XBOX 360 Red Ring of Death FAQ: Soon to be known as the Red Dot of Death! :P

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']Before my 360 died I streamed movies to it from my PC. Now with my refurb I get "no PC found". What could have changed that it is not detecting my 360?[/QUOTE]

You have to go to the sharing settings on your PC to allow the "new" 360 to share.

[quote name='spoo']You have to go to the sharing settings on your PC to allow the "new" 360 to share.[/quote]
Sorry to sound like such a newb. But where do I do that at? I'm on XP if that matters. Many thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']Sorry to sound like such a newb. But where do I do that at? I'm on XP if that matters. Many thanks.[/QUOTE]

If you are using Windows Media Player 11 to share open MP11 and right click on 'Library' on the to bar and then click on 'Media Sharing' and then click on the Xbox 360 symbol that has and explanation mark on it and click to 'alow' it.

[quote name='spoo']If you are using Windows Media Player 11 to share open MP11 and right click on 'Library' on the to bar and then click on 'Media Sharing' and then click on the Xbox 360 symbol that has and explanation mark on it and click to 'alow' it.[/quote]
I did that. I have three 360's granted permission (previous 360's that have died). How do I let WMP11 know there is a new 360 I want to grant permission to? Should I remove the other 360s that have been granted permission and power on the new 360 and select it? Thanks.

Basically my PC doesn't detect the new 360 and the 360 doesn't see my PC. Never any problems before. IMy 360 gets online fine also. Hmmmm.

I sent my buster-box to ms a week from last saturday. one red light, E74 message, but i told ms agent it was RROD to try and save 100 bucks. It arrived in mesquite texas repair center 2day and a new one is already on the way. hope i get it b4 the weekend. they said they would contact me if it was not RROD and i could pay to have it repaired, never heard from them. hope i get a new one.

good job on the free fix. My first system had that problem but i never sent it back to MS just parted it out on ebay.The e74 error should still be include that in there whole rrod warranty as its a MS issues and they have said the problem is with the ANA/HANA chip a general hardware failure issue and love how they try to charge people to fix the system. Like it's your fault they made a system with defects.

Got a Xenon Pro back with a BenQ drive... at least the drive is quiet, not sure about the system... Date: June 26th 2008.

My Elite came back today, and it's two months older than the one I sent in. :whistle2:/ Ah well... I'll hook it up until it dies too. :p 6/17/2007 back. I'll have to check on my drive later...

I bought a Halo 3 360 yesterday. It has a 203W power supply and was manufactured on 8/8/07. That makes this the older model, right (Zephyr I believe)? Well, when my 360 RRoDs (which it will),will they send me back a Falcon?

[quote name='naes']I bought a Halo 3 360 yesterday. It has a 203W power supply and was manufactured on 8/8/07. That makes this the older model, right (Zephyr I believe)? Well, when my 360 RRoDs (which it will),will they send me back a Falcon?[/QUOTE]

Yes you have a older unit with the better heatsinks anyways, however your unit is not a Falcon. Chances are if your unit RRODs next year you'll get a "Opus" with HDMI, but seems like MS still has stockpiles of Zephyrs. But from xbox.com and many other sites I have been reading over the RROD fiasco, most of the consoles will soon be shipped back as OPUS'es which are basically Falcon units without HDMI, so im guessing you'll get a OPUS with HDMI or a falcon or whatever down the road. Main reason being MS will have to deal with less repairs if they are sending back more Falcons.

Just curious:

My 360 RROD last week. After calling (oh and the reps aren't THAT bad) on the 5th, they said to expect an email with the label within 48 hrs. I called them back on the 7th saying I still didn't get an email with the label. They closed the order and opened up a new one and said I should get a new label within 48 hours. I called yesterday night saying I still didn't get one, and the guy assured me that I should get one by the end of the day today.

Assuming I don't get one by tonight (seems unlikely as I still don't have it), is there any way I can get some sort of compensation from MS? I'm not trying to be greedy or anything, but I think it's unreasonable for me to have waited an extra week to send my box in when this issue could've been resolved easily in the first place if they just sent me a coffin. Or, could they upgrade my box to overnight shipping both ways? At the very least, free points or something? What should I say?

[quote name='pogipinoy27']Yada, yada...[/QUOTE]

I had the same issue before and they tried re-sending the label to my e-mail (wtf are they using to have so many issues?) and ended up getting a "rushed box" that took 2 days by UPS. I would just ask for that, and I doubt you'll be compensated in any form unless you have had 5+ repairs. I've read people with a lot of repairs either got free shit in the form of games and controllers, or a BRAND NEW console. Seems MS isn't going to give favors unless you bitch a ton and are on the 5+ streak.

