XBOX 360 Red Ring of Death FAQ: Soon to be known as the Red Dot of Death! :P

Sorry about the no reasoning. Um, yes. With A, the only thing you have to do is wait. If you can wait, then it's fine. The only thing wrong with A is that you have to send it back to Microsoft, which would take like 2 weeks nowadays. However, you do get a refurbished console -- as well as a few months tacked on to your warranty.

I believe in most refurbished consoles nowadays, they upgraded the motherboard/fan so it runs better. If you have an older console, you might want to look into choosing A because of this. Granted, I guess most refurbished consoles die in their lifetime, but if you take good care of it, it'll last several months at the least.

Well called the outsourced number and will be getting the label, and probably sending it out on monday. So you have to have the reference number with the xbox, and also on the outside of the box to? Also didn't know you had to remove the faceplate. I'm not sure if I read a poster in this thread where they put the ref on paper in the box, taped the number and address on the outside or what.

Mmm

All I was told to do when I sent my console in, was to handwrite the reference number on the UPS label itself.

I left my faceplate on though, hopefully they return that or I can just buy a new one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine got the E 74 message and a single red light :(

Luckily, bought it from best buy and had the 2 year product replacement plan so when i bought it for $349, and now its only $300 and it comes with two games and a 60gb HD....id say thats a fair swap, except i lost all my saves...o well

[quote name='God of War']Mine got the E 74 message and a single red light :(

Luckily, bought it from best buy and had the 2 year product replacement plan so when i bought it for $349, and now its only $300 and it comes with two games and a 60gb HD....id say thats a fair swap, except i lost all my saves...o well[/quote]

You should have bought a $30 20gb harddrive from ebay and given it to Best Buy.

I dropped my console at the UPS store on Tuesday, November 4th and per the UPS tracking information it arrived at the repair center in Texas on Friday, November 7th.

Although, when I checked the microsoft website and tracked the repair that same day on the 7th, their website stated that they had not received it yet =(

Alright, I just got off the phone with Xbox support and I guess they are e-mailing me a shipping label to print and attach. The woman said that they don't send out coffins anymore, is this true?

Anyone know the best place to pick up a box? I know a generic one would work, but if there's a certain store once of you guys has found that has a perfect sized one, I'd like to know. Should I surround it in packing peanuts or anything?

[quote name='lolwut?']Alright, I just got off the phone with Xbox support and I guess they are e-mailing me a shipping label to print and attach. The woman said that they don't send out coffins anymore, is this true?

Anyone know the best place to pick up a box? I know a generic one would work, but if there's a certain store once of you guys has found that has a perfect sized one, I'd like to know. Should I surround it in packing peanuts or anything?[/quote]

Bring it to a UPS store, I'm sure they get enough of them that they can hook you up with a proper box and all.

They still send you a box. When you request a shipping label via email, they will also send you a box. So, first you get a shipping label via email and then the box a few days later if you didn't send it yet.

Trublustang, thanks for that information. If you can, please tell me when the xbox.com site says the console is received. I didn't bother grabbing a receipt or writing down tracking number for my 360, so if it gets lost, I'm pretty much screwed. Bad mistake on my part.

[quote name='Chronotrigga']They still send you a box. When you request a shipping label via email, they will also send you a box. So, first you get a shipping label via email and then the box a few days later if you didn't send it yet.[/quote]

So basically the lady just lied to me to try to save them a box

If you can, go to a Pathmark or a BJs, they should usually have a ton of boxes laying around that they will let you take. I am sure you could find a reasonable sized box. You should pack your console in bubble wrap. If all else fails stuff the box with as much old newspapers as you can, to act as cushion and protect the console.

[quote name='lolwut?']So basically the lady just lied to me to try to save them a box[/quote]

Well, whenever I called in requesting a shipping label via e-mail (this was at like 7PM and got transfered to India or somewhere), the guy I got told me not to send it in the original box. I said that I had a previous coffin that was unused and if I could send it out with that. He was confused and he wanted to know what was on the box. I told him it was the all-white box that Microsoft uses to retrieve broken 360 consoles. He was still confused and just said no don't use original box because it might get stolen and he told me to get my own box. I just said ok, he made a shipping request, and then I hung up.

