XBOX 360 Red Ring of Death FAQ: Soon to be known as the Red Dot of Death! :P

Checked the status this morning.

Sent 09/11/08
Delivered 09/13/08
Billing info received 09/15/08

but no delivery update status? It looks like it hasn't even been picked up yet. Oh well I can wait.

Yeah, it took TWO days from billing info received to SHIPPED. Now, it will take 6-7 days to arrive at my house. That is not acceptable in my opinion. It should be 3-day shipping at a minimum. I know when they first did this, it was next day delivery...which was GREAT.

I forgot to mention that the billing info. received also sat for two days with mine (tho I suppose that started on a Saturday, and ended on the Monday).

Either way, mine has finally left Mesquite, and hasn't checked in at the next facility yet.

So it finally died :cry:, RRoD little over a year since it was purchased. Only prior warning was freezing during gameplay for the past few days. Gonna go through the steps for replacement, so thanks for all the info, ITDEFX.

Update: So I called the number not associated with outsourcing, and was informed about their new "advanced exchange program." Basically, they're going to send me an xbox and I will send mine back in the same box. Credit card info required, and it will cost $400 if not sent back within 14 days.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='retail sucks']Just got the RROD an hour ago on my Dec. 2006 Hitachi drive version. I have already sent it in once a year ago for a bad "scaler chip", Error 80 I believe. I hadn't played it in a few days days and it died 4 kills into a online game of Bad Company.

Hopefully MS will replace the unit for another with a better disc drive as I've been getting some scratched up discs lately:([/QUOTE]

Well it's already on the way back. It's the same system.

I requested a repair on Saturday the 6th, got the label/box on Tuesday the 9th, and I dropped the 360 off at the UPS store Wednesday at 2:30pm EST, it arrived at the service center Friday at 4:44pm EST.

The shipping notification was electronically filed on Sunday the 14th. It didn't move yesterday, and it just updated as in transit today at 2:20pm EST.

Estimated arrival is Thursday the 18th

[quote name='rhymetimesfine']So it finally died :cry:, RRoD little over a year since it was purchased. Only prior warning was freezing during gameplay for the past few days. Gonna go through the steps for replacement, so thanks for all the info, ITDEFX.

Update: So I called the number not associated with outsourcing, and was informed about their new "advanced exchange program." Basically, they're going to send me an xbox and I will send mine back in the same box. Credit card info required, and it will cost $400 if not sent back within 14 days.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm...

now are you getting a brand new 360 or just a repaired/refurbed unit?

400 sounds like an Elite with a 120 gig hard drive. So wait, you send them a Red Ringed non-hdmi model with a 20 gig hard drive, give them your CC number for insurance purposes and they send you a brand new spank'n Elite with a 120 gig hard drive??!?!

Anyone want to confirm this?

[quote name='rhymetimesfine']So it finally died :cry:, RRoD little over a year since it was purchased. Only prior warning was freezing during gameplay for the past few days. Gonna go through the steps for replacement, so thanks for all the info, ITDEFX.

Update: So I called the number not associated with outsourcing, and was informed about their new "advanced exchange program." Basically, they're going to send me an xbox and I will send mine back in the same box. Credit card info required, and it will cost $400 if not sent back within 14 days.[/quote]

what number did you call?

mine just died for the second time in 22 months and it died in october last time, weather change to blame? anyways, sending me a label by email and I'll box it off to xbox repair hell and hope for the best.

[quote name='von551']mine just died for the second time in 22 months and it died in october last time, weather change to blame? anyways, sending me a label by email and I'll box it off to xbox repair hell and hope for the best.[/QUOTE]

yep, it wanted to fly down south, in this case Texas:bouncy:

[quote name='ITDEFX']

now are you getting a brand new 360 or just a repaired/refurbed unit?

[/QUOTE]

Sorry, forgot to ask. All the rep said was a "replacement".

[quote name='ITDEFX']
400 sounds like an Elite with a 120 gig hard drive. So wait, you send them a Red Ringed non-hdmi model with a 20 gig hard drive, give them your CC number for insurance purposes and they send you a brand new spank'n Elite with a 120 gig hard drive??!?!

Anyone want to confirm this?[/QUOTE]

I have the 20 gig hdmi zephyr. The $400 did sound like some corporate garbage, but if the shit hits the fan.... I don't know, that better not happen :headache:

[quote name='von551']what number did you call?[/QUOTE]

Followed the steps in the third spoiler tag from the bottom by the OP

Oy, mine's not due until Friday. :p Hope this one lasts longer than a day! :)

Funny thing is, I'm oh, 50 miles from the Service center in Mesquite. heheh.. and it still takes 3 days to get here. :p

I just got a call from UPS (automated), letting me know my package would arrive tomorrow, and that somebody would have to sign for it. I was hoping I'd get it today, because it says "Out For Delivery". But then, I am a fair distance from the UPS depo its coming from.

