XBOX 360 Red Ring of Death FAQ: Soon to be known as the Red Dot of Death! :P

[quote name='riddler']Hey everyone, i'm new to the 360. My cousins just came from korea where they had bought a 360 about a year ago. They brought it with them when they came to live with us (they are starting school here...). When i tried to set it up, i got the rrod. It is my understanding that MS will replace it if the console is still under warranty (3 years), but what if the product was purchased over seas? They don't have a receipt or anything so how could i prove that the system is still under warranty? Sorry if this specific topic has been covered already, just can't read through it all. Thanks for any help you guys can give![/quote]
Yea you dont need a receipt to send it back to microsoft.
Just make sure its still in warranty or else theyll send it back to you.

oh really? how will they confirm if it is still under warranty though? Can they tell just by looking at the serial number or something? Thanks!

also umm do you guys know if 360s can play burned games without being modded? The reason i am asking is because i noticed that all of my cousin's games are all burned copies. Yea i know, but they said in korea that's just how it is. Anyhow i was wondering because i know that modding a system voids the warranty, and i am hoping that 360s can just play burned games without modifications.

thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know how long it usually takes them to fix the actual system? They sent me an email exactly two weeks ago saying they got it, but it's still in the repair process apparently. I'm just getting worried that it wont get back by the time I have to go back to college (aka Friday)

I got a message last monday, dec 28th, that my xbox was fixed and ready to be shipped. I havn't heard anything since then or gotten it in the mail. Any tips? Is there a # i can call?

EDIT: Found the #, automated message says it's been shipped back to me already but does not say when or give a tracking number.

Last edited by a moderator:
my new jasper 360 has frozen 3 times total in sega superstars tennis during online matches, each time i played around 8-12 hours (no RRoD, just a screen freeze). i wanted to see if it'd freeze after playing so long.. and i guess it did. should i take the console back to the store and try for a new one? btw there was very little heat coming from the console and power brick.. so i doubt it overheated. i'd like to know if anyone here has never had their console freeze and plays online games a lot?

i requested a box online a couple days before xmas and i still havent received it. should i cancel and request again? is it better to this over the phone?

[quote name='DemonAlcohol']I got a message last monday, dec 28th, that my xbox was fixed and ready to be shipped. I havn't heard anything since then or gotten it in the mail. Any tips? Is there a # i can call?

EDIT: Found the #, automated message says it's been shipped back to me already but does not say when or give a tracking number.[/QUOTE]

Day after I post this the UPS man knocks at my door.

[quote name='sunghost']my new jasper 360 has frozen 3 times total in sega superstars tennis during online matches, each time i played around 8-12 hours (no RRoD, just a screen freeze). i wanted to see if it'd freeze after playing so long.. and i guess it did. should i take the console back to the store and try for a new one? btw there was very little heat coming from the console and power brick.. so i doubt it overheated. i'd like to know if anyone here has never had their console freeze and plays online games a lot?[/QUOTE]

my jasper has frozen a few times but only during GTA4 (got from gamefly) and NCAA 09 (got from gamesto used) they have very minor scratches so im not sure if its the games that are causing it. No RROD either and it doesn't make the scratching noise when it freezes.

Wow... they got mine this Monday, checked the status today and it said the repair was completed and on the way back already.

Does anyone know where I can get the new tracking number? They never e-mailed me anything.

[quote name='DiscoDuck8k']Wow... they got mine this Monday, checked the status today and it said the repair was completed and on the way back already.

Does anyone know where I can get the new tracking number? They never e-mailed me anything.[/quote]

Lucky, my system just entered the repairing stage yesterday after I sent it in a week and 3 days ago...

Just my luck, my repair status says "Current Status: Invalid tracking number" although when I plug the tracking number from the Print E-Label link into ups.com it says it was delivered to the repair center on Monday! So, the images on the top of the status page state they are still waiting on my console! So, I called MS Support and they are clueless as to what's going on but at least the guy on the phone did the same thing to verify on ups.com that the 360 was delivered on Monday. He also said that if the status page still hasn't changed by tomorrow I need to call back because something is seriously wrong. You'd think they'd update their system regardless since the shipping label has the repair reference number/ID on it.

[quote name='anubis20']my jasper has frozen a few times but only during GTA4 (got from gamefly) and NCAA 09 (got from gamesto used) they have very minor scratches so im not sure if its the games that are causing it. No RROD either and it doesn't make the scratching noise when it freezes.[/quote]

yeah that's annoying. i don't have a problem returning it.. but i get paranoid when i think how many times i'm going to have to exchange them to get one that doesn't freeze. i have ocd so i hate dealing with that.