2-3 days later I get a white box (360 coffin) containing shipping label, etc.. and I put it in there.

Interesting Chrono

I've been gone since friday and I called during the morning to get a label via the email, and I've just gotten home. Maybe tomorrow or tuesday a box will show up :/.

Has the xbox.com thing changed for you? It's sunday now and my status is still "waiting for console". I'll probably try and call UPS tommorow to see what's up.

The status on xbox.com for my console still says waiting for console to arrive. As I noted previously though, per UPS, they have already delivered it and it was signed for. I'll have to check tomorrow night.

[quote name='Chronotrigga']Has the xbox.com thing changed for you? It's sunday now and my status is still "waiting for console". I'll probably try and call UPS tommorow to see what's up.[/quote]

Well I haven't sent it in, because I called and than left on a two day trip. So it's just in "waiting for console" phase right now. Going to ship it out tomorrow, but with what you were saying with you getting a box I might get one tomorrow or tuesday.

Ohh, I thought you sent it in. I called in like Saturday and got the box on Tuesday and I shipped it out at around 5PM that day (one of my friends works for UPS so he said the delivery person picks it up at around 5:30PM). It's Sunday now.. almost been a full week, and still hasn't arrived at the center.

Well i'm back, got a pro 360 when gears 1 was originally released, it rrod so got it replaced. the new one started having problems so i traded it in for a elite when it came out. My elite RROD'ed last year the month rock band mass effect and CoD4 all came out =(. So this is my 4th 360 (2nd elite).

It freezes and pixalates while playing, and gives me the RROD every now and then. Oh well once you get use to the routine it just becomes part of owning this system -_-

Alright. So it's monday and xbox.com still says console yet to be receieved. I sent it out on Tuesday (November 4th), so it's been almost a good WEEK. I'm going to declare my 360 as lost in transition; most likely a UPS employee stole it. I have no receipt, no tracking number, nothing. This fucking sucks. Welp, I'm out a good $200. fuck UPS.

I think my 360 hates me

Whenever I turn on my Xbox when I have no one else in the room, I usually have to turn it on/off about 3 times before it connects to my TV (The green light in the middle turns on, and that's it). It won't even connect to my 2 other TVs. However, whenever my friends come over it works, and my friends call me paranoid for saying it doesn't work. I got it in July, and I think i've gotten 1 red light about 2-3 times (not in the past month though). It has adequate breathing room (not enclosed, 6in from walls and tv), so I assume it's just an old console, so what should I do?

What do you reccommend I do? Should I wait til' the problem gets signifigantly worse and use Wombat's Method to get a new 360, or should I try something else?

Well I sent my console on Tuesday, November 4th. I just checked xbox.com, now it states that the console was received and it is being repaired, let's see how long it takes for the repair to be done.

[quote name='trublustang03']Well I sent my console on Tuesday, November 4th. I just checked xbox.com, now it states that the console was received and it is being repaired, let's see how long it takes for the repair to be done.[/quote]

Yes! Thank you! I checked xbox.com and my console is being repaired. Wow, I barely lucked out. Didn't bother writing down tracking number and didn't get a receipt. If my 360 got stolen via UPS, then I'd be totally screwed. Nice. Hm.. lesson learned!

Yeah, you always gotta keep tracking numbers.

Good luck to you, hope you get your console back soon. Looks like your console and mine are neck and neck for being repaired.

[quote name='DaftPunkFan37']I think my 360 hates me

Whenever I turn on my Xbox when I have no one else in the room, I usually have to turn it on/off about 3 times before it connects to my TV (The green light in the middle turns on, and that's it). It won't even connect to my 2 other TVs. However, whenever my friends come over it works, and my friends call me paranoid for saying it doesn't work. I got it in July, and I think i've gotten 1 red light about 2-3 times (not in the past month though). It has adequate breathing room (not enclosed, 6in from walls and tv), so I assume it's just an old console, so what should I do?