Well, my console just showed up!

The crappy thing is that it's a refurb, even though I was told it would be a new console. Damn thing must've been sitting at their plant for a while, since it needed a dashboard update right off the bat!

Plus, they didn't put my 1-month trial in the box...fucking Microsoft! :bomb:

The console isn't the cleanest, but it does sound much quieter on the dash than my first one ever did.

Pros:
My disc tray opens faster
Download speeds seem faster (may be my imagination)
Haven't had any lockups on the dash (yet)
A bit quieter
Private chatting is much clearer (no static!)

Don't know if I have any Cons with this one yet. Seems like it's just better built (or rebuilt).

Well, my console arrived today also, but no one was home to sign for it. The bad thing is, they did NOT leave a note on my door saying it was attempted to be delivered. I don't even know who to call now if I want to pick it up. I guess I'll just wait until tomorrow...the wife "should" be home.

[quote name='Rig']The console isn't the cleanest[/quote]
Oh snap. I hope I don't get someone's dirty ass used console. :cry:
OCD FTL

[quote name='lmz00']Oh snap. I hope I don't get someone's dirty ass used console. :cry:
OCD FTL[/quote]

It wasn't really that bad. Just a few scuffs on top. A hand-towel cleaned them off.

Thankfully, it had no smoke/other smells. I would've been mad.

[quote name='lmz00']Was yours white, or black?[/quote]

White. My first console was a couple years old, and I think the manufactured date on this one was also 2006.

I hope I get my nice ELITE console tomorrow. I am annoyed they did NOT leave me an InfoNotice on my door. Just the tracking online says Missed 1st attempt, will try for a 2nd attempt. Lame. I just read online that delivery changes have to be made before 7:00pm, so I will just have to hope they ship it tomorrow and someone is home.

I bet they forget to leave an InfoNotice because I also had something from BUY.com ship on the same day (which they left at the door).

My 360 returned to me today. It took about two weeks to complete the trip. I guess the tracker was only for the delivery to Mesquite. :whistle2:k And just a note, they did not send back my original console.

Grrrr...My console just gave me the three red lights. I'm on my third one and this is the first time the newest one has given them to me. I'm expecting to have to call 4myxbox very soon.

Got my "replacement" today. I was told by a rep that it was definitely a refurbished "updated" 360. The catch is, besides the possible $400 hold, I can't get on Live until they receive my dead 360. Ironically, that's petty.

Got my Elite back today (round #3 begins..) But this one is a 4/2008 build date. Much nicer than the 6/07 one I got that lasted a day. :)

...hope this works a bit longer. :)

UPS says that my package arrived at the repair center yesterday. Microsoft's website still says "Waiting for device at service center". Is this normal or should I call Microsoft?

Probably has already been asked before, so sorry in advance.

Yeah that exchange program seems lame. I rather just buy a Arcade at Wal-Mart and return it in 90 days with receipt once I get my old console back, which BTW is NOT fraud considering I would be giving them the same console back.

I got my ELITE back yesterday also. It was a FALCON Elite (said right on the outer box). MFG Date was 04/2008 (same as the poster above).

Seems to be working fine. Might be a bit quieter, but I'm not sure about that.

I got my original console back. I guess they repaired it. Now just to sell it on Craigslist since I got the Halo 360 from Hot Topic...
EDIT: I got the refurb sticker, underneath the faceplate area on my 360 that was repaired. Unless, they put your old serial number on the refurbs they give you? I doubt this is the case though.

Mine just shipped out today, after arriving there on the 18th. It's got a different serial number, so I gather it's not my old console. :(

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']I got my original console back. I guess they repaired it. Now just to sell it on Craigslist since I got the Halo 360 from Hot Topic...
EDIT: I got the refurb sticker, underneath the faceplate area on my 360 that was repaired. Unless, they put your old serial number on the refurbs they give you? I doubt this is the case though.[/quote]

Now I'm not sure about my console.

When I got it back, I checked for the refurb sticker, which is had. Then, I had to do a console update when I first put it on Live. (They drop you down to an older dashboard version?) So, I figured it wasn't my original console.

I checked the serial number, and it is the same as my first console. So, this may in fact be the console I sent to them. If it is, it's a little disappointing that it would come back a bit dirty, since it didn't leave that way. And why would I have needed to update the dash? They only had it at their center for a day or two, so I am surprised at the turnaround.

[quote name='Rig']Now I'm not sure about my console.

When I got it back, I checked for the refurb sticker, which is had. Then, I had to do a console update when I first put it on Live. (They drop you down to an older dashboard version?) So, I figured it wasn't my original console.

[/quote]

By chance did you catch what dash revision number was on there before you had to update it?

