XBOX 360 Red Ring of Death FAQ: Soon to be known as the Red Dot of Death! :P

^^^ Ouch. Good luck launch owners...

[quote name='dacool561']i never called them. I just went online and did it that way. Requested a repair, printed a shipping label, shipped it out. That's all i was told =/. Guess i'll call them and double check and make sure everything will be ok.[/quote]

Online is probably different. Unless they give you a reference number I wouldn't fret. I think those are just so they can make sure their outsourced employees didn't fuck anything up.

[quote name='dacool561']are they doing what wombat said on cagcast where they dont even check your system really and just send you out a new one asap?

My 360 has been getting the RRoD every now and then, but always freezes and locks up after a few minutes. Sometimes it throws the rings sometimes it just turns back on only to freeze again in a few moments. Just afraid they will want to charge me since my 360 is out of the 1year warrenty period.[/quote]
No they don't check. Mine was getting the "one red ring" randomly and they just repaired and sent it back out. If you call the 866 number after getting your initial number they'll send out your repair via FedEx and not UPS which was WAY faster. My console was repaired and returned in less than a week.

[quote name='Nobi-Wan']No they don't check. Mine was getting the "one red ring" randomly and they just repaired and sent it back out. If you call the 866 number after getting your initial number they'll send out your repair via FedEx and not UPS which was WAY faster. My console was repaired and returned in less than a week.[/quote]

Wait, if you call the 866 number after getting your initial number? What's that about?

i dunno if you should be super worried, but i'd call them and hopefully they can fix it on their side.

As for my xbox i sent in without a reference number because i solely did everything online and never got a number, after talking to them they said it would be ok and give me a reference number. Said they would scan the serial and check in their system when if there was no reference number on the box or inlucded inside.

[quote name='Chronotrigga']Wait, if you call the 866 number after getting your initial number? What's that about?[/quote]

Read the FAQ bro...

[quote name='ITDEFX']Is there any way to get better support other than the outsourcing call center? 6/18/08
Yes, however you will need to call the outsourcing number (1800-4my-xbox) tell them your problem, get the reference number, end the call (nicely, DO NOT HANG UP ON THE PERSON!) wait about 10-15 minutes, then call 866-506-3826 and give them your reference number. Be very polite when talking with them and do NOT made demands for an HDMI unit or better unit. Best thing you can get out of them is overnight shipping and priority repair so you might get it back in less than 1 business week.

Thanks to JJSP and the Consumerist for the information.
[/quote]

[quote name='Chronotrigga']Wait, if you call the 866 number after getting your initial number? What's that about?[/quote]
It's in the FAQ. Get your RMA number from the regular 18004MYXBOX agent. Wait about 15min or so (I waited an hour) and call the 866 number from the FAQ. Got a FedEx box super quick and they return it the same way. I got my 360 back the same day Gears 2 was having the midnight launch.

Welp, my coffin is on its way. I don't think I'm going to bother with the 866 number. As much as I'm suffering from Fallout 3 withdrawal, I have tons of school work and a backlog of other games/systems to get me through. I realize it isn't supposed to happen but here's hoping I magically get an HDMI system back.

2 weeks ago my system start getting disc error when playing but after reset it worked fine............
Last friday after a few minute playing Gears of war 2 my 1 year old console crashed and then RROD.... first i was in denial, next day i was in rage but i do the towel trick and rigth now is working great.........waiting for the day it dies again....hope god have mercy on me......

[quote name='YONKE']2 weeks ago my system start getting disc error when playing but after reset it worked fine............
Last friday after a few minute playing Gears of war 2 my 1 year old console crashed and then RROD.... first i was in denial, next day i was in rage but i do the towel trick and rigth now is working great.........waiting for the day it dies again....hope god have mercy on me......[/quote]

Serious that towel trick will just give it a few days or longer for you . Just that you should start getting ready for sending in.

i want to commit suicide right now. So tonight, i turn it on and lo and behold i've got the red ring of death. This is my 4th time getting it!!!! I'm not getting off the phone with them until the say they wil ship me a new 360. (i'm on hold of course =(...)

>_< These damn machines, but all you can do is just get the reference number and give that 866 number a call and see if you can get the hook up.

[quote name='dsingh2007']Yes, UPS will deliver my repaired Xbox on Thursday.