Drumroll please... After only one day of playing... (I got about 45 minutes of Infinite Undiscovery in last night before bed...) IT IS NO MORE. The damn thing died after only 45 minutes of playtime YESTERDAY. You have GOT to be kidding me.... I'm 2 into a repair... 3 more and I get an oven mitt! :)

Glad I snagged a cheap Arcade at CC... :) A falcon to boot.

[quote name='Mechafenris']Drumroll please... After only one day of playing... (I got about 45 minutes of Infinite Undiscovery in last night before bed...) IT IS NO MORE. The damn thing died after only 45 minutes of playtime YESTERDAY. You have GOT to be kidding me.... I'm 2 into a repair... 3 more and I get an oven mitt! :)

Glad I snagged a cheap Arcade at CC... :) A falcon to boot.[/quote]
sorry to hear about your pain i don;t even want to know what that feels like with having your system just having come back from repair. Hopefully the new one you picked up will go the long haul. what drive did you get ben-q or lite-on with the arcade?

Seriously man, why do you guys do this? Go out and buy ANOTHER 360 when yours red rings?

If your getting it repaired for free, then wait it out. Seriously do you need your 360 fix every day that you can't live without it?

[quote name='pogipinoy27']Just curious:

My 360 RROD last week. After calling (oh and the reps aren't THAT bad) on the 5th, they said to expect an email with the label within 48 hrs. I called them back on the 7th saying I still didn't get an email with the label. They closed the order and opened up a new one and said I should get a new label within 48 hours. I called yesterday night saying I still didn't get one, and the guy assured me that I should get one by the end of the day today.

Assuming I don't get one by tonight (seems unlikely as I still don't have it), is there any way I can get some sort of compensation from MS? I'm not trying to be greedy or anything, but I think it's unreasonable for me to have waited an extra week to send my box in when this issue could've been resolved easily in the first place if they just sent me a coffin. Or, could they upgrade my box to overnight shipping both ways? At the very least, free points or something? What should I say?[/QUOTE]
You could go to the repair status page, and put in your number that they gave you to track the repair to see if they messed up on the email. That happened to me, recently.

[quote name='bubbafett4hire']sorry to hear about your pain i don;t even want to know what that feels like with having your system just having come back from repair. Hopefully the new one you picked up will go the long haul. what drive did you get ben-q or lite-on with the arcade?[/quote]

Looks like a Ben-Q from the pics I've seen. It's nice an quiet, for sure. Yeah, it does suck, but something told me to take advantage of the $200 arcade boxes for just such a contingency. I guess I was glad I did. If they keep sending me labels, I'll keep sending it in... The refurb was older than the one I sent in, which really shouldn't matter if they indeed repair them as they come in, but coincidentally, this elite ran HOT HOT HOT only after nearly an hour of playtime last night. *shrug* :)

[quote name='ITDEFX']Seriously man, why do you guys do this? Go out and buy ANOTHER 360 when yours red rings?

If your getting it repaired for free, then wait it out. Seriously do you need your 360 fix every day that you can't live without it?[/quote]

Two reasons: #1) the one they fix for most of us (including me) will be another hot-running old-style 90nm/90nm with the "new" heatsink and supposed solder joints. It still is the flawed machine, so once it fails, it'll be more likely to fail again in the same manner. And in _MY_ case... ONE LOUSY DAY. At least with a Falcon, (or now I suppose a Jasper soon) the fundamental blunder will be at bay for longer, so that the $60 games don't go to waste.

#2) Because I can. There doesn't need to be another reason. I don't clear purchases with anyone else, and I don't have to ask mum and pa for an advance on my allowance to get one because little Stevie's already got one...

Do you buy more than one pair of shoes? If so, why? You only have two feet. Xboxes (like more than 1 pair of shoes) are luxury items that have no other purpose than to entertain.... the same reason someone pays $100 for a pair of shoes that have $8 worth of material and even less labor cost (paid, not actual). It's a choice. Nothing more. Is it the wisest financial choice? No... because NO Xbox would be the wisest choice, given their craptastic quality.