What do you reccommend I do? Should I wait til' the problem gets signifigantly worse and use Wombat's Method to get a new 360, or should I try something else?[/quote]

Play it regularly I suppose, it'll RROD soon enough.

Had my xbox shipped out today from my ups store, so I'll just have to check tracking and the xbox site to see how it goes. For now I just have to forget about it for this week.

Probably for you two Trub and Chrono you should get it by this week or at least next.

Yes, UPS will deliver my repaired Xbox on Thursday.

Summary:
10/24: Got RROD, ordered a coffin from the website
10/29: Received coffin, I live in Maryland
10/30: Coffin sent back
11/04: Xbox delivered to the TX repair facility (UPS tracking)
11/07: Xbox.com repair website updates & shows that my console has been received
11/07: Console repaired
11/10: Console shipped
11/13: In transit, UPS will deliver this Thursday

*sigh*

My late 2005-manufactured 360 is starting to die. Twice now I've turned it on with the controller only to receive the RROD. Each time I turned it back off via my remote control and turned it back on only to have it work normally. Any estimates about how long I have until it dies completely?

[quote name='DarthPuma']So what's going to happen to us launcher's? If we red ring after the 22nd are we just fucked?[/QUOTE]

This seems to be the case unless MS decides to announce something within the next 11 days.
I think It's MS's plan to either get you to shell out $100 many times or buy a Arcade unit at $199.

Here is my current status:

11/04 - Shipped console via UPS
11/07 - Received by Microsoft (per UPS)
11/10 - X-box.com stated package was received and console was being repaired
11/11 - X-box.com stated repair was complete and console is being prepared for shipment

Yay!

are they doing what wombat said on cagcast where they dont even check your system really and just send you out a new one asap?

My 360 has been getting the RRoD every now and then, but always freezes and locks up after a few minutes. Sometimes it throws the rings sometimes it just turns back on only to freeze again in a few moments. Just afraid they will want to charge me since my 360 is out of the 1year warrenty period.

[quote name='dacool561']are they doing what wombat said on cagcast where they dont even check your system really and just send you out a new one asap?

My 360 has been getting the RRoD every now and then, but always freezes and locks up after a few minutes. Sometimes it throws the rings sometimes it just turns back on only to freeze again in a few moments. Just afraid they will want to charge me since my 360 is out of the 1year warrenty period.[/quote]

I'll let you know when I get mine. My refurbished 360 console didn't have the RROD when I sent it back. There was really no problem with it, besides the disc drive making a very high-pitched ear hurting beep. It was most likely do to shipping damage whenever Microsoft sent me the console 2-3 months ago.

Anyhow, apparently the repair was completed, but the new console I was given in my email doesn't have a serial number. Who knows lol.

Well that was fucking ridiculous. I dunno if they do actually send you a box after a couple days, but if they don't, you should call MS Support again and complain. It cost me $15.82 just for them to put it in a fucking box. The lady said "we get these a lot" but didn't even know you have to write the reference # on the box. :roll:

[quote name='lolwut?']Well that was fucking ridiculous. I dunno if they do actually send you a box after a couple days, but if they don't, you should call MS Support again and complain. It cost me $15.82 just for them to put it in a fucking box. The lady said "we get these a lot" but didn't even know you have to write the reference # on the box. :roll:[/quote]

Wow that's quite a bit money for a box, mine was just $9.75. At least I put the reference number on my xbox, but sadly not on the shipping box >_< meh.

