got my PS3 for $200 with the old Chase credit card deal and at least 80% of the games I want to play are on both consoles or PS3 exclusive (Valkyria Chronicles, thank you for justifying my purchase once and for all).

I know I sound like the dreaded, stigmatic "fanboy," but logic prevails, imo. I'm just sad that I have to miss out on some good RPGs.

It irks me too honestly, but I have to admit, I prefer the UI and overall experience better. Little things like Netflix Watch it Now, not having to download and install a game. They may be different sizes, but in the end anything I download on 360 is always faster, not even factoring in having to install it after on the ps3. The failure rate is awful though. I have a RROD 360 off to repair.

I'm heavily considering getting this deal from dell and ebaying the refurbished unit with my 20gb hd and the new controller. Any idea how much I could get for it on ebay these days? Anything I need to know about wiping the harddrive or anything else? Any reason I shouldn't do it (aside from money)?

[quote name='zeb06']Hmm I thought he was talking about calling bullshit on the $40 120gb HD (which he talked about in the 2nd paragraph). If not, yeah its been the big rumor that Aug 31st the Elite drops to $299...hoping this ends up being true, I still have a launch 20gb Pro that has not got RROD, I get the feeling that its days are numbered even though it has not given any signs.[/QUOTE]

i'm in the same boat, launch 20gb pro. running out of space too. unfortunately i just bought a car. maybe during xmas lol.

The RROD makes the 360 cheap, but when it works, its well worth the headache and turns it from cheap to awesome.

I always have 2 360's There're real cheap now. i even got one for $5.00 on ebay. If youre handy you can fix it. no matter what it costs to fix or repair it, i get my moneys worth with all the hours and games i have.

No matter what game, people are on Live playing it.

People also have to be smart. Make your room cool and play in a cool room. point a fan at the the 360 if you have to.

Just like your favorite toy, car or boat - when it breaks you fix it! Then you go back and have fun again. If you ever rode a dirt bike, you know what i mean.

well folks generally don't post things like 'my xbox totally worked without a problem today' because that's boring to say and even more boring to read.

bread's done
Back