[quote name='woodcan']Just my luck, my repair status says "Current Status: Invalid tracking number" although when I plug the tracking number from the Print E-Label link into ups.com it says it was delivered to the repair center on Monday! So, the images on the top of the status page state they are still waiting on my console! So, I called MS Support and they are clueless as to what's going on but at least the guy on the phone did the same thing to verify on ups.com that the 360 was delivered on Monday. He also said that if the status page still hasn't changed by tomorrow I need to call back because something is seriously wrong. You'd think they'd update their system regardless since the shipping label has the repair reference number/ID on it.[/quote]

Yipee! So, today my status changed from the above to "Repair in progress"....I guess they finally realized they had my 360.

Well, I've had quite an adventure trying to get my fucking xbox back to me after it was repaired. I posted at DVD Talk and I'll cut & paste it here :

Yes, I did just buy an xbox 360 with the sole purpose of returning it to Walmart next week in hopes it will end up back with Microsoft for "repair". I never thought it would come to this, but sadly it has.

Here's my story : When I got the RRoD in mid-December, I called and had a coffin sent to my house. I didn't think at the time about needing to be there when the console was returned. I shipped it off the next day. Then I read about the signature requirement for the console return. I called MS. The CSR told me it would not be a problem to ship it to my office and took my info. A couple of weeks later, the console was repaired. Sure enough those idiots shipped it to my HOUSE. I called them and told them I wanted a delivery intercept (which can only be done by the shipper, not the receiver). They took the info and said it would be no problem. Of course, they didn't call UPS and the package arrived at my house instead of my office and was sent back to the Las Vegas shipping center.
Here's where it gets interesting: I call UPS and tell them I want it sent to my office. I give them the address. The woman says it'll arrive in two days. I ask her why since my office is only 15 minutes from my house. She says she doesn't know but she'll look into it. This morning I check the tracking information and I find my 360 is now in SALT LAKE CITY! I call up UPS to ask what the fuck? They inform me that ha-ha the CSR accidentally transposed two digits in the zip code and it's on it's way to someplace called Lovelock, NV. To make it worse, they claim that #1: They can't reroute the package until it gets to Lovelock and that #2 : Even then, they can't expedite the shipping because it has a Ground Shipping label on it. I ask for a manager and he reiterates the same thing. I'm dumbfounded that a shipping company is so inept that they can't even correcting their mistakes by rerouting from SLC during the departure scan or by expediting shipping. It's beyond comprehension. Basically, I have to wait until tomorrow for the console to arrive in Lovelock for them to turn it around and ship by Ground back to Vegas (Hopefully) to get it by Tuesday if I'm lucky.

Now I have a PS3 and I don't mind playing games on it. But now I was so furious that logic left the scene. I checked and rechecked the Wal-Mart return policy. 90 days with receipt. I taped my receipt to the box and bought me a new Arcade model. Once my 360 returns, back this one goes. I plan to give some story to make sure it gets returned to Microsoft for repairs. I just don't think I want to go another weekend without it under these circumstances. If MS has to eat a new console in the process, so be it!

[/rant]
Whew, that felt good to get off my chest

Okay, so my Xbox arrived at the repair center on the 5th, and they shipped it back to me on the 7th. That's one fast repair! I hope they didn't give me a refurbished unit. Guess I'll find out today or Monday.

If anyone else needs to know the tracking number for their return shipment and didn't get it directly.

Go to ups.com > Tracking > Track by Reference. Enter the reference number MS originally gave you for the repair in Shipment Reference, pick the destination/zip code, and you're there. Saves you from having to make a call.

[quote name='Decker']Well, I've had quite an adventure trying to get my fucking xbox back to me after it was repaired. I posted at DVD Talk and I'll cut & paste it here :

Yes, I did just buy an xbox 360 with the sole purpose of returning it to Walmart next week in hopes it will end up back with Microsoft for "repair". I never thought it would come to this, but sadly it has.

Here's my story : When I got the RRoD in mid-December, I called and had a coffin sent to my house. I didn't think at the time about needing to be there when the console was returned. I shipped it off the next day. Then I read about the signature requirement for the console return. I called MS. The CSR told me it would not be a problem to ship it to my office and took my info. A couple of weeks later, the console was repaired. Sure enough those idiots shipped it to my HOUSE. I called them and told them I wanted a delivery intercept (which can only be done by the shipper, not the receiver). They took the info and said it would be no problem. Of course, they didn't call UPS and the package arrived at my house instead of my office and was sent back to the Las Vegas shipping center.
Here's where it gets interesting: I call UPS and tell them I want it sent to my office. I give them the address. The woman says it'll arrive in two days. I ask her why since my office is only 15 minutes from my house. She says she doesn't know but she'll look into it. This morning I check the tracking information and I find my 360 is now in SALT LAKE CITY! I call up UPS to ask what the fuck? They inform me that ha-ha the CSR accidentally transposed two digits in the zip code and it's on it's way to someplace called Lovelock, NV. To make it worse, they claim that #1: They can't reroute the package until it gets to Lovelock and that #2 : Even then, they can't expedite the shipping because it has a Ground Shipping label on it. I ask for a manager and he reiterates the same thing. I'm dumbfounded that a shipping company is so inept that they can't even correcting their mistakes by rerouting from SLC during the departure scan or by expediting shipping. It's beyond comprehension. Basically, I have to wait until tomorrow for the console to arrive in Lovelock for them to turn it around and ship by Ground back to Vegas (Hopefully) to get it by Tuesday if I'm lucky.

