XBOX 360 Red Ring of Death FAQ: Soon to be known as the Red Dot of Death! :P

I just called them up, told them I had an elite and just got a pro, but sold my elite and kept the HD so I needed a kit to transfer my stuff and they sent it without questions. I did have an elite registered with my account once though, so maybe they saw that and knew it was true or maybe they didn't care. I got mine in about 3 buisness days though.
You can try that...just tell them you sold your elite system but kept the HD and just bought a new one and give them that serial and see what they do. Give it a couple of tries if the first few people don't help you.

You should think about just doing what Ice2Dragon said. You're still getting a new 360, the hard drive is just an add-on.

I have my first 360 (purchased around 7/2007) boxed up and ready to be shipped to Texas. Here I am with a nice snow day for myself, but no 360 to play.

[quote name='rickonker']You should think about just doing what Ice2Dragon said. You're still getting a new 360, the hard drive is just an add-on.[/QUOTE]

I agree. The RROD problem has nothing to do with the HDD. Why waste the time and effort to transferring everything if that's not the problem?

got mine back from Repair, its quieter now, but it seems to run hotter than before, and occasionally the video is jumpy (Similair to lagging on Live) I have a feeling I will be sending it back very soon, before my 90 days is up.

Well nvm, i went to a best buy yesterday in which they told me i couldnt keep my old HD. So, i went to another best buy and they said the same thing BUT they could transfer it IN-STORE for 40 bucks. I didnt have the money at the time so i asked em because i spent 349.99 on the console at the time and its price dropped down to 299 if i could use that extra 50 bucks towards the transfer. They said yes but my warranty wouldnt move over to the new console and id have 30 days to buy it back.

I think this was an extreme bargain because not only did i get to keep all my stuff on a new HD but i also got the newest model AND 2 free games. I can easily buy back my warranty. Just thought id tell this story so other people with BestBuy warranties would know there are some bestbuys that transfer it for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
So what's the turn-around time been like lately? I've heard some people say they've have theirs sent back as quickly as a day after the repair center received it. They got mine on Friday and I doubt they work weekends so I'm wondering when I can expect mine back.

[quote name='epb']So what's the turn-around time been like lately? I've heard some people say they've have theirs sent back as quickly as a day after the repair center received it. They got mine on Friday and I doubt they work weekends so I'm wondering when I can expect mine back.[/QUOTE]

I am wondering the same, mine just RROD after 2 years and 10 months. As much as it sucks, I am glad it failed now instead of May. Anyway, hopefully it will be back soon.

This is the end of an era.

My once repaired 360 from 1 red ring stopped displaying video entirely. Audio still works but looks like I have to buy a new 360. I'd buy a ps3 instead if it weren't for the fact that I wanted to play 360 exclusives.

[quote name='dwhelan']I am wondering the same, mine just RROD after 2 years and 10 months. As much as it sucks, I am glad it failed now instead of May. Anyway, hopefully it will be back soon.

This is the end of an era.[/quote]

The turn around will vary on your distance from Texas. :)
It took 3 days to get there UPS ground (from NY). They kept it for a day and half. They sent it back, but it's going to take 4 days to get here via UPS ground. So, it's essentially a two week turn around.

Wish they would spend the money for faster UPS service, but I'm sure they have a contract with UPS since everything gets shipped via them.

OK, so looks like the turn-around times are pretty decent. I shipped it last Monday, they got it Friday and yesterday, I got an e-mail saying the repair was complete and they were shipping it back. UPS tracking hasn't updated yet, though, so i don't think they've actually picked it up yet meaning I probably won't get it until next Monday.

It was about two weeks for me (probably less, if you only count business days), and I got the same console I sent in. A bit disappointed since I treated this thing like a baby, and it still died. It will die again (only a matter of time).

You can tell they definitely opened it, and worked on it, as it was a dirtier than when I sent it in. I'm not saying it looked like someone soiled on it, but it was far from the shiny machine I received when my ps3 was replaced by Sony.

It looks like I'll be getting the same console back, too. I'm wondering if that's actually a good thing. I would think they'd be able to fix it so that the problem doesn't come back in the future. Am I asking for too much here? Just curious, but are the folks that keep getting the RROD getting refurbs each time or are their consoles actually getting fixed?