Summary:
10/24: Got RROD, ordered a coffin from the website
10/29: Received coffin, I live in Maryland
10/30: Coffin sent back
11/04: Xbox delivered to the TX repair facility (UPS tracking)
11/07: Xbox.com repair website updates & shows that my console has been received
11/07: Console repaired
11/10: Console shipped
11/13: In transit, UPS will deliver this Thursday[/quote]

Awesome, I got my xbox this morning. :applause:

[quote name='dsingh2007']Awesome, I got my xbox this morning. :applause:[/quote]

Grats! I think I'll get mine tommorow. They emailed me saying my console got shipped back, but they didn't get me a tracking number, so, yeah.

They didn't send me a confirmation e-mail stating the console was getting shipped back to me or a tracking number. I had to call them and they finally gave me a UPS tracking number, per UPS my console is getting delivered on November 18th.

Friggin piece of shit froze everytime I tried to play Fallout 3 tonight. Its been getting worse over the last couple weeks. My gosh these things made so shitty. Oh well my third coffin will be ordered soon.

Checked how my xbox was doing on the xbox website, and it's pretty much in the repair process phase for about a day now. They received it yesterday morning, so shouldn't be to long now. Hopefully I'll have it back before the 19th, but if not than it's all good.

Well it finally happened. My 360 kept freezing up on me then gave me three red lights. Tried again this morning and it froze up again then the
red lights. Now it wont even boot up anymore. It's dead. Dammit. I've had it since Sept. 2006 with no problems. It was good run while it lasted.
I'll miss you lil' buddy.

Now to go play the waiting game for my coffin. Oh well, Blizzard just sent me an email to come back and check out the Burning Crusade free for 10 days.
That should keep me a little occupied.

Now where's my RRoD hat?

Add me to the growing list of possible RRoD owners...

I got an X360 in a trade and it worked fine for a while, but now it's constantly freezing during loading screens or presenting weird graphical glitches when I play Dead or Alive , Naruto, or Orange Box, to the point where the games are unplayable. Standing the console horizontally or vertically doesn't seem to affect this.

I think my console may fail soon, and this is a launch console with a 20 gb HD. I should research this matter of getting a coffin soon.

I was wondering if anyone can help me with my problem.

I first got my RRoD around August 07'. I sent it in and got it back on Oct 07' (my system was replaced if that helps). Anyways I didn't have any issues with it until recently. I started to notice that my 360 would turn on by itself for no apparent reason. I made sure that there wasn't anything that may accidently turn it on but I couldn't find anything that'll make that happen. There isn't a pattern either, it sort of turns itself on randomly; but it happens a lot so I know its the system (either that or theres a ghost that likes to play pranks on me :bomb:).

I also noticed that theres a horizontal "line" that would start at the top of my TV screen and slowly go down to the bottom and repeat. I see it whenever I play games, but not when I watch my DVDs or my HD-DVDs. I also know it's not my TV either because whenever I watch cable or play my PS3, there aren't any unusual lines like I have with my 360. I've notice this around Dec 07'.

Other than those two problems, everything works normally. Any ideas? Much thanks in advance.

[quote name='Interstella 5555']I was wondering if anyone can help me with my problem.

I first got my RRoD around August 07'. I sent it in and got it back on Oct 07' (my system was replaced if that helps). Anyways I didn't have any issues with it until recently. I started to notice that my 360 would turn on by itself for no apparent reason. I made sure that there wasn't anything that may accidently turn it on but I couldn't find anything that'll make that happen. There isn't a pattern either, it sort of turns itself on randomly; but it happens a lot so I know its the system (either that or theres a ghost that likes to play pranks on me :bomb:).

I also noticed that theres a horizontal "line" that would start at the top of my TV screen and slowly go down to the bottom and repeat. I see it whenever I play games, but not when I watch my DVDs or my HD-DVDs. I also know it's not my TV either because whenever I watch cable or play my PS3, there aren't any unusual lines like I have with my 360. I've notice this around Dec 07'.

Other than those two problems, everything works normally. Any ideas? Much thanks in advance.
[/quote]

BTW, mind posting a few pictures of what this looks like using a digital camera (try not to flash your screen if possible)?