Now I have a PS3 and I don't mind playing games on it. But now I was so furious that logic left the scene. I checked and rechecked the Wal-Mart return policy. 90 days with receipt. I taped my receipt to the box and bought me a new Arcade model. Once my 360 returns, back this one goes. I plan to give some story to make sure it gets returned to Microsoft for repairs. I just don't think I want to go another weekend without it under these circumstances. If MS has to eat a new console in the process, so be it!

[/rant]
Whew, that felt good to get off my chest[/quote]
You know this plan is gonna back fire on you right?

God dammit, the repair center received my system on Tuesday, and the status has not changed from "received at repair center". On top of that, it got delivered technically on Monday, and only took like 5 days to get there, but it took about 8 days for the coffin to get to my house, so I don't expect the system to get here super fast >_

well my xbox got delivered on wednesday but it took until last night for them to update there website that just said it was delivered. Still says waiting on console..

Does anyone know why my Xbox gives me "Disc is unreadable." errors when playing downloaded demos and such? Haven't really played any CD games on it lately, but when playing demos this pops up.

Ok, so it looks like my 360 just bit the dust. But it's not an RRoD. I was sitting down and watching a video when suddenly the colors went inverted and grainy. I went back to the dashboard and the colors stayed the same. I figured something must've messed up and could be fixed with a restart. Rebooted the 360, no signal is being sent at all. I wondered if it was the HDMI cable or the TV, so I tried the HDMI cable with my PS3 and everything worked fine. I then tried using the component and composite options with my 360 and only got audio, no video whatsoever.

Is this a common problem? What are my options at this point, I've had my 360 for about a year or so and I'm sure this isn't covered under the 3 year RRoD warranty. I'd really like to avoid that $99 repair fee at all costs, because it's pretty ridiculous.

My Xbox just bit the big one today. My roomate went to go boot it up to play some Mass Effect... and then came to just outside my bedroom door frame... "...don't be mad at me..." came his voice, softly, from the hallway. My soul cringed. I knew already what it was; but a quick jaunt to the living room, and yep, RRoD.

My other roomate has (forcefully) suggested I towel trick it, and then got pissed when I said No, and that I would just send it in for repairs. I don't understand why he is being a pain in my rump over something that is MY property. Whatever.

So I guess, now I will have to get a coffin. Oh joy.

Oh, and for all of you keeping track, I got my Xbox in August 2007. So about a year and a half.

Question -- is there any way I can request to be replaced with a Jasper? Or is it just run of the luck, they ship you what you get? Can I get my actual 360 back? And I read the FAQ, and saw the notch about warranty... is that 90 extra days tacked on to the three years, or 90 days flat from receiving your refurb?

Yup it happened again, this is the second time I got the RROD so I wasn't so pissed. In fact I was more like meh as I went through the regular troubleshooting done and then call. I noticed something weird when I was playing PGR4 a few weeks ago, the video would cut out to complete blackness and then back in sometimes when I was racing. Weird as it wasn't like all the time. I also noticed, when I decided to try a different game, that when I was playing GRID that there was some fuzziness to my video. This is what happened last time when I noticed it when playing Test Drive Unlimited.

Never thought I'd get the RROD today and I always cringe when I turn my system on except for today hahaha IRONY!! Sooooo it was a brand new system, was surprised to find it when I got my second repair back, so I argued with the lady that I should have 3 yrs since its a new console. She then told me the whole 90 day extension and if I send in my console they're repair it for free. Ahh ok what?! I'm not gonna argue, they'll probably bill me later anyways...

Well the xbox I received doesn't read discs half the time. Some games won't play at all and others will stop in-game with a cannot read disc error. Annoying.

[quote name='DemonAlcohol']Well the xbox I received doesn't read discs half the time. Some games won't play at all and others will stop in-game with a cannot read disc error. Annoying.[/quote]

Anyone know if this is a very common occurrence?

Got mine back tonight, seems to indeed be mine rather than a replacement. It hardly ever read games in the past and is so quiet overall compared to before when it made unexplainable loud rattling noises and sounded like a lawnmower.

I'm happy either way. Hope it lasts this time.