Update: So I got mine back today (3/17) and it is actually a refurb. I'm sure this has been covered before, but I was shocked when i got the instructions telling me I had to re-download all my DLC again to update the licenses and be able to play them offline. I could still use it when I'm connected to Live, but I'd be pissed if my internet was down and couldn't play any DLC. I started doing it, and luckily, it just seems to update the license, not download every item. Still, I have tons of Rock Band DLC that I have to go through. A real pain in the ass. My other issue is that I have to reinstall any games I have on my HDD as they only work on the original console they were installed on. Real annoying.

Oh, and one last issue, my disc drive seems a lot noisier now. Not a good sign.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just sent mine out to Texas due to my drive not recognizing games half the time and dirty disc errors when playing games. I only have 10 days left on the original warranty so my procrastinating had to stop.

It will be interesting to see how quick the turnaround is.

So my Xbox Elite just died on me. I purchased it on 11/2007. I did the service request online and chose standard shipping. Now I just need wait for my box and label to arrive.

I would normally be really mad that something like this happened, but I seem to be calm. It's a good thing I'm starting a new job on Monday, so I will have less time to play it if it were still alive.

Am I supposed to receive an email confirmation of my Xbox service request?
edit: just received my email confirmation.

[quote name='shelisheli']do you need to have the reciepts or anything from when you buy the xbox?[/quote]

Nope, just enter the serial number when you request a repair and they'll figure out when you bought it.

Just got the E74 error message with the one red ring yesterday. Did it again on start up, so guess i gotta get more informed about this stuff, for what its worth...im a tx resident if that helps lol

i got a problem i need to know to to get the ring of death because my xbox 360 is out of warranty for 2 weeks and i called them up they said they can't help me and that i gotta pay 99 dollars but if i get the ring of death it will be free so the question is how do i because my xbox has the newer heat sink so when i try to overheat it than it just shuts down by itself so does anyone know a way where i can purposely get the ring of death any help will be greatly appreciated :) thanks

[quote name='jdeluis']Just sent out my box today. Now to wait and see how long it takes to arrive back.[/quote]

Sorry to hear that. Your 360 is about to take a Mexican vacation.:lol:

[quote name='jdeluis']Just sent out my box today. Now to wait and see how long it takes to arrive back.[/quote]

I sent mine last Wednesday afternoon and it they received it last night. It is in the repair phase right now and I am expecting another 5 days or so for them to ship it back.

Shit, mine died just now. Called ms to find out my warranty, had to update all my shit just to find out its out of warranty. Thanks.

Im really deciding on what to do. I can send it in for 100 to MS online, or try to sell it and wait for only cheap local on on craigslist, keeping my hd at least. I just bought CoD5 and was getting into it too. Im really thinking about selling it completely, but I got 600 ms pts on my account, and xbl till at least November.

Quick questions to those who might know the answers:

Edit: are there any fixes that actually work (other then the towel trick I seen a while ago)

Do people buy 360 rrod? How much can I get for it. Along with that I got a few games and controllers.
2 white ones, halo3 controller, halo3 LE, CoD5, Splinter cell double agent, oblivion, gta4, needforspeed most wanted, cod2 and pgr3. Console, power cable, hd av cables.

Just got my 360 back from microsoft. The turnaround time for the entire process of requesting a coffin to getting my box back took an impressive 12 days...and I got my own console. Not sure if it's such a good thing though as I was getting an increasing number of unreadable disc errors. (mostly on dvds though)

Overall, I'm quite satisfied with the process. Its helps when you can order a repair online and not have to get on the phone with someone from half way accross the globe.

[quote name='Eastsidecracker']Shit, mine died just now. Called ms to find out my warranty, had to update all my shit just to find out its out of warranty. Thanks.

Im really deciding on what to do. I can send it in for 100 to MS online, or try to sell it and wait for only cheap local on on craigslist, keeping my hd at least. I just bought CoD5 and was getting into it too. Im really thinking about selling it completely, but I got 600 ms pts on my account, and xbl till at least November.

Edit: are there any fixes that actually work (other then the towel trick I seen a while ago)

Do people buy 360 rrod? How much can I get for it. Along with that I got a few games and controllers.
2 white ones, halo3 controller, halo3 LE, CoD5, Splinter cell double agent, oblivion, gta4, needforspeed most wanted, cod2 and pgr3. Console, power cable, hd av cables.[/quote]

RRoD is covered for three years. So unless you bought your at launch or close to it, you should be fine.