[quote name='ITDEFX']Sounds like your GPU is about to go bad.[/quote]

I'm was afraid it might've been something like that. I'll give them a call and see what I can do. I hope I'm still under warranty because I remember when I first got my RRoD I reported that my system couldn't read any disk. It's until I got a little more information that I noticed I got the same problems as everyone else.

[quote name='ITDEFX']BTW, mind posting a few pictures of what this looks like using a digital camera (try not to flash your screen if possible)?[/quote]

Sure thing, I hope you don't mind but this is the best picture I can get. Even though it was noticeable to the naked eye, having to get it on camera was challenging. I also had to get up real close to the TV to capture it. But this thing is really annoying, especially when your playing a game for more than 30 minutes :bomb:. I used my Halo 3 game so that you could see it better.

CIMG2043.jpg

CIMG2040.jpg

I can post a video too if you guys want. Thanks again!

ITDEFX, nice FAQ. I do have one suggestion, though. In the "What is the next step" section, you mention calling Microsoft. For those that don't want to deal with the automated system, there is a way to do this online. (Maybe you'd want to use some of this in the FAQ; I didn't see it in there, and I wasn't quite willing to scan the intervening 65 pages of posts to check if someone else had mentioned this, so apologies if this is duplicated.)

1. Go to www.xbox.com/support.
2. Select the system you have (Xbox 360 or just Xbox).
3. In the left navigator, go to Console Management > Repair Your Console.
4. You'll be prompted for your Windows Live ID Sign In. (You should've needed one of these to sign up for Xbox Live.)
5. You might need to update your customer information. You will need to do this if you haven't registered your Xbox before, or if any information (e.g. address) has changed. This is done easily through the "Update Customer Information" button. (If you got your Xbox from a friend like I did, you may get a message saying that the Xbox registration information is wrong, or something like that. If you do, don't panic. Click on the Update Customer Information for that console again, and you can change it to your name/address/etc.)
6. You can also view your warranty status here by clicking on the "Check Warranty Status" link. (That way there aren't any surprises ... although you would find out with the pricing in a few steps...) It also gives you Warranty Start date, which you can use to calculate the 3-year RROD warranty if you want to do so.
7. Click on the request repairs button next to the console you want repaired. (I can't confirm this name exactly because my console is out for repair, but it's something along these lines; when the console's out for repair, this button is replaced with a Check Repair Status button.)
8. There's a drop-down list where you can select the problem you're having. It will pull in the pricing information, which is handy. (My console was out-of-warranty, but RROD was still covered; hence, the 3 Red Lights was $0.00, but any other repairs were listed as $94.00.)
9. Select whether you want to request that Microsoft sends you a box ("coffin") or you just want to print out the label yourself. (I believe it's mentioned elsewhere in this forum that the latter is faster, since you don't need to wait for the box to arrive.)
10. You'll get an e-mail that either (A) contains a link to the label you'll need to print, as well as the other UPS information, or (B) will give additional information about the delivery status of your box. (I can't confirm (B), as I went with choice (A).) It may take a few hours to get the e-mail if you requested a label.

There you are! No interaction with Microsoft's telephone system! (And no "suggestions" on fixing your system, wasting minutes while on hold, or people with foreign accents.)

EDIT: Oh yeah, and hey, I'm OnyxAvenger, first RROD. Woo. (Stupid Microsoft. I wanna play RB2 ...)

So, I decided to call xbox support a few minutes ago to see what happened with my 360 and when I would get it back. The agent that answered, she spoke fluent english and was just awesome. I wish my service was like this all the time. Turns out I am receiving a different console, but obviously still refurbished. Woo! This means my disc drive problem is definitely fixed.

[quote name='ITDEFX']You either get a badge or a sticker...but no hat.[/quote]

Aww...I wanted a hat. I guess I'll take a sticker, but it better be shiny. :D

[quote name='Interstella 5555']
Sure thing, I hope you don't mind but this is the best picture I can get. Even though it was noticeable to the naked eye, having to get it on camera was challenging. I also had to get up real close to the TV to capture it. But this thing is really annoying, especially when your playing a game for more than 30 minutes :bomb:. I used my Halo 3 game so that you could see it better.

I can post a video too if you guys want. Thanks again![/quote]

That actually looks like a hum bar. Has something to do with interference with the AC power. I used to get hum bars but when
I rearranged my living room and used different outlets and setup they went away. I'm no expert so I don't know for sure if that's
what you have but it's a possibility.