[quote name='bubbafett4hire']By chance did you catch what dash revision number was on there before you had to update it?[/quote]

Sadly, I did not. It seems like it was before the "turn off your console and it continues to download items" update.

But then, why would I have had to get my licenses again for my XBLA games and DLC? I would have thought getting my own console back wouldn't have changed any of that? (I had to redownload my games and such so I could play them offline.)

[quote name='KingofOldSchool']So if I send in my console for a RRoD, they do check to make sure everything is working before they send it back right?[/QUOTE]
I think they do a quick boot test and if it doesn't red ring, then it gets shipped back to you once they fix it.

[quote name='KingofOldSchool']So if I send in my console for a RRoD, they do check to make sure everything is working before they send it back right?[/quote]

i can't speak personally cause i never sent my 360 back, but with my xbox 1 i sent it back cause the network adapter had died. 2 weeks later i got it back and had DVD read errors.called microsoft to bitch about it and told them it was kinda of like takeing your car in for a tune up and having your transmisson fall off as your pulling out of the place.

after reading people saying there systems died 2 - 5 days after getting back i'd say no

I've got kind of an obvious question that I'm surprised hasn't come up (at least I haven't seen it). My 360 finally red ringed on me today. So, I submitted my repair order for my coffin, and then towel tricked my console because I really wanted to play some Rock Band 2.

But I was wondering, if it doesn't red ring again, before I receive my coffin, and send it out, will they even investigate it or just send it right back to me? I mean, we have what, 20 days after we receive the coffin to get it to Microsoft? I guess I'd just have to play the hell out of it and hope it does it again right? Or is it pretty much a given that once your system sees the RRoD, even towel tricking it won't give it very long?

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I've got kind of an obvious question that I'm surprised hasn't come up (at least I haven't seen it). My 360 finally red ringed on me today. So, I submitted my repair order for my coffin, and then towel tricked my console because I really wanted to play some Rock Band 2.

But I was wondering, if it doesn't red ring again, before I receive my coffin, and send it out, will they even investigate it or just send it right back to me? I mean, we have what, 20 days after we receive the coffin to get it to Microsoft? I guess I'd just have to play the hell out of it and hope it does it again right? Or is it pretty much a given that once your system sees the rrod, even towel tricking it won't give it very long?[/quote]

not saying that its a smart idea but if you want to make sure it rrod's when it goes in for repair towel trick again while playing it basically until it does rrod. not trying to give you a wise ass response but after reading posts on here about people sending them back and then them rroding a day or 2 later..it wouldn't hurt. and it wouldn't surprise me if they did just plug it and ok "Ok it works send it back" without really looking at them

[quote name='bubbafett4hire']not saying that its a smart idea but if you want to make sure it rrod's when it goes in for repair towel trick again while playing it basically until it does rrod. not trying to give you a wise ass response but after reading posts on here about people sending them back and then them rroding a day or 2 later..it wouldn't hurt. and it wouldn't surprise me if they did just plug it and ok "Ok it works send it back" without really looking at them[/quote]

Hey, thanks man. Not a wise ass response at all. I had actually wondered if straight up overheating would bring on the RRoD again. I know it's a bit frowned upon to try to get your system to red ring, but I also suspect that if for whatever ungodly reason, it booted up the first time M$ turned it on, they'd say "works fine!" and send it right back. In that regard, I definitely want to make sure it's good and broken when I send it in, haha.

It's just tough trying to walk that line between not having a 360 to play, and waiting on my coffin to get here. And I know I don't want to go out and buy a new one. Luckily, I still have my PS3 and Wii, but dammit, why did this happen right when the good fall games are starting to roll out?! Thanks for the advice though. I appreciate it.

[quote name='OzCatter']2 weeks after getting it back and it already RRoD'ed again, I'm quickly starting to lose faith.[/quote]

Sorry to hear that. I noticed after my one-day death console, I got a significantly newer one as my 3rd console. So, there's that going for it. (Although it's not really a restorative observation, eh?)

[quote name='OzCatter']2 weeks after getting it back and it already RRoD'ed again, I'm quickly starting to lose faith.[/QUOTE]

Try having a RROD in less then a hour/right out of repair box.
It happended to one my friends here. I would say go buy a PS3, but he already has one.

I'm just glad for my PS2/other gaming systems when it happens. I put in over 80+ hours into Persona 3 thanks to the RROD. Helps me catchup with my back log so I don't mind it is as much.

I only get pissed when I get a brand new game only to turn on to RROD, or a few days before a big game comes out... like Gears of War 2.

well, i sent my second coffin out today, almost a year to the day exactly as last time. my new elite gives me the one red eye Error 74, what a horribly built machine. when it works, it's great, but it's never smooth, pretty annoying.

Mine RR'd the first time I plugged it back in after sending it off. Very depressing...on the bright side, I'll get another month of Live for free...

bread's done
Back