MS phone support is run by a bunch of muppets. I'd request repairs through xbox.com if I were you. You would need to register your console first by entering your SN. Then you can request repairs. It will probably say that your standard warranty has expired. Don't worry about that and file for a repair anyways and make sure you select the 3 RRoD so that you aren't charged.

Is there an easy way to re-download everything after doing a license transfer? I go to my download history and it is at 685 items. All I really need to do is all my Rock Band content, since I will often bring my console somewhere for a RB get together and not have internet connection. Halp?

[quote name='destinywaste']RRoD is covered for three years. So unless you bought your at launch or close to it, you should be fine.

MS phone support is run by a bunch of muppets. I'd request repairs through xbox.com if I were you. You would need to register your console first by entering your SN. Then you can request repairs. It will probably say that your standard warranty has expired. Don't worry about that and file for a repair anyways and make sure you select the 3 RRoD so that you aren't charged.[/QUOTE]

Damn, I bought mine close to launch. Guy said it expired in dec. 08, so I guess I got it in dec 05. (I know I got it soon after release, definitely before March 06) He also said I didnt buy the extended warranty, which I did and recieved a paper that I now misplaced somewhere saying its under warranty, and told me if I had a receipt to prove I got the extended.

But for now, im going to sell everything that I have but the system, cables, a controller and hd. Eventually maybe sometime after classes during summer break Ill open it up and try to fix it myself based on :
http://www.instructables.com/id/S1U4K2JFBVHEEQ3/

I just really dont know if its going to be effective on my system.

So I was in the middle of playing left 4 dead and my 360 froze on me. When I turned it back on I was nervous thinking I might see a red ring yet the rings are perfectly normal. However my 360 is now freezing at the load up screen. It shows the Xbox logo and loads to the Dash but then my console freezes with my dash left on screen.

Anyone know what this is and if I am lucky enough to have a fix other then sending the console in? I just subrscribed to gamefly and had RE5 and L4D sent to play with my little brother this weekend....its going to majorly suck if my 360 is dead again!

[quote name='chinese_fury']Sorry to hear that. Your 360 is about to take a Mexican vacation.:lol:[/quote]

It seems to have arrived already, hope it doesn't come back with a sunburn. :lol:

[quote name='MSI Magus']So I was in the middle of playing left 4 dead and my 360 froze on me. When I turned it back on I was nervous thinking I might see a red ring yet the rings are perfectly normal. However my 360 is now freezing at the load up screen. It shows the Xbox logo and loads to the Dash but then my console freezes with my dash left on screen.

Anyone know what this is and if I am lucky enough to have a fix other then sending the console in? I just subrscribed to gamefly and had RE5 and L4D sent to play with my little brother this weekend....its going to majorly suck if my 360 is dead again![/quote]

Sorry to say those seem like early symptoms of the RRoD. The two red rings I've had started with game freezing to freezing on the xbox logo on startup. It took about a day or so for my console to get the dreaded red. I'd request a coffin if I were in your spot.

well I can hear death calling for my 360.

Frame rate drops when playing Mercenaries on RE5.

the drive struggling to rev up to install games.

damn you jaspers!!!

[quote name='ITDEFX']well I can hear death calling for my 360.

Frame rate drops when playing Mercenaries on RE5.

the drive struggling to rev up to install games.

damn you jaspers!!![/quote]

Sounds more like a disk drive failure than RROD to be, I had both happen to me and I had similar sysmtoms when the disk drive failed. Good news, its not a complete hardware failure, bad news not covered by the extended warenty so if your 1 year is up your screwed.

[quote name='Eastsidecracker']Shit, mine died just now. Called ms to find out my warranty, had to update all my shit just to find out its out of warranty. Thanks.

2 white ones, halo3 controller, halo3 LE, CoD5, Splinter cell double agent, oblivion, gta4, needforspeed most wanted, cod2 and pgr3. Console, power cable, hd av cables.[/quote]

People buy them, but you wont get much. These people usually buy them ar $50 a pice, use a cheap temp fix, and turn around and sell them at $200.