That actually looks like a hum bar. Has something to do with interference with the AC power. I used to get hum bars but when
I rearranged my living room and used different outlets and setup they went away. I'm no expert so I don't know for sure if that's
what you have but it's a possibility.

That's some great information for me, glad to finally know that there's a name for it lol. I'll rearrange my 360 and see if that helps getting rid of the hum bar.

[quote name='DualDisorder']Aww...I wanted a hat. I guess I'll take a sticker, but it better be shiny. :D
[/quote]

doh!

[quote name='OnyxAvenger']ITDEFX, nice FAQ. I do have one suggestion, though. In the "What is the next step" section, you mention calling Microsoft. For those that don't want to deal with the automated system, there is a way to do this online. (Maybe you'd want to use some of this in the FAQ; I didn't see it in there, and I wasn't quite willing to scan the intervening 65 pages of posts to check if someone else had mentioned this, so apologies if this is duplicated.)

1. Go to www.xbox.com/support.
2. Select the system you have (Xbox 360 or just Xbox).
3. In the left navigator, go to Console Management > Repair Your Console.
4. You'll be prompted for your Windows Live ID Sign In. (You should've needed one of these to sign up for Xbox Live.)
5. You might need to update your customer information. You will need to do this if you haven't registered your Xbox before, or if any information (e.g. address) has changed. This is done easily through the "Update Customer Information" button. (If you got your Xbox from a friend like I did, you may get a message saying that the Xbox registration information is wrong, or something like that. If you do, don't panic. Click on the Update Customer Information for that console again, and you can change it to your name/address/etc.)
6. You can also view your warranty status here by clicking on the "Check Warranty Status" link. (That way there aren't any surprises ... although you would find out with the pricing in a few steps...) It also gives you Warranty Start date, which you can use to calculate the 3-year RROD warranty if you want to do so.
7. Click on the request repairs button next to the console you want repaired. (I can't confirm this name exactly because my console is out for repair, but it's something along these lines; when the console's out for repair, this button is replaced with a Check Repair Status button.)
8. There's a drop-down list where you can select the problem you're having. It will pull in the pricing information, which is handy. (My console was out-of-warranty, but RROD was still covered; hence, the 3 Red Lights was $0.00, but any other repairs were listed as $94.00.)
9. Select whether you want to request that Microsoft sends you a box ("coffin") or you just want to print out the label yourself. (I believe it's mentioned elsewhere in this forum that the latter is faster, since you don't need to wait for the box to arrive.)
10. You'll get an e-mail that either (A) contains a link to the label you'll need to print, as well as the other UPS information, or (B) will give additional information about the delivery status of your box. (I can't confirm (B), as I went with choice (A).) It may take a few hours to get the e-mail if you requested a label.

There you are! No interaction with Microsoft's telephone system! (And no "suggestions" on fixing your system, wasting minutes while on hold, or people with foreign accents.)

EDIT: Oh yeah, and hey, I'm OnyxAvenger, first RROD. Woo. (Stupid Microsoft. I wanna play RB2 ...)[/quote]

Thanks man, I WILL POST this in the next FAQ update...which could be this weekend, which also could mean 3 months from now :(

[quote name='Interstella 5555']I'm was afraid it might've been something like that. I'll give them a call and see what I can do. I hope I'm still under warranty because I remember when I first got my RRoD I reported that my system couldn't read any disk. It's until I got a little more information that I noticed I got the same problems as everyone else.

CIMG2043.jpg

CIMG2040.jpg

Ok, I can't tell but is this from your LCD? Try having a movie playing so you can point this out. Use photoshop or paint to highlight the affected area.
Thanks mang! Post videos if you can!

Well I just receieved a E73 error message for system #3 to be sent back to MS. I am seriously starting to get annoyed with this since this was my 360 Elite that I bought only a couple of months before the price dropped. This one didn't even last as long as my original pro which only had a couple of weeks left on its 1 year warranty when that one died. This one laster me about 6 to 7 months and I paid a lot more for this one.

What is really bothering me is that I went to register this console on the support site and even though it says: "Register a Console - The registered consoles that are associated with your Windows Live ID are listed below. You can register as many consoles as you want," there is no option to add an additional console or remove the old one that I sold to my brother really cheap.