Is there no real way to track it? Didn't email me and say the tracking number. Website just says it was shipped. Guess I'll just have to wait til the end of the week.

[quote name='Darkchaos91']Is there no real way to track it? Didn't email me and say the tracking number. Website just says it was shipped. Guess I'll just have to wait til the end of the week.[/quote]

Just wait. It will get there soon.

[quote name='Darkchaos91']Is there no real way to track it? Didn't email me and say the tracking number. Website just says it was shipped. Guess I'll just have to wait til the end of the week.[/QUOTE]

Call 800-4MY XBOX. They'll give you the tracking number, then you can track at UPS.com. I'm sure having fun watching my package bounce all around this state and Utah!

[quote name='ITDEFX']You know this plan is gonna back fire on you right?[/QUOTE]

#1 : It didn't. Got my console delived back to me today. Took the Arcade unit back to Wal-Mart. Told them it made a loud noise (which it does). Got my $215 refunded in 5 minutes, after inspection by electronics guy.
#2 : "Backfire" is one word, not two.

[quote name='nightwarrior']are you suppose to put the reference number on the outside of the box and inside with the system because i just put it on the outside.[/QUOTE]

I do both personally but I think the directions only require it on the outside.

[quote name='Decker']#1 : It didn't. Got my console delived back to me today. Took the Arcade unit back to Wal-Mart. Told them it made a loud noise (which it does). Got my $215 refunded in 5 minutes, after inspection by electronics guy.
#2 : "Backfire" is one word, not two.[/quote]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPxY8lpYAUM

You got lucky then.

Got a call from UPS that my 360 is coming tomorrow. So, shipped on 12/23, will get it on 1/15. I guess that's not too bad considering I shipped it during the busiest of times. =p

[quote name='daphatty']Well, it was inevitable, my nearly three year old, nearly launch 360 red ringed on Saturday. I belted out quite the NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! when it happened. I was quite upset since I planned on using it during the holidays. I didn't start feeling better about it until after I realized that a) this was my first RROD and b) I still have 4 days left on my three year warranty!!!!

Talk about timing![/QUOTE]

So my 360 arrived yesterday via fedex, a little over 3 weeks after I sent it out. I was surprised that Microsoft took so long to send me a replacement. After all, how long does it take to send out a unit that's been waiting on a shelf in Texico, right?

As soon as I opened the box I realized why my exchange took so long. Microsoft actually repaired my 360! I got the exact same unit that I sent them. At first I was a bit disappointed (I was looking forward to having an HDMI port) but then I realized that I wouldn't need to transfer any of my DLC licenses, nor would I need to be connected to XBL to play my DLC. The extra wait time was definitely worth it. Now on to some gaming!

So I got my 360 today :D. Is it normal to have to 'update' your xbox again and have it go through that "welcome to the xbox experience" intro? Its the same xbox, same SN. Just wondering..

[quote name='cmart05']Wow I thought the Xbox 360 Elite with the Falcon chip was "immune" to the RRoD... boy was I wrong..[/quote]

unfortunate the GPU cooling is poor in the 360, the cooler chip and the better heatsink help, but never was it "immune"

[quote name='danked']unfortunate the GPU cooling is poor in the 360, the cooler chip and the better heatsink help, but never was it "immune"[/quote]

Yeah I figured as much... I did a quick search on-line though and I found that the Elite's only have a 10% rate of RRoD issues... I guess I'm part of that 10% lol

[quote name='daphatty']So my 360 arrived yesterday via fedex, a little over 3 weeks after I sent it out. I was surprised that Microsoft took so long to send me a replacement. After all, how long does it take to send out a unit that's been waiting on a shelf in Texico, right?

As soon as I opened the box I realized why my exchange took so long. Microsoft actually repaired my 360! I got the exact same unit that I sent them. At first I was a bit disappointed (I was looking forward to having an HDMI port) but then I realized that I wouldn't need to transfer any of my DLC licenses, nor would I need to be connected to XBL to play my DLC. The extra wait time was definitely worth it. Now on to some gaming![/quote]
Same story here. I'm kinda disappointed though. My 360 had some rough marks on it and they didn't bother clean it-- unlike that one guy who had all those Bungie autographs on his! =p Also, I was talking with the UPS guy and he said when sent his in, he got a brand new 360 instead. Hmph.

But oh well, back for some gaming.

so i tried turning my xbox 360 elite back on today to see if it worked.. and it did!

Should I still be cautious and send in my elite to get fixed? Or was that just some sort of fluke?

The last thing I remember doing before getting the RRoD was accidentally hitting "Recover GamerTag" seeing "downloading update" and the quickly shutting off my XBox.

You might have to send it soon, probably only a matter of time before it happens again.

Surprised to see so many people getting back their own, actually repaired. I'm thankful to get mine, was dreading them sending a cheap replacement.

bread's done
Back