[quote name='kurokubushi']Sounds more like a disk drive failure than RROD to be, I had both happen to me and I had similar sysmtoms when the disk drive failed. Good news, its not a complete hardware failure, bad news not covered by the extended warenty so if your 1 year is up your screwed.[/quote]

Mine is an arcade jasper made 10/2008.... god damn drive!!!

I have a friend who had his unit repaired by ms, but now is having problems reading the FIFA disc. Wasn't the whole point of installing to the hard drive was to eliminate drive noise, reduce load times and reduce drive failures?!?!?!

Just got my 360 back for a drive problem (dirty disc, not recognizing games or DVDs). The whole process took 13 days. I had to reinstall Fallout 3 to the drive (since they must have swapped the entire guts) and got a dirty disc error the first two times I tried to install Fallout 3. I swear to god if this thing is broken again I am going to be pissed!

[quote name='ArthurDigbySellers']...And it just RROD'd. Seriously. One day back and it Red Rings on me. Guess I'm out a 360 for another 2 weeks. This is complete bullshit.[/QUOTE] lol sorry to hear that man. I think my 360 got the rrod also. About a week ago i was playing l4d and the console just turned off and I got the three red lights. I turned it off and back on again and everything was normal. So I've been playing for a couple of days normally until today. My 360 keeps on freezing, and it sometimes freezez and turns the screen striped green, or just red. Stupid microsoft....

[quote name='saggypockets']lol sorry to hear that man. I think my 360 got the rrod also. About a week ago i was playing l4d and the console just turned off and I got the three red lights. I turned it off and back on again and everything was normal. So I've been playing for a couple of days normally until today. My 360 keeps on freezing, and it sometimes freezez and turns the screen striped green, or just red. Stupid microsoft....[/QUOTE]

Definite RROD symptoms

ya thats what I figured. My mic wasn't working either. I was trying to talk to my friend on live and he couldn't hear me. Now i have to deal with microsoft. I thought I wouldn't get the rrod because I haven't played it that much until recently and because it was an elite, you know since there were people saying the elites are less likely to get the rrod.

My launch 360 finally died today. Guess its time to go use some of that gamestop credit and buy an arcade unit, hopefully I get a Jasper. This happened a little late to be a cruel April Fools Joke.

Sent my 1 day replacement 360 in this afternoon. Another 14 days of waiting to see what they give me this time. BTW, the last one they sent said it was a Falcon Pro on the box.

Is my 360 breaking down?

Its been about a year since i got this refubished one. Ive been playing GTA IV or TLAD and sometimes i get a pop up saying the disc is dirty after the fan stops spinning? I dunno if its the fan or the drive, but the noise stops, then i get the pop up. Now this game has nothing wrong with it. I even started it back up and did the same mission that gave me the dirty disc and it was fine the 2nd time. But i got another dirty disc error about 30 minutes later.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Is my 360 breaking down?

Its been about a year since i got this refubished one. Ive been playing GTA IV or TLAD and sometimes i get a pop up saying the disc is dirty after the fan stops spinning? I dunno if its the fan or the drive, but the noise stops, then i get the pop up. Now this game has nothing wrong with it. I even started it back up and did the same mission that gave me the dirty disc and it was fine the 2nd time. But i got another dirty disc error about 30 minutes later.[/quote]

That is what happened with my first unit. I started getting dirty disc errors when playing Skate 2 which was brand new. Then it wouldn't recognize that there was a disc in the system at all somtimes. It got to the point that it would give me a dirty disc error or not recognize a disc about 90% of the time and that is when I sent mine in.

The problem is that you are not going to be covered by any kind of warranty for a bad drive on a 1 year old refurbished unit.

Yeah im pretty sure this happened to me before. When i was plaiyng saints row and loading would be slow, then eventually it wouldnt read discs. Whenever i put a game in the tray it would read and then say insert disc. Crap. Damn man i hate calling xbox for help.

Hmmm i got another dirt disc error today. So i took my game out and it had marks on it. Like little marks, but they were able to be cleaned off. I dont know but they had to been from my xbox because i never took the game out since i last cleaned it off. But i dunno what could be causing it.

Just got my first RRoD. Had the 360 since June of 2007. I have a question though... is it ok to take off the faceplate when I send the unit in?

bread's done
Back