How long does it take for the e-mail with the shipping label to come??? It has been a whole day and still no e-mail, I'm starting to think the guy never sent me an e-mail :bomb:

My launch era 360 just bit the dust for the 2nd time. Spent all day yesterday playing Fallout 3. Turned it on this morning and the RRoD awaited me. Fortunately I'm still just barely covered by the 3 year extension but I've been considering an upgrade anyway so I picked up an elite today rather than wait for repairs. I'm still getting the old one fixed but going to sell it to a roommate if she's interested and at least recoup some of the cost of the elite. If not I guess I'll leave it at my parents house for when I visit.

[quote name='lolwut?']Well that was fucking ridiculous. I dunno if they do actually send you a box after a couple days, but if they don't, you should call MS Support again and complain. It cost me $15.82 just for them to put it in a fucking box. The lady said "we get these a lot" but didn't even know you have to write the reference # on the box. :roll:[/quote]

Huh? I just followed the steps online and printed out the shipping label and sent my 360 to them. After requesting a shipping label ( i had a coffin from before) I only got an email from UPS with a link to print it out. No reference number or instructions. It never said to put any type of reference number inside =/. I don't even see anywhere on the xbox site that tells me a reference number. maybe it's on the shipping label? Now you have me worried about this =p

I wrote my reference number on the actual UPS label. This is what I was told by the rep on the phone. Also, to those paying for a box, if you can get to a pathmark, walmart or any other of that type of store, they usually have a bunch of boxes that they usually throw out. I myself got a box from BJs, they stack them by the exit and you are free to take one.

[quote name='dbrook426']How long does it take for the e-mail with the shipping label to come??? It has been a whole day and still no e-mail, I'm starting to think the guy never sent me an e-mail :bomb:[/quote]

like 2 hours.

[quote name='dacool561']Huh? I just followed the steps online and printed out the shipping label and sent my 360 to them. After requesting a shipping label ( i had a coffin from before) I only got an email from UPS with a link to print it out. No reference number or instructions. It never said to put any type of reference number inside =/. I don't even see anywhere on the xbox site that tells me a reference number. maybe it's on the shipping label? Now you have me worried about this =p[/quote]

Xbox Support lady said attach shipping label and an additional one with your reference number and your return address.

i never called them. I just went online and did it that way. Requested a repair, printed a shipping label, shipped it out. That's all i was told =/. Guess i'll call them and double check and make sure everything will be ok.

YES! The warranty on my xbox.com is now to 2/8/2009. This means they definitely fixed it. Yay, now I won't have any more headaches after I play due to that annoying sound..

about 1 week after I got my repaired RROD console the DVD drive was making a lot of noise. so much that i would have to shut the thing down and turn it back on. something was vibrating inside causing the console to be extremely annoying. so playing fallout 3 I was in the middle of talking w/ someone and it was getting really bad so i eject the disk to get the dvd drive to shut up and I would play some XBLA. I get a bunch of loud noises. Clearly the disk is bouncing around in there. drive opens and the bottom of my fallout 3 disk is a circular scratch.

being pissed off and worried the my 60$ game is ruined i boot up the game and everything seems fine. walk to the chick i was talking to and talk...I get the "clean the disk error"

I been a happy xbox owner for 18-20months. Oct and Nov I can't say I really enjoy them very much. such bullshit. gonna call support...grrr...

edit: best thing they can do is send my console back for repairs(but i still need to call back in 4 hours) And my disk isn't covered so they say to call gamestop to get it resurfaced....which gamestop doesnt do. Such crap. It looks pretty bad...anyone know if it can be fixed?

diskscratch.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
from xbox-scene

A trusted source working as a customer service rep for Microsoft has revealed that there will be some bad drama when the Xbox 360's Fall update hits on November 19th. He says the update could bring the dreaded "three red lights of death" issue roaring back to life.

The rep said that there has always been an influx of calls from owners of bricked Xbox 360s after every major Xbox 360 software update. Most of the complaints come from owners of launch consoles.

"The slick move by Microsoft here is that it's releasing the update on the 19th, just a couple of days after the extended warranty period for launch Xbox 360s end. The owners of these units are headed for some pretty tense times in the weeks to come,"" he said.

bread's done
Back