Realistically, I shouldn't have given Microsoft money, rewarding their completely asinine design and shoddy console #2, but like Billy boy said... people do like the games. This has ended my commitment to Microsoft consoles for the foreseeable future. I'd rather not be burned a 3rd time.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']I had the same issue before and they tried re-sending the label to my e-mail (wtf are they using to have so many issues?) and ended up getting a "rushed box" that took 2 days by UPS. I would just ask for that, and I doubt you'll be compensated in any form unless you have had 5+ repairs. I've read people with a lot of repairs either got free shit in the form of games and controllers, or a BRAND NEW console. Seems MS isn't going to give favors unless you bitch a ton and are on the 5+ streak.[/QUOTE]

I called again tonight and spoke with a manager (although getting to them was like pulling teeth cause the first guy kept trying to handle everything himself). Apparently my HOME address is why I'm not getting the email. I tried bargaining to see if they could 2-day me a coffin, but the best that they could do was "3-5 business days".

In the end, I changed my home address and changed my email address and we're mutually hoping for the best. I wouldn't be so irritated if my 360 was a launch console or something. But mine is not even a year old (literally--manufacture date was October 7th, 2007). There's absolutely no reason it should be broken.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']You could go to the repair status page, and put in your number that they gave you to track the repair to see if they messed up on the email. That happened to me, recently.[/QUOTE]

Where do you check that info? I put in my number and it just said that my repair order was submitted.

My 360 should arrive in Mesquite Texas today. UPS was rather slow in my opinion. Dropped off on Saturday, arriving on Thursday. Slower than USPS Priority....oh well.

[quote name='Mechafenris']Two reasons: #1) the one they fix for most of us (including me) will be another hot-running old-style 90nm/90nm with the "new" heatsink and supposed solder joints. It still is the flawed machine, so once it fails, it'll be more likely to fail again in the same manner. And in _MY_ case... ONE LOUSY DAY. At least with a Falcon, (or now I suppose a Jasper soon) the fundamental blunder will be at bay for longer, so that the $60 games don't go to waste.

#2) Because I can. There doesn't need to be another reason. I don't clear purchases with anyone else, and I don't have to ask mum and pa for an advance on my allowance to get one because little Stevie's already got one...

Do you buy more than one pair of shoes? If so, why? You only have two feet. Xboxes (like more than 1 pair of shoes) are luxury items that have no other purpose than to entertain.... the same reason someone pays $100 for a pair of shoes that have $8 worth of material and even less labor cost (paid, not actual). It's a choice. Nothing more. Is it the wisest financial choice? No... because NO Xbox would be the wisest choice, given their craptastic quality.

Realistically, I shouldn't have given Microsoft money, rewarding their completely asinine design and shoddy console #2, but like Billy boy said... people do like the games. This has ended my commitment to Microsoft consoles for the foreseeable future. I'd rather not be burned a 3rd time.[/QUOTE]

It's interesting you make that shoe analogy, because a second (or third) pair of shoes drastically increases the overall lifespan of the shoe-especially leather dress shoes, but sneakers as well. Giving the shoe a day off to breath allows a great number of total uses.
Perhaps having multiple 360 also benefits the units in giving them days off.

I dunno. I feel what the other poster is saying, but I'm personally for trying to go through as much refurbs as I possibly can to punish Microsoft. I did buy the Halo 360 from HotTopic.com, but only because I could break even on the refurb or even sell it at a slight profit. No doubt 360s will be slightly cheaper and hopefully more reliable three years from now. That's what I'm hoping for, unless I can keep finding deals on new 360s and renewing my warranty for free.
BTW, is there any solid proof that laying your 360 down is healthier for the system? I laid mine down, but still RROD. It'd be more convienent for me to stand it up, especially if it makes no damn difference.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Seriously man, why do you guys do this? Go out and buy ANOTHER 360 when yours red rings?

If your getting it repaired for free, then wait it out. Seriously do you need your 360 fix every day that you can't live without it?[/QUOTE]

It's like the new DS yo. Gota have one for each kid, and if you don't have any kids... well one for each room baby :p

[quote name='vherub']It's interesting you make that shoe analogy, because a second (or third) pair of shoes drastically increases the overall lifespan of the shoe-especially leather dress shoes, but sneakers as well. Giving the shoe a day off to breath allows a great number of total uses.
Perhaps having multiple 360 also benefits the units in giving them days off.[/quote]

Good point. ;) heh. I didn't think about the implications of that analogy... I just remember growing up my pop telling the family "you've only got TWO feet! WTF are you buying MORE shoes for?" :)

Regardless, I think the chances keep going down as successive revisions to the system appear, and it couldn't hurt at the firesale prices of the Arcade systems to pick one up for a rainy (or in this case "red") day.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']
BTW, is there any solid proof that laying your 360 down is healthier for the system? I laid mine down, but still RROD. It'd be more convienent for me to stand it up, especially if it makes no damn difference.[/quote]

I don't know myself. My Elite was standing up... never moved, in a nice ventilated area... I wonder if the varying heatpipe/heatsink tinkering that MS is doing has any bearing on what position the console is? The "anonymous" rep that supposedly spilled the beans about the RRoD (floating about the web recently) claimed that standing it on end was better. With proper airflow, I'm inclined to believe that, but having my well ventilated vertical 360 hit the skids after almost a year gave me pause....