So i sent my console in liek 2 weeks ago. Then last thursday the old serial number console disappeared and a new one popped up. I re registered my old one to see the status, and its been on repair complete preparing to ship since thursday. So frustrating as I have had gears 2 sitting on my desk for over a week now being used as a coaster.

I've been playing fallout 3 alot, and my 360 froze up 3 times.
I had to turn it off then back on to play every time.
Also It makes a weird sound when i turn it off.
Am I gonna get red rings soon?

[quote name='Nathan_Sama']I've been playing fallout 3 alot, and my 360 froze up 3 times.
I had to turn it off then back on to play every time.
Also It makes a weird sound when i turn it off.
Am I gonna get red rings soon?[/quote]

Yep... I am worried about my 360 dying as well...since I started playing Gears of War 1 the other day.

[quote name='dacool561']has anyone been able to check their status online? Everytime i try to login and see it autologs me out and kicks me to the xbox homepage[/QUOTE]

i was unable to sign in at all, i had to call this morning to get the label to send my console in now. it is kicking everyone out right now and apparently their customer service reps don't know this either, they asked why i didn't do it online.

The site is just acting up, I went to go check out my status and now it's saying that I have no xbox in repair!! So hopefully it's just the massive downloading and what not from the NXE.

Man this blows. I just updated NXE, made my avatar, put in my new year of live, and started gears 2, then 30 seconds later RROD!

The console locked up and the screen froze with a bunch of green lines making diamond shapes. Turned it off and on and it was nothing but blackness and mocking read lights.

This is my first RROD. I had no freeze ups or anything. NO WARNING.

I guess I will go play Resistance 2 now.

[quote name='Interstella 5555']I'm was afraid it might've been something like that. I'll give them a call and see what I can do. I hope I'm still under warranty because I remember when I first got my RRoD I reported that my system couldn't read any disk. It's until I got a little more information that I noticed I got the same problems as everyone else.

CIMG2043.jpg

CIMG2040.jpg

Those lines in the first picture is the same thing that happened to me except with gears in the background instead of blue.

[quote name='blucadet3']Man this blows. I just updated NXE, made my avatar, put in my new year of live, and started gears 2, then 30 seconds later RROD!

The console locked up and the screen froze with a bunch of green lines making diamond shapes. Turned it off and on and it was nothing but blackness and mocking read lights.

This is my first RROD. I had no freeze ups or anything. NO WARNING.

I guess I will go play Resistance 2 now.[/QUOTE]

i had no green lines but i had red squares while i was playing Mk vs DC.

Im pretty happy right now. it was going to hit nearly 3 years for the system but it was due to happen. knock on wood i got to play it this long.

Time of Death:Nov, 21 2008 1:35 PM EST

well i guess its time to start on the PS2 backlog starting with Odin Sphere.

I bought my new 360 Arcade 4 days ago, and I've already got a Red Ring, 3 flashing lights. I waited a while, and it started to work normally. Should I wait and see or should I return it to Circuit City as fast as possible?

[quote name='rickdom']I bought my new 360 Arcade 4 days ago, and I've already got a Red Ring, 3 flashing lights. I waited a while, and it started to work normally. Should I wait and see or should I return it to Circuit City as fast as possible?[/QUOTE]

are you sure it was 3 red lights and not 4? 4 is just the av plug being loose which would explain it working normal after. if you are positive it was 3 red lights, take it back as soon as you can, there is no excuse to having a console for 4 days and it doing that already, if you wait things will just get worse.

Alright than your lucky you got it so fast to now you can just go back and get another one. Hopefully better too...

Well just found out talking with the my xbox people, and than being switched over to a supervisor who was american *gasp* My xbox was shipped out or in transit to me, but since I lost my info on it's status it's basically a refurbished unit. The sad part is there is no track number to the package, dumb founded him, but he set it up where an agent will call me and email me tomorrow on the status and to locate where my shipped xbox is now.

Hopefully I can at least get a unit that was made recently...or this year.

Mine's in transit back, apparently, and has been for a day or two now. I haven't gotten a tracking number either ... they normally give those out, right? I keep logging into the website to see the status (still in transit to IL, which makes sense, since it was last updated at 1 am this morning and it's coming for TX), but it really would be easier if if I could just log into UPS and track it or something.

bread's done
Back