I think your option for getting the Halo bundle machine at a nice price is a good investment for the specific application you intended (and the refurb will at least be a backup, if not a resale to recoup the other console's cost), and I don't disparage comments wondering why we're still buying the consoles after a rrod... I didn't want it to come off sounding like that... it wasn't intentionally pedantic if it seems that way.

Before my elite died, I had intended on getting a Jasper next year and selling my elite at a reduced cost or using it as a spare unit if anything were to be inherently wrong with the Jaspers (of course it's too early to tell..) So in effect, the RRoD and the price drop made me move back to a Falcon for now. :) We'll see if I can keep it up and running longer :)

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']
BTW, is there any solid proof that laying your 360 down is healthier for the system? I laid mine down, but still RROD. It'd be more convienent for me to stand it up, especially if it makes no damn difference.[/quote]

there is no solid proof that laying it down helps the system but in my eyes i feel it does. The only reason why i state this is cause if you've ever really looked at you Xbox360 or looked at pictures online of its disassembly you will notice there's not much room for fresh air intake. The only 2 vented parts on the Xbox 360 other then the back fan exhaust is the 2 sides but side one has a hard drive attached to it which is also closest to the GPU which is where most of the heat is generated and the other side is open to freash air if laying down or blocked cause it's standing up. For those of you about to say the front allows air to pass through you need to take off you face plate and rethink your statement as is any air if passed through the front it not a lot if any at all. This is not saying that your Xbox will not RROD if you don't have a hard drive cause if it's going to fail.. it will but proper cooling and ventaltion will prolong it's life.

[quote name='doubledown']How long does it take for XBOX.com to update the status. My 360 was DELIVERED yesterday to Texas. Still no update on the website today....[/QUOTE]

XBOX.com was finally updated...they have my console.

Hey, I have a question. Has anyone ever sent in a pre-Falcon 360 and gotten back a Falcon 360? If so, how did that work since the power bricks between the two types of games are different?

Problem with streaming media to my refurb... Never any problems with my previous 360's now with my latest refurb my PC doesn't detect the new 360 and the 360 doesn't see my PC. Never any problems before. My 360 gets online fine also. Hmmmm any suggestions?

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Hey, I have a question. Has anyone ever sent in a pre-Falcon 360 and gotten back a Falcon 360? If so, how did that work since the power bricks between the two types of games are different?[/QUOTE]

If you never had a Falcon you won't get a Falcon as a replacement, rather a Opus which is Falcon motherboard/cooling thingy without HDMI. However, people (including myself) are still getting "Zephyrs" back unfortunately. My guess is by December everyone gets a repaired Falcon or Opus back.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']If you never had a Falcon you won't get a Falcon as a replacement, rather a Opus which is Falcon motherboard/cooling thingy without HDMI. However, people (including myself) are still getting "Zephyrs" back unfortunately. My guess is by December everyone gets a repaired Falcon or Opus back.[/QUOTE]
Aren't there HDMI 360s that aren't Falcons? I know my HDMI 360 isn't a Falcon.

EDIT: Funny story. I'm over at my brother's house a couple of days ago. He has a core which he had repaired/replacement done for him by Microsoft. He bought an Elite instead, since he didn't have a hard drive with his core. When he got the new refurb from Microsoft, he put it in his closet since he didn't really need it with his new system and all. He offers to loan it to me when he heard my 360 red ringed. I don't want to feel like a crackhead for not being able to 360 for a week or two, but since I'm over there, I figure to take it anyway. N+ had to be finished, after all. So I get some quality N+ time in last night and today and all is merry in the land of 360.

I go and turn it on tonight, and it red rings. Microsoft has to be kidding me. Well, actually, Microsoft has to be kidding all of us.

SEXY DOUBLE EDIT: MS already shipped my 360. It was at their service center two days. Insane. Just a rotating cycle of systems now.

[quote name='dfo']My May 2006 unit just RROD'd. Bummer, thought I'd landed one of the select few serviceable units MS managed to ship that first year! On the bright side I'd been getting sporadic disc read errors on pristine discs, so hopefully my replacement unit'll have a fresher DVD drive.[/QUOTE]

I have a similar situation in that I hope I get a better drive.

[quote name='retail sucks']Just got the RROD an hour ago on my Dec. 2006 Hitachi drive version. I have already sent it in once a year ago for a bad "scaler chip", Error 80 I believe. I hadn't played it in a few days days and it died 4 kills into a online game of Bad Company.

Hopefully MS will replace the unit for another with a better disc drive as I've been getting some scratched up discs lately:([/QUOTE]

My 360 has scratched up 2 copies of COD4, 2 copies of Bad Company, and a few others. I was getting ready to send it in to Overstock (2 YEAR PLAN) but while waiting for the label from them I got the RROD so I just went ahead a let MS fix it hoping I get a Ben-Q drive back.

Also, we've noticed in the past aswell my brother's 360 (Aug 07 Ben-Q - HDMI version) downloads litterally "twice" as fast as the one I sent in (Dec 08 Hitachi). Both 360's are in the same room & on the same internet connection.

WTF is the deal with that? :roll:

Again, I'm just wondering what Microsoft's plan is come Oct when launch units are no longer covered by the three year RROD. I'm hoping they extend it longer considering even some Falcons are kicking the bucket.

Maybe there plan is indeed to have everyone buy new consoles rather then spend the $100 on repairs. Even with the arcade atleast your getting a new console, cables, 5 xbla games and another wireless controller. My suspicions will come true once they release a black arcade console and don't extend the warranty again :p

Does anyone know if I'm guaranteed to get a Falcon 360 back? My power brick is 175w only so if they send me a zephyr or earlier 360, I may not be able to run the 360? Also, I'm running my 360 via HDMI so that has to be there as well -_-

[quote name='pogipinoy27']Does anyone know if I'm guaranteed to get a Falcon 360 back? My power brick is 175w only so if they send me a zephyr or earlier 360, I may not be able to run the 360? Also, I'm running my 360 via HDMI so that has to be there as well -_-[/quote]

don't quote me on this but if you have a 175 watt power brick and the new revision of board you should be ok as it will only use what is need kind of like your PC power supply. I can't see MS telling people to just send the unit back nothing else if the power brick are not in some way universal..but its also microcrap so i could be wrong

There was a guy on the xbox forums who seemed somewhat reputable that he got a Zephyr back and a new power supply unit (obviously because he previously had a Falcon) after his 9+ months old falcon died. That has GOT to suck.

[quote name='doubledown']I guess 11 Day turnaround is not THAT bad. I hope I get mine pretty quick. I already got my return label in my e-mail. I will be shipping it out (dropping off to UPS) today (9/6). Let's see how long it takes for me.

I'm almost debating on picking up a Arcade 360 for $199 with my GAMERUSH credit. Although, I don't really need two consoles. Just sucks as I had NHL 09 pre-ordered....I guess it's time to finish some PS3 games.[/QUOTE]

Well, it appears my console is shipping back to me already. I have a tracking number, but it is not shipped, just the BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED. So, I guess mine will be probably a 12-15 day turnaround. Not bad I suppose. I just hope I get a nice looking ELITE back as mine was spotless. It is 8.00 LBS also, so I'm assuming no powerbrick. Mine is 175W I believe.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']There was a guy on the xbox forums who seemed somewhat reputable that he got a Zephyr back and a new power supply unit (obviously because he previously had a Falcon) after his 9+ months old falcon died. That has GOT to suck.[/quote]

If that happens to me, I'm just going to sell my 360 and buy an arcade. I'll post when I get updates.

if i have a pre-mod system that just got the 3 rings over the weekend...think it's safe to send it in for repairs? i realize i'll prolly get a system back with a different DVD-ROM drive, but at this point, i'd just like a working box.

After days in the shipping process, my console has been in Mesquite for three business days. When would it be appropriate to check on things with a phone call?

[quote name='niceguyshawne']I would imagine things shut down because of Ike. Might take that into consideration before calling.[/quote]

Good point, Shawne.

*makes note*

I don't know if they shut down that far north (since it was the weekend... I don't know... do they process on the weekend? Mine was accepted on Sunday... so I suppose so.)

Now I wait for 2 days for them to repair/replace (repair.. heh) my console.

Well, my console shipped back...says it will arrive on SEPTEMBER 22nd! That seems like REALLY slow shipping. Billing info was received on the 14th, and shipped on the 16th. UPS just seems slow.

bread's done
Back